PDA

View Full Version : OSH 2007 Parties -- You're all invited!

Jay Honeck
May 15th 07, 03:17 AM
You're invited to not one, but TWO Oshkosh parties!

That's right, TWO Oshkosh blow-outs, organized just for pilots and
their guests. Check 'em out:

1. ** 5th Annual Pre-Oshkosh Fly-In Pool Party **
Each year, on the Saturday before OSH, we host a fly-in pool party at
our aviation theme-suite hotel, located next to Rwy 25 in Iowa City,
IA (KIOW).

Located just 1:21 southwest of OSH, Iowa City is the perfect "staging
area" for your arrival into Oshkosh. You do NOT want to do the FISK
approach at the end of a long cross country, so spend the night with
us and arrive at the show fresh after a short, <90 minute flight.
Mary and I will serve up food (brats, burgers, hot dogs, chips, potato
salad, etc.), beverages (GOOD beer, wine, pop), music and fun -- all
at poolside, and all FREE.

We've done this every year since we opened as our way of saying
"Thanks!" to the pilot community for another great year! It's become
an annual tradition, and a guaranteed good time is had by all.

This year the Pre-OSH festivies will be held on Saturday, July 21st.
Whether you spend the night, or simply stop in for a bite to eat,
we'll be there for ya!

(We still have some availability, as I'm typing this. See www.AlexisParkInn.com
for up-to-the-minute availability. And BTW: If you want to pitch your
tent, no problem -- camp on our property, with our best wishes!)

Then, on Sunday morning (not *too* early), we'll all fly into the "Big
Show" together in a loose gaggle. Most years we have from three to
six aircraft in the group, and we usually manage to get parked
reasonably close together in the North 40 -- which makes the *next*
party all the more fun!

2. ** 5th Annual Rec.Aviation North 40 H.O.P.S. Party! **
For the fifth year in a row, we will be hosting the annual
rec.aviation H.O.P.S. (Homebuilt, Owning, Piloting, Student) party at
our campsite in the North 40 aircraft camping area at Oshkosh. As in
prior years, the party will be held on Wednesday (July 25th) starting
right after the airshow.

Admission is a 6-pack of GOOD beer. Points are awarded if you can't
see through it; extra points are added if it's a microbrew from your
home base!

Wine is acceptable, but only if you are willing to dance on Atlas'
wing... (As in this now-famous photo, from the 2003 rec.aviation
party:
http://tinyurl.com/yzao2d :-)

This group's own Jim Burns, Montblack, and Jack Allison will be
coordinating food at the event, which was attended by over 40
newsgroup mavens last year. (See pix from the 2006 party here:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/wed_-_north_40_party.htm )

Given the difficulty of obtaining beer on the AirVenture grounds, and
to help offset the cost of food this year, a PayPal account has been
set up for donations. To send money all you have to do is go to
www.PayPal.com and click "Send Money". When it asks for the email
address to send the money to, enter Any donation
is appreciated, and Jim or Montblack will make the beer runs for
you! (And I can vouch for their EXCELLENT taste in beers, BTW. :-)

This event has grown each year, and 2007 ought to be another one for
the books! To find our campsite (and, thus, the party) all you need
to do is go to one of the EAA booths at the entrance to the camping
area, and give them our "N" number (N56993). They will vector you to
the party from there!

So there you have it, ladies and gents -- you're all invited to TWO
parties this OSH -- and we hope to see you there!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Morgans[_2_]
May 15th 07, 04:02 AM
"Jay Honeck" <> wrote

> To find our campsite (and, thus, the party) all you need
> to do is go to one of the EAA booths at the entrance to the camping
> area, and give them our "N" number (N56993). They will vector you to
> the party from there!

A WORD OF CAUTION, about finding the plane, by stopping by the booth at the
camping area:

DO NOT wait until after the airshow is over to find the location at the
booth.

The booth WILL BE CLOSED, and you will not be able to get the location of
Jay's plane!

