PDA

View Full Version : Planes named after birds

April 23rd 07, 09:25 PM
Hello All,

Are there any planes named after birds?

Thanks in advance.

Orval Fairbairn
April 23rd 07, 09:47 PM
In article . com>,
wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Are there any planes named after birds?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Lots of them:

Cessna Skyhawk; Douglas A-4 Skyhawk; Christen Eagle; Curtiss: Kittyhawk,
Hawk, Warhawk, Falcon, Shrike; Grumman: Duck, Goose, Mallard, Albatross,
Widgeon; DeHavilland: Dove, Heron; Aero Commander: Shrike, to name a few.

Gig 601XL Builder
April 23rd 07, 09:48 PM
wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Are there any planes named after birds?
>
> Thanks in advance.

The F-16 Falcon, F-15 Eagle come to mind.

April 23rd 07, 10:05 PM
wrote:
> Hello All,

> Are there any planes named after birds?

> Thanks in advance.

You mean like Widgeon, Albatross, Sky Hawk, Lark?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Jim Logajan
April 23rd 07, 10:07 PM
wrote:
> Are there any planes named after birds?

Lots.

Some aircraft named after birds:
Osprey
Hummingbird
Shrike
Albatross
Hawk
Falcon
Goshawk
Robin
Condor
Nightingale
Raven

Some aircraft named after bugs:
Grasshopper
Mosquito
Hornet
Wasp
Moth
Black Widow

Some aircraft named after plants:
?

Some aircraft named after aquatic animals:
Dolphin
Stingray

Some aircraft named after land animals:
Camel
Buffalo
Caribou
Moose
Snake
Bobcat
Cobra
Bearcat
Mustang
Cougar

Don Tuite
April 23rd 07, 10:49 PM
No one's mentioned the Globe Swift yet.

Cessna made the 175 Skylark.

Piper made the Flying Milkstool -- no wait, that's not a bird.

Should be lots of avian-named homebuilts.

Don

muff528
April 24th 07, 12:12 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello All,
>
> Are there any planes named after birds?
>
> Thanks in advance.

My favorite....."Gooney Bird" although I think this
was not the "official name" :-)

April 24th 07, 12:15 AM
On Apr 23, 1:25 pm, wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Are there any planes named after birds?
>
> Thanks in advance.

AV-8B Harrier, in addition to all the others that have already been
named.

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe
April 24th 07, 02:02 AM
> On Apr 23, 1:25 pm, wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Are there any planes named after birds?

A better question would be "Is there a bird that doesn't have an airplane
named after it?"

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

BT
April 24th 07, 02:06 AM
Kestrel

"Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
> In article . com>,
> wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Are there any planes named after birds?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> Lots of them:
>
> Cessna Skyhawk; Douglas A-4 Skyhawk; Christen Eagle; Curtiss: Kittyhawk,
> Hawk, Warhawk, Falcon, Shrike; Grumman: Duck, Goose, Mallard, Albatross,
> Widgeon; DeHavilland: Dove, Heron; Aero Commander: Shrike, to name a few.

BDS
April 24th 07, 02:09 AM
"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" <The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com> wrote

> A better question would be "Is there a bird that doesn't have an airplane
> named after it?"

Ostrich

Bruce

BDS
April 24th 07, 02:10 AM
"BT" > wrote...

> Kestrel

I know it's not what the OP had in mind but there was a hang glider named
Kestrel at one time.

BDS

Jose
April 24th 07, 02:16 AM
> A better question would be "Is there a bird that doesn't have an airplane
> named after it?"

Dodo.
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe
April 24th 07, 02:32 AM
"BDS" > wrote in message

> "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" <The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com> wrote
>>
>> A better question would be "Is there a bird that doesn't have an
>> airplane
>> named after it?"
>
> Ostrich
>
> Bruce

Not "full scale" but...

http://web.umr.edu/~aavg/projects.html#2006

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

BDS
April 24th 07, 02:35 AM
"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" <The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com> wrote

> Not "full scale" but...
>
> http://web.umr.edu/~aavg/projects.html#2006

OK, so much for that guess! I stand corrected.

BDS

muff528
April 24th 07, 02:44 AM
"Jose" > wrote in message
t...
>> A better question would be "Is there a bird that doesn't have an
>> airplane named after it?"
>
> Dodo.
> --

Re: "Ostrich" and "Dodo"...........probably not a very good marketing
move for a manufacurer to name their airplanes after flightless birds.

