PDA

View Full Version : (OT) MS Simmers

Dan544
April 28th 07, 02:45 AM
I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a negative
look at simmers.

I have always loved aviation. For me, because of physical limitations and
age, I will never be able to fly a real airplane alone.

I understand that it will never compare to rt experiences, and I also
understand that idiots like mxmaniac do not represent us simmers. It is a
game, but it does give us some little feel about flying.

I have a friend who flies for Continental on 737's from Newark,, He is
impressed with simming and says it is a good way to learn the basics, but
not a substitute for RT.

I enjoy listening and learning from you folks and I know we might post
stupid questions at times. Maybe we are jealous of you. I am. So please bear
with the ignorance.

Dan

Mxsmanic
April 28th 07, 03:03 AM
Dan544 writes:

> I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a negative
> look at simmers.

I think some pilots are more interested in aviation as a means to impress
others than as an end in itself. Such pilots are irritated by anyone who
seems to be trespassing on their turf. Pilots who are interested in aviation
for its own sake logically would not be bothered.

> I understand that it will never compare to rt experiences, and I also
> understand that idiots like mxmaniac do not represent us simmers.

Is an idiot anything like a cripple?

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe
April 28th 07, 03:12 AM
"Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in message
>I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a
>negative look at simmers.

Who would you be referring to?

> I have always loved aviation. For me, because of physical limitations and
> age, I will never be able to fly a real airplane alone.

Sorry to hear that.
..
<...>

> I enjoy listening and learning from you folks and I know we might post
> stupid questions at times.

Fire away...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

April 28th 07, 03:15 AM
Dan544 <dan544p@hotmail> wrote:
> I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a negative
> look at simmers.

> I have always loved aviation. For me, because of physical limitations and
> age, I will never be able to fly a real airplane alone.

> I understand that it will never compare to rt experiences, and I also
> understand that idiots like mxmaniac do not represent us simmers. It is a
> game, but it does give us some little feel about flying.

> I have a friend who flies for Continental on 737's from Newark,, He is
> impressed with simming and says it is a good way to learn the basics, but
> not a substitute for RT.

> I enjoy listening and learning from you folks and I know we might post
> stupid questions at times. Maybe we are jealous of you. I am. So please bear
> with the ignorance.

As long as you don't argue with every answer you get, you should have
few problems.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

April 28th 07, 03:15 AM
Mxsmanic > wrote:
> Dan544 writes:

> > I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a negative
> > look at simmers.

> I think some pilots are more interested in aviation as a means to impress
> others than as an end in itself. Such pilots are irritated by anyone who
> seems to be trespassing on their turf. Pilots who are interested in aviation
> for its own sake logically would not be bothered.

> > I understand that it will never compare to rt experiences, and I also
> > understand that idiots like mxmaniac do not represent us simmers.

> Is an idiot anything like a cripple?

Yes, it is a mental cripple.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Dan Luke
April 28th 07, 03:25 AM
"Dan544" wrote:

>I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a negative
>look at simmers.

Nothing wrong with simmers, per se.

[snip]

> I enjoy listening and learning from you folks and I know we might post
> stupid questions at times. Maybe we are jealous of you. I am. So please bear
> with the ignorance.

You don't have to fly real airplanes to post here. Anyone with a genuine
interest in flying is welcome.

It's boneheads, trolls and blowhards that get the bum's rush.

So, go ahead; ask away.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Dudley Henriques[_2_]
April 28th 07, 03:47 AM
"Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in message
>I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a
>negative look at simmers.
>
> I have always loved aviation. For me, because of physical limitations and
> age, I will never be able to fly a real airplane alone.
>
> I understand that it will never compare to rt experiences, and I also
> understand that idiots like mxmaniac do not represent us simmers. It is a
> game, but it does give us some little feel about flying.
>
> I have a friend who flies for Continental on 737's from Newark,, He is
> impressed with simming and says it is a good way to learn the basics, but
> not a substitute for RT.
>

> I enjoy listening and learning from you folks and I know we might post
> stupid questions at times. Maybe we are jealous of you. I am. So please
> bear with the ignorance.
>
> Dan

Although there might always be some people in any community as specialized
as a real world aviation newsgroup who might not interface well with the
flight simulator community, those who don't interact well are in the
minority by FAR.
On the other hand there are literally hundreds of pilots and aviation
enthusiasts out here from all over the world who not only interact well with
the sim community, but enjoy using the simulator themselves. Some, like
myself, even devote copious amounts of time working not only with those who
use the simulator, but also with Microsoft and developers doing design work
in the simulator program itself.
Please feel free to post here at any time you wish to interact and/or ask a
real world aviation question. If that question is presented properly, I'm
sure you will find the real world pilots who frequent these groups to be
friendly and responsive.
I believe that any simulator pilot posting to an actual aviation newsgroup
who approaches real life pilots in a pleasant and respectful manner will
have no problems along the lines you have indicated.
Dudley Henriques
Retired Professional Pilot
MVP Microsoft Flight Simulator

Dan544
April 28th 07, 04:09 AM
"Dudley Henriques" > wrote in message

> "Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in message
>>I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a
>>negative look at simmers.
>>
>> I have always loved aviation. For me, because of physical limitations and
>> age, I will never be able to fly a real airplane alone.
>>
>> I understand that it will never compare to rt experiences, and I also
>> understand that idiots like mxmaniac do not represent us simmers. It is a
>> game, but it does give us some little feel about flying.
>>
>> I have a friend who flies for Continental on 737's from Newark,, He is
>> impressed with simming and says it is a good way to learn the basics, but
>> not a substitute for RT.
>>

>> I enjoy listening and learning from you folks and I know we might post
>> stupid questions at times. Maybe we are jealous of you. I am. So please
>> bear with the ignorance.
>>
>> Dan
>
> Although there might always be some people in any community as specialized
> as a real world aviation newsgroup who might not interface well with the
> flight simulator community, those who don't interact well are in the
> minority by FAR.
> On the other hand there are literally hundreds of pilots and aviation
> enthusiasts out here from all over the world who not only interact well
> with the sim community, but enjoy using the simulator themselves. Some,
> like myself, even devote copious amounts of time working not only with
> those who use the simulator, but also with Microsoft and developers doing
> design work in the simulator program itself.
> Please feel free to post here at any time you wish to interact and/or ask
> a real world aviation question. If that question is presented properly,
> I'm sure you will find the real world pilots who frequent these groups to
> be friendly and responsive.
> I believe that any simulator pilot posting to an actual aviation newsgroup
> who approaches real life pilots in a pleasant and respectful manner will
> have no problems along the lines you have indicated.
> Dudley Henriques
> Retired Professional Pilot
> MVP Microsoft Flight Simulator

Dudley.. Have seen you many times in the other NG.

I promise you folks with the little knowledge I have, I will not question
you.. Just here for the learning experience.

Dan

Dan544
April 28th 07, 04:23 AM
"Mxsmanic" > wrote in message
> Dan544 writes:
>

> I think some pilots are more interested in aviation as a means to impress
> others than as an end in itself. Such pilots are irritated by anyone who
> seems to be trespassing on their turf. Pilots who are interested in
> aviation
> for its own sake logically would not be bothered.