Don't ask me how I know this! <g>
--
Jim in NC

Michelle P
May 15th 07, 05:07 AM
Jay,
Love to come, can't unless you have a really large forest fire near by.

Michelle

Morgans[_2_]
May 15th 07, 05:29 AM
"Michelle P" < wrote

> Jay,
> Love to come, can't unless you have a really large forest fire near by.

I'm sure that could be accommodated, but then you would be too busy to
party! <g>
--
Jim in NC

RST Engineering
May 15th 07, 03:43 PM
Forest? How do you set 50,000 acres of corn on fire?

Jim

"Michelle P" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Jay,
> Love to come, can't unless you have a really large forest fire near by.
>
> Michelle

Jim Burns[_2_]
May 15th 07, 03:53 PM
You'd need napalm... lots of napalm, especially in July!
I thought there was a forest fire up near Duluth, MN... is that close
enough?
Jim Burns

"RST Engineering" > wrote in message
> Forest? How do you set 50,000 acres of corn on fire?
>
> Jim
>

> "Michelle P" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> > Jay,
> > Love to come, can't unless you have a really large forest fire near by.
> >
> > Michelle

Mark T. Dame
May 15th 07, 04:02 PM
RST Engineering wrote:
> Forest? How do you set 50,000 acres of corn on fire?

With some vegetable oil and a little butter and salt? Mmmmm...fresh
popcorn.

(-:

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame >
## CP-ASEL, AGI

Jay Honeck
May 15th 07, 06:57 PM
> A WORD OF CAUTION, about finding the plane, by stopping by the booth at the
> camping area:
> DO NOT wait until after the airshow is over to find the location at the
> booth.
> The booth WILL BE CLOSED, and you will not be able to get the location of
> Jay's plane!
> Don't ask me how I know this! <g>

Good point, Jim -- and it's one I had forgotten. EAA closes the
camping area check-in booths when the airshow starts. You will either
have to scout our location beforehand, or figure out a way to get
vectors from this newsgroup (someone usually posts our locale during
the week).

Don't even TRY to find the party by "taking a stroll through the North
40", as some folks did last year. Unless you are very lucky, indeed,
you will literally walk MILES before you find us -- if you ever do!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Steve Foley
May 15th 07, 07:01 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> Don't even TRY to find the party by "taking a stroll through the North
> 40", as some folks did last year. Unless you are very lucky, indeed,
> you will literally walk MILES before you find us -- if you ever do!

Jay, could you hoist an RA H.O.P.S flag or banner that would be visible from
the end of the row? It would give people something to look for.

"Oshkosh Traffic, Cherokee is doing a low pass over the north 40, looking
for a party."

Someone already put in for that week off, so I'm not going (again).

Jay Honeck
May 15th 07, 07:07 PM
> Jay, could you hoist an RA H.O.P.S flag or banner that would be visible from
> the end of the row? It would give people something to look for.

Great idea! Any flag-makers in the group?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

John Clear
May 15th 07, 07:14 PM
In article . com>,
Jay Honeck > wrote:
>> Jay, could you hoist an RA H.O.P.S flag or banner that would be visible from
>> the end of the row? It would give people something to look for.
>
>Great idea! Any flag-makers in the group?

Getting a flag high enough to be seen from a good distance might
be tough, but a few helium balloons could easily be raised high
enough to be visible. Probably easier to fit a few mylar balloons
and some rope in Atlas then a bunch of lengths of flag pole.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

RST Engineering
May 15th 07, 07:40 PM
Go over to Piggly Wiggly or Target, or whoever is in the shopping mall
across from Tuck's. Get two or three "happy birthday" helium balloons. Tie
them to Atlas' prop with a hundred feet or so of thread or very light
string.

