From: Geoff Peck )
Subject: CHARTER: rec.aviation.piloting
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Date: 2002-01-13 00:45:07 PST

The charter of rec.aviation.piloting is:

* Information pertinent to pilots of general aviation aircraft
* which would not fall into one of the other non-misc
* rec.aviation groups. Topics include, but are not limited to
* flying skills, interesting sights, destinations, flight
* characteristics of aircraft, unusual situations, handling
* emergencies, working with air traffic control, international
* flights, customs and immigration, experiences with
* ground support facilities, etc.

Before posting articles to Usenet, please read the Usenet guidelines:
http://www.faqs.org/usenet/

The use of true names (rather than screen names) is preferred.
Anonymous posting is discouraged, as are off-topic articles.

Chit-chat and hangar-flying articles unrelated to piloting should be
posted in rec.aviation.miscellaneous.

Use cross-posting sparingly. If an article "90% belongs" in one
group and "10% belongs" in another, post it only to the first group.
If you are replying to a cross-posted article and your reply is
germane to only a subset of the original groups, please ensure
that you check the Newsgroups: line to remove unnecessary groups.

When composing a followup article, trim all but the essential
original text, and place your comments at the end of the article
rather than at the top.

Remember, your articles are accessible worldwide and archived
on-line for posterity at:

http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

So please refrain from posting content that publicly demeans airman or
may be interpreted by the lay public as portraying airmen as less than
responsible and prudent.

"Let thy speech be better than silence, or be silent."
- Dionysus the Elder

Mxsmanic
April 9th 07, 04:59 PM
Despite the claim of a monthly repost, this has only been posted once before,
by yourself. The first paragraph was posted in 2002; much of the additional
text is yours, although you don't clearly distinguish between what Geoff Peck
posted and what you've added. The reference to Google groups is a dead
giveaway that text has been added, though, particularly the text

> So please refrain from posting content that publicly demeans airman or
> may be interpreted by the lay public as portraying airmen as less than
> responsible and prudent.

In any case, I was unable to find any official charter in the ISC archives for
the newsgroup or in Google's archives.

You're entitled to express your opinion, but misrepresenting your opinion as a
directive or opinion of a third party is unethical.

Maxwell
April 9th 07, 05:25 PM
"Mxsmanic" > wrote in message
> Despite the claim of a monthly repost, this has only been posted once
> before,
> by yourself. The first paragraph was posted in 2002; much of the
> additional
> text is yours, although you don't clearly distinguish between what Geoff
> Peck
> posted and what you've added. The reference to Google groups is a dead
> giveaway that text has been added, though, particularly the text
>
>> So please refrain from posting content that publicly demeans airman or
>> may be interpreted by the lay public as portraying airmen as less than
>> responsible and prudent.
>
> In any case, I was unable to find any official charter in the ISC archives
> for
> the newsgroup or in Google's archives.
>
> You're entitled to express your opinion, but misrepresenting your opinion
> as a
> directive or opinion of a third party is unethical.

Pot, kettle, black. For sure.

Jim Logajan
April 9th 07, 06:23 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote:
> In any case, I was unable to find any official charter in the ISC
> archives for the newsgroup or in Google's archives.

The offical charter is in the ISC archives here:
ftp://ftp.isc.org/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.aviation-reorg

"Information pertinent to pilots of general aviation aircraft which
would not fall into one of the other non-misc rec.aviation groups.
Topics include, but are not limited to flying skills, interesting sights,
destinations, flight characteristics of aircraft, unusual situations,
handling emergencies, working with air traffic control, international
flights, customs and immigration, experiences with ground support
facilities, etc."

It's interesting to see that there are people who voted in the reorg back
in 1992 who are still posting, like:

Ron Natalie and
Ron Wanttaja.

Ron Wanttaja
April 10th 07, 03:43 PM
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 17:23:51 -0000, Jim Logajan > wrote:

> It's interesting to see that there are people who voted in the reorg back
> in 1992 who are still posting, like:
>
> Ron Natalie and
> Ron Wanttaja.

