PDA

View Full Version : wing materials options

rektide
June 1st 07, 07:59 PM
hello,

i've just started buying & building relatively small rc planes, but
i've started wanting to build more accurate wings for some of my
increasingly larger / higher aspect wing design, particularly wings
capable of holding fuel. i've concocted crude plans for framing, but
i am unsure what options are out there for building the wing surfaces
with. in particular, i am unused to thinking of my wing as a fuel
storage device, and do not know what materials would be appropriate
given this extra constraint. any pointers in the right direction, or
survey of options, they would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
rektide

June 8th 07, 09:12 PM
On Jun 1, 6:59 pm, rektide > wrote:
> hello,
>
> i've just started buying & building relatively small rc planes, but
> i've started wanting to build more accurate wings for some of my
> increasingly larger / higher aspect wing design, particularly wings
> capable of holding fuel. i've concocted crude plans for framing, but
> i am unsure what options are out there for building the wing surfaces
> with. in particular, i am unused to thinking of my wing as a fuel
> storage device, and do not know what materials would be appropriate
> given this extra constraint. any pointers in the right direction, or
> survey of options, they would be greatly appreciated.

Good dewaxed shellac is alcohol soluble but resistant to petroleum
based solvents and turpentine. If it does not soften in nitromethane
then it could be used to seal balsa wood, paper or cardboard to
make lightweight but fragile fuel cells.

Some epoxies may work that way too.

--

FF

Google