Jim

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Don't even TRY to find the party by "taking a stroll through the North
> 40", as some folks did last year. Unless you are very lucky, indeed,
> you will literally walk MILES before you find us -- if you ever do!
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Steve Foley
May 15th 07, 07:40 PM
"John Clear" > wrote in message
> In article . com>,
> Jay Honeck > wrote:
>>> Jay, could you hoist an RA H.O.P.S flag or banner that would be visible
>>> from
>>> the end of the row? It would give people something to look for.
>>
>>Great idea! Any flag-makers in the group?
>
> Getting a flag high enough to be seen from a good distance might
> be tough, but a few helium balloons could easily be raised high
> enough to be visible. Probably easier to fit a few mylar balloons
> and some rope in Atlas then a bunch of lengths of flag pole.

It doesn't need to be too high. Only higher than the planes around it. You
only need to see it from the end of the row. You could pull Atlas a little
forward so the prop is out in the taxiway and hang a flag from the prop.

Steve Foley
May 15th 07, 07:43 PM
"RST Engineering" > wrote in message
> Go over to Piggly Wiggly or Target, or whoever is in the shopping mall
> across from Tuck's. Get two or three "happy birthday" helium balloons.
> Tie them to Atlas' prop with a hundred feet or so of thread or very light
> string.
>
> Jim

That could get ugly if the wind kicks up.

Jose
May 15th 07, 07:52 PM
> Tie them to Atlas' prop with a
> hundred feet or so of thread or very light
> string.

Considering the airshow occuring right nearby, that's probably a Very
Bad Idea.

How about using radios? Agree on a frequency and monitor it.

Jose
--
Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no universe.

RST Engineering
May 15th 07, 08:09 PM
So shorten the string. Sheesh, don't y'all ever modify things as conditions
require? Besides, a flag on a pole is a hell of a lot uglier when the pole
snaps and drives itself through the windshield. Balloons bounce, poles
don't.

Jim

"Steve Foley" > wrote in message
> "RST Engineering" > wrote in message
>> Go over to Piggly Wiggly or Target, or whoever is in the shopping mall
>> across from Tuck's. Get two or three "happy birthday" helium balloons.
>> Tie them to Atlas' prop with a hundred feet or so of thread or very light
>> string.
>>
>> Jim
>
> That could get ugly if the wind kicks up.

RST Engineering
May 15th 07, 08:12 PM
You ever been to Oshkosh, Jose? The airshow aerobatic box is a good half a
mile to a mile east of the north 40. If somebody is coming over the north
40 at a hundred feet or so, something terribly wrong has happened and a
couple of balloons in the way isn't going to make a hell of a lot of
difference.

You could fly them at **50** feet and still be plainly visible. At that
rate, they are going to take out a telephone pole along the side of the
field WAY before they plow through some one mil mylar.

Jim

"Jose" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Tie them to Atlas' prop with a
>> hundred feet or so of thread or very light string.
>
> Considering the airshow occuring right nearby, that's probably a Very Bad
> Idea.
>
> How about using radios? Agree on a frequency and monitor it.
>
> Jose
> --
> Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
> except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no
> universe.
> for Email, make the obvious change in the address.

Steve Foley
May 15th 07, 08:21 PM
"RST Engineering" > wrote in message
> So shorten the string. Sheesh, don't y'all ever modify things as
> conditions require? Besides, a flag on a pole is a hell of a lot uglier
> when the pole snaps and drives itself through the windshield. Balloons
> bounce, poles don't.
>
> Jim

From what I've heard, a few hours into the party nobody would be able to
find the string, let alone shorten it :)

Montblack
May 15th 07, 09:23 PM
(RST Engineering" wrote)
> You could fly them at **50** feet and still be plainly visible. At that
> rate, they are going to take out a telephone pole along the side of the
> field WAY before they plow through some one mil mylar.

So how about this:

Attach one end of a light-weight flagging banner to a telephone pole,
nearest Jay's row. The free end of the flagging banner could be held up by
dozens of helium balloons? Huh? Huh?

Wait, I've got more...

Jim Weir
Is the hangar space in Waupaca going to work out for you?

Montblack

Morgans[_2_]
May 15th 07, 09:29 PM
"RST Engineering" > wrote

> Forest? How do you set 50,000 acres of corn on fire?

