PDA

View Full Version : First impressions of flight

Mxsmanic
March 27th 07, 09:16 PM
What did you notice most during your very first experience travelling in any
type of airplane, as passenger or pilot? And if you are a pilot, what did you
notice most during your very first experience actually flying an airplane (if
it was not also your very first experience with flight)?

DaveB
March 27th 07, 11:06 PM
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:16:05 +0200, Mxsmanic >
wrote:

>What did you notice most during your very first experience travelling in any
>type of airplane, as passenger or pilot? And if you are a pilot, what did you
>notice most during your very first experience actually flying an airplane (if
>it was not also your very first experience with flight)?
>
>--
>Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.

I was shocked I didn't smoke during my first solo.

But after was another story
Daveb

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
March 28th 07, 12:19 AM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> What did you notice most during your very first experience travelling
> in any type of airplane, as passenger or pilot?

That the guy driving wasn't an idiot.

Like you.

Bertie

Mxsmanic
March 28th 07, 01:07 AM
(DaveB) writes:

> I was shocked I didn't smoke during my first solo.

They say that if you are doing something unusual and you are reasonably
occupied, you're less likely to resort to nervous habits, which can include
smoking.

> But after was another story

You smoked more than usual? Why?

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
March 28th 07, 02:00 AM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> (DaveB) writes:
>
>> I was shocked I didn't smoke during my first solo.
>
> They say that if you are doing something unusual and you are
> reasonably occupied, you're less likely to resort to nervous habits,
> which can include smoking.
>
>> But after was another story
>
> You smoked more than usual? Why?

what's it matter? You'll never solo wannabe boi.

bertie

Mxsmanic
March 28th 07, 02:10 AM
Bertie the Bunyip writes:

> what's it matter?

I am curious. Stress, perhaps?

Danny Deger
March 28th 07, 02:11 AM
"MxMORON" > wrote in message

>>What did you notice most during your very first experience travelling in
>>any
>>type of airplane, as passenger or pilot? And if you are a pilot, what did
>>you
>>notice most during your very first experience actually flying an airplane
>>(if
>>it was not also your very first experience with flight)?
>>
>>--
>>Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.
>
> I noticed it was EXACTLY like Microsoft Flight Simulator.
>
> There are no differences at all.
>
> It's really the same thing.

Please do not feed the troll.

Danny Deger

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
March 28th 07, 02:19 AM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Bertie the Bunyip writes:
>
>> what's it matter?
>
> I am curious. Stress, perhaps?

You get curious when you're stressed out?

You're a k00k of the brightest magnitude.

Bertie

Dave[_3_]
March 28th 07, 03:42 AM
I was 10 years old, it was in a Piper Tripacer.

Dreamed of what it would be like ever since I knew that airplanes
could take me to the clouds....

Hoped it would be the greatest experience in my (at that time) young
life..

It was .. it did NOT disappoint.....

The pilot allowed, and coached me to handle the controls, could not
believe I was actually flying!!

Could never get enough..grabbed every chance I could get to fly..

22 yrs later was able to take training and get my licence....

Flew twice this past weekend, hope to do it again next weekend...

And again and again until I cannot..

A passion that survives all reason..

I am told there are others who feel the same..

I found some of them..

They are my friends...

Dave

wrote:

>What did you notice most during your very first experience travelling in any
>type of airplane, as passenger or pilot? And if you are a pilot, what did you
>notice most during your very first experience actually flying an airplane (if
>it was not also your very first experience with flight)?

TheSmokingGnu
March 28th 07, 04:06 AM
Nomen Nescio wrote:
> I couldn't find the "pause" button.

The frame rate was really good, and all the autogen was turned on.

:P

TheSmokingGnu

Darkwing
March 28th 07, 11:42 PM
"Mxsmanic" > wrote in message
> What did you notice most during your very first experience travelling in
> any
> type of airplane, as passenger or pilot? And if you are a pilot, what did
> you
> notice most during your very first experience actually flying an airplane
> (if
> it was not also your very first experience with flight)?
>
> --
> Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.

This is such a moronic question. Tell me how you fell Rex Grossman losing
the Super Bowl? Who do you think you are MX, Barbara Walters??

Complete ass.

--------------------------------------
DW

Mxsmanic
March 29th 07, 12:07 AM
"Darkwing" <theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com> writes:

> This is such a moronic question.

I consider it an intelligent question and relevant to the group, and I've seen
one or two intelligent replies. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about
your reply.

> Tell me how you fell Rex Grossman losing the Super Bowl?

