Stuart & Kathryn Fields
April 6th 07, 02:27 PM
Will there be a wake for
RAR? Maybe an Irish wake?

Stu Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

Bill Chernoff
April 6th 07, 04:07 PM
yes, its being held at Belfort Instruments...

601XL Builder
April 6th 07, 06:12 PM
Bill Chernoff wrote:
> yes, its being held at Belfort Instruments...

That guy that posts the anti-Belfort messages posts in all the
rec.aviaition groups and is just ignored. It seems that RAR is the only
place that answers him.

Since 3/31 there have been two helicopter related posts. Neither has
been responded to.

April 6th 07, 07:56 PM
I miss the days when Nick Lappos, 180walt, Bob B. and many other very
experienced pilots would exchange information.

On Apr 6, 6:27 am, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" > wrote:
> Will there be a wake for
> RAR? Maybe an Irish wake?
>
> Stu Fields
> Experimental Helo magazine

Stuart & Kathryn Fields
April 7th 07, 12:39 AM
I probably asked this question before: Is rec.aviation.rotorcraft
primarily for the 206 and up crowd? I've posted stuff about the
experimental helo world and felt like I drug a dead cat into the living room
of a fancy estate.
Is there a news group that focusses more on private non-commercial helo
owners?

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I miss the days when Nick Lappos, 180walt, Bob B. and many other very
> experienced pilots would exchange information.
>
> On Apr 6, 6:27 am, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" > wrote:
>> Will there be a wake for
>> RAR? Maybe an Irish wake?
>>
>> Stu Fields
>> Experimental Helo magazine

Maxwell
April 7th 07, 02:46 PM
"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" > wrote in message
.. .
>I probably asked this question before: Is rec.aviation.rotorcraft
>primarily for the 206 and up crowd? I've posted stuff about the
>experimental helo world and felt like I drug a dead cat into the living
>room of a fancy estate.
> Is there a news group that focusses more on private non-commercial helo
> owners?

I haven't seen one, but let me know if you find it.

I think this forum just suffers from diversity. Unlike the fixed wing forums
that offer a different group for "piloting" and "experimental", all
rotorcraft discussions come to one group. And the diversity in thinking
creates a lot of unnecessary stress.

I miss the good old days too. Nick, Walt and many others had a lot to
share - as did a lot of the back yard builders, even if many of them were
just swaping "what if's". But the average offshore, ENG and former military
pilots have little in common with the back yard builders, yet both have a
lot of constructive information to share.

I am of the back yard builder, wanna be rotorcraft pilots myself. But I sure
would like to follow a piloting group as well.

Stuart & Kathryn Fields
April 7th 07, 04:49 PM
There is a helicopter forum moderated by a guy who is building a Scorpion.
I got out of there because it was mainly populated with people who had never
built a helicopter that knew that the people that had built one did it
wrong.
We publish the Experimental Helo magazine and get exposed to a lot of small
helicopter information but I would like to find a newsgroup that had
interaction between people involved in the building, modifiying and
maintaining a helicopter in a less formal and quicker acting than the
magazine. And frankly that newsgroup would probably provide information for
and maybe writers of articles for the magazine.

"Maxwell" > wrote in message

> "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>I probably asked this question before: Is rec.aviation.rotorcraft
>>primarily for the 206 and up crowd? I've posted stuff about the
>>experimental helo world and felt like I drug a dead cat into the living
>>room of a fancy estate.
>> Is there a news group that focusses more on private non-commercial helo
>> owners?
>>

> I haven't seen one, but let me know if you find it.
>
> I think this forum just suffers from diversity. Unlike the fixed wing
> forums that offer a different group for "piloting" and "experimental", all
> rotorcraft discussions come to one group. And the diversity in thinking
> creates a lot of unnecessary stress.
>
> I miss the good old days too. Nick, Walt and many others had a lot to
> share - as did a lot of the back yard builders, even if many of them were
> just swaping "what if's". But the average offshore, ENG and former
> military pilots have little in common with the back yard builders, yet
> both have a lot of constructive information to share.
>
> I am of the back yard builder, wanna be rotorcraft pilots myself. But I
> sure would like to follow a piloting group as well.

601XL Builder
April 7th 07, 05:37 PM
All you need to do is use promote this forum in your magazine and since
it is pretty much dead it will become the forum you are looking for.