<chuckle>

You DO have a point there. Although, I do think I remember seeing about 3
trees growing in a clump around a farm house, one time in Iowa! <g>
--
Jim in NC

RST Engineering
May 15th 07, 09:36 PM
You were right, he is REALLY a nice guy. I'm trying to wangle him some ink
in the magazine.

Jim

"Montblack" > wrote in message

> Jim Weir
> Is the hangar space in Waupaca going to work out for you?
>

> Montblack

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe
May 15th 07, 10:02 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> You're invited to not one, but TWO Oshkosh parties!
>
> That's right, TWO Oshkosh blow-outs, organized just for pilots and
> their guests. Check 'em out:
<...>
> Given the difficulty of obtaining beer on the AirVenture grounds, and
> to help offset the cost of food this year, a PayPal account has been
> set up for donations. To send money all you have to do is go to
> www.PayPal.com and click "Send Money". When it asks for the email
> address to send the money to, enter Any donation
> is appreciated, and Jim or Montblack will make the beer runs for
> you! (And I can vouch for their EXCELLENT taste in beers, BTW. :-)

For those who read this via Google Groups where email addresses are not
properly displayed for reasons that are not clear to me... that would be
N40HOPS at gmail dot com.

eh?

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Montblack
May 15th 07, 10:16 PM
("Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" wrote)
>> Given the difficulty of obtaining beer on the AirVenture grounds, and
>> to help offset the cost of food this year, a PayPal account has been
>> set up for donations. To send money all you have to do is go to
>> www.PayPal.com and click "Send Money". When it asks for the email
>> address to send the money to, enter Any donation
>> is appreciated, and Jim or Montblack will make the beer runs for
>> you! (And I can vouch for their EXCELLENT taste in beers, BTW. :-)

> For those who read this via Google Groups where email addresses are not
> properly displayed for reasons that are not clear to me... that would be
> N40HOPS at gmail dot com.
>
> eh?

Yup.

To send money go to: www.PayPal.com and click "Send Money".

Then enter:

N40 HOPS at g mail dot com ........(No spaces)

Montblack

Margy Natalie
May 16th 07, 04:49 AM
Jose wrote:
>> Tie them to Atlas' prop with a
>> hundred feet or so of thread or very light string.
>

> Considering the airshow occuring right nearby, that's probably a Very
> Bad Idea.
>
> How about using radios? Agree on a frequency and monitor it.
>
> Jose
Damned, all I did when I discovered I had NO IDEA what Jay's tail number
was and I'd left the papers I'd carefully prepared at home, was to call
the hotel and talk the person at the desk out of Jay's cell phone
number. Now, if I'd only put that in the memory, I'd be ok!

Margy

Jay, you better warn your desk folks :-)

Jay Honeck
May 16th 07, 05:01 AM
> > Forest? How do you set 50,000 acres of corn on fire?
>
> <chuckle>
>
> You DO have a point there. Although, I do think I remember seeing about 3
> trees growing in a clump around a farm house, one time in Iowa! <g>

You guys kill me. There are whole forests here, and lakes, and big
(well, okay, not that big) hills, and some pretty nice river
valleys.

But that's okay -- before I moved here in '97, I thought everyone in
Iowa sat on the front porch playing the banjo...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Montblack
May 16th 07, 05:27 AM
("Jay Honeck" wrote)
> But that's okay -- before I moved here in '97, I thought everyone in Iowa
> sat on the front porch playing the banjo...

Wrong state!

Wrong movie!

Sheez! <g>

http://www.garyrog.50megs.com/midi/duelingbanjos.mid

Great site!
http://www.garyrog.50megs.com/midi1.html

Montblack :-)
http://www.garyrog.50megs.com/midi/actnaturally.mid

Michelle P
May 16th 07, 05:27 AM
Morgans wrote:
> "Michelle P" < wrote
>

>>Jay,
>>Love to come, can't unless you have a really large forest fire near by.
>

> I'm sure that could be accommodated, but then you would be too busy to
> party! <g>
We don't fly fires at night, usually.

