PDA

View Full Version : ...and the #1 stupid Dallas city ordinance is:

Dallas
April 19th 07, 08:01 PM
CHAPTER 5 AIRCRAFT AND AIRPORTS

SEC. 5-11. USE OF HYDROPLANES ON CITY PROPERTY.
It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a hydroplane upon any
reservoir or any lake belonging to under control of the city. (Ord. Nos.
8213; 14384)

Presumably because they're Hydro "planes".

--
Dallas

Mxsmanic
April 19th 07, 08:16 PM
Dallas writes:

> Presumably because they're Hydro "planes".

I supposed that they are forbidden for reasons of safety, security, and
hygiene. How many reservoirs and lakes are there in Dallas large enough to
accommodate aircraft?

TheSmokingGnu
April 19th 07, 08:24 PM
Dallas wrote:
> Presumably because they're Hydro "planes".

Bernoulli's Principle is blasphemy! Blasphemy! Thou shalt not reduce
thine surface pressure!

Maybe it's cuz hydroplanes need to go really really fast and boats tend
not to have spectacularly useful brakes. :D

TheSmokingGnu

Steven P. McNicoll
April 19th 07, 08:32 PM
"Dallas" > wrote in message

> CHAPTER 5 AIRCRAFT AND AIRPORTS
>
> SEC. 5-11. USE OF HYDROPLANES ON CITY PROPERTY.
> It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a hydroplane upon any
> reservoir or any lake belonging to under control of the city. (Ord. Nos.
> 8213; 14384)
>
> Presumably because they're Hydro "planes".

Well, it isn't uncommon for them to become airborne.

Paul Tomblin
April 19th 07, 08:39 PM
In a previous article, said:
>CHAPTER 5 AIRCRAFT AND AIRPORTS
>
>SEC. 5-11. USE OF HYDROPLANES ON CITY PROPERTY.
>It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a hydroplane upon any
>reservoir or any lake belonging to under control of the city. (Ord. Nos.
>8213; 14384)

I lived in Quebec and for years I'd heard of a "hydroplane dock" near
where I lived. And then one time I was canoeing on the river and realized
that people, even Anglos, were saying "hydroplane" when they meant "float
plane".

--
Paul Tomblin > http://blog.xcski.com/
The only complaint I have against WinDoze is that it doesn't always

Dallas
April 19th 07, 08:54 PM
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:39:52 +0000 (UTC), Paul Tomblin wrote:

> were saying "hydroplane" when they meant "float
> plane".

OMG. I believe you're right.
--
Dallas

April 19th 07, 09:05 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote:
> Dallas writes:

> > Presumably because they're Hydro "planes".

> I supposed that they are forbidden for reasons of safety, security, and
> hygiene. How many reservoirs and lakes are there in Dallas large enough to
> accommodate aircraft?

Right over your head...

A hydroplane is a boat so called because when at speed it "planes"
over the surface of the water.

A hydroplane "planes" on it's hull, a hydrofoil "planes" on big water
skis.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Larry Dighera
April 19th 07, 11:16 PM
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 20:05:03 GMT, wrote in
>:

>a hydrofoil "planes" on big water skis.

Ummm... Think again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrofoil
A hydrofoil is a boat with wing-like foils mounted on struts below
the hull. As the craft increases its speed the hydrofoils develop
enough lift for the boat to become foilborne - i.e. to raise the
hull up and out of the water. This results in a great reduction in
drag and a corresponding increase in speed.

A hydrofoil works much like an aircraft wing, but it works in a fluid
medium with a substantially different viscosity.

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 19th 07, 11:24 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Dallas writes:
>
>> Presumably because they're Hydro "planes".
>
> I supposed that they are forbidden for reasons of safety, security,
> and hygiene. How many reservoirs and lakes are there in Dallas large
> enough to accommodate aircraft?

Why, you can't fly anyway..

