PDA

View Full Version : Cordele, Georgia, Report Saturday 19 May 07

Ray Lovinggood
May 20th 07, 02:25 AM
It's a wrap and scores are on the SSA web page.
Winners:
18m: John Murray
15m: Skip Pate
Standard: Dave Springford
Sports: Sam Giltner

What a contest! Thursday was the only day we didn't
fly and the days we did fly, most of them, were really
nice days. Today, we had some clouds and some blue,
with tops of thermals around 6,500', plus or minus.

The day started cool and many could be seen digging
into their cars for sweaters in the early hours at
the airfield. Winds were brisk at 10, gusting to 15
right down runway 05. The sky was blue. When Ray
gave the weather report, I was surprised. The dew
point was going to be 10 degrees F. lower today than
it was yesterday and the air temp was going to be about
the same. Since yesterday was very nice, today was
going to shape up even nicer. Except for the forecast
of 'blue.' Between the time we pushed the gliders
out to the grid until the noon grid time, the winds
died to 'light and variable' and the temps rose. Sweaters
disappeared.

Ray Galloway, the sniffer, was launched soon followed
by guest Dave Stevenson flying his Elfe. Even with
blue skies, they contacted lift fairly early and the
CD began launching the fleet. We were down to four
towplanes today as two had to leave to be at their
home fields for the weekend. Sports Class was at the
back of the grid again, but I didn't really notice
a slower launching sequence with two fewer tugs. The
tow pilots did an excellent job of getting us up.
It was an all Pawnee fleet doing the grunt work.

As I was awaiting the Sports Class gate to open, sniffer/weatherma
n Ray Galloway called to the CD that there were 'mirages'
in the sky. Sort of shaped like cu's. Soon, there
were more and more mirages. Not as many as yesterday,
but welcome all the same. I'll estimate they covered
between 10 and 20 percent of the sky in the east and
south quadrants while the west and north remained mirage
free.

Even in the blue, lift was available, strong, and tall.
When you found it.

I don't know if everyone made it back. I saw the empty
Blanik trailer hooked up to a truck as I was trying
to tidy up things. So, maybe the Blanik finally got
sucked down. I don't know. But let me say that the
pilot, Nick Wirz, is one good pilot. Let's just hope
he get's into something with flaps, as he desired (I
reminded him the L-13 has flaps) and moves out of Sports
Class!

For those who've never been to Cordele, may I suggest
you put this on your calendar. Our weather has been
great, the flying has been fantastic, and the territory,
most of it, is very forgiving for outlandings. But
be warned: When you hammer in your tie-down stakes,
bring explosives to get them out!

Signing off from Cordele, Georgia.

Ray Lovinggood
Your 7th place finisher (woo-hoo!) in Sports Class

Google