PDA

View Full Version : What the difference between the

Aluckyguess
April 2nd 07, 04:56 AM
GNS 480 and the 430. My Bonanza has a MX 20 and I was told I should hook it
up to a 480.

Robert M. Gary
April 2nd 07, 07:28 AM
On Apr 1, 8:56 pm, "Aluckyguess" > wrote:
> GNS 480 and the 430. My Bonanza has a MX 20 and I was told I should hook it
> up to a 480.

Just a couple of differences. The 480 has airways, the 430 does not.
The 480 allows for user defined holds, the 430 does not. The 480
sequences procedure holds, the 430 "suspends" in holds. The 430 has
easy to use comm/nav knobs for easy access to the radios, the 480 does
not.

Dan Luke
April 2nd 07, 12:27 PM
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

>> GNS 480 and the 430. My Bonanza has a MX 20 and I was told I should hook
>> it
>> up to a 480.
>
> Just a couple of differences. The 480 has airways, the 430 does not.
> The 480 allows for user defined holds, the 430 does not. The 480
> sequences procedure holds, the 430 "suspends" in holds. The 430 has
> easy to use comm/nav knobs for easy access to the radios, the 480 does
> not.

The 430 can display XM satellite weather (with a GDL 69 receiver); the 480
cannot.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Aluckyguess
April 2nd 07, 03:08 PM
"Dan Luke" > wrote in message

> "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
>
>>> GNS 480 and the 430. My Bonanza has a MX 20 and I was told I should
>>> hook it
>>> up to a 480.
>>
>> Just a couple of differences. The 480 has airways, the 430 does not.
>> The 480 allows for user defined holds, the 430 does not. The 480
>> sequences procedure holds, the 430 "suspends" in holds. The 430 has
>> easy to use comm/nav knobs for easy access to the radios, the 480 does
>> not.
>
> The 430 can display XM satellite weather (with a GDL 69 receiver); the 480
> cannot.
The MX 20 can display the weather and it is a lot bigger with a better
display.

> --
> Dan
> C172RG at BFM

Aluckyguess
April 2nd 07, 03:09 PM
So the radios are hard to work on the 480? I heard the 480 was a lot harder
to learn

"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 1, 8:56 pm, "Aluckyguess" > wrote:
>> GNS 480 and the 430. My Bonanza has a MX 20 and I was told I should hook
>> it
>> up to a 480.
>
> Just a couple of differences. The 480 has airways, the 430 does not.
> The 480 allows for user defined holds, the 430 does not. The 480
> sequences procedure holds, the 430 "suspends" in holds. The 430 has
> easy to use comm/nav knobs for easy access to the radios, the 480 does
> not.

Peter R.
April 2nd 07, 04:43 PM
On 4/2/2007 2:28:53 AM, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

> The 480
> sequences procedure holds, the 430 "suspends" in holds

Is that true for the GNS430 WAAS unit, too?

--
Peter

Robert M. Gary
April 2nd 07, 05:13 PM
On Apr 2, 7:09 am, "Aluckyguess" > wrote:
> So the radios are hard to work on the 480? I heard the 480 was a lot harder
> to learn

I guess it depends on the pilot. In the 480 you have to be on the
correct page in order to swap nav/com freq etc. The 430 has dedicated
knobs. I think the 430 is a bit more intuitive but if its your
airplane you will learn to use either one. I think the 480's flight
plan is a bit more complicated because you define start and end points
then route, the 430 just assumes the last fix is the end point (i.e.
you bring up the flt plan and see end to end). However, the 480 has
airways. I'm just waiting for the first NTSB report to list the 430's
lack of airways for causing a plane to go into a mountain. In
California our airways bend around mountains, if you just put in two
ends of the airway there may be a mountain in the middle.

-Robert

Robert M. Gary
April 2nd 07, 08:40 PM
On Apr 2, 8:43 am, "Peter R." > wrote:
> On 4/2/2007 2:28:53 AM, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
>
> > The 480
> > sequences procedure holds, the 430 "suspends" in holds
>
> Is that true for the GNS430 WAAS unit, too?
>
> --
> Peter

I haven't flown or taught in a plane with the WAAS upgrade yet. I
thougth I heard that the procedure holds would auto sequence as part
of the WAAS certification (one of the reasons Garmin bought the 480).
I'm teaching in a G1000 right now and waiting for the WAAS to become
available. The G1000 is almost the same as the 430 right now (the only
real difference is that the G1000 automatically resumes the approach
after the procedure turn, the 430 requires you to unpress the suspend
button).