Bertie

April 19th 07, 11:41 PM
On Apr 19, 12:54 pm, Dallas > wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:39:52 +0000 (UTC), Paul Tomblin wrote:
> > were saying "hydroplane" when they meant "float
> > plane".
>
> OMG. I believe you're right.
> --
> Dallas

Look up the definition of hydroplane

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hydroplane

A number of authoritative sources say that hydroplane
may mean "seaplane", or more precisely,
"an airplane that can land on or take off from water".

Yes, there are other possible meanings of the word,
but using hydroplane to mean floatplane is hardly
incorrect .

Erik
April 19th 07, 11:45 PM
wrote:

> Yes, there are other possible meanings of the word,
> but using hydroplane to mean floatplane is hardly
> incorrect .

You know that you just proved MX correct.

April 20th 07, 12:02 AM
On Apr 19, 3:45 pm, Erik > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Yes, there are other possible meanings of the word,
> > but using hydroplane to mean floatplane is hardly
> > incorrect .
>
> You know that you just proved MX correct.

Actually, my theory is that every previous
time he's been right, someone has chimed to
cite authoritative references to back him
up. And it'll probably happen on all
future instances.

Not that my theory gets much
opportunity for practical testing...

Dallas
April 20th 07, 12:06 AM
On 19 Apr 2007 15:41:44 -0700, wrote:

> A number of authoritative sources say that hydroplane
> may mean "seaplane", or more precisely,

Go figure. :-/

.... Learn something everyday in this group .

--
Dallas

Dallas
April 20th 07, 12:08 AM
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 21:16:59 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

> How many reservoirs and lakes are there in Dallas large enough to
> accommodate aircraft?

All of them.

--
Dallas

Just go look it up!
April 20th 07, 12:20 AM
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:45:15 -0700, Erik >

>> Yes, there are other possible meanings of the word,
>> but using hydroplane to mean floatplane is hardly
>> incorrect .
>
>You know that you just proved MX correct.

Even a broken watch is right twice a day.

April 20th 07, 12:25 AM
Larry Dighera > wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 20:05:03 GMT, wrote in
> >:

> >a hydrofoil "planes" on big water skis.

> Ummm... Think again:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrofoil
> A hydrofoil is a boat with wing-like foils mounted on struts below
> the hull. As the craft increases its speed the hydrofoils develop
> enough lift for the boat to become foilborne - i.e. to raise the
> hull up and out of the water. This results in a great reduction in
> drag and a corresponding increase in speed.
>
> A hydrofoil works much like an aircraft wing, but it works in a fluid
> medium with a substantially different viscosity.

Yeah, I should know better.

In my defence I remember some boats from decades ago when I used to
be involved with such things that had big water skis that apparently
never worked out too well or they would still be around.

A senior momemt...

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

ManhattanMan
April 20th 07, 12:43 AM
Dallas wrote:
> On 19 Apr 2007 15:41:44 -0700, wrote:
>
>> A number of authoritative sources say that hydroplane
>> may mean "seaplane", or more precisely,
>
> Go figure. :-/
>
> ... Learn something everyday in this group .

UNLESS you're MX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morgans[_2_]
April 20th 07, 12:55 AM
"Erik" > wrote

> You know that you just proved MX correct.

Even blind squirrels find a nut, occasionally.
--
Jim in NC

Mxsmanic
April 20th 07, 01:40 AM
writes:

> A hydroplane is a boat so called because when at speed it "planes"
> over the surface of the water.

The word is also a synonym for a seaplane, and that was probably the
definition intended in the law.

Mxsmanic
April 20th 07, 01:41 AM
Paul Tomblin writes:

> I lived in Quebec and for years I'd heard of a "hydroplane dock" near
> where I lived. And then one time I was canoeing on the river and realized
> that people, even Anglos, were saying "hydroplane" when they meant "float
> plane".

Hydroplane is a synonym.

Mxsmanic
April 20th 07, 01:41 AM
Erik writes:

> You know that you just proved MX correct.

