PDA

View Full Version : Spitpics : Spitfire Vc from USS Wasp after crash landing in Sicily - sep '42 2

Dave Kearton
March 31st 07, 08:22 AM
--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Orval Fairbairn
March 31st 07, 07:37 PM
In article >,
"Dave Kearton" > wrote:

The insignia looks wrong for 1942 -- perhaps Battle of Britain?

Robert Sveinson
March 31st 07, 10:35 PM
"Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dave Kearton" > wrote:
>

> The insignia looks wrong for 1942 -- perhaps Battle of Britain?

I have the same caption for this photo.
Also notice the cannons, which were rare during the Bof B.

Michel
March 31st 07, 11:39 PM
Probably operation Browery which was another Malta Reinforcement executed in
May 1942 with Wasp and HMS Eagle.
Michel

"Robert Sveinson" > a écrit dans le message de news:

> "Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Dave Kearton" > wrote:
>>

>> The insignia looks wrong for 1942 -- perhaps Battle of Britain?
>
> I have the same caption for this photo.
> Also notice the cannons, which were rare during the Bof B.

Dave Whiley
April 1st 07, 12:06 AM
"Robert Sveinson" > wrote in message

> "Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Dave Kearton" > wrote:
>>

>> The insignia looks wrong for 1942 -- perhaps Battle of Britain?
>
> I have the same caption for this photo.
> Also notice the cannons, which were rare during the Bof B.

According to "Spitfire - The Story of a Famous Fighter", Type C/C1 roundels
were introduced in June 1942. The Wasp was ferrying Spitfires to Malta in
April and May of that year, when the Type A/A1 (broad white / white and
yellow bands) were still current.

As for the cannons, this particular Spitfire has provision for 4 of them -
the handful of Mk IBs that saw short service (although not nearly short
enough according to the pilots who flew them) in the Battle of Britain had a
fixed armament including only two cannons.

--
Dave

not-me should be djw401 and there's no need for any wossname

Enzo Matrix
April 11th 07, 08:46 PM
Robert Sveinson wrote:
> "Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Dave Kearton" > wrote:
>>

>> The insignia looks wrong for 1942 -- perhaps Battle of Britain?
>
> I have the same caption for this photo.
> Also notice the cannons, which were rare during the Bof B.

It's *definitely* a Mk.Vc, the serial number confirms it! The Vb could only
carry one cannon in each wing. The Vc could carry two. Most did only carry
one cannon, in the inboard position. However this aircraft has the cannon
fitted in the outboard position. It is possible that the inboard position
holds a Browning .303 machine gun, with the two outer Brownings in each wing
removed. This armament fit was used in Malta and is somewhat similar to the
much later e-type wing.

It's difficult to tell, but the serial is looks like BR13? In that case,
this aircraft is either BR131 or BR133.

--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.