PDA

View Full Version : Are you having USA OLC2007 inquiry problems? Do not use SSA link!!

March 1st 07, 04:44 PM
Mystery solved:

The light just went on when helping a fellow Snowbird figure out why
he was having date inquiry issues for USA flights 'yesterday'....

He luckily stated that he always went to ssa.org and used their OLC
link.... THIS IS AN OLD, NOW INCORRECT, LINK!

Do not use the SSA page link until it has been fixed, it send you to
an old web page which still exists, but it has bugs and will not work.
If anyone has stroek with teh SSA webmaster, suggest that the link be
changed or made to point to a 'safer' starting point during
development. Or have it tested weekly.

No wonder you guys have shown some frustration.

Always start with a fresh link from: http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/segelflugszene/

at least until the web page names get more stable.

Today, USA can ge viewed at:
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/getScoring.html?scoringId=1&country=US&subcountry=

.... but keep in mind even this link may change while they are
developing new programs.

Canadians have a similar issue on their SAC.ca site, but the 'bad
link' gets resolved by the OLC page itself.

I had reported this issue to the OLC Help earlier this week, so soon
the old link file names may be removed so at least you get a totally
failed link rather than what appears as a good link with bugs.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Frank Whiteley
March 1st 07, 05:22 PM
On Mar 1, 9:44 am, wrote:
> Mystery solved:
>
> The light just went on when helping a fellow Snowbird figure out why
> he was having date inquiry issues for USA flights 'yesterday'....
>
> He luckily stated that he always went to ssa.org and used their OLC
> link.... THIS IS AN OLD, NOW INCORRECT, LINK!
>
> Do not use the SSA page link until it has been fixed, it send you to
> an old web page which still exists, but it has bugs and will not work.
> If anyone has stroek with teh SSA webmaster, suggest that the link be
> changed or made to point to a 'safer' starting point during
> development. Or have it tested weekly.
>
> No wonder you guys have shown some frustration.
>
> Always start with a fresh link from:http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/segelflugszene/
>
> at least until the web page names get more stable.
>
> Today, USA can ge viewed at:http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/getScoring.html?scoringI...
>
> ... but keep in mind even this link may change while they are
> developing new programs.
>
> Canadians have a similar issue on their SAC.ca site, but the 'bad
> link' gets resolved by the OLC page itself.
>
> I had reported this issue to the OLC Help earlier this week, so soon
> the old link file names may be removed so at least you get a totally
> failed link rather than what appears as a good link with bugs.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Bob

I notice a couple of things happening, though the frame page SSA link
was updated recently to worldwide.

If you look at the OLC news, there was a 'mega' update 2/22/2007.

I note that it takes a while at time (even on broadband) for the date
menus to fully populate. If the USA national or a regional link is
chosen, only dates where a flight was submitted are populated on the
date menu (though it works fine once populated). Also, the SSA banner
is loaded at the top of the page (same banner as the SSA top frame).
It does the same for Canada, nationally or by region.

Though it works fine, it would probably be better for the SSA link to
abandon the frames and pop a new window to that link you indicated.

My glider came off ground cover today. Hopefully I'll soon have
flight to submit;^)

Frank Whiteley

March 1st 07, 08:42 PM
> I note that it takes a while at time (even on broadband) for the date
> menus to fully populate. >
> Frank Whiteley-

My guess is the dates are nearly the last stuff in the data stream of
the page, so they appear to take a long time. They ar enot much data
at all, logos and pictures will take the time. Wonder if they
considered the dial up world at some club sites. But I guess if you
design to the old world, nothing gets much better.

These dates will be refreshed every time you change selection
criteria. So if you change region, the dates reflect only that region.
I guess this was better than trying to show a month's calendar and
highlight dates which match the selection criteria.

Web pages such as this are getting so sophisticated, maybe eliminating
frames would be best. And direct links or URL's need to be at a fairly
'high' (ie: safe) level to avoid problems of development changing
names.

Google