PDA

View Full Version : Flying out of annual

Larry R[_2_]
June 9th 07, 04:37 PM
Ok, read the whole thing before the flames!

Pouring through the FAR's, I couldn't find an answer..

Renting an aircraft for a trip at the end of the month, which had an
annual June 06. My return date is July 1.

I'm trying to push the FBO to do the annual before my trip, but
looking at other options too.

Is there some exemption that allows a return to home base/maintenance
station?

tom418
June 9th 07, 04:51 PM
It's called a ferry permit. Good luck with trying to convince an FBO (or
other entity) to pull one so that you can take your trip. I've gotten two
ferry permits for my Seneca. It's not too easy.

Even if you got one, you would probably have to fly solo, in VFR conditions,
and you'd be given a time frame for a flight to where mainenance (the
annual ) would be done.
"Larry R" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Ok, read the whole thing before the flames!
>
> Pouring through the FAR's, I couldn't find an answer..
>
> Renting an aircraft for a trip at the end of the month, which had an
> annual June 06. My return date is July 1.
>
> I'm trying to push the FBO to do the annual before my trip, but
> looking at other options too.
>
> Is there some exemption that allows a return to home base/maintenance
> station?

Larry R[_2_]
June 9th 07, 05:20 PM
Actually, I was looking at the " within the preceding 12 calendar
months" phrase of 91.409 (a). I *think* that means that, in my case,
the preceding 12 months would be from June 06-June 07 (on the return,
July would be the actual month).

Just throwing that out until I can reach the owner...

RST Engineering
June 9th 07, 05:27 PM
There are no blanket exemptions. There is one sure way. Cut your trip
short and come home the 30th of June (assuming good weather).

The other way is with a ferry permit. The ferry permit works like this:
you call the FSDO for the area that you are flying OUT of and explain the
extenuating circumstances that caused the airplane to go out of annual.
Getting weathered in unexpectedly might work. Getting sick might work.
Scheduling stupidly and knowing it will go out of annual won't work.

<over>
The FAA will probably ask that a local A&P give you a clean bill of health
before they cut the permit. You pay the A&P. If the FAA is satisfied with
the condition of the aircraft they will issue the permit and fax it to
wherever you tell them to fax it. If that is a fax service you pay the fax
charge. If you've got an extra week you can have them mail it. It will
generally be good for a 24 hour day or two that you specify. If you get
weathered in for those two days, go to <over> and do it all again. It will
most probably be for single pilot only and in VFR conditions only.

Do you really think it is worth it?

Jim
--
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and
dance like no one is watching."

"Larry R" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Ok, read the whole thing before the flames!
>
> Pouring through the FAR's, I couldn't find an answer..
>
> Renting an aircraft for a trip at the end of the month, which had an
> annual June 06. My return date is July 1.
>
> I'm trying to push the FBO to do the annual before my trip, but
> looking at other options too.
>
> Is there some exemption that allows a return to home base/maintenance
> station?

RST Engineering
June 9th 07, 05:52 PM
You must have missed that question on your pilot written exam. Most
everything in aviation is done by the "calendar" time period. Medicals,
annuals, BFRs, and the like are done by "calendar" months. A calendar month
expires twelve months at the END OF THE MONTH in which it was performed.

If your annual was done on 6 June, then it expires at the stroke of midnight
on 30 June. At 00:00:01 on 1 July, you are out of license (or medical, or
BFR or ...).

Jim

--
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and
dance like no one is watching."
--Satchel Paige

"Larry R" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Actually, I was looking at the " within the preceding 12 calendar
> months" phrase of 91.409 (a). I *think* that means that, in my case,
> the preceding 12 months would be from June 06-June 07 (on the return,
> July would be the actual month).
>
> Just throwing that out until I can reach the owner...

Vaughn Simon
June 9th 07, 06:06 PM
"RST Engineering" > wrote in message
> A calendar month expires twelve months at the END OF THE MONTH in which it
> was performed.

Which is why many annuals are signed off on the first of the month, the day
AFTER the current annual expires. If done systematically, that effectively
gives you 13 months on an annual.

