PDA

View Full Version : JFK ATIS: Strange????

RST Engineering
April 19th 07, 07:25 PM
With four hours to kill at JFK waiting to get back to SMF, I thought I'd
listen to JFK ATIS. The second to last sentence has me somewhat puzzled.

"...aircraft are requested to use the assigned runway for noise abatement.
Advise the controller on initial contact that you have information Bravo."

WTF? How can they NOT use the assigned runway at a class B airport?

Jim

Larry Dighera
April 19th 07, 07:38 PM
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:25:24 -0700, "RST Engineering"
> wrote in
>:

>How can they NOT use the assigned runway at a class B airport?

By requesting another runway?

Don Tuite
April 19th 07, 07:41 PM
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:25:24 -0700, "RST Engineering"
> wrote:

>With four hours to kill at JFK waiting to get back to SMF, I thought I'd
>listen to JFK ATIS. The second to last sentence has me somewhat puzzled.
>
>"...aircraft are requested to use the assigned runway for noise abatement.
>Advise the controller on initial contact that you have information Bravo."
>

>WTF? How can they NOT use the assigned runway at a class B airport?

Pick either "A" or "B":

A. Since New Yorkers are the politest and most obsequious people in
the country, it only follows that New York controllers would phrase
their instructions in the form of polite requests.

B. This is what is known as "an offer you cannot refuse."

Don

Dave J
April 19th 07, 07:43 PM
Maybe they are trying to discourage pilots from *requesting* a more
convenient runway by giving them an explanation of why they might have
gotten a sub-optimal assignment.

If a pilot insists on a certain runway clearance, he might have to
wait, but I don't think the airport can deny the request for reasons
of noise abatement; hence a little nudge-nudge on the ATIS along the
lines of "help us to help you."

Just a guess.

-- dave j

On Apr 19, 11:25 am, "RST Engineering" >
wrote:
> With four hours to kill at JFK waiting to get back to SMF, I thought I'd
> listen to JFK ATIS. The second to last sentence has me somewhat puzzled.
>
> "...aircraft are requested to use the assigned runway for noise abatement.
> Advise the controller on initial contact that you have information Bravo."
>
> WTF? How can they NOT use the assigned runway at a class B airport?
>
> Jim

tom418
April 19th 07, 10:00 PM
I've heard them saying that for decades. As others said, they mean use the
assigned instead of requesting another.

It's one of the standard phrases one would hear on JFK ATIS. Others were:

"Arrivals via Long Island: There are numerous targets in the vicinity of the
Deer Park, Zahn's, Republic and Bethpage Airports."
and... "New York's TCA is in effect" (circa 1970)
"RST Engineering" > wrote in message
> With four hours to kill at JFK waiting to get back to SMF, I thought I'd
> listen to JFK ATIS. The second to last sentence has me somewhat puzzled.
>
> "...aircraft are requested to use the assigned runway for noise abatement.
> Advise the controller on initial contact that you have information Bravo."
>

> WTF? How can they NOT use the assigned runway at a class B airport?
>

> Jim

Matt Whiting
April 19th 07, 10:50 PM
RST Engineering wrote:
> With four hours to kill at JFK waiting to get back to SMF, I thought I'd
> listen to JFK ATIS. The second to last sentence has me somewhat puzzled.
>
> "...aircraft are requested to use the assigned runway for noise abatement.
> Advise the controller on initial contact that you have information Bravo."
>

> WTF? How can they NOT use the assigned runway at a class B airport?
>

> Jim

My only guess is that they are asking pilots not to ask for a runway
other than the one they assign. We are always free to ask for another
runway. I do this fairly often at multi runway airports as I'd rather
take off in a cross-wind than taxi 2 miles.

Matt

Google