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
> There is a helicopter forum moderated by a guy who is building a Scorpion.
> I got out of there because it was mainly populated with people who had never
> built a helicopter that knew that the people that had built one did it
> wrong.
> We publish the Experimental Helo magazine and get exposed to a lot of small
> helicopter information but I would like to find a newsgroup that had
> interaction between people involved in the building, modifiying and
> maintaining a helicopter in a less formal and quicker acting than the
> magazine. And frankly that newsgroup would probably provide information for
> and maybe writers of articles for the magazine.
>
> "Maxwell" > wrote in message
>> "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>> I probably asked this question before: Is rec.aviation.rotorcraft
>>> primarily for the 206 and up crowd? I've posted stuff about the
>>> experimental helo world and felt like I drug a dead cat into the living
>>> room of a fancy estate.
>>> Is there a news group that focusses more on private non-commercial helo
>>> owners?
>>>
>> I haven't seen one, but let me know if you find it.
>>
>> I think this forum just suffers from diversity. Unlike the fixed wing
>> forums that offer a different group for "piloting" and "experimental", all
>> rotorcraft discussions come to one group. And the diversity in thinking
>> creates a lot of unnecessary stress.
>>
>> I miss the good old days too. Nick, Walt and many others had a lot to
>> share - as did a lot of the back yard builders, even if many of them were
>> just swaping "what if's". But the average offshore, ENG and former
>> military pilots have little in common with the back yard builders, yet
>> both have a lot of constructive information to share.
>>
>> I am of the back yard builder, wanna be rotorcraft pilots myself. But I
>> sure would like to follow a piloting group as well.

Linc
April 7th 07, 07:52 PM
The problem is that the newsgroup format requires a dedicated news
reader and a usenet server to pull the messages from. Back in the AOL
days (read: 1995-97), AOL provided this through the service and you
didn't need a reader and the setup for the usenet server was taken
care of. Later, webforums began to take off and the usenet server
became a more archaic method of interaction. Besides, webforums
protected you by giving you a more anonymous interface (not counting
the administrators).

Anyways, the continuing demise of usenet, along with the contribution
of everyone's favorite, former Belfort employee probably should not be
viewed as a huge surprise. Still sad, though.

Linc

On Apr 7, 12:37 pm, 601XL Builder <wrDOTgiacona@suddenlinkDOTnet>
wrote:
> All you need to do is use promote this forum in your magazine and since
> it is pretty much dead it will become the forum you are looking for.
>
> Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
>

> > There is a helicopter forum moderated by a guy who is building a Scorpion.
> > I got out of there because it was mainly populated with people who had never
> > built a helicopter that knew that the people that had built one did it
> > wrong.
> > We publish the Experimental Helo magazine and get exposed to a lot of small
> > helicopter information but I would like to find a newsgroup that had
> > interaction between people involved in the building, modifiying and
> > maintaining a helicopter in a less formal and quicker acting than the
> > magazine. And frankly that newsgroup would probably provide information for
> > and maybe writers of articles for the magazine.
>
> > "Maxwell" > wrote in message
> >> "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
> >> I haven't seen one, but let me know if you find it.
>
> >> I think this forum just suffers from diversity. Unlike the fixed wing
> >> forums that offer a different group for "piloting" and "experimental", all
> >> rotorcraft discussions come to one group. And the diversity in thinking
> >> creates a lot of unnecessary stress.
>
> >> I miss the good old days too. Nick, Walt and many others had a lot to
> >> share - as did a lot of the back yard builders, even if many of them were
> >> just swaping "what if's". But the average offshore, ENG and former
> >> military pilots have little in common with the back yard builders, yet
> >> both have a lot of constructive information to share.
>
> >> I am of the back yard builder, wanna be rotorcraft pilots myself. But I
> >> sure would like to follow a piloting group as well.- Hide quoted text -

Stuart & Kathryn Fields
April 8th 07, 01:11 AM
Hey 601XL builder, not a bad idea. I'm on my way to a couple of events in
Florida. I'll see if there is any interest is pursuing this idea.

--
Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine
"601XL Builder" <wrDOTgiacona@suddenlinkDOTnet> wrote in message

> All you need to do is use promote this forum in your magazine and since it
> is pretty much dead it will become the forum you are looking for.
>

> Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
>> There is a helicopter forum moderated by a guy who is building a
>> Scorpion. I got out of there because it was mainly populated with people
>> who had never built a helicopter that knew that the people that had built
>> one did it wrong.
>> We publish the Experimental Helo magazine and get exposed to a lot of
>> small helicopter information but I would like to find a newsgroup that
>> had interaction between people involved in the building, modifiying and
>> maintaining a helicopter in a less formal and quicker acting than the
>> magazine. And frankly that newsgroup would probably provide information
>> for and maybe writers of articles for the magazine.
>>
>> "Maxwell" > wrote in message
>>> "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" > wrote in message
>>> .. .
>>>>
>>> I haven't seen one, but let me know if you find it.
>>>
>>> I think this forum just suffers from diversity. Unlike the fixed wing
>>> forums that offer a different group for "piloting" and "experimental",
>>> all rotorcraft discussions come to one group. And the diversity in
>>> thinking creates a lot of unnecessary stress.
>>>
>>> I miss the good old days too. Nick, Walt and many others had a lot to
>>> share - as did a lot of the back yard builders, even if many of them
>>> were just swaping "what if's". But the average offshore, ENG and former
>>> military pilots have little in common with the back yard builders, yet
>>> both have a lot of constructive information to share.
>>>
>>> I am of the back yard builder, wanna be rotorcraft pilots myself. But I
>>> sure would like to follow a piloting group as well.

601XL Builder
April 8th 07, 05:00 PM
You do realize that is newsgroup and all the rest of USENET is accesible
via Google Groups? Also virtually every computer ships with perfectly
usable USENET software, Outlook Express.

Linc wrote:
> The problem is that the newsgroup format requires a dedicated news
> reader and a usenet server to pull the messages from. Back in the AOL
> days (read: 1995-97), AOL provided this through the service and you
> didn't need a reader and the setup for the usenet server was taken
> care of. Later, webforums began to take off and the usenet server
> became a more archaic method of interaction. Besides, webforums
> protected you by giving you a more anonymous interface (not counting
> the administrators).

Linc
April 8th 07, 06:56 PM
Google Groups is a relatively new feature/service, especially compared
to the heyday of RAR. And there are plenty who will argue the
"perfectly usable" nature of OE. What's more, the two do not "blend",
as in you can't setup OE to access Usenet through Google Groups. And
the drawback to OE is that one still needs a News server which has
become more and more archaic, although most ISPs still provide them as
a service.

Linc

On Apr 8, 12:00 pm, 601XL Builder <wrDOTgiacona@suddenlinkDOTnet>
wrote:
> You do realize that is newsgroup and all the rest of USENET is accesible
> via Google Groups? Also virtually every computer ships with perfectly
> usable USENET software, Outlook Express.

601XL Builder
April 8th 07, 07:25 PM
Linc you seem to think there is no hope for USENET in general and RAR in
particular. Google Groups is much more accessible than AOL ever was and
there is no need to use OE if you are using GG.

You seem to be promoting the idea of an even less available web based
forum that people would have to find to use. While USENET is very old
technology it is very good at doing what it was designed for. One failed
server doesn't shut it down and no one person can control what is
communicated. A lot of the web-based forums that are out there are
really just fronts for USENET access and some of those posting don't
even know it.

There are over 10,000 groups and while I'll be the first to admit that
many aren't worth the disk space that they use there are several that
have a ton of great information and lively discussion. Including some
right here in the REC.Aviation.* hierarchy.

Linc wrote:
> Google Groups is a relatively new feature/service, especially compared
> to the heyday of RAR. And there are plenty who will argue the
> "perfectly usable" nature of OE. What's more, the two do not "blend",
> as in you can't setup OE to access Usenet through Google Groups. And
> the drawback to OE is that one still needs a News server which has
> become more and more archaic, although most ISPs still provide them as
> a service.
>
> Linc
>
> On Apr 8, 12:00 pm, 601XL Builder <wrDOTgiacona@suddenlinkDOTnet>
> wrote:
>> You do realize that is newsgroup and all the rest of USENET is accesible
>> via Google Groups? Also virtually every computer ships with perfectly
>> usable USENET software, Outlook Express.

Elzee36
April 9th 07, 11:02 PM
> > wrote in message
> >I miss the days when Nick Lappos, 180walt, Bob B. and many other very
> > experienced pilots would exchange information.

Man the NG was great back then, fun and informative some flaming,
some trolling but for the most part
good reading. I left when AOL discontinued Newsgroups but then
picked it back up via Google which was
very simple. But now I pretty much just lurk.

Elzee36 (The Former Micbloo)

Linc
April 10th 07, 03:41 AM
Hi, Micbloo!
I remember you.

601XL,

I've only been around Usenet for about 10 years. I obviously have no
clue, so you don't have to listen to me. I've only watched the death
of RAR for that last 10 years. And what did everyone migrate to? Those
same web forums you're discounting.