That takes courage.

muff528
April 20th 07, 01:43 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 19, 12:54 pm, Dallas > wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:39:52 +0000 (UTC), Paul Tomblin wrote:
>> > were saying "hydroplane" when they meant "float
>> > plane".
>>
>> OMG. I believe you're right.
>> --
>> Dallas
>

> Look up the definition of hydroplane
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hydroplane
>
> A number of authoritative sources say that hydroplane
> may mean "seaplane", or more precisely,
> "an airplane that can land on or take off from water".
>
> Yes, there are other possible meanings of the word,
> but using hydroplane to mean floatplane is hardly
> incorrect .

I guess the way the law is written it could be interpreted by
a law enforcement officer to suit either situation.
It would then be left up to a court to decide what the
intention or spirit of the law was when it was written.

Tony P.

Crash Lander[_1_]
April 20th 07, 01:50 AM
"Erik" > wrote in message
> wrote:
> You know that you just proved MX correct.

There's a first time for everything.
Crash Lander

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 20th 07, 03:25 AM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Paul Tomblin writes:
>
>> I lived in Quebec and for years I'd heard of a "hydroplane dock" near
>> where I lived. And then one time I was canoeing on the river and
>> realized that people, even Anglos, were saying "hydroplane" when they
>> meant "float plane".
>
> Hydroplane is a synonym.

No it isn't,. it's wrong, fjukktard.

Bertie

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 20th 07, 03:25 AM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Erik writes:
>
>> You know that you just proved MX correct.
>
> That takes courage.

No, it takes brain damage.

Bertie

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 20th 07, 03:26 AM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> writes:
>
>> A hydroplane is a boat so called because when at speed it "planes"
>> over the surface of the water.
>
> The word is also a synonym for a seaplane, and that was probably the
> definition intended in the law.

No, it isn't, fjukktard. It's a completely different type of
contraption.

You are a no nothing idiot.

Bertie

Jim Carter[_1_]
April 20th 07, 03:33 AM
Where do you get a Dallas City Ordinance Dictionary?

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
> wrote in message oups.com...
On Apr 19, 12:54 pm, Dallas > wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:39:52 +0000 (UTC), Paul Tomblin wrote:
> > were saying "hydroplane" when they meant "float
> > plane".
>
> OMG. I believe you're right.
> --
> Dallas

Look up the definition of hydroplane

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hydroplane

A number of authoritative sources say that hydroplane
may mean "seaplane", or more precisely,
"an airplane that can land on or take off from water".

Yes, there are other possible meanings of the word,
but using hydroplane to mean floatplane is hardly
incorrect .

Gig 601XL Builder
April 20th 07, 02:13 PM
Erik wrote:
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, there are other possible meanings of the word,
>> but using hydroplane to mean floatplane is hardly
>> incorrect .
>
> You know that you just proved MX correct.

Even a blind hog...

JGalban via AviationKB.com
April 20th 07, 11:01 PM
muff528 wrote:

>I guess the way the law is written it could be interpreted by
>a law enforcement officer to suit either situation.
>It would then be left up to a court to decide what the
>intention or spirit of the law was when it was written.

Well, I don't think there is much question about the intent, since the
regulation in question is under the "CHAPTER 5 AIRCRAFT AND AIRPORTS"
section. It's obvious that they weren't referring to the boat type of
hydroplane.

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe
April 20th 07, 11:20 PM
"Steven P. McNicoll" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Dallas" > wrote in message
>>
>> CHAPTER 5 AIRCRAFT AND AIRPORTS
>>
>> SEC. 5-11. USE OF HYDROPLANES ON CITY PROPERTY.
>> It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a hydroplane upon any
>> reservoir or any lake belonging to under control of the city. (Ord. Nos.
>> 8213; 14384)
>>
>> Presumably because they're Hydro "planes".
>>

> Well, it isn't uncommon for them to become airborne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFdV9pc64eQ

The unlimiteds were a lot more exciting when they ran the big piston
engines. They used to pass about 50 feet away from the main dock at the
Detroit Yacht Club - That was COOL!

