PDA

View Full Version : Re: question: differences between epoxy layup and plaster

Morgans
August 4th 03, 04:02 PM
"Frederick Wilson" > wrote in message
et...
> Hello all,
>
> I am doing a little remodel work on the house getting ready for the new
> baby in January. I am at the finishing point of the plaster/joint
> compound. Now let me tell you, I SUCK at that. I just could not get it
> smooth so I had A LOT of sanding. Had to make at least three attempts at
it.

> I was wondering, if one was to make a plastic (read as carbon fiber or
> fiberglass) is the layup the same as trying to get plaster smooth?
>
> I have pretty much settled for wood and fabric for my first attempt.
>
> Just thought I would ask.
>
> Thank you,
> Fred

There are some things the same between the two, but I must say that I know
much more about the sheetrock.

There are two things that will get you into trouble doing sheetrock. One is
playing with it too much. You have to put it on, smooth it out and move on.
The more you try to smooth it, the more it messes up. Two, is not taking
enough off. The goal is to leave the smoothest transition you can get
between the mud and the dry sheetrock. That means taking off more than you
think you should.

Experienced mud men do very little or no sanding between coats. (3 coats)
Sme use a corner trowel, but some only do one side of a corner at a time,
then do the other side once the first side is dry.

There is a new gadget that I recently got that also is a godsend. It is a
sander block that hooks to a shop vac. It not only cuts way down on the
dust, but the suction helps put the pressure needed on the wall.

In fiberglass work, geeting rid of air pockets and putting too much on are
your enemies, so that is about where the comparison ends.
--
---Jim in NC---

Barnyard BOb --
August 4th 03, 04:19 PM
"Morgans" <post/the/group.here.net> wrote:

>There are some things the same between the two, but I must say that I know
>much more about the sheetrock.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HAH!

You dunno know SHEET from SHINOLA.

Barnyard BOb -

BD5ER
August 4th 03, 05:51 PM
>I was wondering, if one was to make a plastic (read as carbon fiber or
>fiberglass) is the layup the same as trying to get plaster smooth?

I find the 2 very similar, but the sheet rock is a whole lot easier to sand and
you don't have to be precise. It just has to look good. This is true of
fuselages but wings have to be "right".

Don't let that scare you away from a glass plane. The work required is really
not as much as most claim - if - IF - you do good work from the foam up.

Same as sheet rock. If you have to cover up a poor foundation you have more
work.

Roger Halstead
August 6th 03, 04:46 AM
On 04 Aug 2003 16:51:13 GMT, (BD5ER) wrote:

>>I was wondering, if one was to make a plastic (read as carbon fiber or
>>fiberglass) is the layup the same as trying to get plaster smooth?
>
>I find the 2 very similar, but the sheet rock is a whole lot easier to sand and
>you don't have to be precise. It just has to look good. This is true of
>fuselages but wings have to be "right".

I find the glass easier to work with, but I can't cut a board in two
and put it back together straight.

Then again, I'm working a lot with pre molded shells, and closed cell
foam that is used in the sandwich type construction.

I find the sanding more difficult with glass, but the lay-ups much
easier. You slop on the resin, work it in, work out the air bubbles,
put on a layer of peel ply and work out the excess resin which tends
to wick out through the peel ply.

OTOH, I ain't no expert at this stuff.

>Don't let that scare you away from a glass plane. The work required is really
>not as much as most claim - if - IF - you do good work from the foam up.
>
>Same as sheet rock. If you have to cover up a poor foundation you have more
>work.
Since I started comparing my lay-ups to the factory lay-ups and vacuum
bagging, I feel a lot better about my work. <:-))

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Google