PDA

View Full Version : Rhode Island ANG Airshow - Index

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 07:46 PM
I made the trip down to North Kingstown, RI(KOQU)from New Hampshire for my first show
of the season on Saturday June 23, 2007. It was a beautiful day with a deep blue sky
and scattered puffy clouds as a backdrop. There was a refreshingly nice breeze from
the northwest that made the day very comfortable. Nothing like the smell of running
jet engines & food cooking on the grill when you're down wind. The show was packed
with families, former military, aviation enthusiasts, and many other quite unique
sights(smile).

This was my fourth trip to see the Rhode Island Air Guard show since 2003. Last year
was a wash out of sorts. Parking was a lot different for this year. Several large
distant satellite parking areas on undeveloped grassy fields. Air Guard Shuttle
buses moved the masses to the flight line for the action.

The Blue's were the main act with lot's of interesting stuff prior. I hesitate to
say it, (cringe & duck) but I didn't stay for the Angels show. With the huge crowd I
just didn't want to fight the lines and traffic. So once Fat Albert blasted off (yes
they used the bottles) and made a high speed pass, I was on the history channel.

This tactic made for an easy break from the event with little to no traffic. Even
better, I got to see, hear, and feel the diamond passing by overhead through my open
sunroof as I egressed the parking areas.

The flying portion of the show was great! There weren't many static aircraft on
display and getting a photo op was tuff despite getting to the show at the start of
the day. Some interesting notes about the F-22 Raptor and it's appearance for the
show under a double-billing deeper in the thread.

Another note of interest, there was a Black helicopter filming throughout the day.
According to the Public address announcer it was in the production of a Discovery
Channel reality program. That'll be one to watch out for...

Lot's of vendors with the usual airshow food and souvenirs. It maybe my imagination,
but it seemed like a lot more "Sponsor" based information from the Master of
Ceremonies and around the show. That includes the "Commercial Acts" during their
live broadcasts from the aircraft. I guess everyones got to get paid one way or the
other.

There was also the expected military recruiting efforts underway with a noticeable
heavy usage of technology (large screen plasma displays, games & audio) by the Army
folks. The masses always swirl to the "Free" stuff. Don't misunderstand me here, I
am pro-military having served 14 years for Uncle Sam before figuring out what I
really wanted to do when I grow up.

I've selected a few highlights from the day to share with you and provide a sense of
the sights I was pleased to witness. The show sure "Made my Day". Thank you Rhode
Island Air National Guard and show sponsors! The images that follow are my feeble
attempts at photography and post processing.

Seems like when you get one aspect of the photo right you then encounter some new
challenge to overcome. I still haven't been able to just press the shutter and get
that perfect shot. I see so many great photos posted to this group. My goal is to
try and mimic the excellent work posted here. As I do for you, I ask that you please
respect my copyright.

I've posted an index here for the start of the thread and replied to the thread with
the image files. I thought that would make things a little neater keeping it in one
thread. Enjoy!

Tom

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 07:48 PM
Army Jump Team opened the show with Sean Tucker circling Old Glory on the way down.

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 07:49 PM
It was packed...

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 07:50 PM
From the combine arms display - everyones headed for the barn...

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 07:51 PM
From the Combined Arms Display - Army Air Support

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 07:53 PM
Fat Albert blasting off with those apparently now rare bottles.

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 07:54 PM
Combined Arms Demo - Everyones headed home.

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 07:55 PM
Combined Arms Demo - Army Air support

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 07:56 PM
Combined Arms Demo - Troops can't work with out supplies...

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 07:56 PM
Combined Arms Demo - Troops arriving

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 07:57 PM
Combined Arms Demo - Hog's on guard...

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 07:58 PM
Combined Arms Demo - A10 rolling for takeoff

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 07:59 PM
Heritage Flight...

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:00 PM
Pre-join up with the Eagle. Sixty years of technology growth...

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:04 PM
F-22 did a double-billing, initially coming in for an act and then to follow-up with
the Heritage Flight. During the demo there were problems that came up which
apparently prevented the Raptor from providing a full effect show. Made me wonder
when the bugs are going to get worked out. Wasn't long ago they did a deployment
overseas and a computer issue came up while crossing the international dateline.

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:06 PM
F-22 knife edge moving away from the lens. Weird how the cockpit silhouette makes me
think of an alien space craft.

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:07 PM
Always a great show from the Eagle...

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:08 PM
Reminded me of a plane on a stick...

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:09 PM
The always perfect P-51 prepping for the Heritage Flight

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:11 PM
The Canadians Brought down a bird for the show...little demo for the lifting
capability. The joke during the show was the car belonged to someone and it was
going to be towed if it wasn't moved. And then it ended up being towed... and then
the owner was upset and said "Put it down"...well you can imagine the rest.

