PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Using Hogwasher on a Mac?

Dudley Henriques[_2_]
June 9th 07, 03:58 PM
If anyone is using Hogwasher as their newsreader on a Mac, I could use
some advice on setting it up.
Dudley Henriques

Mike Beede
June 9th 07, 04:51 PM
In article >,
Dudley Henriques > wrote:

> If anyone is using Hogwasher as their newsreader on a Mac, I could use
> some advice on setting it up.

Can't help with that, but I can say that I've been using
MT-NewsWatcher on the Mac for several years (since Thoth
development quit) and am pleased with it. And it's free
free free.

Mike Beede

Roy Smith
June 9th 07, 05:18 PM
In article >,
Mike Beede > wrote:

> In article >,
> Dudley Henriques > wrote:
>
> > If anyone is using Hogwasher as their newsreader on a Mac, I could use
> > some advice on setting it up.
>
> Can't help with that, but I can say that I've been using
> MT-NewsWatcher on the Mac for several years (since Thoth
> development quit) and am pleased with it. And it's free
> free free.
>
> Mike Beede

I've been using MT-NewsWatcher for probably close to 10 years. I haven't
found anything better.

The one big annoyance is that when I got my latest machine (dual-core
MacBook Pro), it started exhibiting frequent but non-deterministic errors
on startup which I'm sure are due to some race condition in the ftp section
of the code which never exhibited itself on a uniprocessor.

I tried Hogwasher once and wasn't too impressed. I don't remember the
details of why, just that I didn't like it and went back to MT-NW.

Dudley Henriques[_2_]
June 9th 07, 05:56 PM
Mike Beede wrote:
> In article >,
> Dudley Henriques > wrote:
>
>> If anyone is using Hogwasher as their newsreader on a Mac, I could use
>> some advice on setting it up.
>
> Can't help with that, but I can say that I've been using
> MT-NewsWatcher on the Mac for several years (since Thoth
> development quit) and am pleased with it. And it's free
> free free.
>
> Mike Beede
Thanks Mike. I'll look into it.

Dudley Henriques[_2_]
June 9th 07, 05:56 PM
Roy Smith wrote:
> In article >,
> Mike Beede > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Dudley Henriques > wrote:
>>
>>> If anyone is using Hogwasher as their newsreader on a Mac, I could use
>>> some advice on setting it up.
>> Can't help with that, but I can say that I've been using
>> MT-NewsWatcher on the Mac for several years (since Thoth
>> development quit) and am pleased with it. And it's free
>> free free.
>>
>> Mike Beede
>
> I've been using MT-NewsWatcher for probably close to 10 years. I haven't
> found anything better.
>
> The one big annoyance is that when I got my latest machine (dual-core
> MacBook Pro), it started exhibiting frequent but non-deterministic errors
> on startup which I'm sure are due to some race condition in the ftp section
> of the code which never exhibited itself on a uniprocessor.
>
> I tried Hogwasher once and wasn't too impressed. I don't remember the
> details of why, just that I didn't like it and went back to MT-NW.
Thanks Roy. I'm checking it out.

rj
June 9th 07, 11:23 PM
On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 10:58:16 -0400, Dudley Henriques wrote
(in article >):

> If anyone is using Hogwasher as their newsreader on a Mac, I could use
> some advice on setting it up.
> Dudley Henriques

I'm using hogwasher, but I'm far from being an expert. I can try to give you
a hand with it.

I can't remember how I set it up, just sorta splashed around until I figured
it out.

Here's the basics...

1 - go to the "set-up" menu
2 - select "accounts"
3 - click the top left icon (hover the mouse pointer over that icon, a
caption should pop up that say's "new"...click it)
4 - select "news" for the account type, and click OK.
5 - fill in the news server info, and a user name (just type in your
name...or whatever you want to post under. I'm pretty sure this is just a
user name to post under)

I can't remember how to configure/import the newsgroups, but let me know if
you get the basics (above) set up and I'll refresh myself on the newsgroup
setup part. Hope this helps!

Dudley Henriques
June 10th 07, 12:32 AM
On 2007-06-09 18:23:44 -0400, rj > said:

> On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 10:58:16 -0400, Dudley Henriques wrote
> (in article >):
>
>> If anyone is using Hogwasher as their newsreader on a Mac, I could use
>> some advice on setting it up.
>> Dudley Henriques
>
> I'm using hogwasher, but I'm far from being an expert. I can try to give you
> a hand with it.
>
> I can't remember how I set it up, just sorta splashed around until I figured
> it out.
>
> Here's the basics...
>
> 1 - go to the "set-up" menu
> 2 - select "accounts"
> 3 - click the top left icon (hover the mouse pointer over that icon, a
> caption should pop up that say's "new"...click it)
> 4 - select "news" for the account type, and click OK.
> 5 - fill in the news server info, and a user name (just type in your
> name...or whatever you want to post under. I'm pretty sure this is just a
> user name to post under)
>
> I can't remember how to configure/import the newsgroups, but let me know if
> you get the basics (above) set up and I'll refresh myself on the newsgroup
> setup part. Hope this helps!

