PDA

View Full Version : Flying *Through* DC

Larry R[_2_]
April 6th 07, 08:33 PM
While doing some preliminary planning for a June trip from KLOU to
KWWD ( Cape May, NJ), my "direct" path would take me right over the
center of DC ( in the Prohibited area).

I have reviewed the articles and AOPA advice on travelling in and
arround the ADIZ, and know the procedures. Most of that advice seems
to be focused around navigating through it - but only on a North-South
axis.

Any ideas on how to plan? A northerly or southerly transition ? It's
all busy space...

Thanks

Andrew Sarangan
April 6th 07, 09:02 PM
Larry

Why not take a short detour around the south of the ADIZ? A quick
calculation shows that you will lengthen your trip by only 10 miles
which is hardly noticeable on a 500 mile trip.

On Apr 6, 3:33 pm, "Larry R" > wrote:
> While doing some preliminary planning for a June trip from KLOU to
> KWWD ( Cape May, NJ), my "direct" path would take me right over the
> center of DC ( in the Prohibited area).
>
> I have reviewed the articles and AOPA advice on travelling in and
> arround the ADIZ, and know the procedures. Most of that advice seems
> to be focused around navigating through it - but only on a North-South
> axis.
>
> Any ideas on how to plan? A northerly or southerly transition ? It's
> all busy space...
>
> Thanks

Jose
April 6th 07, 09:08 PM
> Any ideas on how to plan [a flight through the ADIZ area]?
> A northerly or southerly transition ? It's
> all busy space...

I would plan on avoiding the class B airspace and the FRZ. You can get
through the ADIZ fine, but they often don't want flights through the Bravo.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.

ArtP
April 6th 07, 10:04 PM
On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 20:08:31 GMT, Jose >
wrote:

>I would plan on avoiding the class B airspace and the FRZ. You can get
>through the ADIZ fine, but they often don't want flights through the Bravo.

It is pretty had to find a path through the center of the ADIZ above
1500' feet without going through B airspace. I agree that the best
method is go around.

Morgans[_2_]
April 6th 07, 11:03 PM
"Larry R" > wrote

> While doing some preliminary planning for a June trip from KLOU to
> KWWD ( Cape May, NJ), my "direct" path would take me right over the
> center of DC ( in the Prohibited area).

Why don't you do like the old timer did a year or so ago, and motor right on
through the middle of it?
<ggg>
--
Jim (ducking and running) in NC

Judah
April 6th 07, 11:51 PM
"Larry R" > wrote in news:1175888007.225210.138450
@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

> While doing some preliminary planning for a June trip from KLOU to
> KWWD ( Cape May, NJ), my "direct" path would take me right over the
> center of DC ( in the Prohibited area).
>
> I have reviewed the articles and AOPA advice on travelling in and
> arround the ADIZ, and know the procedures. Most of that advice seems
> to be focused around navigating through it - but only on a North-South
> axis.
>
> Any ideas on how to plan? A northerly or southerly transition ? It's
> all busy space...
>
> Thanks

No real reason to avoid the Class B. Just make sure you have your squawk
and all with Potomac. They'll want you to file your ADIZ flight plan with
one of several specific starting points outside the ADIZ. So you'll fly to
the western entry point, and ask them to open your ADIZ flight plan. If you
have flight following the whole way, they'll probably do it implicitly if
they can get the handoff... Otherwise they will tell you they can't hand
you off and you'll need to use the frequency they gave you at WX-BRIEF and
try to get squawked before you have to start circling. :)

From my experience in that area (although limited), you'll probably want to
transition the ADIZ using

MRB BAL AGARD

or maybe

MRB BAL ENO

It adds about 5 miles to your trip...

I am not certain of the Easterly waypoint because I am usually North or
West of the ADIZ in my travels, but you can ask the briefer.

As you approach MRB, if you don't have flight following, call up and get
your squawk, and they'll clear you through the ADIZ and give you any
heading changes or what not.

It's really not too bad or scary. Just don't screw up. ;)

John T
April 7th 07, 05:18 AM
"Larry R" > wrote in message
oups.com

> While doing some preliminary planning for a June trip from KLOU to
> KWWD ( Cape May, NJ), my "direct" path would take me right over the
> center of DC ( in the Prohibited area).
>
> I have reviewed the articles and AOPA advice on travelling in and
> arround the ADIZ, and know the procedures. Most of that advice seems
> to be focused around navigating through it - but only on a North-South
> axis.
>
> Any ideas on how to plan? A northerly or southerly transition ? It's
> all busy space...