Mx I am not getting into a battle with you in this room . I am here to
learn a little bit. I think as you grow older, impressing other people is
not the most inportant thing in life. Why dont you stop trying to impress
people with your intellect.

We all have dreams and sometimes we cant acheive them for many reasons. You
have dreams and for whatever reasons you miss your goals you need to blame
it on others.

I think you are a very intelligent man Mx. It is a shame that you turn so
many people off.. You have many good arguments, but the presentation leaves
a lot to be desired.

> Is an idiot anything like a cripple?

Sorry.. It is not my style to charactarize anyone like that..

My last post on this. Have a good day.

Dan

Mxsmanic
April 28th 07, 04:47 AM
Dan544 writes:

> > Is an idiot anything like a cripple?
>
> Sorry.. It is not my style to charactarize anyone like that..

You said "idiots like mxmaniac." I was wondering if you ridicule people in
other equally cruel and thoughtless ways as well. You know, people who have,
say, physical limitations, or age.

Dudley Henriques[_2_]
April 28th 07, 04:54 AM
"Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in message

> Dudley.. Have seen you many times in the other NG.
>
> I promise you folks with the little knowledge I have, I will not question
> you.. Just here for the learning experience.
>
> Dan

You are more than welcome as far as I'm concerned, and from what you are
saying, I'm sure other pilots here will feel the same way.
Think out your questions as completely as you can ; be as explicit as you
can, and post here. I don't see any problem at all for you on this group. In
fact, for the most part, I think you will find these pilots on the whole to
be a very nice bunch of people eager to see you enjoy the simulator.
Contrary to what you might think, most pilots thoroughly enjoy sharing their
knowledge and experience with others.
So good luck; just enter the fray quietly and get to know some of the pilots
here. I think you'll do all right.
Dudley Henriques

Steve Foley[_2_]
April 28th 07, 04:56 AM
"Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in message
>I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a
>negative look at simmers.

You added an extra s at the end of that sentence. There is only one simmer
who bothered me.
He doesn't live in my world anymore. I do see the occasional post about him,
but nothing written by him,
or any responses to him. Once he pollutes a thread, my computer hides it
from me.

> I have always loved aviation. For me, because of physical limitations and
> age, I will never be able to fly a real airplane alone.

Just don't write yourself off too quickly. Find out if your physical
limitations will really
prevent you from flying.

> I understand that it will never compare to rt experiences, and I also
> understand that idiots like mxmaniac do not represent us simmers. It is a
> game, but it does give us some little feel about flying.

I have nothing against sims, but sims don't like me. I can't land a sim
plane without crashing. I've
landed hundereds of times in a real plane without doing any damage.

> I have a friend who flies for Continental on 737's from Newark,, He is
> impressed with simming and says it is a good way to learn the basics, but
> not a substitute for RT.
>

> I enjoy listening and learning from you folks and I know we might post
> stupid questions at times. Maybe we are jealous of you. I am. So please
> bear with the ignorance.

Ask away. You'll probably get plenty of answers.

> Dan

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 28th 07, 05:20 AM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Dan544 writes:
>
>> I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a
>> negative look at simmers.
>
> I think some pilots are more interested in aviation as a means to
> impress others than as an end in itself. Such pilots are irritated by
> anyone who seems to be trespassing on their turf. Pilots who are
> interested in aviation for its own sake logically would not be
> bothered.

Nobody's bothered moron. You're just sport..

Bertie

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 28th 07, 05:23 AM
"Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in
:

> "Dudley Henriques" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in message
>>>I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a
>>>negative look at simmers.
>>>
>>> I have always loved aviation. For me, because of physical
>>> limitations and age, I will never be able to fly a real airplane
>>> alone.
>>>
>>> I understand that it will never compare to rt experiences, and I
>>> also understand that idiots like mxmaniac do not represent us
>>> simmers. It is a game, but it does give us some little feel about
>>> flying.
>>>
>>> I have a friend who flies for Continental on 737's from Newark,, He
>>> is impressed with simming and says it is a good way to learn the
>>> basics, but not a substitute for RT.
>>>

>>> I enjoy listening and learning from you folks and I know we might
>>> post stupid questions at times. Maybe we are jealous of you. I am.
>>> So please bear with the ignorance.
>>>
>>> Dan
>>
>> Although there might always be some people in any community as
>> specialized as a real world aviation newsgroup who might not
>> interface well with the flight simulator community, those who don't
>> interact well are in the minority by FAR.
>> On the other hand there are literally hundreds of pilots and aviation
>> enthusiasts out here from all over the world who not only interact
>> well with the sim community, but enjoy using the simulator
>> themselves. Some, like myself, even devote copious amounts of time
>> working not only with those who use the simulator, but also with
>> Microsoft and developers doing design work in the simulator program
>> itself. Please feel free to post here at any time you wish to
>> interact and/or ask a real world aviation question. If that question
>> is presented properly, I'm sure you will find the real world pilots
>> who frequent these groups to be friendly and responsive.
>> I believe that any simulator pilot posting to an actual aviation
>> newsgroup who approaches real life pilots in a pleasant and
>> respectful manner will have no problems along the lines you have
>> indicated. Dudley Henriques
>> Retired Professional Pilot
>> MVP Microsoft Flight Simulator
>>

> Dudley.. Have seen you many times in the other NG.
>
> I promise you folks with the little knowledge I have, I will not
> question
> you.. Just here for the learning experience.

It's not ther questioning that's the problem.. It's usualy the
questioner.

Bertie

Dan544
April 28th 07, 05:46 AM
"Mxsmanic" > wrote in message
> Dan544 writes:
>
>> > Is an idiot anything like a cripple?
>>
>> Sorry.. It is not my style to charactarize anyone like that..
>
> You said "idiots like mxmaniac." I was wondering if you ridicule people
> in
> other equally cruel and thoughtless ways as well. You know, people who
> have,
> say, physical limitations, or age.

What is it that you do not understand the word Sorry?

Dan

buttman
April 28th 07, 11:03 AM
On Apr 27, 7:03 pm, Mxsmanic > wrote:
> Dan544 writes:
> > I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a negative
> > look at simmers.
>
> I think some pilots are more interested in aviation as a means to impress
> others than as an end in itself. Such pilots are irritated by anyone who
> seems to be trespassing on their turf.

There was a thread not too long ago about an article in some magazine
talking about the declining pilot population. Someone said, and I
agree with him on this point, that this could be in part due to pilots
no longer being seen as "heroes" by the general public. People like
Yeager and Lindberg were looked up to back in the day. People were
drawn to aviation because they wanted to be seen as "heroes" by
everyone else. The same thing goes for actors; a good majority of them
are only drawn to the profession because of the glamor of Hollywood.

People here expected to be fawned over because they have a pilot
certificate. MX doesn't fawn over anyone. He sees answers to his
question as just that; answers to questions. He sees people here as
human beings who happen to have a lot of knowledge pertaining to
aviation; not demigods who have blessed him with their presence. I had
college professors who thought highly of themselves who were the same
way. They'd give an unclear answer, and if you questioned them, you'd
get scoffed off.

When I was little I didn't idolize any aviators. I didn't have F-14
posters on my wall, nor did I care for anything else aviation related.
If I were to meet a Blue Angel, I would have just said "uhhh, hi". I
don't think I even had a toy airplane growing up. I actually did have
a friend when I was little who was into aviation big time. He could
tell you the engine thrust, takeoff weight, and everything else for
just about every single military plane ever made. I thought he was
just a big dweeb.