Thanks RJ. I appreciate the reply. As it happens in all the HW
confusion I downloaded and installed another reader called Unison. It
seems to be all right.
DH

Mike Beede
June 10th 07, 03:32 AM
In article >,
Roy Smith > wrote:

> The one big annoyance is that when I got my latest machine (dual-core
> MacBook Pro), it started exhibiting frequent but non-deterministic errors
> on startup which I'm sure are due to some race condition in the ftp section
> of the code which never exhibited itself on a uniprocessor.

I got a new version that fixed that problem. It was pretty much
unusable otherwise.

Mike Beede

Roy Smith
June 10th 07, 04:12 AM
In article >,
Mike Beede > wrote:

> In article >,
> Roy Smith > wrote:
>
> > The one big annoyance is that when I got my latest machine (dual-core
> > MacBook Pro), it started exhibiting frequent but non-deterministic errors
> > on startup which I'm sure are due to some race condition in the ftp section
> > of the code which never exhibited itself on a uniprocessor.
>
> I got a new version that fixed that problem. It was pretty much
> unusable otherwise.
>
> Mike Beede

I'm running 3.5.2. AFAICT, that's the latest. Is there something newer?

Bob Noel
June 10th 07, 04:18 AM
In article >,
Roy Smith > wrote:

> > > The one big annoyance is that when I got my latest machine (dual-core
> > > MacBook Pro), it started exhibiting frequent but non-deterministic errors
> > > on startup which I'm sure are due to some race condition in the ftp
> > > section
> > > of the code which never exhibited itself on a uniprocessor.
> >
> > I got a new version that fixed that problem. It was pretty much
> > unusable otherwise.
> >
> > Mike Beede
>
> I'm running 3.5.2. AFAICT, that's the latest. Is there something newer?

fwiw - the only problem I've had with MT-Newswatcher is when the filter
file got messed up. Deleting the filters made the problems go away.
(this on a dual processor G4).

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

tony roberts
June 10th 07, 04:41 AM
> If anyone is using Hogwasher as their newsreader on a Mac, I could use
> some advice on setting it up.
> Dudley Henriques

Like several others, I'm an MT Newswatcher fan.
Free and friendly - hey - I used to know a girl like that :) :) :)

Tony

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
VFR OTT
Night
Cessna 172H C-GICE

Morgans[_2_]
June 10th 07, 06:12 AM
"tony roberts" > wrote

> Like several others, I'm an MT Newswatcher fan.
> Free and friendly - hey - I used to know a girl like that :) :) :)

You married her, I hope.

Girls like that would be a change from most wedded arrangements. <g>
--
Jim in NC

Mike Beede
June 11th 07, 03:24 AM
In article >,
Roy Smith > wrote:

> In article >,
> Mike Beede > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Roy Smith > wrote:
> >
> > > The one big annoyance is that when I got my latest machine (dual-core
> > > MacBook Pro), it started exhibiting frequent but non-deterministic errors
> > > on startup which I'm sure are due to some race condition in the ftp section
> > > of the code which never exhibited itself on a uniprocessor.
> >
> > I got a new version that fixed that problem. It was pretty much
> > unusable otherwise.
> >
> > Mike Beede
>
> I'm running 3.5.2. AFAICT, that's the latest. Is there something newer?

Interestingly enough, when I try "about MT-NewsWatcher," I get an error
message. So, I'm apparently using a double-secret version. I remember
it was the first one that was available that ran natively on Intel instead
of in Rosetta. Makes me think I should *not* upgrade . . . .

The actual application file is 3944204 bytes.

Mike Beede

C J Campbell[_1_]
June 11th 07, 08:06 PM
On 2007-06-09 16:32:05 -0700, Dudley Henriques > said:

> On 2007-06-09 18:23:44 -0400, rj > said:
>
>> On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 10:58:16 -0400, Dudley Henriques wrote
>> (in article >):
>>
>>> If anyone is using Hogwasher as their newsreader on a Mac, I could use
>>> some advice on setting it up.
>>> Dudley Henriques
>>
>> I'm using hogwasher, but I'm far from being an expert. I can try to give you
>> a hand with it.
>>
>> I can't remember how I set it up, just sorta splashed around until I figured
>> it out.
>>
>> Here's the basics...
>>
>> 1 - go to the "set-up" menu
>> 2 - select "accounts"
>> 3 - click the top left icon (hover the mouse pointer over that icon, a
>> caption should pop up that say's "new"...click it)
>> 4 - select "news" for the account type, and click OK.
>> 5 - fill in the news server info, and a user name (just type in your
>> name...or whatever you want to post under. I'm pretty sure this is just a
>> user name to post under)
>>
>> I can't remember how to configure/import the newsgroups, but let me know if
>> you get the basics (above) set up and I'll refresh myself on the newsgroup
>> setup part. Hope this helps!
>
> Thanks RJ. I appreciate the reply. As it happens in all the HW
> confusion I downloaded and installed another reader called Unison. It
> seems to be all right.
> DH

I switched from the Hog to Unison a few months ago. They each do things
I wish the other did. Hogwasher has more powerful filtering capability,
although you can duplicate most of it by fiddling with Unison's
filtering controls.

I can't remember what it was I didn't like about Hogwasher, but I
remember it was something that was a real irritant at the time.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Google