Michelle

Michelle P
May 16th 07, 05:28 AM
RST Engineering wrote:
> Forest? How do you set 50,000 acres of corn on fire?
>
> Jim
>

> "Michelle P" > wrote in message
> link.net...
>
>>Jay,
>>Love to come, can't unless you have a really large forest fire near by.
>>
>>Michelle

Not sure but I can consult with the controlled burn folks and get back
to you ;-)

Michelle

Jack Allison
May 16th 07, 05:49 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> Don't even TRY to find the party by "taking a stroll through the North
> 40", as some folks did last year. Unless you are very lucky, indeed,
> you will literally walk MILES before you find us -- if you ever do!

Ha! Three years ago, I found you guys no sweat. Of course, I was
walking down the "outside" of each N-40 row and carefully looking for
anything that resembled your paint scheme. When I came around the bend
in the road, just before the area where they don't park planes, I just
about tripped on you guys.

When it gets closer to the event, we should post a thread where people
can reply with their N-numbers.

Hmmm, a little over two months away.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Jim Logajan
May 16th 07, 05:54 AM
Jay Honeck > wrote:
> You guys kill me. There are whole forests here, and lakes, and big
> (well, okay, not that big) hills, and some pretty nice river
> valleys.

And Iowa has mountains - just like Illinois!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzEmYn1XSRc

"That's one of my favorite mountains in Illinois back there."
- Tom Servo, MST3K

(And that's not all you see on that youtube selection - Peter Graves
enrolls at the University of Minnesota!

Oh - and beware the giant grasshoppers.)

Ron Wanttaja
May 16th 07, 06:01 AM
On 15 May 2007 21:01:54 -0700, Jay Honeck > wrote:

>You guys kill me. There are whole forests here, and lakes, and big
>(well, okay, not that big) hills, and some pretty nice river
>valleys.

Yeah, but if you shaved your back, that'd cut the acreage by about 50%. :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Ed Sullivan
May 16th 07, 08:12 AM
On Tue, 15 May 2007 15:23:48 -0500, "Montblack"
> wrote:

>(RST Engineering" wrote)
>> You could fly them at **50** feet and still be plainly visible. At that
>> rate, they are going to take out a telephone pole along the side of the
>> field WAY before they plow through some one mil mylar.
>

>So how about this:
>
>Attach one end of a light-weight flagging banner to a telephone pole,
>nearest Jay's row. The free end of the flagging banner could be held up by
>dozens of helium balloons? Huh? Huh?
>
>Wait, I've got more...
>
>Jim Weir
>Is the hangar space in Waupaca going to work out for you?
>

>Montblack

Go to a local QuickSign store and purchase an 18"x24' Cloroplast real
estate type sign and one of the wire stands and stick it in the grass
at the end of the row.

Morgans[_2_]
May 16th 07, 09:09 AM
"Margy Natalie" > wrote

> Damned, all I did when I discovered I had NO IDEA what Jay's tail number
> was and I'd left the papers I'd carefully prepared at home, was to call
> the hotel and talk the person at the desk out of Jay's cell phone number.
> Now, if I'd only put that in the memory, I'd be ok!

Yep, and you could just have punched Jay's tail number into your phone's
memory, too.

But that would be too easy. No scraps of paper to lose, that way! <g>
--
Jim in NC

Steve Foley[_2_]
May 16th 07, 11:10 AM
"Ed Sullivan" > wrote in message

> Go to a local QuickSign store and purchase an 18"x24' Cloroplast real
> estate type sign and one of the wire stands and stick it in the grass
> at the end of the row.

Ask Jim to bring a "Jim Weir for Governor" lawn sign and stick it in the
taxiway.

Michelle P
May 16th 07, 05:02 PM
Richard Riley wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2007 04:28:20 GMT, Michelle P
> > wrote:
>

>>RST Engineering wrote:
>>
>>>Forest? How do you set 50,000 acres of corn on fire?
>>>
>>>Jim
>>>

>>>"Michelle P" > wrote in message
link.net...

