PDA

View Full Version : Another LSA question.

Lou
April 7th 07, 03:35 PM
A question came up in conversation the other day that got all
different kinds of answers so
I thought I would try it here.
Can a person get their PPL ticket using an LSA aircraft?
Lou

john smith[_2_]
April 7th 07, 03:49 PM
In article m>,
"Lou" > wrote:

> A question came up in conversation the other day that got all
> different kinds of answers so
> I thought I would try it here.
> Can a person get their PPL ticket using an LSA aircraft?
> Lou

Many pilots have obtained their PPL using aircraft such as Cubs and
Champs. The only requirement is that they be equipped to allow the pilot
candidate to perform the functions stipulated in the test guide.
So long as the aircraft, pilot candidate and pilot examiner do not
exceed the LSA weight limit, why not?

601XL Builder
April 7th 07, 04:24 PM
Lou wrote:
> A question came up in conversation the other day that got all
> different kinds of answers so
> I thought I would try it here.
> Can a person get their PPL ticket using an LSA aircraft?
> Lou

Yes

Montblack
April 7th 07, 05:13 PM
("Lou" wrote)
> Can a person get their PPL ticket using an LSA aircraft?

In fact, a person can get their PPL (in an LSA Ercoupe or a non-LSA
Ercoupe), so long as it's an Ercoupe WITHOUT rudder pedals - in 25 hours,
instead of 40 hours. Your ticket will carry a no rudder pedal
restriction/limitation.

http://www.avweb.com/news/avmail/187166-1.html
2nd story down

http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/inst_reports2.cfm?article=5422
"It's my guess that anyone taking sport pilot training in an Ercoupe is a
lot more likely to get their ticket in the 20-hour minimum." By Rod Machado

Hope I'm not passing along an OWT.

Montblack

Andrew Sarangan
April 7th 07, 06:37 PM
On Apr 7, 10:35 am, "Lou" > wrote:
> A question came up in conversation the other day that got all
> different kinds of answers so
> I thought I would try it here.
> Can a person get their PPL ticket using an LSA aircraft?
> Lou

LSA comes into consideration only for sport pilots. For all other
pilots it is just another aircraft. You can take a checkride, or fly
IFR or do whatever that you normally do with airplanes.

Cubdriver
April 7th 07, 10:45 PM
On 7 Apr 2007 07:35:36 -0700, "Lou" > wrote:

>Can a person get their PPL ticket using an LSA aircraft?

Sure, that's how I got mine ... well, that's how I got my recreational
pilot certificate.

However! You can't do all your training in the average LSA because
they aren't equipped for night flight. If you can find an LSA with the
required equipment, you'll be fine.

I can even assure you that FAA personnel are willing to go up in an
LSA if required. I needed a Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA)
because I am blind in my left eye, and two suits duly came down from
Portland ME to go for a ride in the Piper Cub with me. (Well, one went
on the ride, and the other sat on the ground and grilled my flight
instructor.) And of course the check pilot also went Cubbing with me,
on one of the coldest days on record in New Hampshire. Needless to
say, the check flight also broke a record, for brevity.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Newps
April 8th 07, 06:55 PM
Jim Stewart wrote:

> Andrew Sarangan wrote:
>
>> On Apr 7, 10:35 am, "Lou" > wrote:
>>
>>> A question came up in conversation the other day that got all
>>> different kinds of answers so
>>> I thought I would try it here.
>>> Can a person get their PPL ticket using an LSA aircraft?
>>> Lou
>>

>> LSA comes into consideration only for sport pilots. For all other
>> pilots it is just another aircraft. You can take a checkride, or fly
>> IFR or do whatever that you normally do with airplanes.
>

> What if the plane doesn't have equipment used in the
> PPL course of study, like VOR?

You don't need a VOR in the plane just like you don't need a GPS or NDB.

Jim Stewart
April 8th 07, 07:08 PM
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

> On Apr 7, 10:35 am, "Lou" > wrote:
>
>>A question came up in conversation the other day that got all
>>different kinds of answers so
>>I thought I would try it here.
>>Can a person get their PPL ticket using an LSA aircraft?
>> Lou
>

> LSA comes into consideration only for sport pilots. For all other
> pilots it is just another aircraft. You can take a checkride, or fly
> IFR or do whatever that you normally do with airplanes.

What if the plane doesn't have equipment used in the
PPL course of study, like VOR?

Andrew Sarangan
April 8th 07, 08:13 PM
On Apr 8, 2:08 pm, Jim Stewart > wrote:
> Andrew Sarangan wrote:
> > On Apr 7, 10:35 am, "Lou" > wrote:
>
> >>A question came up in conversation the other day that got all
> >>different kinds of answers so
> >>I thought I would try it here.
> >>Can a person get their PPL ticket using an LSA aircraft?
> >> Lou
>
> > LSA comes into consideration only for sport pilots. For all other
> > pilots it is just another aircraft. You can take a checkride, or fly
> > IFR or do whatever that you normally do with airplanes.
>
> What if the plane doesn't have equipment used in the
> PPL course of study, like VOR?

You don't need a VOR, just demonstrate proficiency using an electronic
navigation system. However, that is besides the point. An LSA could be
equipped well, or it could be bare bones, just like any other
airplane. The LSA's I have seen are equipped far better than the
regular airplanes. Our club LSA has an IFR approach certified GPS,
autopilot, a second nav/comm and the whole works.

ArtP
April 9th 07, 01:34 AM
On 8 Apr 2007 12:13:42 -0700, "Andrew Sarangan" >
wrote:
> Our club LSA has an IFR approach certified GPS,
>autopilot, a second nav/comm and the whole works.

Which LSA? How do you like it?

Andrew Sarangan
April 9th 07, 04:26 AM
On Apr 8, 8:34 pm, ArtP > wrote:
> On 8 Apr 2007 12:13:42 -0700, "Andrew Sarangan" >
> wrote:
>
> > Our club LSA has an IFR approach certified GPS,
> >autopilot, a second nav/comm and the whole works.
>
> Which LSA? How do you like it?

It is a Zodiac. I love it. It flies a bit slower than a 172, seats
only two but flies great.

Gig 601XL Builder
April 9th 07, 03:48 PM
Andrew Sarangan wrote:
> On Apr 8, 8:34 pm, ArtP > wrote:
>> On 8 Apr 2007 12:13:42 -0700, "Andrew Sarangan" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Our club LSA has an IFR approach certified GPS,
>>> autopilot, a second nav/comm and the whole works.
>>
>> Which LSA? How do you like it?
>
> It is a Zodiac. I love it. It flies a bit slower than a 172, seats
> only two but flies great.

Where is your club Andrew?

Andrew Sarangan
April 9th 07, 04:20 PM
On Apr 9, 10:48 am, "Gig 601XL Builder" <wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net>
wrote:
> Andrew Sarangan wrote:
> > On Apr 8, 8:34 pm, ArtP > wrote:

> >> Which LSA? How do you like it?
>
> > It is a Zodiac. I love it. It flies a bit slower than a 172, seats
> > only two but flies great.
>
> Where is your club Andrew?

www.daytonpilotsclub.org

Google