I guess I just kind of fell into aviation. I started because I like
the science of it. I like traveling. I like adventure. Even now my
relationship with aviation is very cold and distant. I don't sleep
with my POH's, but I do study them. I don't feel those warm fuzzy
feelings most pilots say they feel, but I do feel other feelings.
Those other feelings I guess only people like me can feel, not those
who see aviation completely differently...

I don't ever hope to pick up chicks with my striped epaulets, nor do I
ever expect people to fawn over me when I say those magic words "I'm a
pilot" at a cocktail party. Thats just now why I do it. If a non-pilot
asks me a question pertaining to aviation, and I give him an answer
that he thinks is wrong, I'm not going to be insulted. I'll use my
superior knowledge to defend my position, but I sure as hell won't get
emotional about it.

Doctors don't go off on their patients calling them morons when the
patient disagrees with the prognosis, why should pilots? It's just not
professional.

Honestly, this kind of behavior, seen on this newsgroup, and in real
life, has recently made me doubt wanting to continue my aviation
career. It's one of those things I've been trying to not think about,
because it always gets me down.

Sorry this post has been all over the place, but this topic has been
going through my mind for a few years now. It's not something I can
just condense into a few paragraphs.

> Pilots who are interested in aviation
> for its own sake logically would not be bothered.

Which is me. Some of the questions you post are pretty stupid, but I
just ignore those. They're just words on a computer screen. It's not
worth having an aneurysm over. Some of your questions are very good,
and if others would take them seriously could be even more interesting.

The Old Bloke[_4_]
April 28th 07, 12:47 PM
"buttman" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
> professional.
>
> Honestly, this kind of behavior, seen on this newsgroup, and in real
> life, has recently made me doubt wanting to continue my aviation
> career. It's one of those things I've been trying to not think about,
> because it always gets me down.
>
> Sorry this post has been all over the place, but this topic has been
> going through my mind for a few years now. It's not something I can
> just condense into a few paragraphs.
>

>> Pilots who are interested in aviation
>> for its own sake logically would not be bothered.
>
> Which is me. Some of the questions you post are pretty stupid, but I
> just ignore those. They're just words on a computer screen. It's not
> worth having an aneurysm over. Some of your questions are very good,
> and if others would take them seriously could be even more interesting.

First, let me say I am not a pilot. But I agree with your opinions. MX
doesn't impress me, He asks many questions and then questions the answers.
I agree entirely with your statement, "People here expected to be fawned
over because they have a pilot certificate. MX doesn't fawn over anyone."
Except I would say "some people". Whilst MX will argue the point he rarely
(if ever) is abusive. Not unlike his attackers, some of whom I am
embarrassed by. Sorry, but there is a killer pack mentality at work amongst
a small number of individuals, not just on this NG but others. Before I
retired I dealt with many people like MX. They can be trying, but we must
not try to destroy people! MX is intelligent.

Lastly, if you don't like MX, don't read his posts! If you don't like him,
but still read his posts and then attack, maybe you need to take a deep
breathe.

Our house expert Dudley H doesn't let these things upset him. Try and
learn from this distinguished pilot.

The Old Bloke[_4_]
April 28th 07, 12:52 PM
"Steve Foley" > wrote in message
> "Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in message
>>I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a
>>negative look at simmers.
>
> You added an extra s at the end of that sentence. There is only one simmer
> who bothered me.
> He doesn't live in my world anymore. I do see the occasional post about
> him, but nothing written by him,
> or any responses to him. Once he pollutes a thread, my computer hides it
> from me.
>

>> I have always loved aviation. For me, because of physical limitations and
>> age, I will never be able to fly a real airplane alone.
>>

> Just don't write yourself off too quickly. Find out if your physical
> limitations will really
> prevent you from flying.

*****I can't speak for Dan, but I have had 3 strokes, and would not be able
to physically get into an aircraft.

>> I understand that it will never compare to rt experiences, and I also
>> understand that idiots like mxmaniac do not represent us simmers. It is a
>> game, but it does give us some little feel about flying.
>>

> I have nothing against sims, but sims don't like me. I can't land a sim
> plane without crashing. I've
> landed hundereds of times in a real plane without doing any damage.
>

>> I have a friend who flies for Continental on 737's from Newark,, He is
>> impressed with simming and says it is a good way to learn the basics, but
>> not a substitute for RT.
>>

>> I enjoy listening and learning from you folks and I know we might post
>> stupid questions at times. Maybe we are jealous of you. I am. So please
>> bear with the ignorance.
>
> Ask away. You'll probably get plenty of answers.
>

>> Dan

BDS
April 28th 07, 01:01 PM
"buttman" > wrote...

> People like
> Yeager and Lindberg were looked up to back in the day.

Yes, but I don't think it was just because they were pilots. I think it had
more to do with what they accomplished, just as it does today.

> People here expected to be fawned over because they have a pilot
> certificate.

I really don't think that statement is true. The problems occur because
some people like to argue for arguement's sake. They are not really
interested in answers to questions.

> Those other feelings I guess only people like me can feel, not those
> who see aviation completely differently...

I'm not sure what you mean. For me powered flight is simply a means of
travel that also happens to be enjoyable and sometimes challenging. Like
every other activity in life, it also allows one to experience things that
can only be experienced through participation in the particular activity.
The unique experiences one can get through participation in aviation is what
makes it special to most of us.

> I don't ever hope to pick up chicks with my striped epaulets, nor do I
> ever expect people to fawn over me when I say those magic words "I'm a
> pilot" at a cocktail party.

Good, 'cause it ain't gonna happen. Nobody really cares, and most of them
have no interest at all in flying.

> Honestly, this kind of behavior, seen on this newsgroup, and in real
> life, has recently made me doubt wanting to continue my aviation
> career.

You've got to be kidding.

> Which is me. Some of the questions you post are pretty stupid, but I
> just ignore those. They're just words on a computer screen.

So true, but then why are you considering changing what you do for a living
just because of what you read on usenet?

BDS

Steve Foley[_2_]
April 28th 07, 01:55 PM
"The Old Bloke" > wrote in message

> "Steve Foley" > wrote in message

>> Just don't write yourself off too quickly. Find out if your physical
>> limitations will really
>> prevent you from flying.
>
> *****I can't speak for Dan, but I have had 3 strokes, and would not be
> able to physically get into an aircraft.

While I was training for my private, there was a guy in a wheelchair also
training. More than once I helped him in or out of the aircraft. There was
also the recent thread of the blind pilot. I would have assumed that neither
of these could fly. Don't assume anything.

The Old Bloke[_4_]
April 28th 07, 02:16 PM
"Steve Foley" > wrote in message
> "The Old Bloke" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Steve Foley" > wrote in message
>
>>> Just don't write yourself off too quickly. Find out if your physical
>>> limitations will really
>>> prevent you from flying.
>>
>> *****I can't speak for Dan, but I have had 3 strokes, and would not be
>> able to physically get into an aircraft.
>>

> While I was training for my private, there was a guy in a wheelchair also
> training. More than once I helped him in or out of the aircraft. There was
> also the recent thread of the blind pilot. I would have assumed that
> neither of these could fly. Don't assume anything.
I have applied. I have very limited movement of my arms. And they feel numb
to me, so I get no feedback.

