PDA

View Full Version : Changing Logbooks

Jose
April 10th 07, 08:54 PM
> I'm due for a flight review shortly, so I figure I'll start a new logbook
> with that entry.
>
> I'm wondering what anyone else does regarding endorsements. I have a high
> performance endorsement, and I don't know how I should carry it forward.
>
> Should I photocopy the page from the old logbook and paste/tape it in the
> back of the new book?

I wouldn't change logbooks just because of a flight review (or even a
new rating). Just keep using the old one until you run out of pages.
But in any case, when you go to a new logbook, make a note in the new
book of the dates and CFIs for all endorsements still needed, and of
which logbook they are actually located in. You don't generally have to
carry your endorsements with you, just have them. (You don't have to
carry your logbook either, in general).

There is no harm in pasting a photocopy of an old endorsement in the new
logbook.

There is great benefit in photocopying (or scanning) your entire logbook
and putting the copy in a safe place. Logbooks do get lost. Mine was
stolen some twenty years ago. I was fortunate in that I kept a
photocopy of every page.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.

Steve Foley
April 10th 07, 09:37 PM
I'm due for a flight review shortly, so I figure I'll start a new logbook
with that entry.

I'm wondering what anyone else does regarding endorsements. I have a high
performance endorsement, and I don't know how I should carry it forward.

Should I photocopy the page from the old logbook and paste/tape it in the
back of the new book?

April 10th 07, 10:05 PM
Steve Foley > wrote:
> I'm due for a flight review shortly, so I figure I'll start a new logbook
> with that entry.

> I'm wondering what anyone else does regarding endorsements. I have a high
> performance endorsement, and I don't know how I should carry it forward.

> Should I photocopy the page from the old logbook and paste/tape it in the
> back of the new book?

Who would ever want to see it other than maybe an FBO one time so
they could record it before they rent you something that required
an endorsement?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Andrew Sarangan
April 10th 07, 10:12 PM
On Apr 10, 4:37 pm, "Steve Foley" > wrote:
> I'm due for a flight review shortly, so I figure I'll start a new logbook
> with that entry.
>
> I'm wondering what anyone else does regarding endorsements. I have a high
> performance endorsement, and I don't know how I should carry it forward.
>
> Should I photocopy the page from the old logbook and paste/tape it in the
> back of the new book?

Instead of photocopying it, just scan it into a computer and save it
in a safe place. You should also think about whether you really need
to maintain a physical logbook. There is nothing wrong with keeping
the record electronically, especially if you are not working towards a
rating or certificate.

Steve Foley[_2_]
April 10th 07, 10:15 PM
"Jose" > wrote in message

> I wouldn't change logbooks just because of a flight review (or even a new
> rating). Just keep using the old one until you run out of pages.

I forgot to add that the old one is almost full. It's twelve years old (I
know - I don't fly enough) and I won't get another yer out of it. I figure
I'll change now, so I don't have to keep crossing out the '19' at the top of
the year column.

Peter R.
April 11th 07, 01:26 AM
On 4/10/2007 5:12:20 PM, "Andrew Sarangan" wrote:

> There is nothing wrong with keeping
> the record electronically, especially if you are not working towards a
> rating or certificate.

Yep, that's what I have been doing for the last three years using Logbook
Pro. Beats having to total all columns after every seven to ten flights or
so. I have a physical endorsement sheet that I use for biennials and
WINGs-related needs.

Someday I might even get around to printing the majority of the log on
logbook sized paper for convenient glances.

--
Peter

Jose
April 11th 07, 02:04 AM
>> There is nothing wrong with keeping
>> the record electronically, especially if you are not working towards a
>> rating or certificate.
>

> Yep, that's what I have been doing for the last three years using Logbook
> Pro.

Yanno, there's just something visceral about turning the pages of a real
logbook, with actual ink on paper entries carefully penned over the
course of many flying years.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.