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

muff528
April 20th 07, 11:58 PM
"JGalban via AviationKB.com" <u32749@uwe> wrote in message
> muff528 wrote:
>>
>>I guess the way the law is written it could be interpreted by
>>a law enforcement officer to suit either situation.
>>It would then be left up to a court to decide what the
>>intention or spirit of the law was when it was written.
>>

> Well, I don't think there is much question about the intent, since the
> regulation in question is under the "CHAPTER 5 AIRCRAFT AND AIRPORTS"
> section. It's obvious that they weren't referring to the boat type of
> hydroplane.
>
> John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)
>
> --

OOPS! ...didn't see the first line of the original post. :-p

CJ
April 21st 07, 12:16 AM
"Dallas" > wrote in message
.. .
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:39:52 +0000 (UTC), Paul Tomblin wrote:
>
>> were saying "hydroplane" when they meant "float
>> plane".
>
> OMG. I believe you're right.
> --
> Dallas

Here's the full text:

"It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a hydroplane upon any
reservoir or any lake belonging to under control of the city; provided
however, that this section shall not apply to amphibian-type aircraft of any
department of the federal government or of the State of Texas. (Ord. Nos.
8213; 14384)"

Here's the code:

http://www.amlegal.com/dallas_tx/

Oddly enough, the Code of Ordinances does not have a "Definitions" chapter.

-cj

Dallas
April 21st 07, 12:57 AM
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:16:02 -0700, CJ wrote:

> Oddly enough, the Code of Ordinances does not have a "Definitions" chapter.

It strikes me as odd that someone would go out of their way to use the
ambiguous word "hydroplane" while passing over simple, precise and
unambiguous terms like float plane and seaplane.

Maybe he was from Canada? :-)

--
Dallas

Jose
April 21st 07, 06:06 AM
> "It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a hydroplane upon any
> reservoir or any lake belonging to under control of the city; provided
> however, that this section shall not apply to amphibian-type aircraft of any
> department of the federal government or of the State of Texas. (Ord. Nos.
> 8213; 14384)"

It pointedly does not exempt any other amphibian-type aircraft.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.

Ron Natalie
April 21st 07, 12:48 PM
Larry Dighera wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 20:05:03 GMT, wrote in
> >:
>
>> a hydrofoil "planes" on big water skis.
>

> Ummm... Think again:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrofoil
> A hydrofoil is a boat with wing-like foils mounted on struts below
> the hull. As the craft increases its speed the hydrofoils develop
> enough lift for the boat to become foilborne - i.e. to raise the
> hull up and out of the water. This results in a great reduction in
> drag and a corresponding increase in speed.
>
> A hydrofoil works much like an aircraft wing, but it works in a fluid
> medium with a substantially different viscosity.

The viscosity is different, but an airplane wing also works in a fluid.
Maybe you meant liquid?

Larry Dighera
April 21st 07, 02:40 PM
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 07:48:31 -0400, Ron Natalie >
wrote in >:

>Larry Dighera wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 20:05:03 GMT, wrote in
>> >:
>>
>>> a hydrofoil "planes" on big water skis.
>>

>> Ummm... Think again:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrofoil
>> A hydrofoil is a boat with wing-like foils mounted on struts below
>> the hull. As the craft increases its speed the hydrofoils develop
>> enough lift for the boat to become foilborne - i.e. to raise the
>> hull up and out of the water. This results in a great reduction in
>> drag and a corresponding increase in speed.
>>
>> A hydrofoil works much like an aircraft wing, but it works in a fluid
>> medium with a substantially different viscosity.
>
>The viscosity is different, but an airplane wing also works in a fluid.
>Maybe you meant liquid?

I meant what I said, and I fail to infer the point you are attempting
to make. I chose the word 'fluid' specifically because it is the
correct term for both media.

Google