PDA

View Full Version : Slighty OT-A Cruise Missille In Flight

RL Anderson
March 27th 07, 03:47 AM
Hi Folks,

First off, apologize for the long URLs.

Was visiting a geek site the other day, and ran across a really cool
shot. It is a shot of a cruise missile in flight. The addy for this
shot, located on Google maps, is as follows:

>http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=38%C2%B013%2736.38%22N,+112%C2%B017%2756.59%22W&layer=&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=18&ll=38.22631,-112.298598&spn=0.002284,0.006738&t=k&iwloc=addr

I found that this was really neat, and wanted to share it with everyone.
It's not real often when something like this would happen. I decided
to research where this shot was taken. As best I can figure, it was
taken north of Circleville Utah. Here is the page where I ended up:

>http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=38%C2%B013%2736.38%22N,+112%C2%B017%2756.59%22W&layer=&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=9&ll=38.183148,-112.298126&spn=1.170144,3.449707

I will yield to anyone who is a "local" to southwest or south central
Utah. I don't know where this missile was headed. I was stationed at
Hill AFB (a.k.a. "Hill Field") for four years, but I'm not very
conversant in that part of the state. I just thought that the folks in
this NG would find it interesting.

Enjoy.

Rick

Crash Lander[_1_]
March 27th 07, 03:59 AM
"RL Anderson" > wrote in message
>It is a shot of a cruise missile in flight.
> Rick

Actually, I don't believe it is. Have another look at the photo. It actually
appears to be a normal passenger type aircraft with dark painted wings. You
can actually see the wings in the photo if you look properly. Plus, there
are 2 engine vapour trails. Does a cruise missile have 2 sources of
propulsion or 1? I'm not sure.
Extend those vapour trails back towards the craft, and they do indeed appear
to come from precisely where normal aircraft engines would be mounted.
Crash Lander

bsalai
March 27th 07, 11:17 AM
Crash Lander wrote:
> "RL Anderson" > wrote in message
>> It is a shot of a cruise missile in flight.
>> Rick
>
> Actually, I don't believe it is. Have another look at the photo. It actually
> appears to be a normal passenger type aircraft with dark painted wings. You
> can actually see the wings in the photo if you look properly. Plus, there
> are 2 engine vapour trails. Does a cruise missile have 2 sources of
> propulsion or 1? I'm not sure.
> Extend those vapour trails back towards the craft, and they do indeed appear
> to come from precisely where normal aircraft engines would be mounted.
> Crash Lander

Also, there is a faint, light blue shadow(?) just above and slightly to
the right, just over the green arrow, which has full length wings. You
can see it even better in the next highest zoom setting.

It is a really cool picture though!

Brad

Kev
March 27th 07, 04:01 PM
On Mar 26, 10:59 pm, "Crash Lander" > wrote:
> "RL Anderson" > wrote in message

> >It is a shot of a cruise missile in flight.
> > Rick
>
> Actually, I don't believe it is. Have another look at the photo. It actually
> appears to be a normal passenger type aircraft with dark painted wings. You
> can actually see the wings in the photo if you look properly. Plus, there
> are 2 engine vapour trails. [..]

Plus using the scale at the lower left, you can see that it has a
wingspan of about 100', making it 737 / etc sized.

Still, it is fun finding ships and planes on satellite photos.

Kev

Marco Leon
March 27th 07, 05:53 PM
"Kev" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Still, it is fun finding ships and planes on satellite photos.

www.virtualglobetrotting.com

Have a ball.

Marco

Jim Stewart
March 27th 07, 09:11 PM
RL Anderson wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> First off, apologize for the long URLs.
>
> Was visiting a geek site the other day, and ran across a really cool
> shot. It is a shot of a cruise missile in flight. The addy for this
> shot, located on Google maps, is as follows:
>
> >http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=38%C2%B013%2736.38%22N,+112%C2%B017%2756.59%22W&layer=&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=18&ll=38.22631,-112.298598&spn=0.002284,0.006738&t=k&iwloc=addr

MD80 with black wings. 2 contrails, faint
wing outline.

Google