PDA

View Full Version : Gone West...

Jim Burns[_2_]
April 20th 07, 07:19 PM
Another of our favorite authors and mentors has gone west.
Robert Buck now walks along side Bill Kershner as together they watch over
us. Like Kershner, Buck's worldly wisdom will live on for the benefit of
generations of future pilots.
Jim

WEATHER PIONEER ROBERT N. BUCK DIES AT 93
Famed weather research pioneer and longtime AOPA Air Safety Foundation Board
of Visitors member Robert N. Buck died recently in Vermont. He was 93. Among
other accomplishments in his more than 70-year flying career, Buck literally
"wrote the book" on how general aviation pilots should cope with weather.
Read the biography from AOPA Pilot. "Almost every pilot has read or should
have read his 1970 classic 'Weather Flying,'" said Air Safety Foundation
Executive Director Bruce Landsberg. "And as a foundation Board of Visitors
member since 1991, Bob was not only a great personal friend, but an
inspiration for many of the foundation's current weather programs." Buck
laid the groundwork for much of what GA pilots know today about severe
weather. He pioneered research in the 1940s by flying through thunderstorms
and severe icing conditions in B-17s and a fortified P-61 Black Widow. That
work won him a Civilian Air Medal from President Harry S. Truman. Visit AOPA
Online to listen to a 90-second audio clip of Buck's first-hand description
of what it's like to fly through a thunderstorm.

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 20th 07, 11:58 PM
"Jim Burns" > wrote in
:

> Another of our favorite authors and mentors has gone west.
> Robert Buck now walks along side Bill Kershner as together they watch
> over us. Like Kershner, Buck's worldly wisdom will live on for the
> benefit of generations of future pilots.
> Jim
>

> WEATHER PIONEER ROBERT N. BUCK DIES AT 93
> Famed weather research pioneer and longtime AOPA Air Safety Foundation
> Board of Visitors member Robert N. Buck died recently in Vermont. He
> was 93. Among other accomplishments in his more than 70-year flying
> career, Buck literally "wrote the book" on how general aviation pilots
> should cope with weather. Read the biography from AOPA Pilot. "Almost
> every pilot has read or should have read his 1970 classic 'Weather
> Flying,'" said Air Safety Foundation Executive Director Bruce
> Landsberg. "And as a foundation Board of Visitors member since 1991,
> Bob was not only a great personal friend, but an inspiration for many
> of the foundation's current weather programs." Buck laid the
> groundwork for much of what GA pilots know today about severe weather.
> He pioneered research in the 1940s by flying through thunderstorms and
> severe icing conditions in B-17s and a fortified P-61 Black Widow.
> That work won him a Civilian Air Medal from President Harry S. Truman.
> Visit AOPA Online to listen to a 90-second audio clip of Buck's
> first-hand description of what it's like to fly through a
> thunderstorm.

Went to an airline sponsored lecture of his a looong time ago. Best
lecture I ever attended.. Everything you needed to know about CB, radar.
Never forgot any of it.. ( I hope)

Bertie

Kev
April 21st 07, 01:39 AM
On Apr 20, 2:19 pm, "Jim Burns" > wrote:
> Another of our favorite authors and mentors has gone west.
> Robert Buck now walks along side Bill Kershner as together they watch over

Oh man. I learned so much from him. After studying his books, you
could learn to predict flying weather for days in advance. He's
amazing! I hope everyone has read his books, or will.

Adios, Mr Buck! And many thanks.

Kev

Google