PDA

View Full Version : When did FAR 121.587 go into effect?

April 1st 07, 06:49 AM
Obviously this is more of a commercial piloting question, than a
recreational one, but...

http://www1.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/CurrentFARPart/9ED2D8079C21577786256B420072FDEF?OpenDocument

states that the effective date was 1/15/2002.

But I found archived UseNet discussions of it from as far
back as 1994:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.travel.air/msg/1ce230a6f604e97c?hl=en&

So what's with the effective date at the FAA webpage?
Are the effective dates periodically changed for some
reason?

Was the rule not 'effective' for some period(s) of time between
1994 and 2002?

--

FF

TheSmokingGnu
April 1st 07, 08:24 AM
wrote:
> So what's with the effective date at the FAA webpage?
> Are the effective dates periodically changed for some
> reason?

I think the effective date is referring to the amendment. I suppose the
FAR was re-written at some point, such that the website is only showing
the date of the "most current" version, which is the one from 2002.

Pre-edit:

Apparently there's was a docket issued that changed parts of 121:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2oxmum

And that must be why the date's off.

TheSmokingGnu

April 2nd 07, 02:25 AM
On Apr 1, 7:24 am, TheSmokingGnu
> wrote:
> wrote:
> > So what's with the effective date at the FAA webpage?
> > Are the effective dates periodically changed for some
> > reason?
>
> I think the effective date is referring to the amendment. I suppose the
> FAR was re-written at some point, such that the website is only showing
> the date of the "most current" version, which is the one from 2002.
>
> Pre-edit:
>
> Apparently there's was a docket issued that changed parts of 121:
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/2oxmum
>
> And that must be why the date's off.
>
> TheSmokingGnu

Thanks. I see now where some changes in the details were made.

Now, the exact sequence of actions by which the hijackers
gained control of the airliners on September 11, 2001 is
unknown. But it has been presented as probable that
some of the cockpit crews were taken by surprise and killed
by slitting their throats while they were still sitting in their
seats. That would seem to be unlikely if the hijackers
first had to break through even the flimsiest of doors.

If the hijackers gained access by taking hostages or breaking
in I would have expected at least one of the crews to have had
time to send out a distress signal.

So what am I missing here?

--

FF