Judah
April 28th 07, 03:16 PM
"Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in
:

> I promise you folks with the little knowledge I have, I will not
> question you.. Just here for the learning experience.
>
> Dan

Whoa!! Hold on a minute!!

If I say something that doesn't seem to be right, or doesn't make sense, I
WANT you (or someone) to question me. If I am full of s%^&* or realize I
made a mistake, I will certainly appreciate the fact that you helped me
realize it. In fact, I am a strong believer in "out of the mouth of
babes" - a fresh viewpoint of something that I take for granted often helps
me solve problems or realize my own mistakes. Any pilot can tell you that
there is a lot of "lore" that you hear from other pilots and instructors
based on how something might have worked on some specific plane in some
specific circumstance that has somehow manifested itself into gospel for
all planes in all situations, but is really not accurate. I certainly
appreciate it when someone can give me factual information and filter out
all of the bulls^&*.

No one is infallible. Not even the more vocal folks on this group. And if
someone says something inaccurate and is proven wrong, even by Manic, they
made a mistake and should not try to pretend otherwise. It can be a tough
thing for anyone with a big ego to accept the possibility that he was
proven wrong, especially by someone he doesn't like. And it's easy to be
tough behind an anonymous wall of usenet, but it's not a good demonstration
of character.

Manic's problem is not that he questions the opinion of every pilot who
answers his question. Manic's problem is that he specifically disrespects
pilots. He has made it obvious that he is not asking questions because he
wants to learn. He asks questions because he wants to bait pilots who try
to help him into proving them wrong so that he can boost his own ego. And
if he, who is also fallible, makes a mistake, he simply shrugs it off and
says that he meant something else or changes the assumption.

But if your intent is to gain knowledge about aviation or aviation lore, or
even some some other non-aviation things that interest pilots, or you just
want to hear some good pilot stories, you've come to the right place, even
if you are not a pilot.

Enjoy!

Maxwell
April 28th 07, 03:45 PM
"Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in message
>I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a
>negative look at simmers.
>
> I have always loved aviation. For me, because of physical limitations and
> age, I will never be able to fly a real airplane alone.
>
> I understand that it will never compare to rt experiences, and I also
> understand that idiots like mxmaniac do not represent us simmers. It is a
> game, but it does give us some little feel about flying.
>
> I have a friend who flies for Continental on 737's from Newark,, He is
> impressed with simming and says it is a good way to learn the basics, but
> not a substitute for RT.
>

> I enjoy listening and learning from you folks and I know we might post
> stupid questions at times. Maybe we are jealous of you. I am. So please
> bear with the ignorance.

I think you will find it has little (if not nothing) to do with simmers.
Many pilots, including myself, work with one form of sim or the other. The
problem is clearly with MX as a person, or his inability to interact with
others. Regardless of what few contributions he occasionally makes, MX is a
very troubled person. If you search the internet groups, you will find that
MX is not here to learn anything as he likes to suggest, but is nothing more
than a troll that likes to create confusion. And a lot of people here
respect this forum as an asset, and therefore despise his nonsense and
confusion.

ManhattanMan
April 28th 07, 05:49 PM
Dan544 wrote:

>>> Sorry.. It is not my style to charactarize anyone like that..
>>
>> You said "idiots like mxmaniac." I was wondering if you ridicule
>> people in
>> other equally cruel and thoughtless ways as well. You know, people
>> who have,
>> say, physical limitations, or age.
>>

> What is it that you do not understand the word Sorry?

----------------------------------------o__\
twannnnnggg............
(sound of taut line after setting the hook ;)

typical mx trolling style...........

601XL Builder
April 28th 07, 05:50 PM
Dan, we have no problem with simmers. We have a problem with one
particular simmer. I have no doubt we would have the same problem with
him if he was a 30000 hour ATP. The only difference would be that we
would all spend significant time worrying that we would either end up on
an aircraft or in airspace he was flying.

Dan544 wrote:
> I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a
> negative look at simmers.
>
> I have always loved aviation. For me, because of physical limitations
> and age, I will never be able to fly a real airplane alone.
>
> I understand that it will never compare to rt experiences, and I also
> understand that idiots like mxmaniac do not represent us simmers. It is
> a game, but it does give us some little feel about flying.
>
> I have a friend who flies for Continental on 737's from Newark,, He is
> impressed with simming and says it is a good way to learn the basics,
> but not a substitute for RT.
>

> I enjoy listening and learning from you folks and I know we might post
> stupid questions at times. Maybe we are jealous of you. I am. So please
> bear with the ignorance.
>
> Dan

Morgans[_2_]
April 28th 07, 06:17 PM
> I have no doubt we would have the same problem with him if he was a 30000
> hour ATP. The only difference would be that we would all spend significant
> time worrying that we would either end up on an aircraft or in airspace he
> was flying.

If that were the case, I'll bet there would be a waiting line to call up to
the FAA medical division, to report about an unstable pilot, that has
problems mixing reality with real life. <g>
--
Jim in NC

Mxsmanic
April 28th 07, 06:28 PM
buttman writes:

> Doctors don't go off on their patients calling them morons when the
> patient disagrees with the prognosis, why should pilots? It's just not
> professional.

Doctors, as a group, are somewhat smarter than pilots, and they acquire vastly
more knowledge about their profession than most pilots ever acquire about
their own. This makes them less insecure.

However, I have met insecure doctors who behave like many of the pilots here,
expecting others to grovel, and becoming emotional and abusive when the
groveling fails to materialize.

> Honestly, this kind of behavior, seen on this newsgroup, and in real
> life, has recently made me doubt wanting to continue my aviation
> career. It's one of those things I've been trying to not think about,
> because it always gets me down.

The pilots who misbehave here are a minority. The same character faults that
compel them to behave as they do also make it impossible for them to remain
silent. As a result, they create noise that is all out of proportion with
their number.

Many pilots do not suffer from the insecurities or immaturities I've seen
displayed here, and I certainly do not write off all pilots just because the
most puerile among them seem to post here.

> Which is me.

And lots of other pilots, too, no doubt. If you fly because you like to fly,
why would you can about what anyone else thinks? And why would you need
sycophants to be happy?

> Some of the questions you post are pretty stupid, but I
> just ignore those. They're just words on a computer screen. It's not
> worth having an aneurysm over. Some of your questions are very good,
> and if others would take them seriously could be even more interesting.

That seems like a reasonable policy.

Now I'll watch the children respond.

Mxsmanic
April 28th 07, 06:31 PM
Judah writes:

> Manic's problem is not that he questions the opinion of every pilot who
> answers his question. Manic's problem is that he specifically disrespects
> pilots.

I neither respect nor disrespect pilots; why would a person's hobby or
occupation have any bearing on whether or not I respect him? It's the person,
not the job.

However, some people are so insecure that they interpret any absence of
fawning respect to be a manifestation of _disrespect_. That's their problem,
not mine.

Mxsmanic
April 28th 07, 06:32 PM
The Old Bloke writes:

> I have applied. I have very limited movement of my arms. And they feel numb
> to me, so I get no feedback.

