PDA

View Full Version : It's unfair- snow!

Viperdoc[_4_]
April 11th 07, 12:45 PM
Two weeks ago we had weather in the upper Midwest of 78 degrees and sunny.
Took the taildragger out and did some touch and goes at three different
airports, and they went fine. It was the first flight after three months due
to a mandatory prop inspection, and the plane lands hot- 120 in the pattern,
90 on base/final, and no less than 80 over the numbers. Any less and it
sinks like a rock, and with the nose up there's no forward visibility. A
great evening flight.

Well, today and for the next few days we have up to 10 inches of snow
forecast. More snow shoveling in front of the hangar door. More slipping on
the icy ramp. No VFR flight, and lots of wet icy clouds at low altitudes.

What happened to spring?

cpw
April 11th 07, 12:53 PM
I hear you! Yesterday was a nice one in northern Michigan, though.
Took the Citabria up to Pellston for breakfast at the Village Inn (a
very nice on airport restaurant) and then flew north and orbited the
Mackinac Bridge for some beautiful water, snow, ice, and sun photos.
Where are you located, Viperdoc?
CPW

Viperdoc[_4_]
April 11th 07, 01:01 PM
Located near Milwaukee, just west. It's blowing pretty hard outside, and the
forecast is 4-6 inches of snow. I would have hoped that it would all melt
quickly, but it looks like it'll be cold through the weekend.

At least I may get a chance to try the snowblower I got for Christmas!

Jim Burns[_2_]
April 11th 07, 01:49 PM
The first two of 8 are on the ground here now. Very fine and wet snow.
Doubt if the 20 mph winds that are forecast will blow it around much. Roads
are a mess already.
Jim

"Viperdoc" > wrote in message
> Located near Milwaukee, just west. It's blowing pretty hard outside, and
the
> forecast is 4-6 inches of snow. I would have hoped that it would all melt
> quickly, but it looks like it'll be cold through the weekend.
>
> At least I may get a chance to try the snowblower I got for Christmas!

Travis Marlatte
April 11th 07, 03:05 PM
Heading for Sun n' Fun tomorrow - maybe. Here, just north of Chicago, a thin
blanket of wet slush. Supposed to be in the upper 30's and low 40's today
and tomorrow. I'll brush the plane off tonight and hope it's not an ice cube
in the morning. Mostly cloudy and 50's all the way to Florida behind
multiple fronts. Then forecast scattered thunderstorms in Florida all
through the weekend.

Perfect weather for a long x-country!

-------------------------------
Travis
Lake N3094P
PWK

Peter R.
April 11th 07, 03:30 PM
On 4/11/2007 7:45:59 AM, "Viperdoc" wrote:

> Well, today and for the next few days we have up to 10 inches of snow
> forecast. More snow shoveling in front of the hangar door. More slipping
> on the icy ramp. No VFR flight, and lots of wet icy clouds at low
> altitudes.
>
> What happened to spring?

Yep, I got burned here in NY. I drained the gas and put the snowblower away
two weeks ago during the 60 degree temps.

My Bonanza is finally coming out of annual this week, after four longs weeks
of waiting for various parts, and I was so looking forward to a VFR day to
get a test flight in. Oh, well, low IFR from a blizzard with ice in the
clouds will have to do... I can't wait anymore. :) (just joking)

--
Peter

Montblack
April 11th 07, 03:45 PM
("Viperdoc" wrote)
> Well, today and for the next few days we have up to 10 inches of snow
> forecast. More snow shoveling in front of the hangar door. More slipping
> on the icy ramp. No VFR flight, and lots of wet icy clouds at low
> altitudes.

(April 11th)
This just in from Minn-a-SNOW-ta:

....There will be NO shoveling!

> What happened to spring?

It's under the snow. Tulips were up two weeks ago.

Montblack

Newps
April 11th 07, 04:03 PM
Montblack wrote:

> ("Viperdoc" wrote)
>
>>Well, today and for the next few days we have up to 10 inches of snow
>>forecast. More snow shoveling in front of the hangar door. More slipping
>>on the icy ramp. No VFR flight, and lots of wet icy clouds at low
>>altitudes.
>

> (April 11th)
> This just in from Minn-a-SNOW-ta:
>
> ...There will be NO shoveling!
>

>>What happened to spring?
>

> It's under the snow. Tulips were up two weeks ago.

Get that crap dried up. I will be in town on a hit and run raid Friday
to pick up my brothers boat and bring it to its new home.

Jay Honeck
April 11th 07, 04:25 PM
> (April 11th)
> This just in from Minn-a-SNOW-ta:

And this just in from Iowa....it's....it's...SNOWING here, too!
Yikes!

The magnolias, the daffodils, the apple trees, all so recently in full-
bloom, are all dead. This global warming thing is gonna freeze us all
to death.

The only GOOD thing is that maybe, just maybe, this cold snap took
down all the insects, too. The box elder bugs were really starting to
get annoying.
---
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

LJ Blodgett
April 11th 07, 04:45 PM
What happened to globle warming?

Viperdoc wrote:
> Two weeks ago we had weather in the upper Midwest of 78 degrees and sunny.
> Took the taildragger out and did some touch and goes at three different
> airports, and they went fine. It was the first flight after three months due
> to a mandatory prop inspection, and the plane lands hot- 120 in the pattern,
> 90 on base/final, and no less than 80 over the numbers. Any less and it
> sinks like a rock, and with the nose up there's no forward visibility. A
> great evening flight.
>
> Well, today and for the next few days we have up to 10 inches of snow
> forecast. More snow shoveling in front of the hangar door. More slipping on
> the icy ramp. No VFR flight, and lots of wet icy clouds at low altitudes.
>
> What happened to spring?

john smith
April 11th 07, 05:11 PM
Iceboat?

Newps wrote:

> Get that crap dried up. I will be in town on a hit and run raid Friday
> to pick up my brothers boat and bring it to its new home.

April 12th 07, 01:48 AM
Viperdoc > wrote:
> Well, today and for the next few days we have up to 10 inches of snow
> forecast. More snow shoveling in front of the hangar door. More slipping
> on the icy ramp. No VFR flight, and lots of wet icy clouds at low
> altitudes.

1) Wait for a VFR day
2) Put your snow shovel in the plane
3) Gas up
4) Take off
5) Fly a heading of 180 degrees, plus or minus 10 degrees
6) Divert as needed to avoid things, but always return to 180 +/- 10
7) About every 100 miles, land at an airport with FBO
8) Gas up
9) Get your snow shovel and walk into the FBO and/or around the airport
10) If nobody comments on the shovel, take off and fly 180 +/- 10 again
11) At the first place where someone points at the snow shovel and asks,
"What the heck is that thing?", immediately rent a hangar and call a
local real estate agent.

Matt Roberds

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe
April 12th 07, 10:43 PM
"Viperdoc" > wrote in message
<...> Well, today and for the next few days we have up to 10 inches of snow
> forecast. More snow shoveling in front of the hangar door. More slipping
> on the icy ramp. No VFR flight, and lots of wet icy clouds at low
> altitudes.
>
> What happened to spring?

I blame the NHL.

Since they pushed the playoffs into what used to be summer, it only makes
sense that the weather would follow.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Viperdoc[_4_]
April 13th 07, 02:23 AM
As an aging hockey player and youth coach, I hope the New York Rangers win
the Stanley Cup. It would be the only redeeming aspect of the snow- staying
inside to watch the NHL playoffs.

JN

Google