Crash Lander[_1_]
April 11th 07, 02:10 AM
"Peter R." > wrote in message
> Someday I might even get around to printing the majority of the log on
> logbook sized paper for convenient glances.
>
> --
> Peter

Not wanting to hijack the thread. Quick message to Peter R. The natives are
out searching for you over in agmfs mate.
Crash Lander

Larry Dighera
April 11th 07, 02:53 AM
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 01:04:00 GMT, Jose >
wrote in >:

>Yanno, there's just something visceral about turning the pages of a real
>logbook, with actual ink on paper entries carefully penned over the
>course of many flying years.

It's like the difference between a genuine celebrity signature penned
in their own warm hand, and a the name of the celebrity printed on a
page by a cold, mechanical printing press.

Cryptic notations from flight instructors past, sweat stained pages
from soaring in the desert heat, an FBO receipt laid-in with "Ok to
solo" scrawled across it. these subtle obscurities and more chronicle
the years with cryptic nostalgia....

The drudge of totaling columns and arithmetic errors be damned. Give
me a tangible tome in which to tally my time spent navigating the
third dimension. :-)

Jose
April 11th 07, 03:30 AM
> Fair enough. However, I am afraid my relatively young age (42) for and late
> start to aviation have already caused me to miss the true golden age of
> aviation (as I alluded to in another thread). Thus to me there is no
> difference between reading my entries in cold, black&white versus actual ink.

Oh, pshaw. Just because your age is the answer to the universe won't
prevent you from acquiring a taste for parchment. Besides, you're young
- it will take you six more years before you're thirty.

(hex.)

I suppose if you haven't been flying much, you don't =yet= have a
logbook that holds all these memories, but if you start now, you =will=
amass such a tome, and in your "old age" it will bring you great
satisfaction.

Besides, you can read it when the GPS goes TU.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.

Peter R.
April 11th 07, 03:53 AM
On 4/10/2007 9:04:01 PM, Jose wrote:

> Yanno, there's just something visceral about turning the pages of a real
> logbook, with actual ink on paper entries carefully penned over the
> course of many flying years.

Fair enough. However, I am afraid my relatively young age (42) for and late
start to aviation have already caused me to miss the true golden age of
aviation (as I alluded to in another thread). Thus to me there is no
difference between reading my entries in cold, black&white versus actual ink.
I am only speaking for myself, mind you, and I certainly respect and admire
those of you who agree with the quoted text above.

--
Peter

Crash Lander[_1_]
April 11th 07, 04:07 AM
"Peter R." > wrote in message
>> Yanno, there's just something visceral about turning the pages of a real
>> logbook, with actual ink on paper entries carefully penned over the
>> course of many flying years.
>
> Fair enough. However, I am afraid my relatively young age (42) for and
> late
> start to aviation have already caused me to miss the true golden age of
> aviation (as I alluded to in another thread). Thus to me there is no
> difference between reading my entries in cold, black&white versus actual
> ink.
> I am only speaking for myself, mind you, and I certainly respect and
> admire
> those of you who agree with the quoted text above.
>
> --
> Peter

I fill mine out in the log book, but I've also done up my own spreadsheet on
the pc that automatically totals up each column. I've even put in an extra
column that allows me to put in how much cash I spent on that flight. (Rent,
Club Fees etc.) This way I can also see how broke aviation is keeping me.
I've actually just reached a milestone! I've filled in 1 whole page in my
first logbook! LOL!
Oz Lander

Peter R.
April 11th 07, 04:10 AM
On 4/10/2007 9:10:30 PM, "Crash Lander" wrote:

> Not wanting to hijack the thread. Quick message to Peter R. The natives
> are out searching for you over in agmfs mate.

Hey, Crash! Thanks for that. I have taken a temporary break if for no other
reason than I have found myself with absolutely nothing to add there these
last few months. Couple that with being a bit time-constrained and it seemed
that a break was inevitable. I'll most likely be back once I wise up. :)

--
Peter

Peter R.
April 11th 07, 04:22 AM
On 4/10/2007 11:07:43 PM, "Crash Lander" wrote:

> I've even put in an extra
> column that allows me to put in how much cash I spent on that flight.
> (Rent, Club Fees etc.) This way I can also see how broke aviation is
> keeping me.