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:12 PM
Hornet = cleaning up from a slow dirty pass demo

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:13 PM
Hornet just after wheels off the pavement...

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:14 PM
Mike Goulian - Massachusetts native and aerobatic master

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:15 PM
Sean Tucker the master after breaking the ribbon...

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:16 PM
Shockwave rolling north at a reported 348Mph in a race against John Klatt...

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:17 PM
Major John Klatt prior to his race with the crowd pleasing Shockwave Jet Truck

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:18 PM
Chapman & Mancuso closely watching one another...

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:19 PM
Can't do anything without gas....New Jersey air guard with an old engined 135.
Jersey did the refueling for the aircraft involved in the show.

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:21 PM
NY ANG and their unique mission of supporting the people on Antartica

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:21 PM
Just a few people around for the show

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:23 PM
Army Jump team with Sean Tucker circling Old Glory on her decent to open the show.

Tom[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:24 PM
Rhode Island Air Guard C130-J on static display...

Jim Morris[_2_]
June 24th 07, 08:33 PM
>As I do for you, I ask that you please
> respect my copyright.
>
> I've posted an index here for the start of the thread and replied to the
> thread with
> the image files. I thought that would make things a little neater keeping
> it in one
> thread. Enjoy!

I DID!!!

> Tom

Thanks for these excellent photographs, Tom
Super!!

Jim Morris

June 24th 07, 09:32 PM
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 15:04:15 -0400, Tom > wrote:

>F-22 did a double-billing, initially coming in for an act and then to follow-up with
>the Heritage Flight. During the demo there were problems that came up which
>apparently prevented the Raptor from providing a full effect show. Made me wonder
>when the bugs are going to get worked out. Wasn't long ago they did a deployment
>overseas and a computer issue came up while crossing the international dateline.

It was here in Sacramento a few weeks ago, but I am sure it was all
computer-generated graphics because NO airplane can do what we saw it
do :-) Truely an awsome sight to watch it go through its paces.
NO, use John Mee3 at comcast dot net (remove the spaces and do the
obvious with the "dot" and the "at"

Tom Hayden
June 25th 07, 01:02 AM
Nice. Nice. Nice.

Thanks much for the pix, Tom.

Tom

MaXiLeeCH
June 25th 07, 01:39 AM
"Tom" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
> you Rhode
> Island Air National Guard and show sponsors! The images that follow are
> my feeble
> attempts at photography and post processing.
>
> Seems like when you get one aspect of the photo right you then encounter
> some new
> challenge to overcome. I still haven't been able to just press the
> shutter and get
> that perfect shot. I see so many great photos posted to this group. My
> goal is to
> try and mimic the excellent work posted here. As I do for you, I ask that
> you please
> respect my copyright.
>
> I've posted an index here for the start of the thread and replied to the
> thread with
> the image files. I thought that would make things a little neater keeping

Terrific photo's Tom, thanks a heap for posting them.

--

Jeff Cochrane - VK4BOF
Atherton

Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]
June 25th 07, 01:42 AM
I originally planned on staying in RI for the show until I realized that
my SWA voucher expired on the 21st. Rats!!!

JT

(Who did manage to fill up on Italian and seafood though..)

Tom wrote:
> [...]
> I grow up.
>
> I've selected a few highlights from the day to share with you and
> provide a sense of the sights I was pleased to witness. The show sure
> "Made my Day". Thank you Rhode Island Air National Guard and show
> sponsors! The images that follow are my feeble attempts at photography
> and post processing.
>
> Seems like when you get one aspect of the photo right you then encounter
> some new challenge to overcome. I still haven't been able to just press
> the shutter and get that perfect shot. I see so many great photos
> posted to this group. My goal is to try and mimic the excellent work
> posted here. As I do for you, I ask that you please respect my copyright.
>
> I've posted an index here for the start of the thread and replied to the
> thread with the image files. I thought that would make things a little

Bob Harrington
June 25th 07, 02:51 AM
Tom > wrote in
:

> Seems like when you get one aspect of the photo right you then
> encounter some new challenge to overcome. I still haven't been able
> to just press the shutter and get that perfect shot.

You and Ansel Adams... =)

> I see so many great photos posted to this group. My goal is to try
> and mimic the excellent work posted here.

Looks like you are there already - great photos, Tom!

Bob ^,,^

niceguy
June 25th 07, 03:19 AM
I wonder if the F8F cauld have beaten the Hornet in the takeoff contest? I
saw one beat an airforce jet (F-80?) at an airshow at Quonset Pt back in the
50's.

