PDA

View Full Version : Any work on the Carlsbad crash this weekend?<EOM>

April 30th 07, 06:14 PM

April 30th 07, 06:29 PM
Paul,

There is an article in the NCTimes about it.

http://nctimes.com/articles/2007/04/30/news/coastal/42907122532.txt

Says 2 killed and one missing. Of course no cause yet, if ever.

--
Mike Flyin'8
PP-ASEL

Larry Dighera
April 30th 07, 06:30 PM
http://www.faa.gov/data_statistics/accident_incident/preliminary_data/events01/media/01_97287.txt
** Report created 4/30/2007 Record 1 **

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 97287 Make/Model: C182 Description: 182, Skylane
Date: 04/29/2007 Time: 1645

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing:
Damage: Substantial

LOCATION
City: CARLSBAD State: CA Country: US

DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT CRASHED INTO THE OCEAN UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, THE
THREE
PERSONS ON BOARD WERE FATALLY INJURED, CARLSBAD, CA

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 3
# Crew: 1 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:
# Pass: 2 Fat: 2 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:

WEATHER: 00000KT 2 1/2 SM BR OVC005 15/13 A3002

OTHER DATA
Activity: Pleasure Phase: Unknown Operation: OTHER

Departed: CARLSBAD, CA Dep Date: Dep. Time:
Destination: CHANDLER, AZ Flt Plan: IFR Wx
Briefing:
Last Radio Cont:
Last Clearance:

FAA FSDO: SAN DIEGO, CA (WP09) Entry date:
04/30/2007

Larry Dighera
April 30th 07, 06:42 PM
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/04/30/news/coastal/42907122532.txt
Two killed, one missing after plane crashes off of Carlsbad coast

By: SARAH WILKINS and PAUL SISSON - Staff Writers

CARLSBAD ---- A four-seat Cessna airplane crashed off the coast of
Carlsbad shortly after taking off from McClellan-Palomar Airport
Sunday morning, killing two female passengers and leaving a third male
passenger missing, authorities said.

The San Diego County Medical Examiner's office did not release the
names of the dead or missing by late Sunday night. According to data
from the Federal Aviation Administration, the Cessna was registered to
a man named Leroy F. Kochert, who has a Phoenix address.

A Coast Guard crew suspended its search for the missing passenger at 6
p.m. Sunday, and the crash is under investigation by the National
Transportation Safety Board, officials said. Calls to the home of a
Leroy Kochert in Phoenix went unanswered Sunday.

A spokesman with the Federal Aviation Administration said the plane, a
propeller-driven Cessna model 182Q built in 1979, left
McClellan-Palomar Airport at 9:45 a.m., headed west, then crashed into
the ocean at approximately 9:50 a.m. The crash occurred in deep water
about one mile from shore.

An FAA spokesman said he would not speculate about the cause of the
crash. Weather officials said a heavy marine layer blanketed the coast
at the time of the crash.

Coast Guard officials and local lifeguards from Oceanside, Carlsbad,
Solana Beach and Encinitas said boaters saw the plane go down and
reported the accident to emergency personnel.

"I don't know if they heard (the distress call) over the radio, but
three or four (boaters) saw the plane go down," said Petty Officer
Anastasia Devlin, Coast Guard spokeswoman. The Coast Guard did not
receive a mayday call, she added.

Dave Wagner, seasonal supervisor of Oceanside's lifeguard department,
said Sunday that he arrived at the wreck about 10 minutes after it was
reported.

"The first thing we noticed was the debris," he said. "There were
wheels and parts of the fuselage and personal items floating in the
water. It was pretty horrific to see," Wagner said.

Encinitas lifeguard Capt. Larry Giles said lifeguard Lt. Paul Chapman
and senior lifeguard Joe Gaydos were the first to arrive at the crash
site.

"They were able to grab two of the deceased," and put them aboard a
fishing vessel that had arrived at the site of the crash, Giles said.

Chapman assessed the victims and pronounced them both dead, Giles
said.

Though the wreckage sunk deep into the water, the crash left a field
of debris floating in the area, including a wallet and flight log
recovered by authorities, Giles said.

"Apparently for a while, (the plane was) submerged, then debris
started floating up," he said.

News of the crash sent three lifeguards scrambling from the Solana
Beach lifeguard station at Fletcher Cove.

April 30th 07, 07:55 PM
On Apr 30, 12:42 pm, Larry Dighera > wrote:
> http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/04/30/news/coastal/42907122532.txt
> Two killed, one missing after plane crashes off of Carlsbad coast
>
> By: SARAH WILKINS and PAUL SISSON - Staff Writers
>
> CARLSBAD ---- A four-seat Cessna airplane crashed off the coast of
> Carlsbad shortly after taking off from McClellan-Palomar Airport
> Sunday morning, killing two female passengers and leaving a third male
> passenger missing, authorities said.
>
> The San Diego County Medical Examiner's office did not release the
> names of the dead or missing by late Sunday night. According to data
> from the Federal Aviation Administration, the Cessna was registered to
> a man named Leroy F. Kochert, who has a Phoenix address.
>
> A Coast Guard crew suspended its search for the missing passenger at 6
> p.m. Sunday, and the crash is under investigation by the National
> Transportation Safety Board, officials said. Calls to the home of a
> Leroy Kochert in Phoenix went unanswered Sunday.
>
> A spokesman with the Federal Aviation Administration said the plane, a
> propeller-driven Cessna model 182Q built in 1979, left
> McClellan-Palomar Airport at 9:45 a.m., headed west, then crashed into
> the ocean at approximately 9:50 a.m. The crash occurred in deep water
> about one mile from shore.