Have you considered flying an aircraft tailored to compensate for your
disabilities? As I recall, the FAA will give you a medical in certain
circumstances for flight in a specific aircraft if you can demonstrate that
you can handle it in that aircraft. You wouldn't be able to fly any other
plane, but just being able to fly one would be a great step forward.

Roger (K8RI)
April 28th 07, 06:40 PM
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 21:45:18 -0400, "Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote:

>I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a negative
>look at simmers.

I can only speak for myself and am fairly sure quite a few others feel
the same.

First I have nothing against simmers in general, nor do I think most
pilots. I have one state-of-the-art machine I use for simming and am
now building another one specifically for that purpose. OTOH all the
computers here serve multiple purposes. I've flown about 1,400 hours
in the last 14 to 15 years with most being in high
performance/complex/retract. I'm also instrument rated, but not
current. The only person I did it to impress was me. <:-)) Well, I
have to admit I'd have to add my wife in there as well as she likes to
be able to fly places.

"I think" the "rub" comes from those who equate simming to real life
flying and refuse to accept there are some major and very important
differences.. Simming under some circumstances (Even MS FS) can add or
supplement portions of real life flying, but falls far short of the
real thing. That it "looks" very realistic is not the same as giving
the user a realistic experience except in some limited circumstances.

On these news groups some of the pilots have become sensitized by a
small number from the sim community which is unfortunate and probably
why you see such a negative view from a few.

>I have always loved aviation. For me, because of physical limitations and
>age, I will never be able to fly a real airplane alone.

Many of us on here are likely to find ourselves in that situation as
well, eventually. Some much sooner than others and it can happen
without warning.

>I understand that it will never compare to rt experiences, and I also
>understand that idiots like mxmaniac do not represent us simmers. It is a
>game, but it does give us some little feel about flying.

Likewise I enjoy it.

>I have a friend who flies for Continental on 737's from Newark,, He is
>impressed with simming and says it is a good way to learn the basics, but
>not a substitute for RT.

I've found it is a good way to keep up on procedures.

>I enjoy listening and learning from you folks and I know we might post
>stupid questions at times. Maybe we are jealous of you. I am. So please bear
>with the ignorance.

You have a good attitude Dan. I hope it survives the news groups<:-))
I for one welcome you to the group.

>Dan

Maxwell
April 28th 07, 07:05 PM
"Mxsmanic" > wrote in message
snip -> more nonsense

Funny, if all that is true, that the only person receiving that kind of
response is Anthony.

If those pilots were responding out of a sence of insecurity or immaturity,
why don't they respond every one else the same way.

Geez, what a puzzle.

Mxsmanic
April 28th 07, 08:52 PM
Morgans writes:

> If that were the case, I'll bet there would be a waiting line to call up to
> the FAA medical division, to report about an unstable pilot, that has
> problems mixing reality with real life. <g>

You never know who might be calling the FAA.

Dallas
April 28th 07, 10:42 PM
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 19:32:48 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

> As I recall, the FAA will give you a medical

The Old Bloke lives in Brisbane, Australia. That's a bit beyond the scope
of the FAA.

--
Dallas

Judah
April 28th 07, 10:51 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> I neither respect nor disrespect pilots; why would a person's hobby or
> occupation have any bearing on whether or not I respect him? It's the
> person, not the job.

You have repeatedly expressed disdain for pilots and "our social club". You
claim that your sim experiences are equavalent to piloting a physical
aircraft without being able or willing to "prove it" - to yourself or others.
Instead you expect others to "prove you wrong". You have expressed that
people on this newsgroup who bear witness to certain actual events and
phenomenon are not reliable because their experiences don't jibe with your
often baseless "theories". You claim that anyone who answers your questions
is just a "self-appointed expert", even if they have credentials -- which you
have said mean nothing to you. Yet you have appointed yourself the expert at
filtering out the truth from the garbage.

And you don't even see the very hypocricy of your own statements and
sentiments.

Mxsmanic
April 28th 07, 11:04 PM
Judah writes:

> You have repeatedly expressed disdain for pilots and "our social club".

No. I have expressed reservations concerning "pilots" who seem to be more
interested in the treehouse-club mentality than in aviation itself.

> You claim that your sim experiences are equavalent to piloting a physical
> aircraft without being able or willing to "prove it" - to yourself or others.

No. I claim that many aspects of simulation are identical or nearly identical
to real-world flight ... and as far as I know (and have been told), this is
true.

> Instead you expect others to "prove you wrong".

I expect others to substantiate their assertions with reasoning, facts, or
both.

> You have expressed that
> people on this newsgroup who bear witness to certain actual events and
> phenomenon are not reliable because their experiences don't jibe with your
> often baseless "theories".

No, I've asserted that people on USENET are unreliable, period.

> You claim that anyone who answers your questions is just a "self-appointed
> expert", even if they have credentials -- which you have said mean nothing
> to you.

Unless they can substantiate their assertions, this is true.

> Yet you have appointed yourself the expert at filtering out the truth
> from the garbage.

I've never claimed to be an expert.

TheSmokingGnu
April 29th 07, 01:25 AM
ManhattanMan wrote:
> ----------------------------------------o__\
> twannnnnggg............
> (sound of taut line after setting the hook ;)

Sounds like 80lbs. test from here.

Gone off the deep one this one has, and predictably fast.

Thread, meet killfile. Killfile, thread. They're best of friends.

TheSmokingGnu

ManhattanMan
April 29th 07, 03:06 AM
Dallas wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 19:32:48 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:
>
>> As I recall, the FAA will give you a medical
>
> The Old Bloke lives in Brisbane, Australia. That's a bit beyond the
> scope of the FAA.

As if Mx gives a flying **** about anybody but his ain't got a life
himself......

d.g.s.
April 29th 07, 03:09 AM
On 4/28/2007 3:03 AM buttman jumped down, turned around, and wrote:

> [...] MX doesn't fawn over anyone. [...] He sees people here as
> human beings who happen to have a lot of knowledge pertaining to
> aviation;

Um, no. Anthony doesn't see people here. To him, they are nothing more
than names on a screen.

Converting what are in reality living, breathing people to abstract
things ... that's not seeing people as human beings. Anthony has more
respect for names on a piece of paper (aka "the literature") than he
has for the names on a screen who post here.
--
dgs

Dan544
April 29th 07, 03:31 AM
"Judah" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in
> :
>
>> I promise you folks with the little knowledge I have, I will not
>> question you.. Just here for the learning experience.
>>
> But if your intent is to gain knowledge about aviation or aviation lore,
> or
> even some some other non-aviation things that interest pilots, or you just
> want to hear some good pilot stories, you've come to the right place, even
> if you are not a pilot.

I do enjoy the pilot stories a lot. I get on the sim and try and recreate
them.

The only rt for me except for commercial was in Maine near Bar Harbor. I got
up in a glider a few times. It was such a beautiful and incredible
experience for me. The second time up he asked it I wanted to do some rolls.
Of course.. WOW!!

Like I said, Because of physical limitations, I would never be able to get a
license. I saw an earlier post from someone who said that flying duo would
be OK. Does that mean that I could handle the plane?

