PDA

View Full Version : Controlled/special-use airspace in the U.S.

Tuno
June 11th 07, 07:13 PM
A question about controlled/special-use airspace in the United States.

I'm aware that the National Geospacial-Intelligence Agency (NGA)
maintains a database called the US Flight Information Files (USFIF,
formerly DAFIF). These files have been the primary data source for the
software used in most (if not all) soaring navigation software. (And I
strongly suspect this is true for the navigation software used in
powered planes as well.) The NGA web site states that the USFIF files
will no longer be publicly available starting October 2007.

Is NGA supposed to be "The Source" for current controlled and special-
use airspace? If not, then who is? If so, then how are ordinary GA
pilots supposed to know "the law" after this October?

I cannot believe that the answer would be to "look at the sectional".
The sectionals themselves have to be based on something; they are only
a reflection of what "the law" is. I also have one digital version of
the Phoenix sectional that does not show the restricted airspace added
in April 2006 along the US-Mexico border from FL120 to 140. Assuming
it is not legal to fly into restricted airspace, I am wondering why it
is in the USFIF database but not on the sectional.

-ted/2NO

Google