By '92 I was an old USENET hand. I dug back in Google Groups, found what was
probably my first posting to an aviation group (net.aviation) in 1984:

http://tinyurl.com/38t8lf

Ron Natalie was posting at least a year before that....

Ron Wanttaja

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 10th 07, 05:38 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Despite the claim of a monthly repost, this has only been posted once
> before, by yourself. The first paragraph was posted in 2002; much of
> the additional text is yours, although you don't clearly distinguish
> between what Geoff Peck posted and what you've added. The reference
> to Google groups is a dead giveaway that text has been added, though,
> particularly the text
>
>> So please refrain from posting content that publicly demeans airman
>> or may be interpreted by the lay public as portraying airmen as less
>> than responsible and prudent.
>
> In any case, I was unable to find any official charter in the ISC
> archives for the newsgroup or in Google's archives.

Jesus wept.

What a twit you reall yare.

Bertie

> You're entitled to express your opinion, but misrepresenting your
> opinion as a directive or opinion of a third party is unethical.

Jim Logajan
April 10th 07, 06:10 PM
Ron Wanttaja > wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 17:23:51 -0000, Jim Logajan >
> wrote:
>
>> It's interesting to see that there are people who voted in the reorg
>> back in 1992 who are still posting, like:
>>
>> Ron Natalie and
>> Ron Wanttaja.
>
> By '92 I was an old USENET hand. I dug back in Google Groups, found
> what was probably my first posting to an aviation group (net.aviation)
> in 1984:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/38t8lf
>
> Ron Natalie was posting at least a year before that....

That's a long time! I didn't encounter Usenet/netnews till 1988 and my
first post wasn't till several years later.

RL Anderson
May 16th 07, 03:21 PM
Jim Logajan wrote:
[Snip]

Hi Jim,

> The offical charter is in the ISC archives here:
> ftp://ftp.isc.org/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.aviation-reorg
>
> "Information pertinent to pilots of general aviation aircraft which
> would not fall into one of the other non-misc rec.aviation groups.
> Topics include, but are not limited to flying skills, interesting sights,
> destinations, flight characteristics of aircraft, unusual situations,
> handling emergencies, working with air traffic control, international
> flights, customs and immigration, experiences with ground support
> facilities, etc."
>
> It's interesting to see that there are people who voted in the reorg back
> in 1992 who are still posting, like:
>
> Ron Natalie and
> Ron Wanttaja.

Don't mean to cause a problem, but I am not able to find the group
charter at the address you provided. In fact, as I checked out the ISC
FTP server, I was not able to find any charter on this NG.

Just thought I'd pass it on.

Rick

Martin X. Moleski, SJ
May 16th 07, 05:13 PM
On Wed, 16 May 2007 07:21:57 -0700, RL Anderson > wrote in >:

>Jim Logajan wrote:

>> The offical charter is in the ISC archives here:
>> ftp://ftp.isc.org/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.aviation-reorg

>> "Information pertinent to pilots of general aviation aircraft which
>> would not fall into one of the other non-misc rec.aviation groups.
>> Topics include, but are not limited to flying skills, interesting sights,
>> destinations, flight characteristics of aircraft, unusual situations,
>> handling emergencies, working with air traffic control, international
>> flights, customs and immigration, experiences with ground support
>> facilities, etc."

>Don't mean to cause a problem, but I am not able to find the group
>charter at the address you provided. In fact, as I checked out the ISC
>FTP server, I was not able to find any charter on this NG.

The charter for this group is in the file that Jim referenced.

You have to read down through it to find the section relevant
to this group.

I found it just now--exactly what Jim quoted:

rec.aviation.piloting
Information pertinent to pilots of general aviation aircraft which
would not fall into one of the other non-misc rec.aviation groups.
Topics include, but are not limited to flying skills, interesting sights,
destinations, flight characteristics of aircraft, unusual situations,
handling emergencies, working with air traffic control, international
flights, customs and immigration, experiences with ground support
facilities, etc.

Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.

Google