PDA

View Full Version : torpedo attack

John Keeney
June 11th 07, 07:23 AM
When was the last air launched torpedo attack made?
Was it as long agao as the attack on the dam gates in Korea?

John Szalay
June 11th 07, 02:59 PM
John Keeney > wrote in
oups.com:

> When was the last air launched torpedo attack made?
> Was it as long agao as the attack on the dam gates in Korea?

John
you might get some weird answers on this, IIRC:
air-launched torpedo tactics are still part of ASW
tactics. helicopter and P3 among others..just different
models of torp and methods of delivery.

John

R.C. Payne
June 11th 07, 03:30 PM
John Szalay wrote:
> John Keeney > wrote in
> oups.com:
>
>>When was the last air launched torpedo attack made?
>>Was it as long agao as the attack on the dam gates in Korea?
>>

> John
> you might get some weird answers on this, IIRC:
> air-launched torpedo tactics are still part of ASW
> tactics. helicopter and P3 among others..just different
> models of torp and methods of delivery.

OK, but when have these actually been used? There haven't been many
wars involving attacks on submarines recently. Seems a good question to me.

Robin

Larry Cauble
June 11th 07, 05:36 PM
John Szalay wrote:
John Keeney wrote in
oups.com:

When was the last air launched torpedo attack made?
Was it as long agao as the attack on the dam gates in Korea?

John
you might get some weird answers on this, IIRC:
air-launched torpedo tactics are still part of ASW
tactics. helicopter and P3 among others..just different
models of torp and methods of delivery.

OK, but when have these actually been used? There haven't been many
wars involving attacks on submarines recently. Seems a good question to me.

Robin

I suspect the RN dropped some ASW torpedoes during the Falklands war.

Boomerang
June 11th 07, 06:30 PM
Falklands maybe....

R.C. Payne
June 11th 07, 08:54 PM
Boomerang wrote:
> Falklands maybe....

The Belgrano was a conventional submarine launched torpedo, and the
Argentinians kept their ships clear after that, so not much for the RN
to attack. The aircraft attacks on the RN were either missiles or bombs
rather than torpedos (IIRC).

Robin

John Szalay
June 11th 07, 09:05 PM
"R.C. Payne" > wrote in
> OK, but when have these actually been used? There haven't been many
> wars involving attacks on submarines recently. Seems a good question
> to me.
>
> Robin

To me as well, all I was doing was reminding John that he MAY get some
answers, a little different than he expected.

cdr[_2_]
June 11th 07, 11:02 PM
"John Keeney" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> When was the last air launched torpedo attack made?
> Was it as long agao as the attack on the dam gates in Korea?

Falklands April 25, 1982, a lynx from HMS Brilliant attacked the Santa Fe
with an air launched torpoedo that failed to detonate due to incorrect
fusing.

Source, article titled "Sink the Santa Fe!", July 2007, Sea Classics.

John Keeney
June 12th 07, 06:23 AM
On Jun 11, 6:02 pm, "cdr" > wrote:
> "John Keeney" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > When was the last air launched torpedo attack made?
> > Was it as long agao as the attack on the dam gates in Korea?
>
> Falklands April 25, 1982, a lynx from HMS Brilliant attacked the Santa Fe
> with an air launched torpoedo that failed to detonate due to incorrect
> fusing.
>
> Source, article titled "Sink the Santa Fe!", July 2007, Sea Classics.

Curious, I wonder what kind of fusing decisions would do that.

R.C. Payne
June 12th 07, 11:59 AM
cdr wrote:
> "John Keeney" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>When was the last air launched torpedo attack made?
>>Was it as long agao as the attack on the dam gates in Korea?
>
> Falklands April 25, 1982, a lynx from HMS Brilliant attacked the Santa Fe
> with an air launched torpoedo that failed to detonate due to incorrect
> fusing.
>
> Source, article titled "Sink the Santa Fe!", July 2007, Sea Classics.

I sit corrected (Re my other post)

Robin

John Szalay
June 12th 07, 02:50 PM
"cdr" > wrote in
:

> "John Keeney" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> When was the last air launched torpedo attack made?
>> Was it as long agao as the attack on the dam gates in Korea?
>
> Falklands April 25, 1982, a lynx from HMS Brilliant attacked the
> Santa Fe with an air launched torpoedo that failed to detonate due to
> incorrect fusing.
>
> Source, article titled "Sink the Santa Fe!", July 2007, Sea Classics.

That in it self is a wild narative. they fire everything but the kitchen
sink at that sub. Depth charges, torpedoes, machine guns and missiles.

http://www.navynews.co.uk/falklands/stories/8202042501.asp

BTW: the Santa Fe was the EX-US sub Catfish SS-339
Theres a picture of some of the damage to the sub

http://www.rontini.com/catfish.htm

cdr[_2_]
June 13th 07, 03:51 AM
"John Keeney" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jun 11, 6:02 pm, "cdr" > wrote:
> > "John Keeney" > wrote in message
> >
> > oups.com...
> >
> > > When was the last air launched torpedo attack made?
> > > Was it as long agao as the attack on the dam gates in Korea?
> >
> > Falklands April 25, 1982, a lynx from HMS Brilliant attacked the Santa
Fe
> > with an air launched torpoedo that failed to detonate due to incorrect
> > fusing.
> >
> > Source, article titled "Sink the Santa Fe!", July 2007, Sea Classics.
>
> Curious, I wonder what kind of fusing decisions would do that.

Target on surface when the expected target was supposed to be submerged;
"deep" water weapon used in "shallow" water....

The wikipedia story of the attack:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARA_Santa_Fe_%28S-21%29

says that a Mk 46 torpedo was used for the attack.