>>Not sure but I can consult with the controlled burn folks and get back
>>to you ;-)
>>
>>Michelle
>

> Michelle P, totally off topic, I heard that Gov. Swartzenegger ordered
> the forrest servcie to contract the DC-10 tanker. Do you know if it
> saw any action in Catalena?
He can order the DC-10 for the CDF Calif dept of Forestry. The US Forest
service refuses to use it. It cannot spot dump. It is only good for
laying in long, long retardant lines. The plane is not that maneuverable
as well. No something we do often and it is very very expensive to run.
about $30,000/ hr.

Michelle

RST Engineering
May 16th 07, 07:40 PM
What are you guys using for dumpers, Stoots or Stoofs? The two here at
Grass Valley were the first two S2Ts in California and they have just been
absolute workhorses.

You flying the dumpers or the spotter?

Jim

> He can order the DC-10 for the CDF Calif dept of Forestry. The US Forest
> service refuses to use it. It cannot spot dump. It is only good for laying
> in long, long retardant lines. The plane is not that maneuverable as well.
> No something we do often and it is very very expensive to run. about
> $30,000/ hr.
>
> Michelle

Michelle P
May 17th 07, 03:26 AM
RST Engineering wrote:
> What are you guys using for dumpers, Stoots or Stoofs? The two here at
> Grass Valley were the first two S2Ts in California and they have just been
> absolute workhorses.
>
> You flying the dumpers or the spotter?
>
> Jim
>

>>He can order the DC-10 for the CDF Calif dept of Forestry. The US Forest
>>service refuses to use it. It cannot spot dump. It is only good for laying
>>in long, long retardant lines. The plane is not that maneuverable as well.
>>No something we do often and it is very very expensive to run. about
>>$30,000/ hr.
>>
>>Michelle

The Forest Service uses P2V-7s and P-3s from private contractors. BT-3s
(DC-3s converted to Turbo props) and Sherpas for jump planes. King Air
C-90s for Lead Planes, King Airs, Sky Masters, 310s, Queen Airs, and
anything else for Air Attack. I fly Air Attack.. This are the
spotter/command platform.

Michelle

Peter Dohm
May 21st 07, 04:16 AM
"Steve Foley" > wrote in message
> "Ed Sullivan" > wrote in message
>
> > Go to a local QuickSign store and purchase an 18"x24' Cloroplast real
> > estate type sign and one of the wire stands and stick it in the grass
> > at the end of the row.
>
> Ask Jim to bring a "Jim Weir for Governor" lawn sign and stick it in the
> taxiway.

Those are both excellent and workable ideas, and I am sorry that I will not
be there to see how you all finally solve the problem.

Peter

John T[_1_]
May 26th 07, 12:45 AM
Hey...popcorn!!!

Jim Burns wrote:
> You'd need napalm... lots of napalm, especially in July!
> I thought there was a forest fire up near Duluth, MN... is that close
> enough?
> Jim Burns
>
> "RST Engineering" > wrote in message
>> Forest? How do you set 50,000 acres of corn on fire?
>>
>> Jim
>>

>> "Michelle P" > wrote in message
>> link.net...
>>> Jay,
>>> Love to come, can't unless you have a really large forest fire near by.
>>>
>>> Michelle

Jay Honeck
May 26th 07, 02:04 PM
> Hey...popcorn!!!

For a while I thought we'd have popcorn -- or at least a widespread
fire -- here in Iowa. However, after a week of high wind, low
humidity and high temps, the rains finally came and made everything
that beautiful "spring" shade of green once again.

I'm looking out my patio as I type this, and the greens are so
intense, it almost hurts. It sure does a soul good, after seeing
nothing but gray, black, and white from December through March.

