PDA

View Full Version : Voyager Flight Software System

Bravo Two Zero
April 22nd 07, 07:24 PM
Is anyone using the Voyager Flight Software System ? I have downloaded the
'Free Flight' version and now I keep getting all these emails to buy the
full product.

My usage of Voyager so far has been limited and I have to say that both on
my desktop and laptop, it either fails to start, or is very slow.

Any comments ?

B2Z

Matt Barrow[_4_]
April 22nd 07, 08:37 PM
"Bravo Two Zero" > wrote in message
> Is anyone using the Voyager Flight Software System ? I have downloaded
> the 'Free Flight' version and now I keep getting all these emails to buy
> the full product.
>

> My usage of Voyager so far has been limited and I have to say that both on
> my desktop and laptop, it either fails to start, or is very slow.
>

> Any comments ?

Your observations coincide with many other peoples, myself included.

Bad design or bad execution, I can't say, but Voyager can bring a fast and
well memoried system to it's knees.

April 22nd 07, 10:52 PM
On Apr 22, 12:24 pm, "Bravo Two Zero" > wrote:
> Is anyone using the Voyager Flight Software System ? I have downloaded the
> 'Free Flight' version and now I keep getting all these emails to buy the
> full product.
>
> My usage of Voyager so far has been limited and I have to say that both on
> my desktop and laptop, it either fails to start, or is very slow.
>
> Any comments ?
>
> B2Z

Hey, give AirPlan a try. It runs quite fast, and won't bog down your
machine, plus it is only $10 to register it:
http://www.razorsedgesoft.com/airplan.htm

Travis Marlatte
April 23rd 07, 03:40 AM
I tried it last summer so my observation may be dated (but I doubt it). Good
features but very slow, poorly written software.

--
-------------------------------
Travis
"Bravo Two Zero" > wrote in message
> Is anyone using the Voyager Flight Software System ? I have downloaded
> the 'Free Flight' version and now I keep getting all these emails to buy
> the full product.
>

> My usage of Voyager so far has been limited and I have to say that both on
> my desktop and laptop, it either fails to start, or is very slow.
>

> Any comments ?
>
> B2Z

Bravo Two Zero
April 23rd 07, 06:45 AM
I agree, some features are good but my system well exceeds the listed system
requirements on theie website and performace sucks. What really is putting
me off purchasing it ( even the $99 'express' version ) is it's lack of
error handling. I would say on average that it fails to start probably 2
out of every three attempts. In the planning wizard, it exited the program
without warning while I was trying to plot a simple route using two airports
and a number of fixes. It actuallt did this 3 times on the same route.

Screen refresh is terrible.

B2Z

"Travis Marlatte" > wrote in message
t...
>I tried it last summer so my observation may be dated (but I doubt it).
>Good features but very slow, poorly written software.
>
> --
> -------------------------------
> Travis
> Lake N3094P
> PWK
> "Bravo Two Zero" > wrote in message
>> Is anyone using the Voyager Flight Software System ? I have downloaded
>> the 'Free Flight' version and now I keep getting all these emails to buy
>> the full product.
>>

>> My usage of Voyager so far has been limited and I have to say that both
>> on my desktop and laptop, it either fails to start, or is very slow.
>>

>> Any comments ?
>>
>> B2Z

Morgans[_2_]
April 23rd 07, 07:13 AM
"Bravo Two Zero" <> wrote

> requirements on theie website and performace sucks. What really is
> putting me off purchasing it ( even the $99 'express' version ) is it's
> lack of error handling. I would say on average that it fails to start
> probably 2 out of every three attempts. In the planning wizard, it exited
> the program without warning while I was trying to plot a simple route
> using two airports and a number of fixes. It actuallt did this 3 times on
> the same route.

It sounds like the decision to purchase it should be a no-brainer, shouldn't
it?

There are too many other good programs out there, that actually work.
--
Jim in NC

Viperdoc[_4_]
April 23rd 07, 12:55 PM
I had the same initial problems, but now run it continuously on three
different computers. It is slow due to the limitations of the downloads, but
the screen re-writes are also slow.

It is great for filing flight plans, and the airplane modeling is also well
developed. Overall, it is well thought out and does the job. It is clearly
superior to Jeppesen's product, although I have both.

Except for the slowness, all of the other features like the flight plan,
terrain mapping, alerts, TFR's, etc, are very contemporary. My copies do not
lock up or crash, and I suspect that this is due to their online service
that downloads updates and fixes bugs automatically. I leave it running all
the time, so I can take a glance at the radar (when I wish I could be
flying). It has never locked up, and this has been for weeks at a time.

