PDA

View Full Version : Diesel and jet fuel from animal fat

Maxwell
June 26th 07, 12:05 AM
I guess Tyson foods plans on trimming some of the fat.

http://www.syntroleum.com/pr_individualpressrelease.aspx?NewsID=1018955

NW_Pilot
June 26th 07, 10:34 AM
"Maxwell" > wrote in message
>I guess Tyson foods plans on trimming some of the fat.
>
> http://www.syntroleum.com/pr_individualpressrelease.aspx?NewsID=1018955

Wow! PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) may have a cow on this one! Speaking
of Cow I feel like a Steak!

Peter Dohm
June 26th 07, 02:39 PM
"Maxwell" > wrote in message
> I guess Tyson foods plans on trimming some of the fat.
>
> http://www.syntroleum.com/pr_individualpressrelease.aspx?NewsID=1018955

There has been a good bit of discussion of "anything to oil" technology over
the past couple of years--mostly involving poultry and slaughter house
waste. Some of the "guestimates" of the possible quantity seem optomistic,
but it is a great idea and I am very glad to see it heading toward
production.

Peter

Maxwell
June 26th 07, 03:27 PM
"Peter Dohm" > wrote in message
> "Maxwell" > wrote in message
>> I guess Tyson foods plans on trimming some of the fat.
>>
>> http://www.syntroleum.com/pr_individualpressrelease.aspx?NewsID=1018955
>>

> There has been a good bit of discussion of "anything to oil" technology
> over
> the past couple of years--mostly involving poultry and slaughter house
> waste. Some of the "guestimates" of the possible quantity seem
> optomistic,
> but it is a great idea and I am very glad to see it heading toward
> production.

I agree. I have heard a lot also, but this is the first time I have heard of
anything as significant as someone investing $150m. Really peaked my
interest.

It also seems interesting, they at least "think" the have an answer for the
cold temperature performance. If they plan to produce 75m gallons the first
year for military aircraft and I assume tanks, they must plan to resolve a
lot of issues that could open the some doors for GA use of biodiesel.

NW_Pilot
June 26th 07, 04:49 PM
"Maxwell" > wrote in message

> "Peter Dohm" > wrote in message
>> "Maxwell" > wrote in message
>>> I guess Tyson foods plans on trimming some of the fat.
>>>
>>> http://www.syntroleum.com/pr_individualpressrelease.aspx?NewsID=1018955
>>>

>> There has been a good bit of discussion of "anything to oil" technology
>> over
>> the past couple of years--mostly involving poultry and slaughter house
>> waste. Some of the "guestimates" of the possible quantity seem
>> optomistic,
>> but it is a great idea and I am very glad to see it heading toward
>> production.
>>

> I agree. I have heard a lot also, but this is the first time I have heard
> of anything as significant as someone investing $150m. Really peaked my
> interest.
>
> It also seems interesting, they at least "think" the have an answer for
> the cold temperature performance. If they plan to produce 75m gallons the
> first year for military aircraft and I assume tanks, they must plan to
> resolve a lot of issues that could open the some doors for GA use of
> biodiesel.

Read about the history of engines their was diesel engines that ran off
whale oil!

Stella Starr
June 26th 07, 05:04 PM
Peter Dohm wrote:
> "Maxwell" > wrote in message
>> I guess Tyson foods plans on trimming some of the fat.
>>
>> http://www.syntroleum.com/pr_individualpressrelease.aspx?NewsID=1018955
Some of the "guestimates" of the possible quantity seem optomistic,
> but it is a great idea and I am very glad to see it heading toward
> production.

Considering what Tyson's done with poultry production and industry
wages, they're likely to give us biodiesel that costs 50 cents a gallon,
though all the refinery workers will be illegal aliens and every gas
station will have a chicken-manure lagoon out back.

Gatt
June 26th 07, 07:49 PM
Gives new meaning to the term "horsepower."

Perhaps we can coin a new term: "cowpower": It's the adjusted brake
horsepower of your aircraft engine while operating on animal fat.

Gig 601XL Builder
June 26th 07, 08:10 PM
Stella Starr wrote:
> Peter Dohm wrote:
>> "Maxwell" > wrote in message
>>> I guess Tyson foods plans on trimming some of the fat.
>>>
>>> http://www.syntroleum.com/pr_individualpressrelease.aspx?NewsID=1018955
> Some of the "guestimates" of the possible quantity seem optomistic,
>> but it is a great idea and I am very glad to see it heading toward
>> production.
>>

> Considering what Tyson's done with poultry production and industry
> wages, they're likely to give us biodiesel that costs 50 cents a
> gallon, though all the refinery workers will be illegal aliens and
> every gas station will have a chicken-manure lagoon out back.

I could live with that for $0.50 fuel.

Peter Dohm
June 26th 07, 08:18 PM
"Gig 601XL Builder" <wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net> wrote in message
> Stella Starr wrote:
> > Peter Dohm wrote:

http://www.syntroleum.com/pr_individualpressrelease.aspx?NewsID=1018955
> > Some of the "guestimates" of the possible quantity seem optomistic,
> >> but it is a great idea and I am very glad to see it heading toward
> >> production.
> >>

> > Considering what Tyson's done with poultry production and industry
> > wages, they're likely to give us biodiesel that costs 50 cents a
> > gallon, though all the refinery workers will be illegal aliens and
> > every gas station will have a chicken-manure lagoon out back.
>

> I could live with that for $0.50 fuel.