I don't know who Rex Grossman is, or what the Super Bowl is.

> Who do you think you are MX, Barbara Walters??

I don't know anything about Barbara Walters, either.

I suppose I can answer my own question, though, just to encourage the
intelligent people to reply:

My very first experience was as a passenger on a Southwest Airlines 737-200. I
was most surprised by the apparent flimsiness of the aircraft. I had
previously been in non-moving aircraft on the ground many years earlier, but
this flimsiness was much more obvious in a moving aircraft. Of course, I
realized that the aircraft was not actually flimsy and that it was strong for
its weight, but it was still subjectively surprising. The efforts to keep
things lightweight inside the cabin (seats, inner window panels, etc.) were
obvious (and understandable).

I was surprised by how rough the roll down the runway was; I had assumed that
runways were very smooth. I was surprised by how much the aircraft moved in
the air (I had imagined a glassy-smooth ride, like a slow-moving train), and
by the magnitude of the movements at times. I was also amazed by the extreme
noisiness of the aircraft. I was surprised by how easily I could hear things
like gear retraction and extension, and movement of flaps, and so on.

I had steeled myself for a potentially unpleasant experience, as I knew that
many people are afraid of flying and I thought perhaps there were good reasons
for that. However, I thought it was all great fun. Take-off was the best
part, followed by landing. I experienced no motion sickness, and the view out
the window was fine, not bothering me in the least even in turns and when
slicing through cloudtops. I take this as a reliable sign that I have a
strong fundamental interest in aviation.

I have never flown an aircraft in real life, so I can't comment on that,
although I've sat in various cockpits from time to time (including 747
cockpits).

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
March 29th 07, 12:28 AM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> "Darkwing" <theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> This is such a moronic question.
>
> I consider it an intelligent question and relevant to the group, and
> I've seen one or two intelligent replies. Unfortunately, I cannot say
> the same about your reply.
>
>> Tell me how you fell Rex Grossman losing the Super Bowl?
>
> I don't know who Rex Grossman is, or what the Super Bowl is.
>
>> Who do you think you are MX, Barbara Walters??
>
> I don't know anything about Barbara Walters, either.
>
> I suppose I can answer my own question, though, just to encourage the
> intelligent people to reply:
>
> My very first experience was as a passenger on a Southwest Airlines
> 737-200. I was most surprised by the apparent flimsiness of the
> aircraft. I had previously been in non-moving aircraft on the ground
> many years earlier, but this flimsiness was much more obvious in a
> moving aircraft. Of course, I realized that the aircraft was not
> actually flimsy and that it was strong for its weight, but it was
> still subjectively surprising. The efforts to keep things lightweight
> inside the cabin (seats, inner window panels, etc.) were obvious (and
> understandable).
>
> I was surprised by how rough the roll down the runway was; I had
> assumed that runways were very smooth. I was surprised by how much
> the aircraft moved in the air (I had imagined a glassy-smooth ride,
> like a slow-moving train), and by the magnitude of the movements at
> times. I was also amazed by the extreme noisiness of the aircraft. I
> was surprised by how easily I could hear things like gear retraction
> and extension, and movement of flaps, and so on.
>
> I had steeled myself for a potentially unpleasant experience, as I
> knew that many people are afraid of flying and I thought perhaps there
> were good reasons for that. However, I thought it was all great fun.
> Take-off was the best part, followed by landing. I experienced no
> motion sickness, and the view out the window was fine, not bothering
> me in the least even in turns and when slicing through cloudtops. I
> take this as a reliable sign that I have a strong fundamental interest
> in aviation.
>
> I have never flown an aircraft in real life, so I can't comment on
> that, although I've sat in various cockpits from time to time
> (including 747 cockpits).

Good god. You need to adjust your dosage.

bertie

ManhattanMan
March 29th 07, 12:57 AM
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
> Good god. You need to adjust your dosage.

Up to OD 2X................ Or higher, just to be on the safe side (for
us).......

MnM (used to be CRaSH:)

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
March 29th 07, 12:59 AM
"ManhattanMan" > wrote in news:_hDOh.17321$nh4.13758
@newsfe20.lga:

> Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
>> Good god. You need to adjust your dosage.
>>

> Up to OD 2X................ Or higher, just to be on the safe side
(for
> us).......

