PDA

View Full Version : RFDS Cessna 180

Russell
February 25th 07, 11:50 AM
This aircraft has a bit of history. The Royal Flying Doctors Srvice used
this 180 out of Meekathara in Western Australia from 1960 - 1970. Almost
20 years later the man who was its pilot during much of that time came
across it sitting in a farm shed. 2 morgages and few years later he has it
fully restored using even the original instruments (in the cockpit photo the
original clock is missing, it was being repaired). It is now flying and very
much a part of the WA aviation scene.

Ken Barnes
February 25th 07, 05:13 PM
Russell,

I have a friend who is currently building an R/C model of the Cessna 180. If
you have other photographs of this aircraft could you post them also, or if
you don't think they are good enough to post, send me the pictures directly?

I know that my friend would appreciate the photos, and having a different
paint scheme to consider for his model.

Thanks
Ken

"Russell" > wrote in message
u...
> This aircraft has a bit of history. The Royal Flying Doctors Srvice used
> this 180 out of Meekathara in Western Australia from 1960 - 1970. Almost
> 20 years later the man who was its pilot during much of that time came
> across it sitting in a farm shed. 2 morgages and few years later he has it
> fully restored using even the original instruments (in the cockpit photo
> the original clock is missing, it was being repaired). It is now flying
> and very much a part of the WA aviation scene.

Russell
February 26th 07, 07:14 AM
This is my only other photo. I can not promise but I do know where this
aircraft is kept. If I get a chance soon I will try to get more photos of
it.

"Ken Barnes" > wrote in message
. ..
> Russell,
>
> I have a friend who is currently building an R/C model of the Cessna 180.
> If
> you have other photographs of this aircraft could you post them also, or
> if
> you don't think they are good enough to post, send me the pictures
> directly?
>
> I know that my friend would appreciate the photos, and having a different
> paint scheme to consider for his model.
>
> Thanks
> Ken
>
> "Russell" > wrote in message
> u...
>> This aircraft has a bit of history. The Royal Flying Doctors Srvice used
>> this 180 out of Meekathara in Western Australia from 1960 - 1970.
>> Almost
>> 20 years later the man who was its pilot during much of that time came
>> across it sitting in a farm shed. 2 morgages and few years later he has
>> it
>> fully restored using even the original instruments (in the cockpit photo
>> the original clock is missing, it was being repaired). It is now flying
>> and very much a part of the WA aviation scene.

TACAN[_2_]
February 26th 07, 11:42 AM
Hi Marta
This is certainly a very beautiful plane - a credit to the dedicated (and
talented) person who restored it.

In what capacity was the C180 used - it seems way "too small" to do the full
aero-medical service - so I'm just guessing that it was used to transport
medical personell to the stations for the day clinics. ???

--

Nostrovia!
Graham.

Remove the obvious bit to reply:-
"Russell" > wrote in message
u...
> This aircraft has a bit of history. The Royal Flying Doctors Srvice used
> this 180 out of Meekathara in Western Australia from 1960 - 1970. Almost
> 20 years later the man who was its pilot during much of that time came
> across it sitting in a farm shed. 2 morgages and few years later he has it
> fully restored using even the original instruments (in the cockpit photo
> the original clock is missing, it was being repaired). It is now flying
> and very much a part of the WA aviation scene.

TACAN[_2_]
February 26th 07, 11:47 AM
<ahem> <blush> :-)

Should have said:- Hi Russel

Apologies

--

"TACAN" > wrote in message
> Hi Marta
> This is certainly a very beautiful plane - a credit to the dedicated (and
> talented) person who restored it.
>
> In what capacity was the C180 used - it seems way "too small" to do the
> full aero-medical service - so I'm just guessing that it was used to
> transport medical personell to the stations for the day clinics. ???
>
> --
>
> Nostrovia!
> Graham.
> It is bad luck to be superstitious.
> - Andrew W. Mathis -
>
> Remove the obvious bit to reply:-
>
> "Russell" > wrote in message
> u...
>> This aircraft has a bit of history. The Royal Flying Doctors Srvice used
>> this 180 out of Meekathara in Western Australia from 1960 - 1970.
>> Almost 20 years later the man who was its pilot during much of that time
>> came across it sitting in a farm shed. 2 morgages and few years later he
>> has it fully restored using even the original instruments (in the cockpit
>> photo the original clock is missing, it was being repaired). It is now
>> flying and very much a part of the WA aviation scene.