Dan

Dudley Henriques[_2_]
April 29th 07, 03:46 AM
"Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in message

> "Judah" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> "Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in
>> :

> Like I said, Because of physical limitations, I would never be able to get
> a license. I saw an earlier post from someone who said that flying duo
> would be OK. Does that mean that I could handle the plane?
>
> Dan

Yes. Any instructor, or pilot for that matter, can allow you to handle the
controls during a flight.
I would suggest you go out to the nearest airport and simply ask for a
demonstration flight. Any CFI can do this for you and allow you all the
access you desire in handling the aircraft. A physical limitation might deny
you a medical, but you can take all the dual instruction you want to without
a medical. You just can't solo.
In fact, in theory anyway, it is actually possible for you to become the
finest pilot in the world while doing it all with an instructor with you in
the airplane. As long as that CFI is in there with you, he is pilot in
command, but you can do all the flying your limitations will allow. The
instructor will decide where these limits are.
Were you flying with me, and you could handle the airplane, I see no reason
whatsoever that would deny you the experience of handling the aircraft from
takeoff through landing; in other words, as long as I or some other
instructor is in there with you and you can cut it, the airplane can be
yours.
Of course I have no idea just how bad your physical limitation might be. I'm
assuming what you are discussing might be enough to deny you a medical, but
not enough to actually keep you physically from flying the airplane.
With me, or any instructor who is any good at all, our only rule is that we
won't allow you to kill us or bend the airplane...that's it!! Aside from
that, it's yours to handle, so why not give it a go??? There might be no
reason at all why you can't enjoy the beauties of flight and come back here
on the group as a contributor with answers as well as questions :-))
How's THIS for something to think about?
Dudley Henriques

Sylvain
April 29th 07, 04:05 AM
Dan544 wrote:

> Like I said, Because of physical limitations, I would never be able to get
> a license. I saw an earlier post from someone who said that flying duo
> would be OK. Does that mean that I could handle the plane?

another point, in addition to what Dudley wrote; there are a lot of
misconceptions floating around about what physical limitation might or
might not prevent you from getting a medical (e.g., I have a commercial
certificate, no restriction/limitation of any kind, ASEL, AMEL, IFR,
w/ unrestricted class-II medical, and I am short sighted, color blind
and paraplegic; and I am not, by a long shot, the only one out
there, e.g., tbere are few quadras, a bunch of amputees, etc.)

--Sylvain

ps oops, not quite true, there is one limitation on my class-II medical:
I must wear corrective lenses :-)

The Old Bloke[_4_]
April 29th 07, 04:23 AM
"Dudley Henriques" > wrote in message

> "Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in message
>>
>> "Judah" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> "Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in
>>> :
>
>> Like I said, Because of physical limitations, I would never be able to
>> get a license. I saw an earlier post from someone who said that flying
>> duo would be OK. Does that mean that I could handle the plane?
>>
>> Dan
>
> Yes. Any instructor, or pilot for that matter, can allow you to handle the
> controls during a flight.
> I would suggest you go out to the nearest airport and simply ask for a
> demonstration flight. Any CFI can do this for you and allow you all the
> access you desire in handling the aircraft. A physical limitation might
> deny you a medical, but you can take all the dual instruction you want to
> without a medical. You just can't solo.
> In fact, in theory anyway, it is actually possible for you to become the
> finest pilot in the world while doing it all with an instructor with you
> in the airplane. As long as that CFI is in there with you, he is pilot in
> command, but you can do all the flying your limitations will allow. The
> instructor will decide where these limits are.
> Were you flying with me, and you could handle the airplane, I see no
> reason whatsoever that would deny you the experience of handling the
> aircraft from takeoff through landing; in other words, as long as I or
> some other instructor is in there with you and you can cut it, the
> airplane can be yours.
> Of course I have no idea just how bad your physical limitation might be.
> I'm assuming what you are discussing might be enough to deny you a
> medical, but not enough to actually keep you physically from flying the
> airplane.
> With me, or any instructor who is any good at all, our only rule is that
> we won't allow you to kill us or bend the airplane...that's it!! Aside
> from that, it's yours to handle, so why not give it a go??? There might be
> no reason at all why you can't enjoy the beauties of flight and come back
> here on the group as a contributor with answers as well as questions :-))
> How's THIS for something to think about?
> Dudley Henriques
Now that's got me thinking, Dudley! I will look into it before I get any
older. That's got me excited! Thanks.

Dan544
April 29th 07, 04:36 AM
"Dudley Henriques" > wrote in message

> "Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in message Of course I have no idea just
> how bad your physical limitation might be. I'm assuming what you are
> discussing might be enough to deny you a medical, but not enough to
> actually keep you physically from flying the airplane.
> With me, or any instructor who is any good at all, our only rule is that
> we won't allow you to kill us or bend the airplane...that's it!! Aside
> from that, it's yours to handle, so why not give it a go??? There might be
> no reason at all why you can't enjoy the beauties of flight and come back
> here on the group as a contributor with answers as well as questions :-))
> How's THIS for something to think about?
> Dudley Henriques

Not that physically disabled Dudley that I cant get around. I live in
Winter Haven Florida, and we have a million lakes. There is one guy I know
(not personally) who takes people up and trains them for water landings. He
charges only $45 for an hour. I am hassling my wife for a birthday gift to
do it.

I know I will do it. I will post you on my first time up. Thanks for all the
kind words.

Dan

Dan544
April 29th 07, 04:39 AM
"The Old Bloke" > wrote in message

> Now that's got me thinking, Dudley! I will look into it before I get any
> older. That's got me excited! Thanks.

Lets see who goes first Old Bloke. *L*

Dan

Dudley Henriques[_2_]
April 29th 07, 04:46 AM
Find a Cessna dealer in the yellow pages and ask them for an intro flight.
I'm betting you'll do just fine :-))
Let me know how it goes.
Dudley Henriques

"Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in message

> "Dudley Henriques" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in message Of course I have no idea just
>> how bad your physical limitation might be. I'm assuming what you are
>> discussing might be enough to deny you a medical, but not enough to
>> actually keep you physically from flying the airplane.
>> With me, or any instructor who is any good at all, our only rule is that
>> we won't allow you to kill us or bend the airplane...that's it!! Aside
>> from that, it's yours to handle, so why not give it a go??? There might
>> be no reason at all why you can't enjoy the beauties of flight and come
>> back here on the group as a contributor with answers as well as questions
>> :-))
>> How's THIS for something to think about?
>> Dudley Henriques
>>

> Not that physically disabled Dudley that I cant get around. I live in
> Winter Haven Florida, and we have a million lakes. There is one guy I know
> (not personally) who takes people up and trains them for water landings.
> He charges only $45 for an hour. I am hassling my wife for a birthday gift
> to do it.
>
> I know I will do it. I will post you on my first time up. Thanks for all
> the kind words.
>
> Dan

Dudley Henriques[_2_]
April 29th 07, 04:48 AM
You can do it I'm sure. No reason at all not to. Personally I think you'll
be amazed at how easy it is to fly an airplane.
Go for the intro flight, and let me know how you make out.
Dudley Henriques