There is simply no place I'd rather be than Iowa in the springtime.
God almighty, it is gorgeous...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

John Ousterhout[_2_]
May 26th 07, 02:26 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:
>> Hey...popcorn!!!
>
> For a while I thought we'd have popcorn -- or at least a widespread
> fire -- here in Iowa. However, after a week of high wind, low
> humidity and high temps, the rains finally came and made everything
> that beautiful "spring" shade of green once again.
>
> I'm looking out my patio as I type this, and the greens are so
> intense, it almost hurts. It sure does a soul good, after seeing
> nothing but gray, black, and white from December through March.
>
> There is simply no place I'd rather be than Iowa in the springtime.
> God almighty, it is gorgeous...

Remember that next month when it's 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity...
in between the thunderstorms :-)

- John (soon to be ex-Iowan) Ousterhout -

Jay Honeck
May 26th 07, 05:05 PM
> Remember that next month when it's 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity...
> in between the thunderstorms :-)

Funny you should mention T-storms. We have not had a single (not
one!) instance of severe weather here this spring.

Not even a tornado "watch", let alone warning. Very, very, VERY
unusual for Iowa in springtime. (Remember last May, and the tornado
that scrambled Iowa City?)

We're getting kind of an "all-day-rain" today, which we sorely needed,
but the weather has really been perfect all spring.

Personally, I don't mind flying in summertime thunderstorms, because
they are usually widely scattered and easy to circumnavigate. It's
the big frontal boundaries (like we're seeing today) that screw up
lots of stuff.

(Just took a cancellation a few minutes ago from a pilot in Allentown,
PA, thanks to this stupid front...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Tom Velvick
June 11th 07, 03:35 AM
On 14 May 2007 19:17:25 -0700, Jay Honeck > wrote:

>You're invited to not one, but TWO Oshkosh parties!
>
>That's right, TWO Oshkosh blow-outs, organized just for pilots and
>their guests. Check 'em out:
>
>1. ** 5th Annual Pre-Oshkosh Fly-In Pool Party **
>Each year, on the Saturday before OSH, we host a fly-in pool party at
>our aviation theme-suite hotel, located next to Rwy 25 in Iowa City,
>IA (KIOW).

Hi Jay,

The 5th Annual Pre-Oshkosh Fly-In Pool Party sounds like a blast!
RV4chick and I will be staying at your hotel that Saturday before
going on to Oshkosh Sunday morning. Any tricks or things we need to
know to get from the airport to the hotel?

Regards,
Tom Velvick
N53KT RV4
N7053L RV4 (RV4chicks)
RV-6a finishing

Montblack
June 11th 07, 06:36 AM
("Tom Velvick" wrote)
> The 5th Annual Pre-Oshkosh Fly-In Pool Party sounds like a blast!
> RV4chick and I will be staying at your hotel that Saturday before going on
> to Oshkosh Sunday morning. Any tricks or things we need to know to get
> from the airport to the hotel?

The pool party is just on the other side of an airport fence - a fence that
needs to be dealt with.

You're going to have to either:

Go over it - Steve McQueen style

Go through it - William Holden style

Go under it - Charles Bronson style

If all else fails, you call UNICOM and someone from the hotel will drive the
97 seconds over to the airport and pick you up. They're actually quite good
at that.

Montblack

Matt Whiting
June 11th 07, 11:53 AM
Montblack wrote:
> ("Tom Velvick" wrote)
>> The 5th Annual Pre-Oshkosh Fly-In Pool Party sounds like a blast!
>> RV4chick and I will be staying at your hotel that Saturday before going on
>> to Oshkosh Sunday morning. Any tricks or things we need to know to get
>> from the airport to the hotel?
>

> The pool party is just on the other side of an airport fence - a fence that
> needs to be dealt with.
>
> You're going to have to either:
>
> Go over it - Steve McQueen style
>
> Go through it - William Holden style
>
> Go under it - Charles Bronson style
>
> If all else fails, you call UNICOM and someone from the hotel will drive the
> 97 seconds over to the airport and pick you up. They're actually quite good
> at that.