Ha! You must not be flying much. If you were you would quickly discover no
practical use for those numbers. ;)

--
Peter

Danny Deger
April 11th 07, 05:33 AM
"Jose" > wrote in message
>> I'm due for a flight review shortly, so I figure I'll start a new logbook
>> with that entry.

snip

> There is great benefit in photocopying (or scanning) your entire logbook
> and putting the copy in a safe place. Logbooks do get lost. Mine was
> stolen some twenty years ago. I was fortunate in that I kept a photocopy
> of every page.

I thought a lost log book was an oppertunity to get as much time and as many
endorsements as you wish?

Danny Deger

Ben Jackson
April 11th 07, 06:54 AM
On 2007-04-10, Andrew Sarangan > wrote:

> Instead of photocopying it, just scan it into a computer and save it

Instead of scanning it, take pictures of the pages with any modern
digital camera. With the right setup, it's a lot faster, and perfectly
legible.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/

April 11th 07, 10:13 AM
Andrew Sarangan > wrote:
> Instead of photocopying it, just scan it into a computer and save it
> in a safe place.

40 years from now, I'll walk up to you and hand you photocopies of a log
book and a CD-R with scans of the same log book. Which one will you be
able to read? (Put another way, does your PC have an open-reel 9-track
tape drive or a punch card reader?)

Matt Roberds

Steve Foley[_2_]
April 11th 07, 11:09 AM
> wrote in message
> Andrew Sarangan > wrote:
>> Instead of photocopying it, just scan it into a computer and save it
>> in a safe place.
>
> 40 years from now, I'll walk up to you and hand you photocopies of a log
> book and a CD-R with scans of the same log book. Which one will you be
> able to read? (Put another way, does your PC have an open-reel 9-track
> tape drive or a punch card reader?)
>
> Matt Roberds

I recently threw out the 8 in ch floppy backups of the old system. I think
they were IBM System 36. I've still got a pile of 5 1/4 floppies, and some
Colorado Jumbo tapes.

Maxwell
April 11th 07, 01:39 PM
> wrote in message
> Andrew Sarangan > wrote:
>> Instead of photocopying it, just scan it into a computer and save it
>> in a safe place.
>
> 40 years from now, I'll walk up to you and hand you photocopies of a log
> book and a CD-R with scans of the same log book. Which one will you be
> able to read? (Put another way, does your PC have an open-reel 9-track
> tape drive or a punch card reader?)

I think that's the main point. So much has been written, warning of the
shelf live of CDs, that I would be afraid to trust them.

Peter R.
April 11th 07, 02:08 PM
On 4/11/2007 5:13:29 AM, wrote:

> 40 years from now, I'll walk up to you and hand you photocopies of a log
> book and a CD-R with scans of the same log book.

It would depend on how you stored your photocopies for those 40 years.

--
Peter

B A R R Y[_2_]
April 12th 07, 12:37 PM
Jose wrote:

> Yanno, there's just something visceral about turning the pages of a real
> logbook, with actual ink on paper entries carefully penned over the
> course of many flying years.

I look at another angle of electronic logbooks.

I have many old photos and documents. I've lost at least twice as many
digital pictures and documents. A few years ago, my wife bought me an
1890's New Haven Railroad locomotive engineer's diary at an antique
shop. I doubt anything that I store in digital format will ever be
"found" in the future.

Andrew Sarangan
April 12th 07, 03:04 PM
On Apr 12, 7:37 am, B A R R Y > wrote:
> Jose wrote:
>
> > Yanno, there's just something visceral about turning the pages of a real
> > logbook, with actual ink on paper entries carefully penned over the
> > course of many flying years.
>
> I look at another angle of electronic logbooks.
>
> I have many old photos and documents. I've lost at least twice as many
> digital pictures and documents. A few years ago, my wife bought me an
> 1890's New Haven Railroad locomotive engineer's diary at an antique
> shop. I doubt anything that I store in digital format will ever be
> "found" in the future.

When I was a kid we lost everything in a terrorist attack. There is
not a single family photo left. Now I don't keep anything important on
paper. All my stuff is electronic and is archived offsite. It is
cheaper too because it takes no storage space. I have also learned not
to be a pack rat. It is better to store memory in your head than on
paper.

Google