PDA

View Full Version : B727 at Meigs Field?

David[_3_]
April 5th 07, 12:47 AM
Wow, a B727 at Meigs Field!
Nice video on YouTube of a United Airlines B727
landing at Meigs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV4tgjSPgks

Did they have commercial flights into Meigs Field
at one time?
I only ask because of the TWexpress plane that is
visible in one of the video shots seen, not because
of the B727.

David

Jay Beckman
April 5th 07, 12:53 AM
"David" > wrote in message
> Wow, a B727 at Meigs Field!
> Nice video on YouTube of a United Airlines B727
> landing at Meigs.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV4tgjSPgks
>
> Did they have commercial flights into Meigs Field
> at one time?
> I only ask because of the TWexpress plane that is
> visible in one of the video shots seen, not because
> of the B727.
>
> David

According to the description on the right-hand side of the page, it was a
ferry flight delivering a 727 for the Museum of Science and Industry.

Jay B

Robert M. Gary
April 5th 07, 03:24 AM
On Apr 4, 4:47 pm, "David" > wrote:
> Wow, a B727 at Meigs Field!
> Nice video on YouTube of a United Airlines B727
> landing at Meigs.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV4tgjSPgks
>
> Did they have commercial flights into Meigs Field
> at one time?
> I only ask because of the TWexpress plane that is
> visible in one of the video shots seen, not because
> of the B727.
>
> David

A local DE flew 747s. He said a light (i.e. empty) 747 could land in
something like 2500 feet of runway.

-Robert

Matt Whiting
April 5th 07, 03:34 AM
Robert M. Gary wrote:
> On Apr 4, 4:47 pm, "David" > wrote:
>> Wow, a B727 at Meigs Field!
>> Nice video on YouTube of a United Airlines B727
>> landing at Meigs.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV4tgjSPgks
>>
>> Did they have commercial flights into Meigs Field
>> at one time?
>> I only ask because of the TWexpress plane that is
>> visible in one of the video shots seen, not because
>> of the B727.
>>
>> David
>
> A local DE flew 747s. He said a light (i.e. empty) 747 could land in
> something like 2500 feet of runway.

With how many blown tires? :-)

Matt

Blueskies
April 5th 07, 11:51 AM
"Jay Beckman" > wrote in message ...
:
: "David" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Wow, a B727 at Meigs Field!
: > Nice video on YouTube of a United Airlines B727
: > landing at Meigs.
: > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV4tgjSPgks
: >
: > Did they have commercial flights into Meigs Field
: > at one time?
: > I only ask because of the TWexpress plane that is
: > visible in one of the video shots seen, not because
: > of the B727.
: >
: > David
: >
:
: According to the description on the right-hand side of the page, it was a
: ferry flight delivering a 727 for the Museum of Science and Industry.
:
: Jay B
:
:

Yup, pretty cool flying never to be done (there) again!

Peter Clark
April 5th 07, 02:28 PM
On 4 Apr 2007 19:24:12 -0700, "Robert M. Gary" >
wrote:

>On Apr 4, 4:47 pm, "David" > wrote:
>> Wow, a B727 at Meigs Field!
>> Nice video on YouTube of a United Airlines B727
>> landing at Meigs.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV4tgjSPgks
>>
>> Did they have commercial flights into Meigs Field
>> at one time?
>> I only ask because of the TWexpress plane that is
>> visible in one of the video shots seen, not because
>> of the B727.
>>
>> David
>
>A local DE flew 747s. He said a light (i.e. empty) 747 could land in
>something like 2500 feet of runway.

http://www.skypark.org/747Landing.htm

BillJ
April 5th 07, 03:03 PM
Yes there were commercial flights at Meigs. I remember Meigs to
Springfield, Ill. for one. And that was within a few years before
it closed.

Maxwell
April 5th 07, 05:29 PM
"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
> Robert M. Gary wrote:
>> On Apr 4, 4:47 pm, "David" > wrote:
>>> Wow, a B727 at Meigs Field!
>>> Nice video on YouTube of a United Airlines B727
>>> landing at Meigs.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV4tgjSPgks
>>>
>>> Did they have commercial flights into Meigs Field
>>> at one time?
>>> I only ask because of the TWexpress plane that is
>>> visible in one of the video shots seen, not because
>>> of the B727.
>>>
>>> David
>>
>> A local DE flew 747s. He said a light (i.e. empty) 747 could land in
>> something like 2500 feet of runway.
>
> With how many blown tires? :-)

About 10 years ago the closed a small airport near me with a real
questionable width and quailty runway, I think about 2400'. It's now only
open to helo operations and houses a branch for a local A&P school. The
school either purchased, or accepted a donation for an well aged 727 for
it's students, and I am told it was flown it empty.

I have had an opportunity to see several 727, MD-80s, 767s and DC-10s flown
empty for test hops after heavy maintenance, and it's amaizing how well they
perform when flown that light.

Judah
April 5th 07, 08:03 PM
"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in news:1175739852.387465.51090
@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> A local DE flew 747s. He said a light (i.e. empty) 747 could land in
> something like 2500 feet of runway.

After he landed on that 2500' runway, how did he take off again?

JGalban via AviationKB.com
April 5th 07, 09:57 PM
Jay Beckman wrote:

>According to the description on the right-hand side of the page, it was a
>ferry flight delivering a 727 for the Museum of Science and Industry.

Yep. That's an old one. I remember visiting the museum over 10 yrs. ago
and seeing it hanging from the ceiling. There's a walkway from the balcony
that allows you to go inside the plane. Definitely a unique display.

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Google