PDA

View Full Version : A Falco's wing

Lou
February 11th 07, 06:39 PM
Can anyone tell me what covering is used on a Falco?
I'm pretty sure it's plywood, but is it 100% plywood?
Anyone know how thick? Also, is there anything over the plywood like
dacron
or fiberglass?
Lou

Kyle Boatright
February 11th 07, 06:49 PM
The skin is plywood with a layer of fairly thin fiberglass cloth.

"Lou" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Can anyone tell me what covering is used on a Falco?
> I'm pretty sure it's plywood, but is it 100% plywood?
> Anyone know how thick? Also, is there anything over the plywood like
> dacron
> or fiberglass?
> Lou

Orval Fairbairn
February 11th 07, 08:40 PM
In article om>,
"Lou" > wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what covering is used on a Falco?
> I'm pretty sure it's plywood, but is it 100% plywood?
> Anyone know how thick? Also, is there anything over the plywood like
> dacron
> or fiberglass?
> Lou

Standard procedure on a plywood-covered surface is to use "balloon
cloth" (lightweight Dacron) doped to the wood and shrunk, to give a
nice, smooth surface.

Philippe Vessaire[_2_]
March 23rd 07, 08:40 PM
Lou wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what covering is used on a Falco?
> I'm pretty sure it's plywood, but is it 100% plywood?
> Anyone know how thick? Also, is there anything over the plywood like
> dacron or fiberglass?
You may cover the wing with fiberglas, it's not realy heavier, bur the
finnish is nicer.

By
--
Volem rien foutre al païs!
Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬

Bob Kuykendall
March 23rd 07, 09:30 PM
On Feb 11, 11:39 am, "Lou" > wrote:

> Anyone know how thick?

I believe it's mostly 2mm and 2.5mm.

Bob K.

Ed Sullivan
March 23rd 07, 10:01 PM
On 23 Mar 2007 14:30:07 -0700, "Bob Kuykendall" >
wrote:

>On Feb 11, 11:39 am, "Lou" > wrote:
>
>> Anyone know how thick?
>
>I believe it's mostly 2mm and 2.5mm.
>
>Bob K.

I believe Tony Bingelis used model airplane wt.fiberglas on his
Emereaud. I used it as the final layer on my wing leading edge and
tips as well as the empennage tips it is very smooth.

Lou
March 24th 07, 12:42 PM

> I believe Tony Bingelis used model airplane wt.fiberglas on his
> Emereaud. I used it as the final layer on my wing leading edge and
> tips as well as the empennage tips it is very smooth.

Your right Ed,
Tony used the model airplane fiberglas but I thought he only used it
on the fuselage, not the wing. I could be wrong, (not the first time),
but
he used it just for a thin finish of smoothness.
Lou

Lee McGee
March 26th 07, 10:06 PM
The certified Bellanca Viking had mahogany plywood wing surfaces, covered
with regular dacron fabric and dope.

Mine was then sanded and finished in Imron, was absolutely mirror-like.

Construction must have been very similar to Falco.

Lee McGee

"Philippe Vessaire" > wrote in message
> Lou wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me what covering is used on a Falco?
>> I'm pretty sure it's plywood, but is it 100% plywood?
>> Anyone know how thick? Also, is there anything over the plywood like
>> dacron or fiberglass?
> You may cover the wing with fiberglas, it's not realy heavier, bur the
> finnish is nicer.
>
> By
> --
> Volem rien foutre al païs!
> Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬

Dale Martin
March 26th 07, 10:52 PM
The last time I was at Oshkosh I talked to several Falco builders. Some
covered their plywood with dacron and some with fiberglass. The ones
covered in fiberglass were having some cracking problems (around the
tail). There will be a Falco fly-in at Chino Airport in Southern
California on Sep 22 with 13 to 15 Falco in attendance.

Lee McGee wrote:
> The certified Bellanca Viking had mahogany plywood wing surfaces, covered
> with regular dacron fabric and dope.
>
> Mine was then sanded and finished in Imron, was absolutely mirror-like.
>
> Construction must have been very similar to Falco.
>

> Lee McGee
>

> "Philippe Vessaire" > wrote in message
>
>>Lou wrote:
>>

>>>Can anyone tell me what covering is used on a Falco?
>>>I'm pretty sure it's plywood, but is it 100% plywood?
>>>Anyone know how thick? Also, is there anything over the plywood like
>>>dacron or fiberglass?
>>
>>You may cover the wing with fiberglas, it's not realy heavier, bur the
>>finnish is nicer.
>>
>>By
>>--
>>Volem rien foutre al païs!