PDA

View Full Version : Beer, "God had told him to crash the airplane," and other odd tales.

Jim Logajan
April 19th 07, 07:17 PM
Beer makes for some unusual tales - at least that is what I found when I
used that single keyword in a search of the NTSB accident database - though
I expanded the search back to 1-1-1962 which yielded some of the more, um,
interesting tales. 68 records contain the word "beer" - yet no matches with
both "beer" and "stupid" probably because that would be redundant.
("Stupid" yields only 8 records.) Here's one from 1983:

(All caps removed and abbreviations expanded:)

"The aircraft nosed over during a landing in a field near Yerrington,
Nevada. After police found empty beer cans and some unidentified drugs in
the aircraft, the pilot resisted arrest and assaulted the officers. When
interviewed at a hospital, he stated "It was his time to go" and that "God
had told him to crash the airplane." He also stated that a briefcase with
money in it flew out the rear window and that he taped the window shut
while in flight. There was tape on the window; however it was found on the
outside of the aircraft."

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001214X43404&key=1

Larry Dighera
April 19th 07, 07:35 PM
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:17:48 -0000, Jim Logajan >
wrote in >:

>Beer makes for some unusual tales - at least that is what I found when I
>used that single keyword in a search of the NTSB accident database - though
>I expanded the search back to 1-1-1962 which yielded some of the more, um,
>interesting tales.

It might be interesting to use the search term 'God' and see what you
find.

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera,

Gig 601XL Builder
April 19th 07, 08:06 PM
Larry Dighera wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:17:48 -0000, Jim Logajan >
> wrote in >:
>
>> Beer makes for some unusual tales - at least that is what I found
>> when I used that single keyword in a search of the NTSB accident
>> database - though I expanded the search back to 1-1-1962 which
>> yielded some of the more, um, interesting tales.
>
> It might be interesting to use the search term 'God' and see what you
> find.

I think we have a new game to play with the NTSB database.

Erik
April 19th 07, 08:59 PM
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
> Larry Dighera wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:17:48 -0000, Jim Logajan >
>>wrote in >:
>>

>>>Beer makes for some unusual tales - at least that is what I found
>>>when I used that single keyword in a search of the NTSB accident
>>>database - though I expanded the search back to 1-1-1962 which
>>>yielded some of the more, um, interesting tales.
>>
>>It might be interesting to use the search term 'God' and see what you
>>find.
>>

> I think we have a new game to play with the NTSB database.

Oh, wow. It's interesting to look up the airpark where I'm flying out
of.

Google