PDA

View Full Version : Tacoma, WA - Narrows airport might be closing

steve[_1_]
April 17th 07, 03:28 AM
I just heard that they are considering closing down the Tacoma Narrows
Airport (KTIW) due to zoning and funding issues. This airport has been there
for a long time and it is a beautiful place to fly to. It would be a shame
to see it shut down. The other nearest airports to the Tacoma/ Gig Harbor
area are not options to use, Olympia, WA and Hoquiem, WA. both about 45
minutes to 2 hours away.

Is there anything we can do to prevent this?

--
Thanks,

Steve

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Orval Fairbairn
April 17th 07, 04:33 AM
In article >,
"steve" > wrote:

> I just heard that they are considering closing down the Tacoma Narrows
> Airport (KTIW) due to zoning and funding issues. This airport has been there
> for a long time and it is a beautiful place to fly to. It would be a shame
> to see it shut down. The other nearest airports to the Tacoma/ Gig Harbor
> area are not options to use, Olympia, WA and Hoquiem, WA. both about 45
> minutes to 2 hours away.
>
> Is there anything we can do to prevent this?

1. Is it publicly funded?

2. Are Federal grants involved?

3. Is it a surplus military property?

4. Is state money involved?

Any of those three can prove to be deal killers to developers who covet
the property.

FAA takes a very dim view of local entities attempting to violate grant
restrictions.

I got this from a Google search on "Tacoma Narrows Airport":

"1005 - Tacoma Narrows Airport

Tacoma Narrows Airport is owned and operated by the City of Tacoma. The
airport is located just 5 miles north of the City in the Gig Harbor
Peninsula area. Tacoma Narrows Airport provides a place for aircraft to
easily land and take off by offering instrument and GPS landing
capabilities.

Tower operations are from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. The airport offers 24-hour
U.S. Customs and weather reporting. Card lock fuel sales for AV Gas;
along with jet fuel sales, aircraft repairs and maintenance and part
sales are offered by various businesses at the airport. The on-site
restaurant is open seven days a week serving breakfast, lunch and
dinner.

For hangar rentals or additional information, call the Tacoma Narrows
Airport directly at (253) 853-5844 or the Tacoma Narrows Airport
information line at (253) 573-2477."

More:

"The Tacoma Narrows Airport (TIW) is located in a picturesque rural
setting within minutes of both Tacoma and Seattle, and is rapidly
becoming the airport of choice in the South Puget Sound. With a
5,002-foot runway, full IFR capabilities, Control Tower (8 a.m.-8 p.m.
365 days a year) and 24-hour weather reporting, the airport is
accessible at almost any time of the day or night to all types of
aircraft.

Tacoma Narrows Airport has "international gateway" status with U.S.
Customs, available 24 hours a day/seven days a week.** Pilots are
responsible for calling U.S. Customs at least two hours prior to
arriving at Tacoma Narrows Airport.* You can reach the Customıs office
at (253) 593-6338 extension 2 (Monday * Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.).*
After hours call (253) 383-7900 or toll free at (888) 205-0215.

Because of the central location, this general aviation airport is
convenient for visitors to the Puget Sound region.* After landing, stop
by the on-site restaurant and enjoy the incredible views.* You are
minutes away from shopping, great restaurants, water activities and
hiking or exploring the beautiful surrounding area."*

Economic Impacts"

See: www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/
6C5D369E-6C84-4273-8EAD-2413C1671104/0/OR_TacomaNarrows.pdf

More:

"RUNWAY SAFETY IMPROVEMENTS AT THE TACOMA NARROWS AIRPORT
Winter 2007 * The City of Tacoma selected BERGER/ABAM to design airport
safety improvements for Tacoma Narrows Airport. The 5,002-foot-long
runway at this general aviation airport primarily serves single-engine
planes and is located in a picturesque rural setting west of Tacoma.
This safety area project proposes to extend the ground surface from the
elevation of the runway across Stone Drive to achieve the required 1,000
feet of level surface beyond the end of the runway. Residents of the
areas east and west of the airport use Stone Drive to connect to the
Tacoma Narrows Bridge, which crosses a portion of Puget Sound, a
waterway that separates the airport from the city.
Stone Drive is too close to the end of Runway 17 to meet safety
standards, and rerouting the road around the safety area would be
difficult because of its location, the terrain, and environmental
conditions. To meet the required geometrics for the extended surface
with Stone Drive in its current location, BERGER/ABAM designed a
500-foot lid structure-in effect, a tunnel through the earth-along the
roadway equal to the width of Runway 17's runway safety area.
To meet current Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) standards, the
proposed improvements would lower the profile of the surface of Stone
Drive to provide the required vertical clearances inside the tunnel
while keeping the runway functional and maintaining the geometrics of
the approach lighting. The lid over the tunnel would create a flat
grassy surface that will be able to withstand landings by light
aircraft. The design also allows for a longer operational runway over
Stone Drive for the potential expansion of airport services to larger
aircraft in the event of future airport growth. In addition, people
traveling along Stone Drive will benefit from the added safety the lid
provides.