Per Nordenberg
June 13th 07, 05:29 PM
"cdr" > skrev i meddelandet
> "John Keeney" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> On Jun 11, 6:02 pm, "cdr" > wrote:
>> > "John Keeney" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > oups.com...

>> > Falklands April 25, 1982, a lynx from HMS Brilliant attacked the Santa
> Fe
>> > with an air launched torpoedo that failed to detonate due to incorrect
>> > fusing.
>> >
>> > Source, article titled "Sink the Santa Fe!", July 2007, Sea Classics.
>>
>> Curious, I wonder what kind of fusing decisions would do that.
>
> Target on surface when the expected target was supposed to be submerged;
> "deep" water weapon used in "shallow" water....
>
> The wikipedia story of the attack:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARA_Santa_Fe_%28S-21%29
>
> says that a Mk 46 torpedo was used for the attack.

From the wikipedia page about Santa Fe:

-quote-
"In 1982, the Santa Fe took part in the Falklands War[2] alongside the ARA
San Luis, the only two submarines in the Argentine Navy."
-unquote-

AFAIK there were two German type 209 submarines in the Argentine Navy when
the Falklands War started (ARA Salta and ARA San Luis). Perhaps the word
"operational" should be added. Furthermore it's somewhat doubtful whether
Santa Fe should be referred to as a submarine at this time since her diving
capability was marginal at best.

Regards,

Per Nordenberg

cdr[_2_]
June 13th 07, 08:57 PM
"Per Nordenberg" > wrote in message

> "cdr" > skrev i meddelandet
> > "John Keeney" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...

Santa
> > Fe

> >> Curious, I wonder what kind of fusing decisions would do that.
> >
> > Target on surface when the expected target was supposed to be submerged;
> > "deep" water weapon used in "shallow" water....
> >
> > The wikipedia story of the attack:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARA_Santa_Fe_%28S-21%29
> >
> > says that a Mk 46 torpedo was used for the attack.
>

> From the wikipedia page about Santa Fe:
>
> -quote-
> "In 1982, the Santa Fe took part in the Falklands War[2] alongside the ARA
> San Luis, the only two submarines in the Argentine Navy."

If you click on the San Luis link in that quote on wikipedia you get this:

"... Only one other submarine, the old Second World War era ARA Santa Fe was
also operational at this time. "

> -unquote-
>
> AFAIK there were two German type 209 submarines in the Argentine Navy when
> the Falklands War started (ARA Salta and ARA San Luis). Perhaps the word
> "operational" should be added. Furthermore it's somewhat doubtful whether
> Santa Fe should be referred to as a submarine at this time since her
diving
> capability was marginal at best.

It was considered an adequate submarine transport by the Argentine Navy to
be tasked with landing about 40 Marines on South Georgia shortly before it
was depth charged.

> Regards,
>
> Per Nordenberg

June 13th 07, 10:32 PM
On Jun 11, 12:23 am, John Keeney > wrote:
> When was the last air launched torpedo attack made?
> Was it as long agao as the attack on the dam gates in Korea?

Don't worry about the LAST one. Worry about the NEXT one 'cause it's
gonna be against a US target.

ŽiŠardo
June 14th 07, 09:26 AM
cdr wrote:
> "Per Nordenberg" > wrote in message
>> "cdr" > skrev i meddelandet
>>> "John Keeney" > wrote in message
>>> ups.com...

> Santa
>>> Fe
> incorrect

>>> Target on surface when the expected target was supposed to be submerged;
>>> "deep" water weapon used in "shallow" water....
>>>
>>> The wikipedia story of the attack:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARA_Santa_Fe_%28S-21%29
>>>
>>> says that a Mk 46 torpedo was used for the attack.
>>
>> From the wikipedia page about Santa Fe:
>>
>> -quote-
>> "In 1982, the Santa Fe took part in the Falklands War[2] alongside the ARA
>> San Luis, the only two submarines in the Argentine Navy."
>
> If you click on the San Luis link in that quote on wikipedia you get this:
>
> "... Only one other submarine, the old Second World War era ARA Santa Fe was
> also operational at this time. "
>
>> -unquote-
>>
>> AFAIK there were two German type 209 submarines in the Argentine Navy when
>> the Falklands War started (ARA Salta and ARA San Luis). Perhaps the word
>> "operational" should be added. Furthermore it's somewhat doubtful whether
>> Santa Fe should be referred to as a submarine at this time since her
> diving
>> capability was marginal at best.
>
> It was considered an adequate submarine transport by the Argentine Navy to
> be tasked with landing about 40 Marines on South Georgia shortly before it
> was depth charged.
>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Per Nordenberg

Why would anyone wish to depth charge South Georgia?

;-)

--
Moving things in still pictures!

cdr[_2_]
July 8th 07, 11:48 PM
"John Keeney" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jun 11, 6:02 pm, "cdr" > wrote:
> > "John Keeney" > wrote in message
> >
> > oups.com...
> >
> > > When was the last air launched torpedo attack made?
> > > Was it as long agao as the attack on the dam gates in Korea?
> >
> > Falklands April 25, 1982, a lynx from HMS Brilliant attacked the Santa
Fe
> > with an air launched torpoedo that failed to detonate due to incorrect
> > fusing.
> >
> > Source, article titled "Sink the Santa Fe!", July 2007, Sea Classics.
>
> Curious, I wonder what kind of fusing decisions would do that.

Warship International Vol 43 Number 1 page 22 through 24 answers a readers
question about the fate of the Santa Fe that includes the following comment
related to the torpedo attack:

"The 'Lynx' launched a torpedo, and strafed with its pintle mounted General
Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG). However the ASW torpedo fired at Santa Fe's
screws was ineffective because it would not detonate unless the target is
more than 30-ft underwater and Santa Fe was on the surface."

Google