PDA

View Full Version : Re: Sewing Needle Suitable for Hand-Stitching Heavy Stuff Like Canvas and Carpet

ThJester99
August 2nd 03, 03:21 AM
Try a West Marine or internet for sail needles. I just bought an emergency
repair kit that inlcuded two straight needles and the needed curved needle, its
very beefy and allowed me to stich a patch for a batten pocket. It was only ten
bucks. They also sell a pack of sail makers needles for 25, but the kit has
then one you need for 10.

Big John
August 2nd 03, 04:32 AM
Larry

Try the leather hobby shops. That's where I got my last.

Also go to Google and search for "Leather sewing needles". Drill down
in the listings and you will find curved needles listed on a number of
sites (and Companys).

Big John

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 21:02:20 -0400, "Larry Smith"
> wrote:

>Here's what I need ---- a curved needle with a big eye you can stitch
>heavy stuff with. It needs to be about an inch long and in the shape of a
>crescent and capable of being abused, i. e., thrust in and out of the fabric
>by use of needle-nose pliers. Ever watch the surgeons use needles like
>that to stitch up living tissue. Where can you find these?
>
>The discount store ones I buy, like at WalMart, break too easily when you
>take the pliers to them.
>
>Who's the seamstress in the crowd? Damn, I'm gittin' good at upholstery.
>************************************
>
>Note to Billy: Whatcha buildin'? Got spoilers, slots, slats, elevons,
>spoilers, Fowlers, Frieses, winglets, VG's, and cuffs? Gates belt, hi-vo
>chain, spur gear, sun'n'planets, or hydramatic redrive?

patrick mitchel
August 2nd 03, 08:04 AM
Big John > wrote in message
> Larry
>
> Try the leather hobby shops. That's where I got my last.
>
> Also go to Google and search for "Leather sewing needles". Drill down
> in the listings and you will find curved needles listed on a number of
> sites (and Companys).
>
> Big John
>

> On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 21:02:20 -0400, "Larry Smith"
> > wrote:
>
> >Here's what I need ---- a curved needle with a big eye you can stitch
> >heavy stuff with. It needs to be about an inch long and in the shape of
> >crescent and capable of being abused, i. e., thrust in and out of the
fabric
> >by use of needle-nose pliers. Ever watch the surgeons use needles like
> >that to stitch up living tissue. Where can you find these?
> >
> >The discount store ones I buy, like at WalMart, break too easily when you
> >take the pliers to them.
> >
> >Who's the seamstress in the crowd? Damn, I'm gittin' good at upholstery.
> >************************************
> >
> >Note to Billy: Whatcha buildin'? Got spoilers, slots, slats, elevons,
> >spoilers, Fowlers, Frieses, winglets, VG's, and cuffs? Gates belt,
hi-vo
> >chain, spur gear, sun'n'planets, or hydramatic redrive?

pg2814, catalog #104 mcmaster-carr curved needles (12 per pack)9-18 dollah

Kyler Laird
August 5th 03, 05:18 AM
"Larry Smith" > writes:

>The discount store ones I buy, like at WalMart, break too easily when you
>take the pliers to them.

Why mess with pliers?!
http://www.ahh.biz/products/accessories/heavy%20duty%20sewing%20tool%20STH001.htm
(Mine is still in the box here...)

--kyler

Larry Smith
August 6th 03, 07:26 PM
AWLfully nice of you. Thanks to you and Pragmatist. For redundancy I am
ordering several different kinds of nurdles, making a few from welding rod,
and ordering Kyler's awl.

Bygosh, next time I'll be ready. Sewing up mah jackboots, velcroing the
mats to the airplane and the car, repairing the canvas seat in the
puddlejumper, and whatever else.

What a helluva nice newsgroup in spite of the occasional quarrel and the
pigdung plopped here by a few trolls like scurvy urban.

"Kyler Laird" > wrote in message
> "Larry Smith" > writes:
>
> >The discount store ones I buy, like at WalMart, break too easily when you
> >take the pliers to them.
>
> Why mess with pliers?!

http://www.ahh.biz/products/accessories/heavy%20duty%20sewing%20tool%20STH00
1.htm