PDA

View Full Version : Happy 4th!

July 4th 07, 09:10 PM
I was out at KEUL (yes, it is a cool airport!) this morning assembling
some hardware in my friend's hangar, and it was nice to see all the GA
activity. Quite a few departures and arrivals of various certified
and experimental planes, plus an impromptu flyby down the runway at
500AGL by a pair of A10's.

With all the doom and gloom about GA activity levels it was good to
see so many folks out enjoying the holiday in the air this morning.

Happy 4th to you all!

Dean

Blueskies
July 4th 07, 10:47 PM
> wrote in message ups.com...
>I was out at KEUL (yes, it is a cool airport!) this morning assembling
> some hardware in my friend's hangar, and it was nice to see all the GA
> activity. Quite a few departures and arrivals of various certified
> and experimental planes, plus an impromptu flyby down the runway at
> 500AGL by a pair of A10's.
>
> With all the doom and gloom about GA activity levels it was good to
> see so many folks out enjoying the holiday in the air this morning.
>
> Happy 4th to you all!
>
> Dean

My favorite holiday...Happy 4th back at you!

Dan Luke[_2_]
July 4th 07, 11:03 PM
> wrote:

the holiday in the air this morning.

> Happy 4th to you all!

Same to you.

And my thanks to the men who put it all on the line so we'd have something to
celebrate.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Matt Whiting
July 4th 07, 11:13 PM
Dan Luke wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> the holiday in the air this morning.
>> Happy 4th to you all!
>
> Same to you.
>
> And my thanks to the men who put it all on the line so we'd have something to
> celebrate.

And the women. :-)

Matt

Peter Dohm
July 5th 07, 01:51 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I was out at KEUL (yes, it is a cool airport!) this morning assembling
> some hardware in my friend's hangar, and it was nice to see all the GA
> activity. Quite a few departures and arrivals of various certified
> and experimental planes, plus an impromptu flyby down the runway at
> 500AGL by a pair of A10's.
>
> With all the doom and gloom about GA activity levels it was good to
> see so many folks out enjoying the holiday in the air this morning.
>
> Happy 4th to you all!
>
> Dean

Glad to hear that all enjoyed the 4th, including the guys in the A10s.

Peter :-)

James
July 5th 07, 03:36 AM
wrote:

> I was out at KEUL (yes, it is a cool airport!) this morning assembling
> some hardware in my friend's hangar, and it was nice to see all the GA
> activity. Quite a few departures and arrivals of various certified
> and experimental planes, plus an impromptu flyby down the runway at
> 500AGL by a pair of A10's.
>
> With all the doom and gloom about GA activity levels it was good to
> see so many folks out enjoying the holiday in the air this morning.
>
> Happy 4th to you all!
>
> Dean

I was at KPEO, Penn Yan, NY, and we had our usual flying club 4th July,
breakfast. Despite the crappy weather, and not many fly ins, we were
still busy. I think that the queue was longer that last year. It was a
success.

James.

Montblack
July 5th 07, 06:43 AM
wrote)
>I was out at KEUL (yes, it is a cool airport!) this morning assembling some
>hardware in my friend's hangar, and it was nice to see all the GA activity.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KEUL
Caldwell Industrial Airport
Caldwell, Idaho, USA

Straight west of Boise - halfway to the Oregon border

Montblack

Jay Honeck
July 5th 07, 03:19 PM
> Happy 4th to you all!

Back atcha! Independence Day is the best holiday of the year,
IMHO.

We flew up to our hometown of Racine, WI and enjoyed an honest-to-
goodness Independence Day celebration -- including a parade that
lasted FOoR HOURS! It started at 8:30 AM (with dozens of fire
engines and squad cars from all the surrounding communities) and
didn't finish till the street sweepers rolled at 12:30 PM.

It's funny -- I grew up with that parade -- even marched in it a few
times -- and took it completely for granted when I lived there. Only
after I moved to a university town chock-full of apathy did I come to
appreciate a truly patriotic demonstration like the Racine Fourth of
July Parade. (Aviation content: They had a two C-130s fly the length
of the parade route at tree-top level -- very cool!)

In contrast, Iowa City's parade consists of...nothing. There *is* no
parade, in a town of 65,000 people. (IC is a complete anomaly in this
regard, BTW. I don't mean to besmirch all of Iowa in general, because
every other town over 100 people has a parade of some sort.)

It was our first time back to Racine for the parade in ten years, and
I'm really glad to see that they still pull it together each year. (I
can't imagine the amount of work that goes into it.) We then enjoyed
a spectacular fireworks display over Lake Michigan, from the deck of a
friend's boat in the harbor. VERY cool, indeed.

Now, we're looking at flying home to Iowa very shortly. A perfect
holiday, indeed!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Matt Barrow[_4_]
July 5th 07, 03:31 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> Happy 4th to you all!
>
> Back atcha! Independence Day is the best holiday of the year,
> IMHO.

These days, we should call it "Co-Dependance Day".

