PDA

View Full Version : Uses for a stopwatch

Mxsmanic
April 15th 07, 03:54 PM
How many uses are there for a stopwatch or similar device aboard an aircraft?
I note that a clock with an elapsed-time function is required equipment. The
only time I've had occasion to use it is for holding patterns. What other
uses are there?

Ron Natalie
April 15th 07, 04:19 PM
Mxsmanic wrote:
> How many uses are there for a stopwatch or similar device aboard an aircraft?
> I note that a clock with an elapsed-time function is required equipment. The
> only time I've had occasion to use it is for holding patterns. What other
> uses are there?

Holding patterns, procedure turns, timing non-precision approaches from
the FAF to determine the missed approach point, partial panel turns
(you make a standard rate turn for what ever amount of degrees of
turn you need, easier than chasing the whisky compass).

tom418
April 15th 07, 07:14 PM
Dumping fuel is one reason for a stopwatch to be used.
In a B727, you're dumping fuel at ~ 2400 lbs/minute. So it's best to pay
attention to how long you've been dumping. If you were taking a practical
test for your rating, chances are you departed with an inop generator #3,
and you "lost" engines 1 and two, and returning to land, so you'll be on
your knees cranking down the gear, while looking at that little Wakmann
clock on your S/O panel. Been there, done that, got the T shirt.
"Mxsmanic" > wrote in message
> How many uses are there for a stopwatch or similar device aboard an
aircraft?
> I note that a clock with an elapsed-time function is required equipment.
The
> only time I've had occasion to use it is for holding patterns. What other
> uses are there?
>
> --
> Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.

ZikZak
April 15th 07, 09:45 PM
On Apr 15, 7:54 am, Mxsmanic > wrote:
> How many uses are there for a stopwatch or similar device aboard an aircraft?
> I note that a clock with an elapsed-time function is required equipment. The
> only time I've had occasion to use it is for holding patterns. What other
> uses are there?

The most critical use is identifying the missed approach point on a
nonprecision approach.

john smith[_2_]
April 16th 07, 02:36 AM
> Mxsmanic wrote:
> > How many uses are there for a stopwatch or similar device aboard an
> > aircraft?

I use one to time the fuel used out of each tank.

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 18th 07, 12:32 AM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> How many uses are there for a stopwatch or similar device aboard an
> aircraft? I note that a clock with an elapsed-time function is
> required equipment.

No it isn't, fjukktard.

Wroing again.

Appartently you can't read as well as not being able to fly.

Bertie

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 18th 07, 12:34 AM
"tom418" > wrote in
:

> Dumping fuel is one reason for a stopwatch to be used.
> In a B727, you're dumping fuel at ~ 2400 lbs/minute. So it's best to
> pay attention to how long you've been dumping. If you were taking a
> practical test for your rating, chances are you departed with an inop
> generator #3, and you "lost" engines 1 and two, and returning to land,
> so you'll be on your knees cranking down the gear, while looking at
> that little Wakmann clock on your S/O panel. Been there, done that,

Uh, if you're doing al that you're probably desperate enough to be
blowing it out to the standpipes anyway..

And it wa built as an FE panel, now manned by S/O's

Bertie

Google