The City, which owns and operates the airport, received an FAA safety
area improvement grant for the project. Stone Drive is a Pierce County
road, and a conditional use permit between the City and County
establishes specific project requirements.

With the project in its study phase, BERGER/ABAM is coordinating with
all parties to create an alternative that satisfies local and national
design and safety standards."

Apparently they received FAA grants recently, so they are on the hook to
keep it open.

Go to the local FAA grants person with all relevant information
regarding attempts to close it.

C J Campbell[_1_]
April 17th 07, 05:00 AM
On 2007-04-16 19:28:47 -0700, "steve" > said:

> I just heard that they are considering closing down the Tacoma Narrows
> Airport (KTIW) due to zoning and funding issues. This airport has been there
> for a long time and it is a beautiful place to fly to. It would be a shame
> to see it shut down. The other nearest airports to the Tacoma/ Gig Harbor
> area are not options to use, Olympia, WA and Hoquiem, WA. both about 45
> minutes to 2 hours away.
>
> Is there anything we can do to prevent this?

There have been people trying to close TIW ever since it opened. It is
not going anywhere. The FAA simply does not want it to be closed
because it is an important reliever for business jet traffic and it
gets considerable use as a flight training field.

The total funding deficit for the field is only about $50,000 per year,
which ought to put things in perspective. Tacoma says it is more than
$500,000 per year, but that is only if you include the cash expenditure
for a bunch of hangars that Tacoma purchased with money that they lent
to themselves.

TIW's runway needs a new overrun, which will be installed by putting a
lid over Stone Way. The FAA is funding that. The FAA also funds the
control tower, the runway maintenance, and many improvements. The
airport has, in fact, received more than $7 million in FAA funding.

Tacoma has tried to sell the airport to a private developer in the
past. That failed. The FAA will not let them do it and it was found
unconstitutional as well. So now they have found another developer and
they are going to 'lease' the airport to him, with an option to buy. Of
course, the FAA will not allow that, either, but these guys have big
mouths and small brains to match.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Mxsmanic
April 17th 07, 05:27 AM
Orval Fairbairn writes:

> FAA takes a very dim view of local entities attempting to violate grant
> restrictions.

They sure were a tower of strength for Meigs Field.

Chris G.
April 17th 07, 05:27 PM
In any event, AOPA should be involved, too!

1-800-USA-AOPA

Chris G.

C J Campbell wrote:
> On 2007-04-16 19:28:47 -0700, "steve" > said:
>
>> I just heard that they are considering closing down the Tacoma Narrows
>> Airport (KTIW) due to zoning and funding issues. This airport has been
>> there
>> for a long time and it is a beautiful place to fly to. It would be a
>> shame
>> to see it shut down. The other nearest airports to the Tacoma/ Gig Harbor
>> area are not options to use, Olympia, WA and Hoquiem, WA. both about 45
>> minutes to 2 hours away.
>>
>> Is there anything we can do to prevent this?
>
> There have been people trying to close TIW ever since it opened. It is
> not going anywhere. The FAA simply does not want it to be closed because
> it is an important reliever for business jet traffic and it gets
> considerable use as a flight training field.
>
> The total funding deficit for the field is only about $50,000 per year,
> which ought to put things in perspective. Tacoma says it is more than
> $500,000 per year, but that is only if you include the cash expenditure
> for a bunch of hangars that Tacoma purchased with money that they lent
> to themselves.
>
> TIW's runway needs a new overrun, which will be installed by putting a
> lid over Stone Way. The FAA is funding that. The FAA also funds the
> control tower, the runway maintenance, and many improvements. The
> airport has, in fact, received more than $7 million in FAA funding.
>
> Tacoma has tried to sell the airport to a private developer in the past.
> That failed. The FAA will not let them do it and it was found
> unconstitutional as well. So now they have found another developer and
> they are going to 'lease' the airport to him, with an option to buy. Of
> course, the FAA will not allow that, either, but these guys have big
> mouths and small brains to match.

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 18th 07, 12:39 AM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Orval Fairbairn writes:
>
>> FAA takes a very dim view of local entities attempting to violate grant
>> restrictions.
>
> They sure were a tower of strength for Meigs Field.

You're an idiot.

Bertie

Rip
April 18th 07, 12:56 AM
Mxsmanic wrote:
> Orval Fairbairn writes:
>

>>FAA takes a very dim view of local entities attempting to violate grant
>>restrictions.
>

> They sure were a tower of strength for Meigs Field.

Anthony, you're wrong YET AGAIN. Meigs Field had no grant assurances.

Rip

Mxsmanic
April 18th 07, 02:53 AM
Rip writes:

> Anthony, you're wrong YET AGAIN. Meigs Field had no grant assurances.

So the FAA is powerless without them?

C J Campbell[_1_]
April 18th 07, 03:21 AM
On 2007-04-17 09:27:02 -0700, "Chris G." > said:

> In any event, AOPA should be involved, too!
>
> 1-800-USA-AOPA

The field has an AOPA rep that is very on top of things.