Gene Seibel
July 5th 07, 04:19 PM
On Jul 5, 9:19 am, Jay Honeck > wrote:
> > Happy 4th to you all!
>
> Back atcha! Independence Day is the best holiday of the year,
> IMHO.
>
> We flew up to our hometown of Racine, WI and enjoyed an honest-to-
> goodness Independence Day celebration -- including a parade that
> lasted FOoR HOURS! It started at 8:30 AM (with dozens of fire
> engines and squad cars from all the surrounding communities) and
> didn't finish till the street sweepers rolled at 12:30 PM.

Jay, we had a great one too. Flew down to Springfield, MO and spent
the day with family. The flight back to St Louis Regional began at
8:15 pm. From about Lebonan to St Louis (about 150 miles), there was
never more than a few seconds at a time that fireworks weren't going
off somewhere in our field of view, either coming up from below or
from the distant storm clouds to our southeast. It was an awesome
flight. Perhaps most interesting is that the nearly unlimited
visibility was brought down to 3 miles by a huge cloud of fireworks
residue drifting from downtown St Louis. That's some major weather
modification!
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html

Peter R.
July 5th 07, 08:12 PM
On 7/4/2007 10:36:02 PM, James wrote:

> I was at KPEO, Penn Yan, NY, and we had our usual flying club 4th July,
> breakfast. Despite the crappy weather, and not many fly ins, we were
> still busy. I think that the queue was longer that last year. It was a
> success.

I was going to fly into Penn Yan with my boys for your breakfast, but the
line of t-storms came much earlier than forecasted. Here in Syracuse
forecasters the night before were calling for thunderstorms in the region
after 14:00 local time, but when I glanced at the radar about 08:00 I saw
them already marching over Penn Yan and heading our way.

Glad to read it was a success despite the weather.

--
Peter

Morgans[_2_]
July 6th 07, 03:39 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote

> It was our first time back to Racine for the parade in ten years, and
> I'm really glad to see that they still pull it together each year. (I
> can't imagine the amount of work that goes into it.) We then enjoyed
> a spectacular fireworks display over Lake Michigan, from the deck of a
> friend's boat in the harbor. VERY cool, indeed.

We even have a spectacular fireworks display, in little 'ole Lenoir, NC.
The former city manager's brother was a certified fireworks person, whatever
that title is called. His company puts on a nearly nonstop 35 to 40 minute
display, with a minimum of 3 or 4 shells in the air most of the time.

Thanks, Lenoir! YOU DO IT RIGHT!
--
Jim in NC

Jay Honeck
July 6th 07, 04:42 AM
> We even have a spectacular fireworks display, in little 'ole Lenoir, NC.

Ya know, I'm starting to wonder if we've just seen a major
technological breakthrough -- or just a price drop -- in fireworks?
Literally EVERYONE I've talked to this year, from towns across the
USA, has been emphatic about how THEIR fireworks display was the "Best
ever!"

Maybe the Chinese dropped their prices enough so that every city in
America could afford a first-class fireworks display this year?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

john smith[_2_]
July 6th 07, 01:37 PM
In article >,
"Morgans" > wrote:

> "Jay Honeck" > wrote
>
> > It was our first time back to Racine for the parade in ten years, and
> > I'm really glad to see that they still pull it together each year. (I
> > can't imagine the amount of work that goes into it.) We then enjoyed
> > a spectacular fireworks display over Lake Michigan, from the deck of a
> > friend's boat in the harbor. VERY cool, indeed.
>
> We even have a spectacular fireworks display, in little 'ole Lenoir, NC.
> The former city manager's brother was a certified fireworks person, whatever
> that title is called. His company puts on a nearly nonstop 35 to 40 minute
> display, with a minimum of 3 or 4 shells in the air most of the time.
>
> Thanks, Lenoir! YOU DO IT RIGHT!

How do you get to Lenoir?
Fly straight to Grandfather Mountain, then slide down the east slope.
:-))

Gatt
July 6th 07, 08:23 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Ya know, I'm starting to wonder if we've just seen a major
> technological breakthrough -- or just a price drop -- in fireworks?
> Literally EVERYONE I've talked to this year, from towns across the
> USA, has been emphatic about how THEIR fireworks display was the "Best
> ever!"
>
> Maybe the Chinese dropped their prices enough so that every city in
> America could afford a first-class fireworks display this year?

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/30612

CHINA STOCKPILING MASSIVE FIREWORKS ARSENAL
"WASHINGTON, DC-Satellite photographs have revealed the recent
test-detonation of several hundred extremely small explosive devices in the
remote Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region of Southwestern China, sources from
the U.S. Department of Defense reported Monday."

....Since China is already in possession of enough fireworks to delight the
entire world 50 times over, we can only assume that they're gearing up for
an imminent celebration of unprecedented size."...

Morgans[_2_]
July 7th 07, 01:05 AM
"john smith" > wrote

> How do you get to Lenoir?
> Fly straight to Grandfather Mountain, then slide down the east slope.
> :-))

Or sOMEthing like that! <g>
--
Jim in NC