Vaughn

RST Engineering
June 9th 07, 06:50 PM
Or a free annual every twelve years, whichever way you choose to look at it.
The only fly in that ointment is hitting the July annual and trying to get
home from Oshkosh before the first of August {:^(

Hey, a business opportunity!!!!!!!!!! The extra special "North 40 Mobile
One-Hour Annual Service" where 31 July paperwhipping is the order of the
day!!! (Please, no flames, just kidding.)

(NO, Jay, I AIN'T going to do it for Assless out in the cornfields.)

Jim

--

"Vaughn Simon" > wrote in message

> "RST Engineering" > wrote in message
>> A calendar month expires twelve months at the END OF THE MONTH in which
>> it was performed.
>
> Which is why many annuals are signed off on the first of the month,
> the day AFTER the current annual expires. If done systematically, that
> effectively gives you 13 months on an annual.
>
> Vaughn

Morgans[_2_]
June 9th 07, 08:00 PM
"RST Engineering" > wrote

> Hey, a business opportunity!!!!!!!!!! The extra special "North 40 Mobile
> One-Hour Annual Service" where 31 July paperwhipping is the order of the
> day!!! (Please, no flames, just kidding.)
>
> (NO, Jay, I AIN'T going to do it for Assless out in the cornfields.)

What a whimP!

If I can put a transmission in and out of a V-8 Van, in the middle of a
field at OSH, you could surely pencil whip an annual in the North 40,
without even breaking a sweat!

<G, Ducking and Running>
--
Jim in NC

RST Engineering
June 9th 07, 08:54 PM
Ya know, the more I think about it, it WOULD pay for some of the gas expense
to get to The Show.

{;-)

Jim

--
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and
dance like no one is watching."
--Satchel Paige

> If I can put a transmission in and out of a V-8 Van, in the middle of a
> field at OSH, you could surely pencil whip an annual in the North 40,
> without even breaking a sweat!

Morgans[_2_]
June 9th 07, 09:06 PM
"RST Engineering" > wrote in message
> Ya know, the more I think about it, it WOULD pay for some of the gas
> expense to get to The Show.
>
> {;-)

Yep - Yep -Yep !

Do enough of them, and it could be a money maker!

"Pencil Whipped Annuals Are Us!"

I'll bet you could even put on a forum, by that name! ;-)
--
Jim in NC

RST Engineering
June 9th 07, 09:17 PM
I'll bet it would be well attended by gentlemen in dark suits, white shirts,
and thin ties with VERY straight legs on their chairs.

Jim

> "Pencil Whipped Annuals Are Us!"
>
> I'll bet you could even put on a forum, by that name! ;-)
> --
> Jim in NC

Bob Moore
June 9th 07, 09:31 PM
RST Engineering wrote
> Ya know, the more I think about it, it WOULD pay for some of the gas
> expense to get to The Show.

And what do you think that Tom's cut would be? :-)

Bob Moore

RST Engineering
June 9th 07, 09:50 PM
Dang, I knew there had to be a catch ... to answer your question, the usual
150% of gross would probably be close.

{;-)

Jim

--
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and
dance like no one is watching."
--Satchel Paige

"Bob Moore" > wrote in message
46.128...

> And what do you think that Tom's cut would be? :-)
>
> Bob Moore

Morgans[_2_]
June 10th 07, 06:37 AM
"RST Engineering" > wrote

> I'll bet it would be well attended by gentlemen in dark suits, white
> shirts, and thin ties with VERY straight legs on their chairs.

What, some people from the "we aren't happy, until you're not happy"
division of gubermint?

Ya think? <g>
--
Jim in NC

Stealth Pilot[_2_]
June 10th 07, 02:58 PM
On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 16:06:00 -0400, "Morgans"
> wrote:

>"RST Engineering" > wrote in message
>> Ya know, the more I think about it, it WOULD pay for some of the gas
>> expense to get to The Show.
>>
>> {;-)
>
> Yep - Yep -Yep !
>
>Do enough of them, and it could be a money maker!
>
>"Pencil Whipped Annuals Are Us!"
>
>I'll bet you could even put on a forum, by that name! ;-)

step this way folks have your blank annuals autographed by jim......

Google