There are a couple of loudmouths at the City of Tacoma and a couple
neighbors (one who actually threatened to shoot airplanes down!) who
have been saying for nearly 30 years that the airport is about to be
closed.

That would violate a deal that was made when the airport was created.
Originally, Tacoma Narrows Airport was located in Tacoma, but Tacoma
promised that if that airport was closed for development then a new
airport (the present TIW) would be built. This is a binding contract
between Tacoma and the FAA, and Tacoma has yet to find a way to weasel
out of it. Not that they haven't tried, but even the Washington State
Supreme Court sided with the FAA.

Tacoma is going to keep on wasting taxpayers money trying to find a way
to close the airport, though, and their media clowns will keep on
badmouthing the airport. However, the airport has been designated as
essential to national security and it is an important FEMA disaster
preparedness point. Pierce County wants the airport, but Tacoma won't
turn it over to them because they know Pierce County wants a big
expansion there. All of this talk is motivated by a few politically
powerful people belonging to the Gig Harbor Merchants Association --
the same people who prevented Wal-Mart from opening in Gig Harbor,
stopped the second Tacoma Narrows Bridge from being built, and kept
Costco out of Gig Harbor. Oops. The bridge is nearly done and the
Costco is under construction. Wal-Mart is just down the highway and
they merchants lost all their business anyway. Well, half of one out of
four isn't bad. :-) The odds of TIW being closed are about the same as
that of Sea-Tac. It could happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 20th 07, 10:15 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Rip writes:
>
>> Anthony, you're wrong YET AGAIN. Meigs Field had no grant assurances.
>
> So the FAA is powerless without them?

You;re an idiot.

berti e

RL Anderson
April 20th 07, 11:51 PM
C J Campbell wrote:
[Snip]

Hi C J,

> That would violate a deal that was made when the airport was created.
> Originally, Tacoma Narrows Airport was located in Tacoma, but Tacoma
> promised that if that airport was closed for development then a new
> airport (the present TIW) would be built. This is a binding contract
> between Tacoma and the FAA, and Tacoma has yet to find a way to weasel
> out of it. Not that they haven't tried, but even the Washington State
> Supreme Court sided with the FAA.

I ran across an old map that shows where the old airport was located.
It shows that it was located approximately where University Place is
now. When I find the address for the chart, I'll post a link in this
thread. BTW, regarding the state supreme court, when did they side with
the FAA? I don't recall hearing about that.

> Tacoma is going to keep on wasting taxpayers money trying to find a way
> to close the airport, though, and their media clowns will keep on
> badmouthing the airport. However, the airport has been designated as
> essential to national security and it is an important FEMA disaster
> preparedness point. Pierce County wants the airport, but Tacoma won't
> turn it over to them because they know Pierce County wants a big
> expansion there. All of this talk is motivated by a few politically
> powerful people belonging to the Gig Harbor Merchants Association -- the
> same people who prevented Wal-Mart from opening in Gig Harbor, stopped
> the second Tacoma Narrows Bridge from being built, and kept Costco out
> of Gig Harbor. Oops. The bridge is nearly done and the Costco is under
> construction. Wal-Mart is just down the highway and they merchants lost
> all their business anyway. Well, half of one out of four isn't bad. :-)
> The odds of TIW being closed are about the same as that of Sea-Tac. It
> could happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'm not a pilot, but I rent some space at Thun/KPLU. I was under the
impression, maybe wrongly, that Pierce County had no interest in TIW.
They have enough problems dealing with Thun. IMO, it would be nice to
have a second county-owned/operated airport, but I don't think that may
happen IIUYC. I don't know how busy TIW is, but it must be somewhat busy
if US Customs is available.

Regarding the Tacoma City Council media clowns, I second your comments.
All those in favor say "Aye".

Anyway, I guess that John Nance bases his King Air at TIW so I would
guess that they don't want to **** him off. After all, he could include
them in one of his future books. But I may be wrong <grin>.

Rick

Mxsmanic
April 21st 07, 03:59 AM
RL Anderson writes:

> BTW, regarding the state supreme court, when did they side with
> the FAA? I don't recall hearing about that.

In any case, Federal entities don't need the support of State supreme courts.
Their authority is determined at the national level.

Don Tuite
May 19th 07, 03:10 AM
On 18 May 2007 17:05:27 -0700, wrote:

>On Apr 16, 11:00 pm, C J Campbell >
>wrote:
>> The total funding deficit for the field is only about $50,000 per year,
>> which ought to put things in perspective. Tacoma says it is more than
>> $500,000 per year, but that is only if you include the cash expenditure
>> for a bunch of hangars that Tacoma purchased with money that they lent
>> to themselves.
>
>That was taxpayer money that could have funded police, roads,
>fire,etc.
>Nice to see property returned to the tax rolls...JG

Vashon Island needs more development like Mt Ranier needs a
merry-go-round.

Don

Google