PDA

View Full Version : CH-47D fire fighting

Paul[_3_]
June 12th 07, 04:20 AM

MikeB
June 13th 07, 01:47 AM
How big a bambi bucket is this?
Several years ago I had the pleasure of training
with Columbia Helicopters on their Boeing 234s which
I think are the civilian versions of the CH-47.
Back then we were trained using a 3000 gallon
bambi bucket.
We also got to work with their Boeing Vertol 107-II
(CH-46) which used an 1100 gallon bucket.
I will tell you from painfull experiance that you do not
want to be anywhere near the area when either of these
birds make a drop...

Dave Kearton
June 13th 07, 04:03 AM
MikeB wrote:
>> How big a bambi bucket is this?
>> Several years ago I had the pleasure of training
>> with Columbia Helicopters on their Boeing 234s which
>> I think are the civilian versions of the CH-47.
>> Back then we were trained using a 3000 gallon
>> bambi bucket.
>> We also got to work with their Boeing Vertol 107-II
>> (CH-46) which used an 1100 gallon bucket.
>> I will tell you from painfull experiance that you do not
>> want to be anywhere near the area when either of these
>> birds make a drop...

So - how many scuba divers does it hold ?

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Paul[_3_]
June 13th 07, 05:01 AM
"MikeB" > wrote in message
> How big a bambi bucket is this?
> Several years ago I had the pleasure of training
> with Columbia Helicopters on their Boeing 234s which
> I think are the civilian versions of the CH-47.
> Back then we were trained using a 3000 gallon
> bambi bucket.
> We also got to work with their Boeing Vertol 107-II
> (CH-46) which used an 1100 gallon bucket.
> I will tell you from painfull experiance that you do not
> want to be anywhere near the area when either of these
> birds make a drop..

The bucket in the picture is a 2000 gallon bucket, we have two of them...

Yes the 234 is the civilian version, nice aircraft I saw one pass thru this
area not long ago...
had a nice white paint job on it.

With the torrentula valve - the water comes out reasonably slow.... it takes
about 8 to 10
seconds to empty our bucket..

We have dropped "Near" but not on any firefighters.... not that they want us
to..... : )

Paul

Paul[_3_]
June 13th 07, 05:04 AM
"Dave Kearton" > wrote in message
> MikeB wrote:
>>> How big a bambi bucket is this?
>>> Several years ago I had the pleasure of training
>>> with Columbia Helicopters on their Boeing 234s which
>>> I think are the civilian versions of the CH-47.
>>> Back then we were trained using a 3000 gallon
>>> bambi bucket.
>>> We also got to work with their Boeing Vertol 107-II
>>> (CH-46) which used an 1100 gallon bucket.
>>> I will tell you from painfull experiance that you do not
>>> want to be anywhere near the area when either of these
>>> birds make a drop...
>

> So - how many scuba divers does it hold ?
>

> --
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave Kearton

Last Summer a UH-60 crew dipped their bucket into a local trout hatchery by
mistake.

The fire fighters said they dropped trout fingerlings all ove the darn
fire.... made it smell
like an afternoon fish fry...

We still laugh about it , and tell the pilot he will eventually get a bill
for those fish....

Paul

Google