Kevin Clarke
April 24th 07, 02:48 AM
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
>> On Apr 23, 1:25 pm, wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> Are there any planes named after birds?
>>>

> A better question would be "Is there a bird that doesn't have an airplane
> named after it?"

Flip the ...

Crash Lander[_1_]
April 24th 07, 03:37 AM
Jabiru
Crash Lander

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello All,
>
> Are there any planes named after birds?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Morgans[_2_]
April 24th 07, 04:01 AM
"muff528" > wrote

> Re: "Ostrich" and "Dodo"...........probably not a very good marketing
> move for a manufacurer to name their airplanes after flightless birds.

Oh, I don't know; Gooney Bird did alright for itself!
--
Jim in NC

muff528
April 24th 07, 04:09 AM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "muff528" > wrote
>
>> Re: "Ostrich" and "Dodo"...........probably not a very good marketing
>> move for a manufacurer to name their airplanes after flightless birds.
>
> Oh, I don't know; Gooney Bird did alright for itself!
> --
> Jim in NC

I thought a gooney bird was an albatross!?!

Mxsmanic
April 24th 07, 04:21 AM
Orval Fairbairn writes:

> Lots of them:
>
> Cessna Skyhawk; Douglas A-4 Skyhawk; Christen Eagle; Curtiss: Kittyhawk,
> Hawk, Warhawk, Falcon, Shrike; Grumman: Duck, Goose, Mallard, Albatross,
> Widgeon; DeHavilland: Dove, Heron; Aero Commander: Shrike, to name a few.

Better birds than royalty (Duchess, Baron, etc.).

Don Tuite
April 24th 07, 05:04 AM
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 03:09:55 GMT, "muff528" >
wrote:

>"Morgans" > wrote in message
>>
>> "muff528" > wrote
>>
>>> Re: "Ostrich" and "Dodo"...........probably not a very good marketing
>>> move for a manufacurer to name their airplanes after flightless birds.
>>
>> Oh, I don't know; Gooney Bird did alright for itself!
>> --
>> Jim in NC
>>

>I thought a gooney bird was an albatross!?!

Some albarross landings have been featured in Disney nature films.

But the one we seem to be skating around is the Booby.

Don

Maxwell
April 24th 07, 05:15 AM
"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" <The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com> wrote in message
>> On Apr 23, 1:25 pm, wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> Are there any planes named after birds?
>>>

> A better question would be "Is there a bird that doesn't have an airplane
> named after it?"

Sissortail?

C J Campbell[_1_]
April 24th 07, 08:07 AM
On 2007-04-23 19:44:38 -0600, "muff528" > said:

> "Jose" > wrote in message
> t...
>>> A better question would be "Is there a bird that doesn't have an
>>> airplane named after it?"
>>
>> Dodo.
>> --
>
> Re: "Ostrich" and "Dodo"...........probably not a very good marketing
> move for a manufacurer to name their airplanes after flightless birds.

Maybe not, but there is a Kiwi Airline.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

C J Campbell[_1_]
April 24th 07, 08:09 AM
On 2007-04-23 19:16:56 -0600, Jose > said:

>> A better question would be "Is there a bird that doesn't have an
>> airplane named after it?"
>
> Dodo.

Woodpecker.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

BDS
April 24th 07, 10:58 AM
"Nomen Nescio" > wrote

> Clark's Nutcracker

Wait, I thought I saw an airplane at SnF named that, or maybe it was just
the 5-point harness.

BDS

muff528
April 24th 07, 11:54 AM
"Don Tuite" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 03:09:55 GMT, "muff528" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Morgans" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "muff528" > wrote

>>> Oh, I don't know; Gooney Bird did alright for itself!
>>> --
>>> Jim in NC
>>>

>>I thought a gooney bird was an albatross!?!
>>
> Some albarross landings have been featured in Disney nature films.
>
> But the one we seem to be skating around is the Booby.
>
> Don

Booby is a different species than a gooney bird but they are both
flying sea birds.. Of course "Gooney Bird" is the nickname for
DC3/C-47 but maybe the Grumman Albatross would be better
named the "Booby" :-))
see--
http://www.richard-seaman.com/Wallpaper/Aircraft/Naval/GrummanAlbatross.jpg

B A R R Y[_2_]
April 24th 07, 12:12 PM
Jose wrote:
>> A better question would be "Is there a bird that doesn't have an
>> airplane named after it?"
>
> Dodo.

