PDA

View Full Version : New Gelcoat / Paint on a Glider?

Thiemo Gorath
June 11th 07, 08:16 PM
Good afternoon,

I'm wondering if someone could shed some light into my land of
darkness :-)

There are (to my knowledge) 3 types of new paint/gelcoating

a) Vorgelat (the initial gelcoat)
b) PU
c) Acrylic

I know Vorgelat - but what are the pro's/con's for PU and Acrylic?
What would I have to watch for in case of PU or in case of Acryl?
What is easily done wrong in Paintjobs?

Any help and advise is most welcome.

Kind regards, Thiemo

Nyal Williams
June 11th 07, 11:14 PM
It might help if you stated whether you are buying
a new glider and have a choice or if you wish to re-finish
a glider. Our Discus had the gelcoat removed and it
was painted with automobile acriyic before we bought
it. It has held up fine, has not yellowed, and has
had some minor touch up jobs with a different company's
acrylic, all to good effect. The difficulty is getting
all the gelcoat off. Ours is a bit heavier and obviously
had to be re-weighed; I don't know whether extra weight
would always be the case.

At 19:24 11 June 2007, Thiemo Gorath wrote:
>Good afternoon,
>
>I'm wondering if someone could shed some light into
>my land of
>darkness :-)
>
>There are (to my knowledge) 3 types of new paint/gelcoating
>

>a) Vorgelat (the initial gelcoat)
>b) PU
>c) Acrylic
>
>I know Vorgelat - but what are the pro's/con's for
>PU and Acrylic?
>What would I have to watch for in case of PU or in
>case of Acryl?
>What is easily done wrong in Paintjobs?
>
>Any help and advise is most welcome.
>
>Kind regards, Thiemo

fred
June 12th 07, 05:11 AM
On Jun 11, 3:14 pm, Nyal Williams
> wrote:
> It might help if you stated whether you are buying
> a new glider and have a choice or if you wish to re-finish
> a glider. Our Discus had the gelcoat removed and it
> was painted with automobile acriyic before we bought
> it. It has held up fine, has not yellowed, and has
> had some minor touch up jobs with a different company's
> acrylic, all to good effect. The difficulty is getting
> all the gelcoat off. Ours is a bit heavier and obviously
> had to be re-weighed; I don't know whether extra weight
> would always be the case.
>
> At 19:24 11 June 2007, Thiemo Gorath wrote:
>

> >Good afternoon,
>
> >I'm wondering if someone could shed some light into
> >my land of
> >darkness :-)
>
> >There are (to my knowledge) 3 types of new paint/gelcoating
>
> >a) Vorgelat (the initial gelcoat)
> >b) PU
> >c) Acrylic
>
> >I know Vorgelat - but what are the pro's/con's for
> >PU and Acrylic?
> >What would I have to watch for in case of PU or in
> >case of Acryl?
> >What is easily done wrong in Paintjobs?
>
> >Any help and advise is most welcome.
>
> >Kind regards, Thiemo- Hide quoted text -

About 1975, I bought a new, unpainted Schweizer 1-35. I filled joints
and defects with Bondo.to make it as smooth as possible. Then I
covered it with the lightest POLY-FIBRE fabric, following the poly-
fiber manual. The final finish was white polyurethane enamel. I was
happy with the end results. A new Calif state record was set.
Now...the ship, with it's original finish showed up on my field, 30
years later. It still looked like glass.
This procedure could be approved as a new paint job (finish). It may
be a cheaper, better way than a new gel coat job. Sun had done no
damage, there were no cracks. It had survived a life of UV rays. Fred
Robinson

Jim Hultman
June 13th 07, 06:16 AM
Fred,
I'd like to see the 1-35 if it's at Great Western Monday 18th. Poly Fiber
has a construction video I'm sending for.
Jim
"fred" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jun 11, 3:14 pm, Nyal Williams
> > wrote:
> > It might help if you stated whether you are buying
> > a new glider and have a choice or if you wish to re-finish
> > a glider. Our Discus had the gelcoat removed and it
> > was painted with automobile acriyic before we bought
> > it. It has held up fine, has not yellowed, and has
> > had some minor touch up jobs with a different company's
> > acrylic, all to good effect. The difficulty is getting
> > all the gelcoat off. Ours is a bit heavier and obviously
> > had to be re-weighed; I don't know whether extra weight
> > would always be the case.
> >
> > At 19:24 11 June 2007, Thiemo Gorath wrote:
> >

> > >Good afternoon,
> >
> > >I'm wondering if someone could shed some light into
> > >my land of
> > >darkness :-)
> >
> > >There are (to my knowledge) 3 types of new paint/gelcoating
> >
> > >a) Vorgelat (the initial gelcoat)
> > >b) PU
> > >c) Acrylic
> >
> > >I know Vorgelat - but what are the pro's/con's for
> > >PU and Acrylic?
> > >What would I have to watch for in case of PU or in
> > >case of Acryl?
> > >What is easily done wrong in Paintjobs?
> >
> > >Any help and advise is most welcome.
> >
> > >Kind regards, Thiemo- Hide quoted text -

> About 1975, I bought a new, unpainted Schweizer 1-35. I filled joints
> and defects with Bondo.to make it as smooth as possible. Then I
> covered it with the lightest POLY-FIBRE fabric, following the poly-
> fiber manual. The final finish was white polyurethane enamel. I was
> happy with the end results. A new Calif state record was set.
> Now...the ship, with it's original finish showed up on my field, 30
> years later. It still looked like glass.
> This procedure could be approved as a new paint job (finish). It may
> be a cheaper, better way than a new gel coat job. Sun had done no
> damage, there were no cracks. It had survived a life of UV rays. Fred
> Robinson

Google