But where is the fun and challenge in calling for a ride? :-)

Matt

Wrong Lake
June 13th 07, 03:25 PM
On Jun 10, 10:36 pm, "Montblack" <Y4_NOT!...
> wrote:
> ("Tom Velvick" wrote)
>
> > The 5th Annual Pre-Oshkosh Fly-In Pool Party sounds like a blast!
> > RV4chick and I will be staying at your hotel that Saturday before going on
> > to Oshkosh Sunday morning. Any tricks or things we need to know to get
> > from the airport to the hotel?
>
> The pool party is just on the other side of an airport fence - a fence that
> needs to be dealt with.
>
> You're going to have to either:
>
> Go over it - Steve McQueen style
>
> Go through it - William Holden style
>
> Go under it - Charles Bronson style
>
> If all else fails, you call UNICOM and someone from the hotel will drive the
> 97 seconds over to the airport and pick you up. They're actually quite good
> at that.
>
> Montblack

Ok we will try over the fence - Steve McQueen style
Hopefully it wont turn into an Oops-a-daisy re Hugh Grant in Notting
Hill
Regards and thanks,
Tom Velvick

RST Engineering
June 13th 07, 04:29 PM
Why don'cha just play the game the rest of us do and hop a ride from Jay?
Hopping airport fences these days is like to get you a visit from the local
cops.

Besides, as I recall, the fence on that side is an 8' cyclone fence with
those sharp little barbie things on the top that snag the lowest part of
your anatomy as you go over, if you get my drift.

Jim

--
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
--James Dean

"Wrong Lake" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Ok we will try over the fence - Steve McQueen style
> Hopefully it wont turn into an Oops-a-daisy re Hugh Grant in Notting
> Hill
> Regards and thanks,
> Tom Velvick

Wrong Lake
June 13th 07, 07:14 PM
On Jun 13, 8:29 am, "RST Engineering" > wrote:
> Why don'cha just play the game the rest of us do and hop a ride from Jay?
> Hopping airport fences these days is like to get you a visit from the local
> cops.
>
> Besides, as I recall, the fence on that side is an 8' cyclone fence with
> those sharp little barbie things on the top that snag the lowest part of
> your anatomy as you go over, if you get my drift.
>
> Jim
>
> --
> "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
> --James Dean
>
> "Wrong Lake" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > Ok we will try over the fence - Steve McQueen style
> > Hopefully it wont turn into an Oops-a-daisy re Hugh Grant in Notting
> > Hill
> > Regards and thanks,
> > Tom Velvick

Will do, Jim. Just joking about climbing the the fence.

Regards,
Tom Velvick

Montblack
June 13th 07, 08:45 PM
("Wrong Lake" wrote)
> Will do, Jim. Just joking about climbing the the fence.

Who said anything about ....."climbing" the fence? :-)

http://www.stevemcqueen.org.uk/Lobby/10Escape/A4.jpeg

http://www.stevemcqueen.org.uk/Lobby/10Escape/Re7.jpeg

P-Mont

Wrong Lake
June 20th 07, 07:46 PM
On Jun 13, 12:45 pm, "Montblack" <Y4_NOT!...
> wrote:
> ("Wrong Lake" wrote)
>
> > Will do, Jim. Just joking about climbing the the fence.
>
> Who said anything about ....."climbing" the fence? :-)
>
> http://www.stevemcqueen.org.uk/Lobby/10Escape/A4.jpeg
>
> http://www.stevemcqueen.org.uk/Lobby/10Escape/Re7.jpeg
>
> P-Mont

You are correct sir, but since I dont think I can get up enough
forward momentum and lift with my folding bike while carrying my wife
to make it over this barbed wire barriert, <G> I resorted to feeble
humor about climbing the fence.

Regards,
Tom Velvick

Montblack
June 21st 07, 07:17 AM
("Wrong Lake" wrote)
> You are correct sir, but since I dont think I can get up enough forward
> momentum and lift with my folding bike while carrying my wife to make it
> over this barbed wire barriert, <G> I resorted to feeble humor about
> climbing the fence.

Capt. Hilts encountered (somewhat) the same problem.

Paul-Mont
"The Cooler King"

Google