Don Pyeatt
May 26th 07, 12:12 PM
Armament appears to be a 12 gauge.

Rod Out Back
May 27th 07, 12:56 AM
"Don Pyeatt" > wrote in message
> Armament appears to be a 12 gauge.

Looks like he's the pilot as well!

Shotgun looks like a modified A5 Browning 12 gauge shotgun. Looks like an
extension to the (normally 4-shot)mag-tube; probably 10 rounds??

The Browning A5 is a recoil-operated semi-auto, and can produce some pretty
tight patterns with a full-choke barrel. I shot a feral pig(Years ago) with
ours using SG ammo at about 20 yards, and the pattern barely spanned 6
inches on the pig.

Our A5 was one of the first production run, and I think it was made just
after 1900. However, I think that ribbing along the top of the barrel is
some years later in the evolution of the A5.

No doubt I could be wrong, but that receiver looks suspiciously similar to
ours, and it would make sense to have a semi-auto if possible for that sort
of work...
You could probably do some serious damage if you were using the right ammo,
and were close enough!

I wonder if it was being used for air-to-air work, or ground attack. Air to
air makes more sense, as you would be pretty exposed getting low enough to
do any damage to ground forces. I wonder if he was excited the day they
upgraded him to a machine-gun??

An interesting pic!

midpoint37
May 28th 07, 08:12 AM
The airplane might be a Curtiss Junior (mid thirties) and the targets might
be wolves on which there was a bounty back then.
"Don Pyeatt" > wrote in message
> Armament appears to be a 12 gauge.

Morgan Groves
May 29th 07, 10:06 PM
So what was the Queen doing hanging out with bounty hunters? ;)

May 30th 07, 07:15 AM
I concur, please ignore my woody pusher stupidity

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Paul Elliot
May 31st 07, 05:57 PM
Don Pyeatt wrote:
> Armament appears to be a 12 gauge.

Looks like a Browning Model 5 auto-loader. Cool for goose hunting in the
air!

--
Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics
German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics
French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by Italians.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/paul1cart/albums/

Google