Paul Elliot
June 25th 07, 05:59 PM
Tom wrote:
> Combined Arms Demo - Hog's on guard...

I love the "Wonder Warthog"!

--
Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics
German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics
French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by Italians.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/paul1cart/albums/

Indrek Aavisto
June 26th 07, 12:26 AM
BH> Tom > wrote in
BH> :

>> Seems like when you get one aspect of the photo right you then
>> encounter some new challenge to overcome. I still haven't been able
>> to just press the shutter and get that perfect shot.

BH> You and Ansel Adams... =)

>> I see so many great photos posted to this group. My goal is to try
>> and mimic the excellent work posted here.

BH> Looks like you are there already - great photos, Tom!

BH> Bob ^,,^

Concur. An excellent set of photos.

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

--
Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult. W.S. Churchill

David Grist
June 29th 07, 03:51 AM
Tom!!!!

Thanks so much for capturing the shot I couldn't get. I saw this same view
from the Qounset "O" club (I was at a wedding). It was awesome to see that
live!

Again, THANKS!!!

"Tom" > wrote in message
. ..
> Heritage Flight...

B-Hate-Me
June 29th 07, 01:06 PM
"Tom" > wrote in message
. ..

> I've posted an index here for the start of the thread and replied to the
> thread with
> the image files. I thought that would make things a little neater keeping
> it in one
> thread. Enjoy!
>
> Tom

Nice pics, Tom. One question tho........ How did you get the shots that were
taken
ABOVE aircraft in flight?

Tom[_2_]
June 30th 07, 11:52 PM
Hello Group,

I've been out of town for the past week so I wasn't in a position to reply to any
posts. My humble thanks for the kind words from everyone! I've attached an image of
a Piper Float plane that did some practice landings at Pleasant Lake in Otisfield,
Maine while I was visiting over the past week.

As for my elevated position to take shots ABOVE the aircraft...I was on the concrete
flight line with all the other thousands of spectators. To be specific the surveyed
elevation is 18ft above sea level. Don't I wish I could've been on board that black
Helo doing photo work during the show...

B-Hate-Me - I believe what you maybe referring to is an illusion that telephoto
lenses create. The image elements are compressed causing them to appear as though
they are close together

Using the image of the F-15 Eagle posted in this thread it was traveling at high
speed from right to left in a knife edge pass. The clouds in the background together
with the aircraft traveling across the field of view can give the illusion that the
view is from above. With only the sky and cloud as reference points your eye and
mind can make you believe whatever it comes up with.

Other examples of the same illusion probably would be in the A-10 "On Guard" and the
F-22 "Raptor". "Heading to the Barn" is a good example of telephoto lens
compression. The line of aircraft heading directly towards the lens gives the
impression they're all close together when in fact there was significant spacing
between each. I hope this helps explain the illusion for you.

Tom

B-Hate-Me wrote:
> "Tom" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> I've posted an index here for the start of the thread and replied to the
>> thread with
>> the image files. I thought that would make things a little neater keeping
>> it in one
>> thread. Enjoy!
>>
>> Tom
>
> Nice pics, Tom. One question tho........ How did you get the shots that were
> taken
> ABOVE aircraft in flight?

Tom[_2_]
July 2nd 07, 08:52 PM
I understand that there's going to be a show at Pease AFB on 8/18-19 to benefit the
brain injury foundation. Here's a link:

http://www.peaseairshow.com/archive/news060407.html

From the schedule it seems like there'll be some neat things to see...

B-Hate-Me wrote:
> Gonna head down to Otis for the August show.

B-Hate-Me
July 2nd 07, 09:28 PM
"Tom" > wrote in message
. ..

> B-Hate-Me - I believe what you maybe referring to is an illusion that
> telephoto
> lenses create. The image elements are compressed causing them to appear
> as though
> they are close together
>
> Using the image of the F-15 Eagle posted in this thread it was traveling
> at high
> speed from right to left in a knife edge pass. The clouds in the
> background together
> with the aircraft traveling across the field of view can give the illusion
> that the
> view is from above. With only the sky and cloud as reference points your
> eye and
> mind can make you believe whatever it comes up with.
>
> Other examples of the same illusion probably would be in the A-10 "On
> Guard" and the
> F-22 "Raptor". "Heading to the Barn" is a good example of telephoto lens
> compression. The line of aircraft heading directly towards the lens gives
> the
> impression they're all close together when in fact there was significant
> spacing
> between each. I hope this helps explain the illusion for you.

It does Tom...Thanks.

Gonna head down to Otis for the August show.

Google