PDA

View Full Version : Re: Ahhhh The joys of home building....

BD5ER
August 4th 03, 06:55 AM
>So, one week forward and one week back, plus a weeks worth of work to
>get back to where I started. Actually I have gained a lot even though
>it looks the same. Learned a bunch too.

Nice to know that I'm not the only one that grand plans that didn't happen. I
planned to skip Oshkosh this year and spend the time and money on my project.
Maybe even get the canard finished..........but some how I forgot to order a
bit of aluminum tube. Needed it to get the gear boxes finished and needed the
gear boxes finished before I could jig up the spar, so the canard parts are
back on the shelf.

At least there is no shortage of things to work on. So out came the hack saw
and I lopped of the back half of the fuselage to get the removable tail mod
done.

Made the attachment tabs, and glassed in the reinforcements. Got the fuselage
all ready to bolt back together, but spent 2 hours looking for the new bolts.
Must have thrown them back in the box they came in with the packing foam. Of
course the box is already part of the local land fill. So now not only is
there no canard glued on up front the fuselage is in 2 pieces. Trying to
explain why I just chopped my plane in half to the assorted confused visitors
also consumed a good deal of time. (they all think I'm nuts anyway and
probably just wanted to make sure I hadn't completly lost it.)

"Next year it flies to Oshkosh". Said that 2 years ago.

wmbjk
August 4th 03, 03:42 PM
"Roger Halstead" > wrote in message

> So, one week forward and one week back, plus a weeks worth of work to
> get back to where I started. Actually I have gained a lot even though
> it looks the same. Learned a bunch too.

I know the feeling. Not a homebuilding story but along the same "****
happens" vein - A couple weeks ago I headed out to the garage to take
care of a small project. Hit the button to open the garage door, it goes
up 6 inches and stops. <sigh> Tried it a few more times (like it was
going to cure itself), still no good. Trudge off to find the WD40, spray
all the wheels, the tracks, and both vehicles in the process, and now
the door rolls smoothly open. With the extra light I can see that one of
the car tires is flat <grumble cuss>. Half hour later I've finally
progressed to *getting ready* to work. Grab my gloves out of the van
which has been parked indoors. One glove won't go on, there's something
stuck in a finger. And the glove seems to be hissing. I shake it, yeah
it's hissing alright. Off to get my glasses and a flashlight, of which I
keep two in the top of the toolbox. Of course neither one is there and
damned if I can remember which projects I used them on last.
<&*^%^&it!!!> After circling the shop a few times I come up with a
flashlight and peek inside the glove. There's the backend of a big black
beetle taking up most of one finger. I shake the glove, even try
whirling it for centrifugal force, but he's determined to hang in there.
By squeezing the glove finger like a tube of toothpaste while
simultaneously reaming inside with a screwdriver, he finally lets go and
plops on the floor still hissing. At last I was ready to actually do
something productive.... and the rest of the day was all uphill from
there.

I had plenty of those SHappens days while building. I forgot most of the
details though the first time I pulled the stick back for real. It was
all worth it.

Wayne

Google