West ??? Quicky trip to Kona ? Hmm, marine layer, Northerly Island has
those some days...JG

April 30th 07, 08:12 PM
> West ??? Quicky trip to Kona ? Hmm, marine layer, Northerly Island has
> those some days...JG

Palomar Airport is next to the coast. 99% of the time you depart toward
the coast and do a right or left turn at the coast line. It was certaily
overcast yesterday. I intended to head out that way, but once in the air I
could tell it was socked in within 10 miles from the coast. It remained
that way until at least 1pm from what I could tell.

--
Mike Flyin'8
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
http://flying.4alexanders.com

Larry Dighera
April 30th 07, 09:22 PM
On 30 Apr 2007 19:12:12 GMT, wrote in
>:

>It was certaily overcast yesterday.

So it seems.

Three minutes after the reported time of the accident (0950 local) the
National Weather Service observation indicate visibility at KCRQ was 4
SM in haze with the bottom of the overcast at 700' AGL.

The FAA preliminary report
<http://www.faa.gov/data_statistics/accident_incident/preliminary_data/events01/media/01_97287.txt>
indicates that this was the weather condition at the time: 00000KT 2
1/2 SM BR OVC005 15/13 A3002. I have no explanation for the
discrepancies between the two.

Here's a link to a National Weather Service running history of the
observed weather at KCRQ:
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=lox&sid=KCRQ&num=168&raw=0

Below is a (poorly formatted) snapshot of the weather immediately
preceding and following the mishap:

Time Temp. Dew Relative Wind Wind Visibility WX Clouds Sea Level
Altimeter Station 6 Hr 6 Hr 24 Hr 24 Hr Quality
Point Humidity Direction Speed Pressure Setting Pressure Max Min
Max Min Control
(PDT) (f) (f) (%) (mph) (miles) (mb) (inches) (inches) Temp Temp
Temp Temp

29 Apr 11:53 am 61 55 81 SW 5 5.00 HZ OVC009 1015.9 30.00 29.655 OK
29 Apr 10:53 am 59 54 82 WSW 5 4.00 HZ OVC007 1016.2 30.02 29.675 60
58 OK
29 Apr 10:13 am 61 54 77 W 3 4.00 HZ OVC007 30.02 29.675 OK
29 Apr 9:53 am 59 54 82 CALM 4.00 HZ OVC007 1016.0 30.01 29.665 OK
29 Apr 8:53 am 59 55 88 VRBL 3 3.00 BR OVC005 1016.0 30.01 29.665 OK
29 Apr 8:13 am 57 54 88 CALM 3.00 BR OVC005 30.01 29.665 OK
29 Apr 7:53 am 58 55 90 CALM 2.50 BR OVC005 1015.8 30.00 29.655 OK

Mxsmanic
April 30th 07, 10:15 PM
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N97287

Mxsmanic
April 30th 07, 10:18 PM
Larry Dighera writes:

> Three minutes after the reported time of the accident (0950 local) the
> National Weather Service observation indicate visibility at KCRQ was 4
> SM in haze with the bottom of the overcast at 700' AGL.

The flight was IFR. Wind calm, icing not a factor ... weather should not have
been a factor. Routing was JLI V458 IPL CGZ, filed altitude 9000.

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
April 30th 07, 10:55 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Larry Dighera writes:
>
>> Three minutes after the reported time of the accident (0950 local)
>> the National Weather Service observation indicate visibility at KCRQ
>> was 4 SM in haze with the bottom of the overcast at 700' AGL.
>
> The flight was IFR. Wind calm, icing not a factor ... weather should
> not have been a factor.

How th efjukk woudl you know, you don't fly.

Bertie

Larry Dighera
May 1st 07, 12:13 AM
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 23:18:29 +0200, Mxsmanic >
wrote in >:

>Larry Dighera writes:
>
>> Three minutes after the reported time of the accident (0950 local) the
>> National Weather Service observation indicate visibility at KCRQ was 4
>> SM in haze with the bottom of the overcast at 700' AGL.
>
>The flight was IFR. Wind calm, icing not a factor ... weather should not have
>been a factor. Routing was JLI V458 IPL CGZ, filed altitude 9000.

Thanks for the additional information and cited source.

Here's some more:

FAA Registry
N-Number Inquiry Results

N97287 is Assigned

Aircraft Description

Serial Number 18267043 Type Registration Co-Owner
Manufacturer Name CESSNA Certificate Issue Date 04/25/2003
Model 182Q Status Valid
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating
Pending Number Change None Dealer No
Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code 53307243
MFR Year 1979 Fractional Owner NO

Registered Owner

Name XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX TRUSTEE
Street XXXXX S 41ST PL
City PHOENIX State ARIZONA Zip Code 85044-4662
County MARICOPA
Country UNITED STATES

Airworthiness

Engine Manufacturer CONT MOTOR Classification Standard
Engine Model O-470 SERIES Category Normal

A/W Date 06/08/1979

Other Owner Names

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX TRUSTEE

Temporary Certificate

None

Fuel Modifications

None

Mxsmanic
May 1st 07, 02:03 AM
No need to block out the owner's name, as it's public record and has already
been given in the press. The owner was a private pilot with an instrument
rating; no word yet on whether or not he was PIC or PF when the accident
occurred.

Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]
May 1st 07, 03:45 AM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> No need to block out the owner's name, as it's public record and has
> already been given in the press. The owner was a private pilot with
> an instrument rating; no word yet on whether or not he was PIC or PF
> when the accident occurred.

You are an idiot.

Bertie

Google