Sounds like a big waste of drugs. Surely there's a bus passing nearby he
can throw himself under if it comes to that. He can practice using his
"Midtown Madness" game first.

bertie

Roger[_4_]
March 29th 07, 02:20 AM
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:06:49 GMT, (DaveB) wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:16:05 +0200, Mxsmanic >
>wrote:
>
>>What did you notice most during your very first experience travelling in any
>>type of airplane, as passenger or pilot? And if you are a pilot, what did you
>>notice most during your very first experience actually flying an airplane (if
>>it was not also your very first experience with flight)?
>>
>>--
>>Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.
>

>I was shocked I didn't smoke during my first solo.

For me it was the ground ahead in the windshield going round, and
round, and round, and finally the instructor asked what I was going to
do. Me? Do? Yah. Haven't the foggiest idea, this is the first time
I've ever been in a plane. He got busy right away as the rows of corn
stalks were getting big enough to see the individual stalks. Guess he
though I'd flown before. (That was a very long time ago)

>But after was another story
>Daveb
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Roger[_4_]
March 29th 07, 02:22 AM
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:06:30 -0700, TheSmokingGnu
> wrote:

>Nomen Nescio wrote:
>> I couldn't find the "pause" button.
>
>The frame rate was really good, and all the autogen was turned on.

<cough><choke> Where do I send the bill for the new keyboard? Man that
stuffs sticky.

At least I know you weren't running FSX. <:-))

>:P
>
>TheSmokingGnu
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Peter Dohm
March 29th 07, 04:16 AM
> > I couldn't find the "pause" button.
>
> The frame rate was really good, and all the autogen was turned on.

I also liked the multi-screen 3-d effect, and the true-motion... :-)

TheSmokingGnu
March 29th 07, 04:24 AM
Peter Dohm wrote:
>>> I couldn't find the "pause" button.
>> The frame rate was really good, and all the autogen was turned on.
>>
> I also liked the multi-screen 3-d effect, and the true-motion... :-)

Had to admire the cloud draw distance, too. :D

TheSmokingGnu

Ir. Hj. Othman bin Hj. Ahmad
March 29th 07, 08:35 AM
On Mar 29, 11:16 am, "Peter Dohm" > wrote:
> > > I couldn't find the "pause" button.
>
> > The frame rate was really good, and all the autogen was turned on.
>
> I also liked the multi-screen 3-d effect, and the true-motion... :-)

I heard from a PC salesman that a pilot spent more than RM18,000 for
PC and peripherals,
just to be able to play MSFS. This price is more than of the RM30,000
required to get PPL
on a cesna 172P at our local flying club.

Perhaps he is so addicted to the multi-scren 3-d effect and true
motion that he had to get similar effects all the time.

I also heard from him that these people who play MSFS are also Boeing
737 commercial pilots. The salesman guessed that probably the pilots
would like to experience aerobatic flights, such as flying inverted
which will not be allowed on real commercial planes.

Mxsmanic
March 29th 07, 11:24 AM
Ir. Hj. Othman bin Hj. Ahmad writes:

> I heard from a PC salesman that a pilot spent more than RM18,000 for
> PC and peripherals, just to be able to play MSFS. This price is more
> than of the RM30,000 required to get PPL on a cesna 172P at our local
> flying club.

But on a continuing basis, it's cheaper, since once he has the setup, he can
fly the sim for free. In contrast, every hour spent in a real aircraft costs
money. In fact, everything about real aviation costs a fortune. A fancy
computer provides more bang for the buck.

> Perhaps he is so addicted to the multi-scren 3-d effect and true
> motion that he had to get similar effects all the time.

It was probably the more economical of two options. He could fly for an hour
a month in a real aircraft, or fly for several hours a day in a simulated
aircraft.

> I also heard from him that these people who play MSFS are also Boeing
> 737 commercial pilots. The salesman guessed that probably the pilots
> would like to experience aerobatic flights, such as flying inverted
> which will not be allowed on real commercial planes.

Or they may simply want to fly their own 737s, which would never be possible
in real life.

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
March 29th 07, 01:50 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Ir. Hj. Othman bin Hj. Ahmad writes:
>
>> I heard from a PC salesman that a pilot spent more than RM18,000 for
>> PC and peripherals, just to be able to play MSFS. This price is more
>> than of the RM30,000 required to get PPL on a cesna 172P at our local
>> flying club.
>
> But on a continuing basis, it's cheaper, since once he has the setup,
> he can fly the sim for free.

You can't fly a sim, moron.