Turkey or Chicken? <G>

Ron Natalie
April 24th 07, 01:04 PM
Jim Logajan wrote:
> wrote:
>> Are there any planes named after birds?
>
> Lots.
>
> Some aircraft named after birds:

Lark (or is that named after a cigarette...show us your Lark pack!)

> Some aircraft named after plants:
> ?
Spruce goose (of course, that's not it's real name)

> Some aircraft named after land animals:

Cub! You forgot the cub?

April 24th 07, 03:59 PM
Here's some trivia...(named after a bird)
The Royal Navy's first monoplane divebomber:

The SKUA

Jim Logajan
April 24th 07, 06:40 PM
Ron Natalie > wrote:
> Jim Logajan wrote:
>> Some aircraft named after birds:
>
> Lark (or is that named after a cigarette...show us your Lark pack!)

Sounds like an ad campaign before my time. :-)

>> Some aircraft named after plants:
>> ?
> Spruce goose (of course, that's not it's real name)

Hmmm. I considered that but wasn't sure whether it would fly - I guess my
thinking was rather wooden. Ahem.

>> Some aircraft named after land animals:
>
> Cub! You forgot the cub?

I forgot or overlooked a lot! But I think "cub" is perhaps a little too
broad since it can mean "the young of certain carnivorous mammals such as
the bear or wolf or lion":

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=cub

By the way, I used this site as one source (very handy):

http://marchairmuseum.com/rouen01.php
"This list of 2892 airplane names (on ten pages) was compiled by Ed Rouen,
who for many years was the chief cataloger of the library at the San Diego
Aerospace Museum."

A Guy Called Tyketto
April 24th 07, 06:43 PM

Erik
April 24th 07, 08:26 PM
Jim Logajan wrote:
> Hmmm. I considered that but wasn't sure whether it would fly - I guess my
> thinking was rather wooden. Ahem.

Didn't it fly for about 120' or something?

Jim Logajan
April 24th 07, 08:48 PM
Erik > wrote:
> Jim Logajan wrote:
>> Hmmm. I considered that but wasn't sure whether it would fly - I
>> guess my thinking was rather wooden. Ahem.
>

> Didn't it fly for about 120' or something?

It actually flew for over a mile. Hughes kept the plane maintained at
"flight ready" status for over 33 years - at a cost of about one million
dollars a year:

http://www.sprucegoose.org/aircraft_artifacts/exhibits.html

I've been to the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville Oregon and have,
like many visitors, been able to walk around inside the Spruce Goose (or at
least a small part of it). The Evergreen museum is nice in that they have
both the fastest plane there (the Blackbird - and at the time I visited
they had a similarly designed drone vehicle) and the largest (Spruce
Goose). I'd recommend it for anyone visiting Oregon.

Oh yeah - the thing I didn't think would "fly" was my inclusion of the
Spruce Goose under "Planes named after plants". The plane obviously flew
fine. :-)

Gig 601XL Builder
April 24th 07, 09:03 PM
Jim Logajan wrote:

> It actually flew for over a mile. Hughes kept the plane maintained at
> "flight ready" status for over 33 years - at a cost of about one
> million dollars a year:

Now that is an expensive annual.

Morgans[_2_]
April 24th 07, 09:20 PM
"Jim Logajan" <> wrote

> Oh yeah - the thing I didn't think would "fly" was my inclusion of the
> Spruce Goose under "Planes named after plants". The plane obviously flew
> fine. :-)

I'm not so sure that the Spruce Goose did fly fine. With that large of a
wingspan, on the only flight that it ever did, it never left ground effect.
I have theorized that Hughes knew that he did not have enough reserve lift
to leave ground effect, and so never flew it again.

I realize that there were a lot of "situations" around his attitude about
the plane and the government's attitude about the plane, but I still would
think that he would have flown it again, in a real flight test, if it had
performed as he had hoped.
--
Jim in NC

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe
April 24th 07, 10:36 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message
> On 2007-04-23 19:16:56 -0600, Jose > said:
>
>>> A better question would be "Is there a bird that doesn't have an
>>> airplane named after it?"
>>
>> Dodo.
>
> Woodpecker.
> --
> Waddling Eagle
> World Famous Flight Instructor

http://www.akaflieg.vo.tum.de/Englisch/Html/History_E.html

In 1951, the Mü10 'Milan' was re-activated from the German Museum in Munich
where the glider had survived the war. Three gliders - a Mü13 reproduction,
the "Spatz" (sparrow) and the "Specht" (woodpecker) - were acquired, later a
Klemm tow plane was added.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Phil
April 25th 07, 12:46 AM
On Apr 24, 6:12 am, B A R R Y > wrote:
> Jose wrote:
> >> A better question would be "Is there a bird that doesn't have an
> >> airplane named after it?"
>
> > Dodo.
>
> Turkey or Chicken? <G>

Vulture. Although there is an ultralight called the L'il Buzzard.

