PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum angle

Lou
June 22nd 07, 09:36 PM
Does anyone know where I can get 6061 or 2024 aluminum angle
or tubing 1/8inch thick with at least one side 5-6 inches wide?
Lou

Blueskies
June 22nd 07, 09:42 PM
"Lou" > wrote in message ups.com...
> Does anyone know where I can get 6061 or 2024 aluminum angle
> or tubing 1/8inch thick with at least one side 5-6 inches wide?
> Lou

http://schupanalum.thomasnet.com/viewitems/extruded-shapes-structurals/les-american-standard-6061-t6-extruded-mill-finish?&pagenum=3&measuresortid=0

Blueskies
June 22nd 07, 09:44 PM
"Blueskies" > wrote in message t...

> "Lou" > wrote in message ups.com...
>> Does anyone know where I can get 6061 or 2024 aluminum angle
>> or tubing 1/8inch thick with at least one side 5-6 inches wide?
>> Lou
>>

> http://schupanalum.thomasnet.com/viewitems/extruded-shapes-structurals/les-american-standard-6061-t6-extruded-mill-finish?&pagenum=3&measuresortid=0

Oops, just realized you said 1/8 thick...don't see any of that...

Bob Kuykendall
June 22nd 07, 10:13 PM
On Jun 22, 1:36 pm, Lou > wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can get 6061 or 2024 aluminum angle
> or tubing 1/8inch thick with at least one side 5-6 inches wide?
> Lou

Wow, that's an odd one.

The profile is doable, but I don't know of any commercial sources for
it. I'm betting it's going to come out real pricey if you do find any.

Unless you need more than 4 or 8 feet of it, you may have better luck
getting 1/8" 2024 and having it bent on a brake. Or build the section
up from available angle and strip using rivets or screws.

Good luck, Bob K.

John Kimmel
June 22nd 07, 11:09 PM
> On Jun 22, 1:36 pm, Lou > wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know where I can get 6061 or 2024 aluminum angle
>>or tubing 1/8inch thick with at least one side 5-6 inches wide?
>> Lou

You can rivet a piece of extrusion to a web, or you can bend a piece of
flat sheet.

--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.

Dan[_2_]
June 23rd 07, 12:34 AM
Lou wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can get 6061 or 2024 aluminum angle
> or tubing 1/8inch thick with at least one side 5-6 inches wide?
> Lou

Speedymetals.com has angle with 5" and 6" legs, but and 3/8" and
1/2" thickness respectively.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Doug Palmer
June 23rd 07, 12:38 AM
Try Alan Steel in Redwood city CA, They will not have the 2024 but they
stock a lot of 6061 extrusions.
"Lou" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Does anyone know where I can get 6061 or 2024 aluminum angle
> or tubing 1/8inch thick with at least one side 5-6 inches wide?
> Lou

Charlie Smith
June 25th 07, 01:41 AM
metalsupermarkets.com has 6063T52 unequal angle (5X3 or 5X4) in 1/8 inch.

Charlie

"Doug Palmer" > wrote in message
. net...
> Try Alan Steel in Redwood city CA, They will not have the 2024 but they
> stock a lot of 6061 extrusions.
> "Lou" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Does anyone know where I can get 6061 or 2024 aluminum angle
>> or tubing 1/8inch thick with at least one side 5-6 inches wide?
>> Lou

Lou
June 25th 07, 01:33 PM
Yea, I've found the 6063 everywhere. Now if you can tell me the
difference between the 6063 and the 6061
I might learn something. The only stuff I can find is very vague.
Sometimes I think they purposly
don't tell you things.
Lou

clare at snyder.on.ca
June 25th 07, 06:14 PM
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 05:33:02 -0700, Lou > wrote:

>Yea, I've found the 6063 everywhere. Now if you can tell me the
>difference between the 6063 and the 6061
>I might learn something. The only stuff I can find is very vague.
>Sometimes I think they purposly
>don't tell you things.
> Lou

6063-T52 Aluminum
Minimum Properties Ultimate Tensile Strength, psi 27,000
Yield Strength, psi 21,000
Brinell Hardness 60
Chemistry Aluminum (Al) 97.5% max
Chromium (Cr) 0.1% max
Copper (Cu) 0.1% max
Iron (Fe) 0.35% max
Magnesium (Mg) 0.45 - 0.90%
Manganese (Mn) 0.1% max
Silicon (Si) 0.2 - 0.6%

6061-T6 Aluminum
Physical and Mechanical Properties Ultimate Tensile Strength, psi
45,000
Yield Strength, psi 40,000
Brinell Hardness 95
Rockwell Hardness B60
Chemistry Aluminum (Al) 95.8 - 98.6%
Chromium (Cr) 0.04 - 0.35%
Copper (Cu) 0.15 - 0.40%
Magnesium (Mg) 0.8 - 1.2%
Manganese (Mn) 0.15% max
Silicon (Si) 2.8 - 3.8%
Zinc (Zn) 1.5% max

So 6063 is about HALF the strength of 6061. A bit better than half as
hard. No zink, very little Silicon, half the magnesium, quarter the
copper, etc etc.

Totally different stuff (generally used for architectural extrusions -
non structural)

Rich S.[_1_]
June 25th 07, 06:33 PM
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 05:33:02 -0700, Lou > wrote:
>
>>Yea, I've found the 6063 everywhere. Now if you can tell me the
>>difference between the 6063 and the 6061
>>I might learn something. The only stuff I can find is very vague.
>>Sometimes I think they purposly
>>don't tell you things.
>> Lou

And . . . when you shop at Boeing Surplus, you wind up with some very
strange alloys in your airplane:

7075-T6511
&
7050-T76511