I use it extensively, and as I learn more about it, I find myself looking at
ADDS and the Jepp software less and less.

Doug Vetter
April 23rd 07, 01:04 PM
Bravo Two Zero wrote:
> Is anyone using the Voyager Flight Software System ? I have downloaded the
> 'Free Flight' version and now I keep getting all these emails to buy the
> full product.
>
> My usage of Voyager so far has been limited and I have to say that both on
> my desktop and laptop, it either fails to start, or is very slow.
>
> Any comments ?

Some comments from a pilot of 20 years and embedded systems developer:

My review may be dated, but I evaluated the Voyager product suite about
six months ago and I was left with the impression that it was all about
flash and features, and little about performance and reliability. The
primary problem with the Voyager suite is that it tries to be everything
to everyone and it suffers from feature bloat.

I ran it on a top-of-the-line desktop machine and was never impressed
with its speed. I can only imagine how slow it would be on a tablet in
battery conservation mode.

I sent the company an extensive review of the product and gave them a
lot of constructive criticism (not just "hey, this sucks", but "here's
how I would fix it" and "this is what I need it to do"). To their
credit I received a point-by-point response, but they didn't promise to
fix anything.

And yea, they keep spamming me too.

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------

Matt Barrow[_4_]
April 23rd 07, 03:50 PM
"Doug Vetter" > wrote in message
> I sent the company an extensive review of the product and gave them a lot
> of constructive criticism (not just "hey, this sucks", but "here's how I
> would fix it" and "this is what I need it to do"). To their credit I
> received a point-by-point response, but they didn't promise to fix
> anything.
>
> And yea, they keep spamming me too.

Exactly my experiece from about two years ago...right down to the spamming
part.

--
Matt Barrow
Performace Homes, LLC.

Marco Leon
April 23rd 07, 07:10 PM
I posted a review a little while back that should be found with a Google
search.

In short, I had the same system performance issues as everyone else. One
other thing that was really bad was the usability of the printed maps in the
trip packs. Very cluttered and it didn't even have the waypoint names in a
legible format. That made that maps useless other than to see the basic
shape of your flight path.

After spending $150 just for the software, they required another $99 for an
upgrade to the newer version. Ridiculous.

I went with the Jeppesen Internet Flight Planner which is cheap for ~$115 a
year. Dean's flight planner as well as Golden Eagle's basic planner are
worth looking into as well.

Marco

"Matt Barrow" > wrote in message

> "Doug Vetter" > wrote in message
>> I sent the company an extensive review of the product and gave them a lot
>> of constructive criticism (not just "hey, this sucks", but "here's how I
>> would fix it" and "this is what I need it to do"). To their credit I
>> received a point-by-point response, but they didn't promise to fix
>> anything.
>>
>> And yea, they keep spamming me too.
>>

> Exactly my experiece from about two years ago...right down to the spamming
> part.
>
> --
> Matt Barrow
> Performace Homes, LLC.
> Colorado Springs, CO

Chris G.
April 23rd 07, 08:12 PM
I would agree with this evaluation. I also own the product and have all
of the features, except the moving map (forget what it's called). The
screen redraw is slow and that is frustrating for me. I do, however,
use it to check weather a lot.

I do wish they would dump their current maps for digitized sectionals
and whatnot. I know that is the direction they're going.

It was also the #1 rated flight planning product by Aviation Consumer a
few months ago.

YMMV,

Chris G., PP-ASEL
Salem, Oregon

Viperdoc wrote:
> I had the same initial problems, but now run it continuously on three
> different computers. It is slow due to the limitations of the downloads, but
> the screen re-writes are also slow.
>
> It is great for filing flight plans, and the airplane modeling is also well
> developed. Overall, it is well thought out and does the job. It is clearly
> superior to Jeppesen's product, although I have both.
>
> Except for the slowness, all of the other features like the flight plan,
> terrain mapping, alerts, TFR's, etc, are very contemporary. My copies do not
> lock up or crash, and I suspect that this is due to their online service
> that downloads updates and fixes bugs automatically. I leave it running all
> the time, so I can take a glance at the radar (when I wish I could be
> flying). It has never locked up, and this has been for weeks at a time.
>
> I use it extensively, and as I learn more about it, I find myself looking at
> ADDS and the Jepp software less and less.

Google