PDA

View Full Version : Next up for Garmin Portables

Marco Leon
March 29th 07, 05:47 PM
Soon after the GPSMAP 496 came out, there was lots of chatter about what
they will be doing next. It seems their newly-released Marine portables are
providing a hint. http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap525/

Two words: satellite imagery

This has some value (if somewhat limited) for boats but it would be a
home-run to use in the airplane in VFR.

I cringe at the thought of the pricetag for updates though...

Marco

Kyle Boatright
March 29th 07, 10:58 PM
"Marco Leon" > wrote in message
> Soon after the GPSMAP 496 came out, there was lots of chatter about what
> they will be doing next. It seems their newly-released Marine portables
> are providing a hint. http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap525/
>
> Two words: satellite imagery
>
> This has some value (if somewhat limited) for boats but it would be a
> home-run to use in the airplane in VFR.
>
> I cringe at the thought of the pricetag for updates though...
>
> Marco

And then, there are some of us who are still evaluating the combination of
the FSS and the MK1 Eyeball (which are free today) vs the up front and
recurring costs of various in-cockpit weather displays.

The next issue is "If I buy a G396 today, how long will Garmin support my
little $2k box of goodies?"

My GPS (A Lowrance 100 is about 6 years old, and the support stopped a year
or so ago). I can deal with that for a $250 GPS, but for a $2k unit...
OUCH...

KB

Vaughn Simon
March 29th 07, 11:49 PM
"Marco Leon" > wrote in message
> Soon after the GPSMAP 496 came out, there was lots of chatter about what they
> will be doing next. It seems their newly-released Marine portables are
> providing a hint. http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap525/
>
> Two words: satellite imagery
>
> This has some value (if somewhat limited) for boats but it would be a home-run
> to use in the airplane in VFR.

The wonderful news here is that it will bring satellite imagery to the mass
market, and that usually results in lower prices. My main concern is not so
much the price of the hardware, but the price of the data service. One customer
or one million, it costs the satellite company pretty much the same to provide
the service. Now the fixed costs can be divided up among more paying customers.

Vaughn

Dan Luke
March 30th 07, 12:28 AM
"Marco Leon" wrote:

> Soon after the GPSMAP 496 came out, there was lots of chatter about what
> they will be doing next. It seems their newly-released Marine portables are
> providing a hint. http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap525/
>
> Two words: satellite imagery
>
> This has some value (if somewhat limited) for boats but it would be a
> home-run to use in the airplane in VFR.

??

396 & 496 already have satellite imagery.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

March 30th 07, 12:35 AM
Marco Leon > wrote:
> Soon after the GPSMAP 496 came out, there was lots of chatter about what
> they will be doing next. It seems their newly-released Marine portables are
> providing a hint. http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap525/

> Two words: satellite imagery

> This has some value (if somewhat limited) for boats but it would be a
> home-run to use in the airplane in VFR.

> I cringe at the thought of the pricetag for updates though...

> Marco

What kind of satellite imagery?

If it is the same as you get off the Internet, I find it to be of
limited value as a GA pilot flying VFR less than a few hundred miles.

Now if I were flying a Citation from LA to Chicago...

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Vaughn Simon
March 30th 07, 01:39 AM
"Dan Luke" > wrote in message

> ??
>
> 396 & 496 already have satellite imagery.

Yes, satellite imagery is not new. What would be new is for it to show up
in sub-$1,000 gps units. Marine is a much larger market than aviation.

Vaughn

John Galban
March 30th 07, 03:22 AM
On Mar 29, 9:47 am, "Marco Leon" > wrote:
> Soon after the GPSMAP 496 came out, there was lots of chatter about what
> they will be doing next. It seems their newly-released Marine portables are
> providing a hint.http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap525/
>
> Two words: satellite imagery

Satellite, Shmatellite! This is what I want to see :

"Enjoy added function of sonar

The 525s comes with powerful dual frequency or dual beam sonar to
clearly paint depth contours, fish targets, structure, etc."

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Thomas Borchert
March 30th 07, 08:21 AM
Marco,

> but it would be a
> home-run to use in the airplane in VFR.