"The Old Bloke" > wrote in message

> "Dudley Henriques" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Judah" > wrote in message
>>> . ..
>>
>>> Like I said, Because of physical limitations, I would never be able to
>>> get a license. I saw an earlier post from someone who said that flying
>>> duo would be OK. Does that mean that I could handle the plane?
>>>
>>> Dan
>>
>> Yes. Any instructor, or pilot for that matter, can allow you to handle
>> the controls during a flight.
>> I would suggest you go out to the nearest airport and simply ask for a
>> demonstration flight. Any CFI can do this for you and allow you all the
>> access you desire in handling the aircraft. A physical limitation might
>> deny you a medical, but you can take all the dual instruction you want to
>> without a medical. You just can't solo.
>> In fact, in theory anyway, it is actually possible for you to become the
>> finest pilot in the world while doing it all with an instructor with you
>> in the airplane. As long as that CFI is in there with you, he is pilot in
>> command, but you can do all the flying your limitations will allow. The
>> instructor will decide where these limits are.
>> Were you flying with me, and you could handle the airplane, I see no
>> reason whatsoever that would deny you the experience of handling the
>> aircraft from takeoff through landing; in other words, as long as I or
>> some other instructor is in there with you and you can cut it, the
>> airplane can be yours.
>> Of course I have no idea just how bad your physical limitation might be.
>> I'm assuming what you are discussing might be enough to deny you a
>> medical, but not enough to actually keep you physically from flying the
>> airplane.
>> With me, or any instructor who is any good at all, our only rule is that
>> we won't allow you to kill us or bend the airplane...that's it!! Aside
>> from that, it's yours to handle, so why not give it a go??? There might
>> be no reason at all why you can't enjoy the beauties of flight and come
>> back here on the group as a contributor with answers as well as questions
>> :-))
>> How's THIS for something to think about?
>> Dudley Henriques
> Now that's got me thinking, Dudley! I will look into it before I get any
> older. That's got me excited! Thanks.

The Old Bloke[_4_]
April 29th 07, 12:33 PM
"mxmoron" > wrote in message
> MXSMANIC WROTE:
>
>>No, I've asserted that people on USENET are unreliable, period.
>
> Yet you continue asking your questions.
>
> What does that make you?
>
> (heres a hint - five letters, starts with a T - last two letters are the
> same)

OK you don't like Mx. But why continue to be rude? Why not just stop
reading his postings? Usenet is such we only need to read what we want. As
I have said, use Dudley's approach. He is a very wise man. Someone for
whom I have enormous respect.

Steve Foley[_2_]
April 29th 07, 01:26 PM
"Nomen Nescio" > wrote in message

> Hell, unless I'm mistaken, even Bob Hoover had to fly with another
> pilot on board, at one time, to act as PIC.

> And I'd dare ANYONE to question his flying ability. :)

Didn't some FAA drone do exactly that? (yanked his medical because his
performance wasn't up to snuff)

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 29th 07, 01:39 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Morgans writes:
>
>> If that were the case, I'll bet there would be a waiting line to call
>> up to the FAA medical division, to report about an unstable pilot,
>> that has problems mixing reality with real life. <g>
>
> You never know who might be calling the FAA.

You really are a complete asshole, aren't you?

Bertie

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 29th 07, 01:41 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> The Old Bloke writes:
>
>> I have applied. I have very limited movement of my arms. And they
>> feel numb to me, so I get no feedback.
>
> Have you considered flying an aircraft tailored to compensate for your
> disabilities?

In your case that would be one without wings, fjukktard]

Bertie

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 29th 07, 01:42 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Judah writes:
>
>> You have repeatedly expressed disdain for pilots and "our social
>> club".
>
> No. I have expressed reservations concerning "pilots" who seem to be
> more interested in the treehouse-club mentality than in aviation
> itself.
>
>> You claim that your sim experiences are equavalent to piloting a
>> physical aircraft without being able or willing to "prove it" - to
>> yourself or others.
>
> No. I claim that many aspects of simulation are identical or nearly
> identical to real-world flight ... and as far as I know (and have been
> told), this is true.

No, it isn't, fjukktyard, not even in a multi million dollar sim..

I oughta know..

Bertie

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 29th 07, 01:44 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> buttman writes:
>
>> Doctors don't go off on their patients calling them morons when the
>> patient disagrees with the prognosis, why should pilots? It's just
>> not professional.
>
> Doctors, as a group, are somewhat smarter than pilots, and they
> acquire vastly more knowledge about their profession than most pilots
> ever acquire about their own. This makes them less insecure.
>
> However, I have met insecure doctors who behave like many of the
> pilots here, expecting others to grovel, and becoming emotional and
> abusive when the groveling fails to materialize.

Snort!

I'll bet you meet a LOT of doctors.

Bertie

Dudley Henriques[_2_]
April 29th 07, 01:51 PM
"Steve Foley" > wrote in message
> "Nomen Nescio" > wrote in message
>
>> Hell, unless I'm mistaken, even Bob Hoover had to fly with another
>> pilot on board, at one time, to act as PIC.
>

>> And I'd dare ANYONE to question his flying ability. :)
>
> Didn't some FAA drone do exactly that? (yanked his medical because his
> performance wasn't up to snuff)

No, it had nothing to do with his performance. It had EVERYTHING to do with
the arrogance and stupidity of one FAA individual exercising power he never
should have had.
Like all government stupidity, this incident, once put in the pipeline by
this incredibly incompetent individual , had to work itself out through the
agonizing process Bob and the entire aviation community on several
continents had to go through to reverse it.
Dudley Henriques

Steve Foley[_2_]
April 29th 07, 03:11 PM
"Dudley Henriques" > wrote in message

> "Steve Foley" > wrote in message
>> "Nomen Nescio" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Hell, unless I'm mistaken, even Bob Hoover had to fly with another
>>> pilot on board, at one time, to act as PIC.
>>

>>> And I'd dare ANYONE to question his flying ability. :)
>>
>> Didn't some FAA drone do exactly that? (yanked his medical because his
>> performance wasn't up to snuff)
>
> No, it had nothing to do with his performance. It had EVERYTHING to do
> with the arrogance and stupidity of one FAA individual exercising power he
> never should have had.
> Like all government stupidity, this incident, once put in the pipeline by
> this incredibly incompetent individual , had to work itself out through
> the agonizing process Bob and the entire aviation community on several
> continents had to go through to reverse it.
> Dudley Henriques

Wasn;t the original reason (excuse) given that his performance was sub-par?

I'm not saying it was, I'm just saying that someone claimed it was.

Mxsmanic
April 29th 07, 04:40 PM
Bertie the Bunyip writes:

> I'll bet you meet a LOT of doctors.

Some of my best friends are doctors. I like smart people, and doctors are
usually somewhat smarter than the rest of the pack.

Mxsmanic
April 29th 07, 04:42 PM
Dudley Henriques writes:

> No, it had nothing to do with his performance. It had EVERYTHING to do with
> the arrogance and stupidity of one FAA individual exercising power he never
> should have had.
> Like all government stupidity, this incident, once put in the pipeline by
> this incredibly incompetent individual , had to work itself out through the
> agonizing process Bob and the entire aviation community on several
> continents had to go through to reverse it.

What, exactly, did this FAA individual do in this incident?

Maxwell
April 29th 07, 04:49 PM
"Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in message

> "The Old Bloke" > wrote in message
>>
>> Now that's got me thinking, Dudley! I will look into it before I get any
>> older. That's got me excited! Thanks.
>
> Lets see who goes first Old Bloke. *L*

Dudley is right on guys. Check in to this. Lack of a medical or even many
physical limitiations don't have to ground you. When I was learing to fly in
the early 70s, one of the local heros had flown for years. Owned a small
grass strip and a 150 with pipeline windows in the lower doors, he had done
commerical work in for many years. When the addition of a pacemaker cost him
his medical, he went on for many years flying with any pilot that wanted to
ride along for free. He continued to remain very active for a very long
time.

