PDA

View Full Version : SOARING IN SCOTLAND

February 28th 07, 11:43 PM
Some time ago, I had a post here on r.a.s. asking about soaring sites
in the Lakes District in the U.K.. Big change in plans, we are now
going to Scotland in July instead. My initial enquiry to a specific
soaring site there was left unanswered, so here I go again: where does
one go for a possible dual flight in Scotland. Thanks.

Cheers, Charles

Chris Nicholas
March 1st 07, 01:20 AM
Aboyne (best for wave, but furthest to travel).

Portmoak (good wave and ridge, less far).

Look at the BGA web site, click on "find a club", and see contact
details from there.

Chris N.

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

Mark Dickson
March 1st 07, 01:24 AM
Portmoak, 7 days a week.

At 23:48 28 February 2007, wrote:
>Some time ago, I had a post here on r.a.s. asking about
>soaring sites
>in the Lakes District in the U.K.. Big change in plans,
>we are now
>going to Scotland in July instead. My initial enquiry
>to a specific
>soaring site there was left unanswered, so here I go
>again: where does
>one go for a possible dual flight in Scotland. Thanks.
>
>Cheers, Charles

Al Eddie
March 1st 07, 08:51 AM
Charles.

I've e-mailed you privately. Look forward to seeing
you.

Al

At 23:48 28 February 2007, wrote:
>Some time ago, I had a post here on r.a.s. asking about
>soaring sites
>in the Lakes District in the U.K.. Big change in plans,
>we are now
>going to Scotland in July instead. My initial enquiry
>to a specific
>soaring site there was left unanswered, so here I go
>again: where does
>one go for a possible dual flight in Scotland. Thanks.
>
>Cheers, Charles

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.

Mal[_3_]
March 1st 07, 09:55 AM
Portmoak was great when I went many years ago.

Mal

www.mals.net

John Galloway[_1_]
March 1st 07, 03:25 PM
What part of Scotland are you intending to vist?

The Scottish Gliding Centre at Portmoak Airfield is
located in the central part of Scotland about 40 minutes
drive from Edinburgh. It is by far the major gliding
club in Scotland, has about half of the total Scottish
membership and operates 7 days a week. There is a
full time bookable instructor as well as the voluntary
instructors. We have K21s and a DG500 20m for dual
flying.

http://www.scottishglidingcentre.co.uk/

John Galloway

At 23:48 28 February 2007, wrote:
>Some time ago, I had a post here on r.a.s. asking about
>soaring sites
>in the Lakes District in the U.K.. Big change in plans,
>we are now
>going to Scotland in July instead. My initial enquiry
>to a specific
>soaring site there was left unanswered, so here I go
>again: where does
>one go for a possible dual flight in Scotland. Thanks.
>
>Cheers, Charles

March 2nd 07, 03:03 AM
Deeside Gliding Club are a friendly bunch:

http://www.deesideglidingclub.co.uk/

March 2nd 07, 03:08 AM
And Cairngorm:

http://www.gliding.org/

Mike Lindsay
March 2nd 07, 08:14 PM
In article om>,
writes
>Some time ago, I had a post here on r.a.s. asking about soaring sites
>in the Lakes District in the U.K.. Big change in plans, we are now
>going to Scotland in July instead. My initial enquiry to a specific
>soaring site there was left unanswered, so here I go again: where does
>one go for a possible dual flight in Scotland. Thanks.
>
>Cheers, Charles

Portmoak. Across the Forth Bridge from Edinburgh. Field with soarable
hills.
Aboyne. Narrow strip. Excellent wave site. Busy.

Feshiebridge. Caingorm Gliding Club. Another excellent wave site.
Friendly and helpful members.

Easterton. About two miles south of Elgin, Morayshire. Lots of high
ground to the south, two military airfields to the north, who are pretty
co-operative. Very pleasant and welcoming members.

Try BGA website for contact details.
--
Mike Lindsay

Valerie Alexander
March 17th 07, 09:01 PM
Hello

Just noticed your post about Soaring in Scotland when I was revisiting =
mine about soaring in Arizona and Ohio. I am a member at Portmoak, =
certainly good facilities there - about 40 minutes from Edinburgh, 50 =
from Glasgow, 30 from Perth, 30 from Dundee.=20

I was really helped out by a couple of people who responded personally =
to my post and I am now lined up to visit Tuscon Soaring club and Ceasar =
Creek, Ohio next week and the week after, with contacts there who are =
going to look out for me. If I can be of any help in a similar way, let =
me know.

Works for any other tourist advice too :)

Kind regards,

Val.

Google