Bertie

Dave Doe
March 29th 07, 02:39 PM
In article >,
says...
> Ir. Hj. Othman bin Hj. Ahmad writes:
>
> > I heard from a PC salesman that a pilot spent more than RM18,000 for
> > PC and peripherals, just to be able to play MSFS. This price is more
> > than of the RM30,000 required to get PPL on a cesna 172P at our local
> > flying club.
>
> But on a continuing basis, it's cheaper, since once he has the setup, he can
> fly the sim for free. In contrast, every hour spent in a real aircraft costs
> money. In fact, everything about real aviation costs a fortune. A fancy
> computer provides more bang for the buck.
>
> > Perhaps he is so addicted to the multi-scren 3-d effect and true
> > motion that he had to get similar effects all the time.
>
> It was probably the more economical of two options. He could fly for an hour
> a month in a real aircraft, or fly for several hours a day in a simulated
> aircraft.
>
> > I also heard from him that these people who play MSFS are also Boeing
> > 737 commercial pilots. The salesman guessed that probably the pilots
> > would like to experience aerobatic flights, such as flying inverted
> > which will not be allowed on real commercial planes.
>
> Or they may simply want to fly their own 737s, which would never be possible
> in real life.

Real life? You do know what "simulator" means don't you? Don't answer
that, please.

--
Duncan

Mxsmanic
March 29th 07, 09:03 PM
Bertie the Bunyip writes:

> You can't fly a sim, moron.

You just haven't tried a really good simulator.

Mxsmanic
March 29th 07, 09:04 PM
Dave Doe writes:

> Real life? You do know what "simulator" means don't you?

In a good simulation, you forget that it's simulation until it's over.

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
March 29th 07, 09:21 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Bertie the Bunyip writes:
>
>> You can't fly a sim, moron.
>
> You just haven't tried a really good simulator.

Bwawhahwhahwhahhwhahwhahwhahwhhahwhahwhahhwhahwhah whahwhhahwhahwhahwhhah
whahwhahwhhahwhahwhahhwhahwhahwhha!

Well, the one I use cost more than the national debt of many countries.
It costs more than th eBoeing it represents, IIRC. It's certified for
zero time training, and has a state of the art visuals.

And it's still just a box of tricks.

Oh, and by the way, it's common knowledge amongst pilots, that guys who
can handle th esim well are usually **** in the ariplane and vice versa.

Bertie

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
March 29th 07, 09:22 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Dave Doe writes:
>
>> Real life? You do know what "simulator" means don't you?
>
> In a good simulation, you forget that it's simulation until it's over.

Good grief, you're a compleat idiot, arten't you?

Bertie

Mxsmanic
March 29th 07, 09:44 PM
Bertie the Bunyip writes:

> Well, the one I use cost more than the national debt of many countries.
> It costs more than th eBoeing it represents, IIRC. It's certified for
> zero time training, and has a state of the art visuals.

Costs more than the Boeing it represents? I don't think so. A typical
full-motion simulator of that type would go for perhaps $30 million, whereas
something like a 737 starts at around $135 million new.

> Oh, and by the way, it's common knowledge amongst pilots, that guys who
> can handle th esim well are usually **** in the ariplane and vice versa.

Pilots spend a lot of time blowing smoke and tilting mirrors, too.

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
March 29th 07, 11:08 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

Of course you don't. you don't know ****.

> typical full-motion simulator of that type would go for perhaps $30
> million, whereas something like a 737 starts at around $135 million
> new.

So?

>> Oh, and by the way, it's common knowledge amongst pilots, that guys
>> who can handle th esim well are usually **** in the ariplane and vice
>> versa.
>
> Pilots spend a lot of time blowing smoke and tilting mirrors, too.

I don';t do either, fjukkwit.

Bertie

Roger[_4_]
March 30th 07, 01:29 AM
On 29 Mar 2007 00:35:53 -0700, "Ir. Hj. Othman bin Hj. Ahmad"
> wrote:

>> > The frame rate was really good, and all the autogen was turned on.
>>
>> I also liked the multi-screen 3-d effect, and the true-motion... :-)
>
>I heard from a PC salesman that a pilot spent more than RM18,000 for
>PC and peripherals,

I don't know what that works out to in USD, but if you go whole hog on
a PC/sim that can be used for training (with an instructor present)
you can easily hit twice the cost of getting the license.

>just to be able to play MSFS. This price is more than of the RM30,000
>required to get PPL
>on a cesna 172P at our local flying club.

My two main computers, one of which is state-of-the-art, or was two
months ago (now it's just an also ran) could easily pass the cost of
getting the license. OTOH they get used for a lot more than flight
simming.