Chris
April 25th 07, 12:56 AM
more after birds:

Harrier
Vampire (well it flies)
Seagull
Swift
Dove
Heron
Blackbird

Bugs

Gnat (Foland)
Scorpion

Fish

Swordfish (Fairey)

Land Sea & Animals

Vixen
Hind
Walrus
Sea otter
Seal
Beaver
Buffalo
Caribou
Chipmunk
Flamingo

Weather Phenomenon

Tempest
Typhoon
Hurricane
Thunderbolt

"Jim Logajan" > wrote in message
.. .
> wrote:
>> Are there any planes named after birds?
>
> Lots.
>
> Some aircraft named after birds:
> Osprey
> Hummingbird
> Shrike
> Albatross
> Hawk
> Falcon
> Goshawk
> Robin
> Condor
> Nightingale
> Raven
>
> Some aircraft named after bugs:
> Grasshopper
> Mosquito
> Hornet
> Wasp
> Moth
> Black Widow
>
> Some aircraft named after plants:
> ?
>
> Some aircraft named after aquatic animals:
> Dolphin
> Stingray
>
> Some aircraft named after land animals:
> Camel
> Buffalo
> Caribou
> Moose
> Snake
> Bobcat
> Cobra
> Bearcat
> Mustang
> Cougar

C J Campbell[_1_]
April 25th 07, 01:02 AM
On 2007-04-24 14:36:02 -0700, "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" <The Sea Hawk at
wow way d0t com> said:

> "C J Campbell" > wrote in message

>>> Dodo.
>>
>> Woodpecker.
>> --
>> Waddling Eagle
>> World Famous Flight Instructor
>>

> http://www.akaflieg.vo.tum.de/Englisch/Html/History_E.html
>
> In 1951, the Mü10 'Milan' was re-activated from the German Museum in Munich
> where the glider had survived the war. Three gliders - a Mü13 reproduction,
> the "Spatz" (sparrow) and the "Specht" (woodpecker) - were acquired, later a
> Klemm tow plane was added.
>
> --
> Geoff
> The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com
> remove spaces and make the obvious substitutions to reply by mail
> When immigration is outlawed, only outlaws will immigrate.

Hahahaha. They named a plane after a woodpecker. That somehow just
tickles my funny bone.

Okay, did they ever name an aircraft after the archaeopteryx?
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe
April 25th 07, 02:32 AM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message
<...>
> Hahahaha. They named a plane after a woodpecker. That somehow just tickles
> my funny bone.
>
> Okay, did they ever name an aircraft after the archaeopteryx?
> --
> Waddling Eagle
> World Famous Flight Instructor

I'm guessing you can be the first...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

muff528
April 25th 07, 03:36 AM

> Okay, did they ever name an aircraft after the archaeopteryx?
> --
> Waddling Eagle
> World Famous Flight Instructor

There is/was a skydiving canopy called the Paradactyl
and a lifting body called Dyna-Soar. Oh yeah, don't
forget the Raptor.

TP

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 25th 07, 04:41 AM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Orval Fairbairn writes:
>
>> Lots of them:
>>
>> Cessna Skyhawk; Douglas A-4 Skyhawk; Christen Eagle; Curtiss:
>> Kittyhawk, Hawk, Warhawk, Falcon, Shrike; Grumman: Duck, Goose,
>> Mallard, Albatross, Widgeon; DeHavilland: Dove, Heron; Aero
>> Commander: Shrike, to name a few.
>
> Better birds than royalty (Duchess, Baron, etc.).

Or they could name one after you, turkey.

Bertie

C J Campbell[_1_]
April 25th 07, 07:12 AM
On 2007-04-24 19:36:05 -0700, "muff528" > said:

>> Okay, did they ever name an aircraft after the archaeopteryx?
>> --
>> Waddling Eagle
>> World Famous Flight Instructor
>>

> There is/was a skydiving canopy called the Paradactyl
> and a lifting body called Dyna-Soar. Oh yeah, don't
> forget the Raptor.
>
> TP

Archaeopteryx technically was not a dinosaur (but then, it wasn't a
bird, either). Then again, if you want to get into flying creatures
other than birds, there is always the Foxbat (really only a NATO
designation, not the airplane's actual name).
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Google