-Robert

Aluckyguess
April 2nd 07, 09:10 PM
"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 2, 7:09 am, "Aluckyguess" > wrote:
>> So the radios are hard to work on the 480? I heard the 480 was a lot
>> harder
>> to learn
>>

> I guess it depends on the pilot. In the 480 you have to be on the
> correct page in order to swap nav/com freq etc. The 430 has dedicated
> knobs. I think the 430 is a bit more intuitive but if its your
> airplane you will learn to use either one. I think the 480's flight
> plan is a bit more complicated because you define start and end points
> then route, the 430 just assumes the last fix is the end point (i.e.
> you bring up the flt plan and see end to end). However, the 480 has
> airways. I'm just waiting for the first NTSB report to list the 430's
> lack of airways for causing a plane to go into a mountain. In
> California our airways bend around mountains, if you just put in two
> ends of the airway there may be a mountain in the middle.
>
> -Robert
I downloaded the simulator and the radio does have a nice function in
remembering 10 of the last radio frequencies. The 480 seems a little similar
to the Apollo 60 that is in the plane already. The 480 will also load the
approach plate on the MX20.
If I can find a deal on a 480 I think I will try it.

Thanks for the help

Robert M. Gary
April 2nd 07, 09:58 PM
On Apr 2, 1:10 pm, "Aluckyguess" > wrote:
> "Robert M. Gary" > wrote in ooglegroups.com...
>

> > On Apr 2, 7:09 am, "Aluckyguess" > wrote:
> >> So the radios are hard to work on the 480? I heard the 480 was a lot
> >> harder
> >> to learn
>
> > I guess it depends on the pilot. In the 480 you have to be on the
> > correct page in order to swap nav/com freq etc. The 430 has dedicated
> > knobs. I think the 430 is a bit more intuitive but if its your
> > airplane you will learn to use either one. I think the 480's flight
> > plan is a bit more complicated because you define start and end points
> > then route, the 430 just assumes the last fix is the end point (i.e.
> > you bring up the flt plan and see end to end). However, the 480 has
> > airways. I'm just waiting for the first NTSB report to list the 430's
> > lack of airways for causing a plane to go into a mountain. In
> > California our airways bend around mountains, if you just put in two
> > ends of the airway there may be a mountain in the middle.
>
> > -Robert
>
> I downloaded the simulator and the radio does have a nice function in
> remembering 10 of the last radio frequencies. The 480 seems a little similar
> to the Apollo 60 that is in the plane already. The 480 will also load the
> approach plate on the MX20.
> If I can find a deal on a 480 I think I will try it.

I think that's what most people find. The 430 is a bit easier to learn
but the 480 is more powerful (or at least featureful).

-Robert

andrew m. boardman
April 3rd 07, 02:38 PM
In article >, Aluckyguess > wrote:
>So the radios are hard to work on the 480? I heard the 480 was a lot harder
>to learn

I don't think "a lot" is warranted; I could figure out how to do most of
what I wanted to do on the 480 without manual-reading and found it
reasonably intuitive, though the 430 makes the basics more obvious. On
the other hand, if you want to use the full functionality of the box I
like the 480 better than the 430; I think the flight planning functions
are more logical.

Physically, the 480 has a larger screen than the 430.

I gather there are places where /G aircraft can actually get direct
clearances instead of airways, but not around here; having airways saves
a bunch of twiddling.

Ron Natalie
April 4th 07, 01:48 PM
andrew m. boardman wrote:
> In article >, Aluckyguess > wrote:
>> So the radios are hard to work on the 480? I heard the 480 was a lot harder
>> to learn
>
> I don't think "a lot" is warranted; I could figure out how to do most of
> what I wanted to do on the 480 without manual-reading and found it
> reasonably intuitive, though the 430 makes the basics more obvious.

I haven't found the 480 difficult. Neither has really Margy. The
advantage for us is that we weren't tainted by having learned the
Garmin-style interface first. There's a lot of key multiplexing
due to cramming a lot of features in a tiny amount of space.

The basic is, if you want to use a non-GPS function, make sure
you press it's button first. If you want to use a GPS function,
press MAP first to get to a known state.

john smith[_2_]
April 4th 07, 02:49 PM
> >> So the radios are hard to work on the 480? I heard the 480 was a lot
> >> harder to learn

The Apollo/IIMorrow systems were very logical and followed a branching
tree structure (I believe the present term is chapters and pages).
IIMorrow originally placed a diagram of structure in each manual.
Viewing the diagram made the operation and functions self-explanatory.
As the systems grew in complexity, the manuals changed and the "tree"
was no longer included. By sitting down with the manual, you can create
your own tree by diagraming the "chapters and pages" from the manual.

Ron Natalie
April 5th 07, 01:22 PM
john smith wrote:

> The Apollo/IIMorrow systems were very logical and followed a branching
> tree structure (I believe the present term is chapters and pages).
> IIMorrow originally placed a diagram of structure in each manual.
> Viewing the diagram made the operation and functions self-explanatory.
> As the systems grew in complexity, the manuals changed and the "tree"
> was no longer included. By sitting down with the manual, you can create
> your own tree by diagraming the "chapters and pages" from the manual.

The MX20 quick reference certainly shows the tree. I guess you're
right about the 480 manual.

But the tree isn't all that complex.

John T
April 6th 07, 03:25 AM
"Aluckyguess" > wrote in message

> I downloaded the simulator and the radio does have a nice function in
> remembering 10 of the last radio frequencies. The 480 seems a little
> similar to the Apollo 60 that is in the plane already.

There's a very good reason for that. :)

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/corporate/082203.html

--
John T