PDA

View Full Version : News server problems on just this group

Chris W
August 6th 03, 08:13 PM
Is there anyone on this group that uses one of the following new
servers.

news.cox.net
news.central.cox.net
news.west.cox.net

nslookup will tell you that they are all mapped to 68.6.19.6

I can't access this group with that server, and so far can't get cox to
do anything about it. I have no problem using every other news group I
have tried. And I was wondering if anyone here has had similar
problems?

Here is the problem I am having. When I subscribe to
rec.aviation.homebuilt it says there are 70,000+ new messages to
download. When I request it to download all new message headers it only
downloads about 2,000 messages, any subsequent attempts to get new
messages results in nothing. I can try again days latter and get
nothing new. Obviously I can post. If I want to read new messages I
have to delete the news group, close the news reader and then start the
process all over again. I would love to tell cox that there are other
users that have this same problem.

--
Chris Woodhouse
Oklahoma City

"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania

David H. Uhrbrock
August 6th 03, 09:00 PM
I use news.west.cox.net without any problems.

Take care.

DHU

"Chris W" > wrote in message
> Is there anyone on this group that uses one of the following new
> servers.
>
> news.cox.net
> news.central.cox.net
> news.west.cox.net
>
> nslookup will tell you that they are all mapped to 68.6.19.6
>
> I can't access this group with that server, and so far can't get cox to
> do anything about it. I have no problem using every other news group I
> have tried. And I was wondering if anyone here has had similar
> problems?
>
> Here is the problem I am having. When I subscribe to
> rec.aviation.homebuilt it says there are 70,000+ new messages to
> download. When I request it to download all new message headers it only
> downloads about 2,000 messages, any subsequent attempts to get new
> messages results in nothing. I can try again days latter and get
> nothing new. Obviously I can post. If I want to read new messages I
> have to delete the news group, close the news reader and then start the
> process all over again. I would love to tell cox that there are other
> users that have this same problem.
>
> --
> Chris Woodhouse
> Oklahoma City
>
> "They that can give up essential liberty
> to obtain a little temporary safety
> deserve neither liberty nor safety."
> -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania

Chris W
August 6th 03, 09:22 PM
"David H. Uhrbrock" wrote:

> I use news.west.cox.net without any problems.
>
> Take care.

What news reader do you use?

--
Chris Woodhouse
Oklahoma City

"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania

David H. Uhrbrock
August 6th 03, 09:39 PM
Outlook Express 6.0

DHU

"Chris W" > wrote in message
> "David H. Uhrbrock" wrote:
>
> > I use news.west.cox.net without any problems.
> >
> > Take care.
>
> What news reader do you use?
>
> --
> Chris Woodhouse
> Oklahoma City
>
> "They that can give up essential liberty
> to obtain a little temporary safety
> deserve neither liberty nor safety."
> -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania

Chris W
August 8th 03, 01:39 AM
"Bruce A. Frank" wrote:

> I'd suspect it could be your reader. I have had exactly the same
> problems and it all came down to the news reader in Netscape and another
> time Outlook Express. A setting was incorrect and didn't get fixed until
> I uninstalled and reinstalled.

I have tried at least 5 different news readers on 3 different computers and I
have uninstalled and reinstalled the software several times. So I am pretty
sure it is something wrong on the server not my end, I'm not sure how I could
be more sure it is a server problem.

--
Chris Woodhouse
Oklahoma City

"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania

Barnyard BOb --
August 8th 03, 12:04 PM
>Chris
>
>Have you called your ISP to see if they are having any problems?
>
>Big John
>
>Just closing another loop hole.

If they are anything like the last dozen ISP's I've had...
They all were the last to know doodly-squat.

All they know is to get you to re-install everything
you have or own and then reboot it all. By then....
the hardware/software faux pas that was really on them
in the first place has been secretly resolved, making you
believe that all the blood, sweat and tears you have gone
through has paid off handsomely.

Grrrr.

Barnyard BOb --

Rich S.
August 8th 03, 03:21 PM
"Barnyard BOb --" > wrote in message

> If they are anything like the last dozen ISP's I've had...
> They all were the last to know doodly-squat.
>
> All they know is to get you to re-install everything
> you have or own and then reboot it all. By then....
> the hardware/software faux pas that was really on them
> in the first place has been secretly resolved, making you
> believe that all the blood, sweat and tears you have gone
> through has paid off handsomely.
>
> Grrrr.

Truer words were never uddered.

Rich S.

Barnyard BOb --
August 8th 03, 03:31 PM

>> If they are anything like the last dozen ISP's I've had...
>> They all were the last to know doodly-squat.
>>
>> All they know is to get you to re-install everything
>> you have or own and then reboot it all. By then....
>> the hardware/software faux pas that was really on them
>> in the first place has been secretly resolved, making you
>> believe that all the blood, sweat and tears you have gone
>> through has paid off handsomely.
>>
>> Grrrr.
>
>Truer words were never uddered.
>
>Rich S.
++++++++++++++++++++++

Udders?
MO0_ooooo.

Barnyard BOb - how now, brown cow?

Big John
August 8th 03, 04:55 PM
BOb

Have had that happen also but on occasion they do help. I think your
suggestion to try another ISP (free one) to check out system is a good
idea.

Big John

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 06:04:45 -0500, Barnyard BOb -- >
wrote:

>>Chris
>>
>>Have you called your ISP to see if they are having any problems?
>>
>>Big John
>>
>>Just closing another loop hole.
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
>If they are anything like the last dozen ISP's I've had...
>They all were the last to know doodly-squat.
>
>All they know is to get you to re-install everything
>you have or own and then reboot it all. By then....
>the hardware/software faux pas that was really on them
>in the first place has been secretly resolved, making you
>believe that all the blood, sweat and tears you have gone
>through has paid off handsomely.
>
>Grrrr.
>

>Barnyard BOb --

Barnyard BOb --
August 9th 03, 02:32 AM
>BOb
>
>Have had that happen also but on occasion they do help. I think your
>suggestion to try another ISP (free one) to check out system is a good
>idea.
>
>Big John

I mentioned a FREE SERVER, not a another ISP.
However, that might be a good idea, too. <g>

Barnyarad BOb

>On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 06:04:45 -0500, Barnyard BOb -- >
>wrote:
>

>>>Chris
>>>
>>>Have you called your ISP to see if they are having any problems?
>>>
>>>Big John
>>>
>>>Just closing another loop hole.
>>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>
>>If they are anything like the last dozen ISP's I've had...
>>They all were the last to know doodly-squat.
>>
>>All they know is to get you to re-install everything
>>you have or own and then reboot it all. By then....
>>the hardware/software faux pas that was really on them
>>in the first place has been secretly resolved, making you
>>believe that all the blood, sweat and tears you have gone
>>through has paid off handsomely.
>>
>>Grrrr.
>>

>>Barnyard BOb --

Google