Russell
February 26th 07, 02:14 PM
The placed a stretcher in the back with the seat folded down for patient
transfer. He even had a baby delivered by the nurse while flying. The wet,
sloppy baby was placed on his lap during the flight as the nurse tendered to
the Mum. And yep it was cramped

"TACAN" > wrote in message
> Hi Marta
> This is certainly a very beautiful plane - a credit to the dedicated (and
> talented) person who restored it.
>
> In what capacity was the C180 used - it seems way "too small" to do the
> full aero-medical service - so I'm just guessing that it was used to
> transport medical personell to the stations for the day clinics. ???
>
> --
>
> Nostrovia!
> Graham.
> It is bad luck to be superstitious.
> - Andrew W. Mathis -
>
> Remove the obvious bit to reply:-
>
> "Russell" > wrote in message
> u...
>> This aircraft has a bit of history. The Royal Flying Doctors Srvice used
>> this 180 out of Meekathara in Western Australia from 1960 - 1970.
>> Almost 20 years later the man who was its pilot during much of that time
>> came across it sitting in a farm shed. 2 morgages and few years later he
>> has it fully restored using even the original instruments (in the cockpit
>> photo the original clock is missing, it was being repaired). It is now
>> flying and very much a part of the WA aviation scene.

Ken Barnes
February 27th 07, 02:40 AM
Russell,

I know my friend would appreciate any photos that you could get. He mostly
would need photos of the paint and markings. He already has plenty of detail
photos of a couple of different 180's.

Thanks again
Ken
"Russell" > wrote in message
> This is my only other photo. I can not promise but I do know where this
> aircraft is kept. If I get a chance soon I will try to get more photos of
> it.
>
> "Ken Barnes" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Russell,
>>
>> I have a friend who is currently building an R/C model of the Cessna 180.
>> If
>> you have other photographs of this aircraft could you post them also, or
>> if
>> you don't think they are good enough to post, send me the pictures
>> directly?
>>
>> I know that my friend would appreciate the photos, and having a different
>> paint scheme to consider for his model.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ken
>>
>> "Russell" > wrote in message
>> u...
>>> This aircraft has a bit of history. The Royal Flying Doctors Srvice used
>>> this 180 out of Meekathara in Western Australia from 1960 - 1970.
>>> Almost
>>> 20 years later the man who was its pilot during much of that time came
>>> across it sitting in a farm shed. 2 morgages and few years later he has
>>> it
>>> fully restored using even the original instruments (in the cockpit photo
>>> the original clock is missing, it was being repaired). It is now flying
>>> and very much a part of the WA aviation scene.

Mike Mackenzie
February 27th 07, 07:35 AM
"Russell" > wrote (in part):

>This aircraft has a bit of history. The Royal Flying Doctors Srvice used
>this 180 out of Meekathara in Western Australia from 1960 - 1970. Almost
>20 years later the man who was its pilot during much of that time came
>across it sitting in a farm shed. 2 morgages and few years later he has it
>fully restored using even the original instruments (in the cockpit photo the
>original clock is missing, it was being repaired).

There appear to be a few "ring-ins" in the instrument panel that
weren't around when this aircraft was built! Nice restoration,
however.

> It is now flying and very
>much a part of the WA aviation scene.

--
Mike Mackenzie (AVCOM Services)
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA

Russell
February 27th 07, 01:07 PM
"Mike Mackenzie" > wrote in message
> "Russell" > wrote (in part):
>
>>This aircraft has a bit of history. The Royal Flying Doctors Srvice used
>>this 180 out of Meekathara in Western Australia from 1960 - 1970. Almost
>>20 years later the man who was its pilot during much of that time came
>>across it sitting in a farm shed. 2 morgages and few years later he has it
>>fully restored using even the original instruments (in the cockpit photo
>>the
>>original clock is missing, it was being repaired).
>
> There appear to be a few "ring-ins" in the instrument panel that
> weren't around when this aircraft was built! Nice restoration,
> however.

Mainly the radio and the gps

>> It is now flying and very
>>much a part of the WA aviation scene.
>>

> --
> Mike Mackenzie (AVCOM Services)
> Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
> Remove "XYZ" from the "Reply to" address when responding by email.

Google