Then, we'll only need someone to bring the cost of a Theilert diesel down to
the same price as a Jabiru 2200....

Peter :-)

Dan Luke
June 26th 07, 11:34 PM
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:

>> Considering what Tyson's done with poultry production and industry
>> wages, they're likely to give us biodiesel that costs 50 cents a
>> gallon, though all the refinery workers will be illegal aliens and
>> every gas station will have a chicken-manure lagoon out back.
>

> I could live with that for $0.50 fuel.

Ever been close to a manure lagoon?

--
Dan

"Dragged forward by cold science, which doesn’t care what we think or believe
or wish for, we are headed into some interesting times."
- John Derbyshire

Ken Finney
June 27th 07, 12:19 AM
"Dan Luke" > wrote in message

> "Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:
>
>>> Considering what Tyson's done with poultry production and industry
>>> wages, they're likely to give us biodiesel that costs 50 cents a
>>> gallon, though all the refinery workers will be illegal aliens and
>>> every gas station will have a chicken-manure lagoon out back.
>>

>> I could live with that for $0.50 fuel.
>
> Ever been close to a manure lagoon?

Does Usenet count?

;^)

Robert M. Gary
June 27th 07, 12:39 AM
On Jun 26, 2:34 am, "NW_Pilot" >
wrote:
> "Maxwell" > wrote in message

> >I guess Tyson foods plans on trimming some of the fat.
>
> >http://www.syntroleum.com/pr_individualpressrelease.aspx?NewsID=1018955
>
> Wow! PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) may have a cow on this one! Speaking
> of Cow I feel like a Steak!

Your group is free to use the PETA name. I think the old PETA changed
their name to PETCA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Cute
Animals).

There is room for all of God's creatures right next to my peas.

-Robert

Dan Luke
June 27th 07, 01:00 AM
"Ken Finney" wrote:

>> Ever been close to a manure lagoon?
>>

> Does Usenet count?

Parts of it. I checked on alt.politics last week and haven't gotten the smell
out of my computer yet.

--
Dan

"Almost all the matter that came out of the Big Bang was two specific sorts;
hydrogen, and stupidity."

-Robert Carnegie in talk.origins

Peter Dohm
June 27th 07, 03:23 AM
"Dan Luke" > wrote in message

> "Ken Finney" wrote:
>

> >> Ever been close to a manure lagoon?
> >>

> > Does Usenet count?
>
> Parts of it. I checked on alt.politics last week and haven't gotten the
smell
> out of my computer yet.
>
> --
> Dan

And another keyboard bit the dust...

Peter

Dan[_2_]
June 27th 07, 04:27 AM
Dan Luke wrote:
> "Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:
>
>>> Considering what Tyson's done with poultry production and industry
>>> wages, they're likely to give us biodiesel that costs 50 cents a
>>> gallon, though all the refinery workers will be illegal aliens and
>>> every gas station will have a chicken-manure lagoon out back.
>>
>> I could live with that for $0.50 fuel.
>
> Ever been close to a manure lagoon?

On military bases sewage treatment lagoons are called officers' club
swimming pools.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Dan[_2_]
June 27th 07, 04:28 AM
NW_Pilot wrote:
> "Maxwell" > wrote in message
>> I guess Tyson foods plans on trimming some of the fat.
>>
>> http://www.syntroleum.com/pr_individualpressrelease.aspx?NewsID=1018955
>>

> Wow! PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) may have a cow on this one! Speaking
> of Cow I feel like a Steak!

How does one feel like a steak? Sit on a grill?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Dave[_5_]
June 27th 07, 05:28 AM
> Ever been close to a manure lagoon?

No, but I camped next to a chicken ranch once at Abbotsford, BC.
Hardly noticed it in the evening, but next morning the wind had
shifted - and omigawd what an awful smell!

More recently, the county raised pigs at their honor farm right next
to the airport where I was based. The wind was usually blowing the
wrong way.....

David Johnson

Peter Dohm
June 27th 07, 12:08 PM
"Dave" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> > Ever been close to a manure lagoon?
>
> No, but I camped next to a chicken ranch once at Abbotsford, BC.
> Hardly noticed it in the evening, but next morning the wind had
> shifted - and omigawd what an awful smell!
>
> More recently, the county raised pigs at their honor farm right next
> to the airport where I was based. The wind was usually blowing the
> wrong way.....
>
> David Johnson

That's when you realize that your nose is not nearly so plugged up as you
thought!

Peter :-(

Matt Barrow[_4_]
June 27th 07, 03:39 PM
"Dan" > wrote in message
> Dan Luke wrote:

>>> I could live with that for $0.50 fuel.
>>
>> Ever been close to a manure lagoon?
>>
> On military bases sewage treatment lagoons are called officers' club
> swimming pools.

In the Army, they're called "Mess Halls".

Gig 601XL Builder
June 27th 07, 04:56 PM
Dan Luke wrote:
> "Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:
>
>>> Considering what Tyson's done with poultry production and industry
>>> wages, they're likely to give us biodiesel that costs 50 cents a
>>> gallon, though all the refinery workers will be illegal aliens and
>>> every gas station will have a chicken-manure lagoon out back.
>>

>> I could live with that for $0.50 fuel.
>
> Ever been close to a manure lagoon?

Yes I have. Conagra has a large chicken processing facility in my home town.
They smell really bad, but so do pet food plants but I still buy dog food
for my Golden Retreiver.

Google