Uhm, why? The point in VFR flying is to look outside, isn't it? You
need a GPS in VFR flying to warn you of your position relative to
things you can't see outside, i.e. airspace. Why would you need
detailed imagery on a display for that? If it comes free, maybe, but at
the price tag to be expected? What for?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Dan Luke
March 30th 07, 12:28 PM
"Thomas Borchert" wrote:

>> but it would be a
>> home-run to use in the airplane in VFR.
>>

> Uhm, why? The point in VFR flying is to look outside, isn't it?

How far can you see looking out the windshield? All the way to your
destination?

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

March 30th 07, 02:16 PM
On Mar 30, 9:21 am, Thomas Borchert >
wrote:
> Marco,
>
> > but it would be a
> > home-run to use in the airplane in VFR.
>
> Uhm, why? The point in VFR flying is to look outside, isn't it? You
> need a GPS in VFR flying to warn you of your position relative to
> things you can't see outside, i.e. airspace. Why would you need
> detailed imagery on a display for that? If it comes free, maybe, but at
> the price tag to be expected? What for?
>
> --
> Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

To see the bits that are hidden by the wing.
-Kees

Marco Leon
March 30th 07, 02:47 PM
I'm talking about terrain imagery where you can see buildings on the ground,
not weather satellite images.

Marco

"Dan Luke" > wrote in message

> "Marco Leon" wrote:
>

>> Soon after the GPSMAP 496 came out, there was lots of chatter about what
>> they will be doing next. It seems their newly-released Marine portables
>> are providing a hint. http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap525/
>>
>> Two words: satellite imagery
>>
>> This has some value (if somewhat limited) for boats but it would be a
>> home-run to use in the airplane in VFR.
>>

> ??
>
> 396 & 496 already have satellite imagery.
>
> --
> Dan
> C172RG at BFM

Marco Leon
March 30th 07, 03:05 PM
"Thomas Borchert" > wrote in message
> Marco,
>
> Uhm, why? The point in VFR flying is to look outside, isn't it? You
> need a GPS in VFR flying to warn you of your position relative to
> things you can't see outside, i.e. airspace. Why would you need
> detailed imagery on a display for that? If it comes free, maybe, but at
> the price tag to be expected? What for?

Free??? Clearly you are not a Garmin customer or are not familiar with their
business practices :) They are adept at pricing their features enough to
make most customers cringe at the added cost while reaching in their wallet
to pay for it anyway.

As far as value of the satellite terrain, establishing unfamiliar VFR
reporting points would be one. At my home field, there are at least
3 or 4 VFR reporting points out of around 8 that are not signified with a
little purple flag as such. You can also verify what the obstruction symbols
refer to. A tall building would be the same as a tall tower.

Marco

March 30th 07, 04:35 PM
Marco Leon > wrote:
> I'm talking about terrain imagery where you can see buildings on the ground,
> not weather satellite images.

The civilian imagery at that level tends to be several years old.

While the mountains don't move in that time frame, buildings certainly
come and go.

I would think Google Earth, which is free, would be good enough for
planning for going into a new area if you want to get a feel for the
surrounding terrain.

And if buildings are an issue, you are flying way too low.

I am missing something here?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

john smith[_2_]
March 30th 07, 09:32 PM
In article m>,
wrote:

> To see the bits that are hidden by the wing.

Get a manly, high-wing airplane and that won't be a problem. :-))

Dan Luke
March 30th 07, 09:43 PM
"Marco Leon" wrote:
>> If it comes free, maybe, but at
>> the price tag to be expected? What for?
>
> Free??? Clearly you are not a Garmin customer or are not familiar with
> their business practices :) They are adept at pricing their features enough
> to make most customers cringe at the added cost while reaching in their
> wallet to pay for it anyway.

Garmin doesn't charge anything for satellite imagery.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Dan Luke
March 30th 07, 11:31 PM
"Marco Leon" wrote:

> I'm talking about terrain imagery where you can see buildings on the ground,
> not weather satellite images.

Oh.

Sorry.

Dan Luke