Hmmm...Just ran the cost of the hard drives I'm using through the
calculator. Those drives cost me more than it did the get the license
and I'm not even including any other accessories.

>Perhaps he is so addicted to the multi-scren 3-d effect and true
>motion that he had to get similar effects all the time.

I don't find much of a 3-D effect with multiple screens.

>I also heard from him that these people who play MSFS are also Boeing
>737 commercial pilots. The salesman guessed that probably the pilots
>would like to experience aerobatic flights, such as flying inverted
>which will not be allowed on real commercial planes.

Hey, now... I have a copy of a video of a 707 doing a roll with a
whole load of photographers and press on board.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Dave Doe
March 30th 07, 02:04 AM
In article >,
says...
> Dave Doe writes:
>
> > Real life? You do know what "simulator" means don't you?
>
> In a good simulation, you forget that it's simulation until it's over.

And so by your definition that's real life.

My theory's confirmed, thank you.

--
Duncan

Mxsmanic
March 30th 07, 06:12 AM
Dave Doe writes:

> And so by your definition that's real life.

No, by my definition, it's a good simulation.

James M. Knox
March 30th 07, 07:36 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Dave Doe writes:
>> Real life? You do know what "simulator" means don't you?
>
> In a good simulation, you forget that it's simulation until it's over.

I recall MANY years ago talking with a programmer from NASA, who had worked
on the original moon landing simulations. All this ran in real-time, i.e.
a two week launch to landing really took two weeks. He said after a while
it would get to seem so real, that when the lunar lander finally touched
down (all simulated, of course) everyone in the control room would break
into wild cheers and start looking for the champagne bottles. <G>

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1300 Koenig Lane West fax 512-371-5716
Suite 200
Austin, Tx 78756

Ir. Hj. Othman bin Hj. Ahmad
April 1st 07, 11:39 AM
On Mar 31, 2:36 am, "James M. Knox" > wrote:
> Mxsmanic > wrote :
>
> > Dave Doe writes:
> >> Real life? You do know what "simulator" means don't you?
>
> > In a good simulation, you forget that it's simulation until it's over.
>
> I recall MANY years ago talking with a programmer from NASA, who had worked
> on the original moon landing simulations. All this ran in real-time, i.e.
> a two week launch to landing really took two weeks. He said after a while
> it would get to seem so real, that when the lunar lander finally touched
> down (all simulated, of course) everyone in the control room would break
> into wild cheers and start looking for the champagne bottles. <G>

Hopefully, simulation should be accepted and cheaper than real flying
hours.
At the moment, it may be more expensive to do simulation than flying
for real.

If they can reduce the cost of getting PPL license to less than 10%,
it will just cost more than 3 times getting a car license. It will
truly make the flying car a reality.

Malaysia already promote one house one plane. I surely love to see
that day.

Actually hardware cost-wise, it is already affordable. Only
certifications and trainings that are unclear and expensive.

> James M. Knox
> TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
> 1300 Koenig Lane West fax512-371-5716
> Suite 200
> Austin, Tx 78756

April 7th 07, 09:15 PM
On Mar 30, 11:36 am, "James M. Knox" > wrote:

> I recall MANY years ago talking with a programmer from NASA, who had worked
> on the originalmoonlandingsimulations. All this ran in real-time, i.e.
> a two week launch tolandingreally took two weeks. He said after a while
> it would get to seem so real, that when the lunar lander finally touched
> down (all simulated, of course) everyone in the control room would break
> into wild cheers and start looking for the champagne bottles. <G>

There were no such manned moon landings. How much proof of your
having been snookered would you like?
-
Brad Guth

george
April 7th 07, 09:47 PM
On Apr 8, 8:15 am, wrote:

> There were no such manned moon landings. How much proof of your
> having been snookered would you like?
> -

mxsmanic has competition

Martin Hotze
April 7th 07, 10:04 PM
On 7 Apr 2007 13:15:49 -0700, wrote:

>There were no such manned moon landings.

.... and here it the proof: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprD1zFl364>

:-)

#m
--
I am not a terrorist. <http://www.casualdisobedience.com/>

Roger[_4_]
April 10th 07, 02:24 AM
On 7 Apr 2007 13:47:32 -0700, "george" > wrote:

>On Apr 8, 8:15 am, wrote:
>

>> There were no such manned moon landings. How much proof of your
>> having been snookered would you like?
>> -
>
>mxsmanic has competition

Yah, but at least the squirrels aren't going to starve

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Google