Linc

On Apr 9, 6:02 pm, "Elzee36" > wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > >I miss the days when Nick Lappos, 180walt, Bob B. and many other very
> > > experienced pilots would exchange information.
>
> Man the NG was great back then, fun and informative some flaming,
> some trolling but for the most part
> good reading. I left when AOL discontinued Newsgroups but then
> picked it back up via Google which was
> very simple. But now I pretty much just lurk.
>
> Elzee36 (The Former Micbloo)

Shiver
April 11th 07, 11:31 PM
> Elzee36 > wrote:

> Elzee36 (The Former Micbloo)

*M*I*C*B*L*O*O* ---------> YOUR BACK !!!!!

Some of us here had thought you'd died and gone
to the big Wall Street... Or is that the big
Wal*Mart in the sky.

You used to be one of the stalwarts of the group along with the
likes of Bob Barbanes et al who sadly have filtered away to that
big rotary forum found on the WWW.

Sigh.

Could never quite get into the forum thingy myself and always felt
more comfy in the free for all atmosphere of newsgroups.

DON'T BE A STRANGER.

Elzee36
April 12th 07, 04:35 AM
On Apr 11, 6:31 pm, shiver > wrote:
> Could never quite get into the forum thingy myself and always felt
> more comfy in the free for all atmosphere of newsgroups.

Yes, and not as anonymous as the forum where all types of morons,
idiots, racists
homophobes and children reside. There are some good posters and at
times informative
posts but if they go too long they turn nasty and stupid. Being able
to post anonymously
makes people brave.

> DON'T BE A STRANGER.

I've always been around but more lurking than before.

Shiver
April 12th 07, 05:13 AM
> Elzee36 > wrote:

> I've always been around but more lurking than before.

Well it's nice to know that your still around.

Elzee36
April 12th 07, 11:09 PM
On Apr 12, 12:13?am, shiver > wrote:
> Well it's nice to know that your still around.

Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.
LOL!!
Still watching the skies as always.

Linc
April 14th 07, 04:24 AM
Does Bob post on JH? I personally don't read JH, but I hear enough
about it. I follow Bob's blog, it's a lot more fun and exciting, and
he writes just as good as he ever did!

Linc

On Apr 11, 6:31 pm, shiver > wrote:
> > Elzee36 > wrote:
> > Elzee36 (The Former Micbloo)
>
> *M*I*C*B*L*O*O* ---------> YOUR BACK !!!!!
>
> Some of us here had thought you'd died and gone
> to the big Wall Street... Or is that the big
> Wal*Mart in the sky.
>
> You used to be one of the stalwarts of the group along with the
> likes of Bob Barbanes et al who sadly have filtered away to that
> big rotary forum found on the WWW.
>
> Sigh.
>
> Could never quite get into the forum thingy myself and always felt
> more comfy in the free for all atmosphere of newsgroups.
>
> DON'T BE A STRANGER.

Linc
April 14th 07, 04:52 AM
I guess that should say, "...he writes just as *well* as he ever did."

Mea culpa!

Linc

On Apr 13, 11:24 pm, "Linc" > wrote:
<snip>

> he writes just as good as he ever did!

<snip>

Elzee36
April 14th 07, 02:40 PM
On Apr 13, 11:24?pm, "Linc" > wrote:
> Does Bob post on JH? I personally don't read JH, but I hear enough
> about it. I follow Bob's blog, it's a lot more fun and exciting, and
> he writes just as good as he ever did!

I believe I have read some of his stuff on occasion. Do you have
the link to Bobs blog?

Linc
April 15th 07, 03:06 PM
Micbloo

fh1100(dash)pilot(dot)blogspot(dot)com <---(anti spider)

He lives on an island out in the Caribbean, off the coast of Honduras,
now. So, the blog has things about the island life and not just
flying.

Linc

On Apr 14, 9:40 am, "Elzee36" > wrote:
> On Apr 13, 11:24?pm, "Linc" > wrote:> Does Bob post on JH? I personally don't read JH, but I hear enough
> > about it. I follow Bob's blog, it's a lot more fun and exciting, and
> > he writes just as good as he ever did!
>
> I believe I have read some of his stuff on occasion. Do you have
> the link to Bobs blog?

Elzee36
April 16th 07, 04:40 AM
On Apr 15, 10:06 am, "Linc" > wrote:
> fh1100(dash)pilot(dot)blogspot(dot)com <---(anti spider)
> > He lives on an island out in the Caribbean, off the coast of Honduras,
> now. So, the blog has things about the island life and not just
> flying.

Thanks. I actually googled his name & found the link.

Google