PDA

View Full Version : I have an opinion on global warming!

Jim Logajan
April 6th 07, 07:46 PM
But since that subject (and my opinion on it) has nothing to do with
piloting I'm not going to share it. I hope by making this posting that I
can hint to others that they direct their opinions on that subject to more
appropriate forums.

Jim "naive and hopeless optimist" Logajan

Dan Luke
April 6th 07, 08:10 PM
"Jim Logajan" wrote:

> But since that subject (and my opinion on it) has nothing to do with
> piloting I'm not going to share it.

Me neither.

Had a great flight home from Birmingham yesterday; 25 kt tailwind!

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Robert M. Gary
April 6th 07, 08:23 PM
On Apr 6, 11:46 am, Jim Logajan > wrote:
> But since that subject (and my opinion on it) has nothing to do with
> piloting I'm not going to share it. I hope by making this posting that I
> can hint to others that they direct their opinions on that subject to more
> appropriate forums.
>
> Jim "naive and hopeless optimist" Logajan

I only wish that were true. We are not far off from having GA
regulated in the name of global warming. Limiting flight hours, days
flown, etc is a very, very likely scenario. Almost any freedom can be
taken away if you put a "Global Warming" tag on it.

-Robert

kontiki
April 6th 07, 08:31 PM
Jim Logajan wrote:

> But since that subject (and my opinion on it) has nothing to do with
> piloting I'm not going to share it. I hope by making this posting that I
> can hint to others that they direct their opinions on that subject to more
> appropriate forums.
>
> Jim "naive and hopeless optimist" Logajan

Jim, if you think that the 'religion' of global warming does not or
will not affect your flying, or th your freedom to fly you are naive.

Montblack
April 6th 07, 10:58 PM
("Dan Luke" wrote)
> Had a great flight home from Birmingham yesterday; 25 kt tailwind!

This is a thread about not posting in another thread about AlGore and global
warming. Your piloting reference was clearly off topic here - but no OT in
your subject line. Hmm?

Montblack :-)

Jim Logajan
April 6th 07, 11:12 PM
"Montblack" > wrote:
> ("Dan Luke" wrote)
>> Had a great flight home from Birmingham yesterday; 25 kt tailwind!
>

> This is a thread about not posting in another thread about AlGore and
> global warming. Your piloting reference was clearly off topic here -
> but no OT in your subject line. Hmm?

Ever meta-subject you didn't like?

;-)

Dan Luke
April 6th 07, 11:17 PM
"Montblack" wrote:

> ("Dan Luke" wrote)
>> Had a great flight home from Birmingham yesterday; 25 kt tailwind!
>

> This is a thread about not posting in another thread about AlGore and global
> warming. Your piloting reference was clearly off topic here - but no OT in
> your subject line. Hmm?

Well, it *did* get a lot warmar as we got close to Mobile...

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Jay Honeck
April 6th 07, 11:24 PM
> But since that subject (and my opinion on it) has nothing to do with
> piloting I'm not going to share it. I hope by making this posting that I
> can hint to others that they direct their opinions on that subject to more
> appropriate forums.

I agree. As we sit here, shivering in record cold temperatures (wind
chills near zero tonight), the thought that global warming might be a
complete crock of sh*t never once entered my mind -- nor would I
*ever* consider sharing any such silly thoughts with any of you.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

RomeoMike
April 7th 07, 12:16 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> I agree. As we sit here, shivering in record cold temperatures (wind
> chills near zero tonight), the thought that global warming might be a
> complete crock of sh*t never once entered my mind -- nor would I
> *ever* consider sharing any such silly thoughts with any of you.
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Here I sit in the southwest; it's already 90 deg. outside. The globe
must be warming faster than they say. Your statement and mine equally
meaningless and narrow.

April 7th 07, 12:18 AM
On 6 Apr, 23:24, "Jay Honeck" > wrote:
> > But since that subject (and my opinion on it) has nothing to do with
> > piloting I'm not going to share it. I hope by making this posting that I
> > can hint to others that they direct their opinions on that subject to more
> > appropriate forums.
>
> I agree. As we sit here, shivering in record cold temperatures (wind
> chills near zero tonight), the thought that global warming might be a
> complete crock of sh*t never once entered my mind -- nor would I
> *ever* consider sharing any such silly thoughts with any of you.

Thing is, the proposal is that the average temperature
is increasing. One effect of that is expected to be
increases in the energy of weather systems.
No one is suggesting that it is going to be hotter
everywhere all of the time.

One outcome (and this is a big stretch I think) is
that the Gulf Stream could switch off in which case
the weather in the UK could become similar to the
present weather in Labrador.
If that turns out to be correct then global warming will
have caused a reduction in the winter temperature
in North Western Europe.

These predictions are coming from the application
of the same tools and techniques that have made
reliable weather forecasts an everyday proposition.

Ignoring the atmospheric changes that the burning
of fossil fuels has caused (and this appears to me
to be indisputable - carbon was in ground, is now in
atmosphere) and assuming that it will not adversely
affect the climate is only an option for those that have
no interest in the continuation of the human civilisation.