I'm based at KJYO (Leesburg, VA) well within the ADIZ and have been dealing
with it ever since its inception.

Just to reiterate what you know already (but just in case somebody else is
interested in such a flight), the rules are simple:
1. File a flight plan via landline or DUAT(S).
2. Maintain 2-way comms with ATC.
3. Use a unique transponder code while in the ADIZ.
4. If transponder fails, exit the ADIZ via most direct route.

With that said, the FRZ (Flight Restricted Zone) within the ADIZ is a
different beast and your route would indeed take you right through it. It is
possible to get access to that airspace, but it requires a visit to security
folks for a briefing and fingerprints for the background investigation.

I have two recommendations for your flight:
1. File IFR. This takes care of all the requirements above (except #4 which
is an exceptional situation in any circumstance); - OR -
2. Alter your route slightly to KLOU-KGAI-KWWD or KLOU-MRB (VOR)-KWWD or
KLOU-BAL (VOR)-KWWD.

The controllers at Potomac Consolidated TRACON are very good and have shown
themselves to be quite helpful, but the ADIZ frequencies can get rather
busy. Keep your transmissions short and to the point. Some other notes of
interest:

a. Call PCT when you're about 5 minutes out.
b. You do not need a clearance to enter the ADIZ. (However, the Class B
inside still uses the same rules as other Class B areas.)
c. Expect to hear "N123, transponder observed" after initial contact and
entering your squawk code.
d. If you're VFR, do not expect to receive radar services - especially if
you are in the ADIZ on a good flying day.
e. You may be "asked" to fly certain vectors. This is usually the result of
the controller trying to keep his scope clear for arrival/departure
corridors into KIAD/KBWI/KDCA.

If you (or anybody else contemplating such an ADIZ flight) have any IFR
experience or are comfortable dealing with ATC, the ADIZ procedures aren't
terribly fearsome.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Larry R[_2_]
April 7th 07, 01:52 PM
Thanks everyone!

One of the routes I had considered was KLOU -PXT _KWWD, which would be
nice if that worked out. Depends on the restricted flight areas.

I would be flying this on an IFR ( especially the part around DC ).

John T - Thanks for the details!

Larry

Ron Natalie
April 7th 07, 03:36 PM
ArtP wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 20:08:31 GMT, Jose >
> wrote:
>
>> I would plan on avoiding the class B airspace and the FRZ. You can get
>> through the ADIZ fine, but they often don't want flights through the Bravo.
>>

> It is pretty had to find a path through the center of the ADIZ above
> 1500' feet without going through B airspace. I agree that the best
> method is go around.

I'll cut through the ADIZ, but I'm located on it's fringe. You are
right, it's usually not worth the effort.

Ron Natalie
April 7th 07, 03:38 PM
Judah wrote:

> No real reason to avoid the Class B. Just make sure you have your squawk
> and all with Potomac.

ADIZ clearance is NOT authorization to enter the class B. Even
coming out of VKX (one of the FRZ airports) they aren't real
friendly about the class B these days. I'm fingerprinted,
on what is in effect an IFR plan, with special notification
to the secret service, but I gotta stay at 1400 feet until I
get clear of the National arrivals.

Steve S
April 7th 07, 03:46 PM
"Larry R" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks everyone!
>
> One of the routes I had considered was KLOU -PXT _KWWD, which would be
> nice if that worked out. Depends on the restricted flight areas.
>
> I would be flying this on an IFR ( especially the part around DC ).
>
> John T - Thanks for the details!
>
> Larry

I fly from JQF (Concord, NC) to HPN (White Plains, NY) several times a year
IFR. Expect to be routed around the adiz. You might get KLOU - PXT - KWWD
as an initial clearance but will probably get an amended clearance as you
near Potomoc airspace.

Enjoy your flight.

Judah
April 7th 07, 07:48 PM
Ron Natalie > wrote in news:4617ace9$0$10042
:

> Judah wrote:
>

>> No real reason to avoid the Class B. Just make sure you have your squawk
>> and all with Potomac.
>
> ADIZ clearance is NOT authorization to enter the class B. Even
> coming out of VKX (one of the FRZ airports) they aren't real
> friendly about the class B these days. I'm fingerprinted,
> on what is in effect an IFR plan, with special notification
> to the secret service, but I gotta stay at 1400 feet until I
> get clear of the National arrivals.

Thanks for clarifying my omission. Yes, you do need to be cleared into the
Bravo.

I've never had trouble with it, but like I said, my experience is limited.

Google