PDA

View Full Version : SB2U, why not a 3-bladed prop?

Don McIntyre
June 21st 07, 03:14 PM
I just got the Accurate Miniatures 1/48th scale SB2U-3 Vindicator the
other day and it got me to wondering about this question. Most USN
combat aircraft by this time had 3-bladed props, heck, even the F3F
biplane had a 3-blader. Considering the efficiency and performance
gains that could be achieved any idea on why this wasn't installed on
the SB2U? Maybe the USN didn't bother because the SBD was coming
online and the SB2U would be replaced soon? Not ENOUGH of a
performance gain to make it worthwhile? Any thoughts?

W. D. Allen
June 21st 07, 09:32 PM
Check out http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1495

end

"Don McIntyre" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I just got the Accurate Miniatures 1/48th scale SB2U-3 Vindicator the
> other day and it got me to wondering about this question. Most USN
> combat aircraft by this time had 3-bladed props, heck, even the F3F
> biplane had a 3-blader. Considering the efficiency and performance
> gains that could be achieved any idea on why this wasn't installed on
> the SB2U? Maybe the USN didn't bother because the SBD was coming
> online and the SB2U would be replaced soon? Not ENOUGH of a
> performance gain to make it worthwhile? Any thoughts?

Google