If I was an active private (or other) pilot I would be
concerned that my costs were going to rise
due to legislative and market changes triggered
by concern about global warming and of
course any 'leisure' activity involving the
use of fossil fuels is likely to be the subject of
unwelcome attention. However, there is a LONG
way to go in the improvement of the performance
of gerneral aviation engines and this is likely
to keep the baying mob happy for some
time.

Clearly there are capital cost implications
for this.

Wishing you all well and happy flying.

Robert M. Gary
April 7th 07, 12:58 AM
On Apr 6, 3:24 pm, "Jay Honeck" > wrote:
> > But since that subject (and my opinion on it) has nothing to do with
> > piloting I'm not going to share it. I hope by making this posting that I
> > can hint to others that they direct their opinions on that subject to more
> > appropriate forums.
>
> I agree. As we sit here, shivering in record cold temperatures (wind
> chills near zero tonight), the thought that global warming might be a
> complete crock of sh*t never once entered my mind -- nor would I
> *ever* consider sharing any such silly thoughts with any of you.

We're told that the unusally cold temps lately are a result of global
warming (ice caps melting). I'm still waiting to find out how we also
caused global warming on Mars. Pretty cool how the weather man on TV
can't guess the temp tomorrow but the global warming people can
predict temps in 20 years. Maybe we need to get those guys to come up
with our forecasts.

-Robert

Gene Seibel
April 7th 07, 01:02 AM
On Apr 6, 1:46 pm, Jim Logajan > wrote:
> But since that subject (and my opinion on it) has nothing to do with
> piloting I'm not going to share it. I hope by making this posting that I
> can hint to others that they direct their opinions on that subject to more
> appropriate forums.
>
> Jim "naive and hopeless optimist" Logajan

Went out and did 1.4 hours of warming Monday night myself.
--
Gene Seibel
Daughter Becca's Jewelry - http://pad39a.com/stelle_sheen

Gene Seibel
April 7th 07, 01:10 AM
On Apr 6, 6:18 pm, wrote:

> Thing is, the proposal is that the average temperature
> is increasing. One effect of that is expected to be
> increases in the energy of weather systems.
> No one is suggesting that it is going to be hotter
> everywhere all of the time.

That's what it is - a proposal. I figured that global warming was
natural, but after a discussion on another group I did some research
and now doubt it's even occurring at all. Satellite and balloon
readings show no warming. Only surface measurements, and they are very
susceptible to errors. For instance cities growing and encroaching on
once rural measuring stations. A tenth of a degree increase and alarm
bells go off.
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html

Don Tabor
April 7th 07, 01:33 AM
On 6 Apr 2007 16:18:25 -0700, wrote:

>One outcome (and this is a big stretch I think) is
>that the Gulf Stream could switch off in which case
>the weather in the UK could become similar to the
>present weather in Labrador.
>If that turns out to be correct then global warming will
>have caused a reduction in the winter temperature
>in North Western Europe.

Why would you expect that? It has already been warmer during the
Medieval Warm Period and the climate in Britain was balmy enough to
grow grapes. Norsemen colonized coastal Greenland and grew grains and
raised cattle there.

Virginia - the only State with a flag rated
"R" for partial nudity and graphic violence.

Peter Dohm
April 7th 07, 01:41 AM
"Gene Seibel" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Apr 6, 6:18 pm, wrote:
> >
> > Thing is, the proposal is that the average temperature
> > is increasing. One effect of that is expected to be
> > increases in the energy of weather systems.
> > No one is suggesting that it is going to be hotter
> > everywhere all of the time.
> >
> That's what it is - a proposal. I figured that global warming was
> natural, but after a discussion on another group I did some research
> and now doubt it's even occurring at all. Satellite and balloon
> readings show no warming. Only surface measurements, and they are very
> susceptible to errors. For instance cities growing and encroaching on
> once rural measuring stations. A tenth of a degree increase and alarm
> bells go off.
> --
> Gene Seibel
> Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html
> Because I fly, I envy no one.

In addition I recently heard that some surface reporting stations in Siberia
ceased operation--so that data was simply omitted from the calculations.

Since any resulting error would be in the "correct" direction, according to
the current Gore sycophants, there is no reason to correct for the missing
data, nor to work to put the reporting stations back on line.

Peter

Peter Dohm
April 7th 07, 01:53 AM
"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 6, 3:24 pm, "Jay Honeck" > wrote:
> > > But since that subject (and my opinion on it) has nothing to do with
> > > piloting I'm not going to share it. I hope by making this posting that
> > > can hint to others that they direct their opinions on that subject to
more
> > > appropriate forums.
> >
> > I agree. As we sit here, shivering in record cold temperatures (wind
> > chills near zero tonight), the thought that global warming might be a
> > complete crock of sh*t never once entered my mind -- nor would I
> > *ever* consider sharing any such silly thoughts with any of you.
>
> We're told that the unusally cold temps lately are a result of global
> warming (ice caps melting). I'm still waiting to find out how we also
> caused global warming on Mars. Pretty cool how the weather man on TV
> can't guess the temp tomorrow but the global warming people can
> predict temps in 20 years. Maybe we need to get those guys to come up
> with our forecasts.
>
> -Robert

Obviously, for the heat to traverse the interplanetary space, we are burning
*way* too much fuel!

OTOH, there seems to be some doubt whether the Earth's northern polar region
is currently as warm as it was in Viking times.

Regrettably, I don't have the free time at the moment to search for the