Maxwell
April 29th 07, 05:51 PM
"Mxsmanic" > wrote in message
> Bertie the Bunyip writes:
>
>> I'll bet you meet a LOT of doctors.
>
> Some of my best friends are doctors. I like smart people, and doctors are
> usually somewhat smarter than the rest of the pack.

I bet you do indeed know a lot of doctors. Be sure and tell them your
friends on the UseNet suggested increasing your meds.

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 29th 07, 05:58 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Bertie the Bunyip writes:
>
>> I'll bet you meet a LOT of doctors.
>
> Some of my best friends are doctors. I like smart people, and doctors
> are usually somewhat smarter than the rest of the pack.

I'm sure you know looooads of doctors.

And I'm sure they just love you, terrorist boi.

Bertei

Dudley Henriques[_2_]
April 29th 07, 10:17 PM
"Steve Foley" > wrote in message
> "Dudley Henriques" > wrote in message

>>> Didn't some FAA drone do exactly that? (yanked his medical because his
>>> performance wasn't up to snuff)
>>
>> No, it had nothing to do with his performance. It had EVERYTHING to do
>> with the arrogance and stupidity of one FAA individual exercising power
>> he never should have had.
>> Like all government stupidity, this incident, once put in the pipeline by
>> this incredibly incompetent individual , had to work itself out through
>> the agonizing process Bob and the entire aviation community on several
>> continents had to go through to reverse it.
>> Dudley Henriques
>>

> Wasn;t the original reason (excuse) given that his performance was
> sub-par?
>
> I'm not saying it was, I'm just saying that someone claimed it was.

I understand. The "official reason" was close to what you have described.
There wasn't a word of truth to it as far as I and many in the aviation
community are concerned. Most of the people involved in it are now out of
the FAA. A few remain.
Dudley Henriques

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 29th 07, 10:58 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Dan544 writes:
>
>> > Is an idiot anything like a cripple?
>>
>> Sorry.. It is not my style to charactarize anyone like that..
>
> You said "idiots like mxmaniac." I was wondering if you ridicule
> people in other equally cruel and thoughtless ways as well. You know,
> people who have, say, physical limitations, or age.

Snort!

Whoosh!

Bertie

Roger (K8RI)
April 29th 07, 11:11 PM
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 22:46:35 -0400, "Dudley Henriques"
> wrote:

>"Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in message
>>
>> "Judah" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> "Dan544" <dan544p@hotmail> wrote in
>>> :
>
>> Like I said, Because of physical limitations, I would never be able to get
>> a license. I saw an earlier post from someone who said that flying duo
>> would be OK. Does that mean that I could handle the plane?
>>
>> Dan
>
>Yes. Any instructor, or pilot for that matter, can allow you to handle the
>controls during a flight.
>I would suggest you go out to the nearest airport and simply ask for a
>demonstration flight. Any CFI can do this for you and allow you all the
>access you desire in handling the aircraft. A physical limitation might deny
>you a medical, but you can take all the dual instruction you want to without
>a medical. You just can't solo.

I've given many a youngster and no few "oldsters" rides and let them
take the controls. Some years back I took part in an aviation camp
that runs twice a summer here in Midland MI ( 3BS ). At the end of the
camp the kids did a flight plan complete with weather briefing and
then we went out and flew those plans. I did the take offs and
landings, but once at a safe altitude gave the controls over to the
youngster. I talked him through the straight and level parts up to
Gladwin (GDW) and then through a level turn. After that I only had to
remind him of the headings if he started to drift off the flight plan.
He flew to Mt Pleasant (MOP), made the turn and flew back to Midland.
Last summer he gave me a ride in the 172 which he is now flying.

>In fact, in theory anyway, it is actually possible for you to become the
>finest pilot in the world while doing it all with an instructor with you in
>the airplane. As long as that CFI is in there with you, he is pilot in
>command, but you can do all the flying your limitations will allow. The
>instructor will decide where these limits are.
>Were you flying with me, and you could handle the airplane, I see no reason
>whatsoever that would deny you the experience of handling the aircraft from
>takeoff through landing; in other words, as long as I or some other
>instructor is in there with you and you can cut it, the airplane can be
>yours.
>Of course I have no idea just how bad your physical limitation might be. I'm
>assuming what you are discussing might be enough to deny you a medical, but
>not enough to actually keep you physically from flying the airplane.
>With me, or any instructor who is any good at all, our only rule is that we
>won't allow you to kill us or bend the airplane...that's it!! Aside from
>that, it's yours to handle, so why not give it a go??? There might be no
>reason at all why you can't enjoy the beauties of flight and come back here
>on the group as a contributor with answers as well as questions :-))
>How's THIS for something to think about?
>Dudley Henriques

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
May 7th 07, 06:31 AM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Dudley Henriques writes:
>
>> No, it had nothing to do with his performance. It had EVERYTHING to
>> do with the arrogance and stupidity of one FAA individual exercising
>> power he never should have had.
>> Like all government stupidity, this incident, once put in the
>> pipeline by this incredibly incompetent individual , had to work
>> itself out through the agonizing process Bob and the entire aviation
>> community on several continents had to go through to reverse it.
>
> What, exactly, did this FAA individual do in this incident?

What's it to you, you can't fly..

bertie

Maxwell
May 7th 07, 06:47 AM
"Mxsmanic" > wrote in message
> Dudley Henriques writes:
>
>> No, it had nothing to do with his performance. It had EVERYTHING to do
>> with
>> the arrogance and stupidity of one FAA individual exercising power he
>> never
>> should have had.
>> Like all government stupidity, this incident, once put in the pipeline by
>> this incredibly incompetent individual , had to work itself out through
>> the
>> agonizing process Bob and the entire aviation community on several
>> continents had to go through to reverse it.
>
> What, exactly, did this FAA individual do in this incident?

Caught him carrying passengers, while running a boot legged copy of MSFS.

Crash Lander[_1_]
May 7th 07, 07:07 AM
"The Old Bloke" > wrote in message
>>> *****I can't speak for Dan, but I have had 3 strokes, and would not be
>>> able to physically get into an aircraft.

Come down to Melbourne mate! I'll fold you up and pack you into the Gazelle
if I have to! ;-) We'll get you in!
Crash Lander

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
May 7th 07, 12:40 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Judah writes:
>
>> Manic's problem is not that he questions the opinion of every pilot
>> who answers his question. Manic's problem is that he specifically
>> disrespects pilots.
>
> I neither respect nor disrespect pilots; why would a person's hobby or
> occupation have any bearing on whether or not I respect him? It's the
> person, not the job.
>
> However, some people are so insecure that they interpret any absence
> of fawning respect to be a manifestation of _disrespect_. That's
> their problem, not mine.

Yes, you're just too full up with other problems already anyway!

Bertie

The Old Bloke[_4_]
May 7th 07, 10:04 PM
"Crash Lander" > wrote in message

> Come down to Melbourne mate! I'll fold you up and pack you into the
> Gazelle if I have to! ;-) We'll get you in!
> Crash Lander
lol !

Google