PDA

View Full Version : Pix and video of my biplane formation flight

Jay Honeck
July 5th 07, 03:26 PM
As promised:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/biplane_formation_flight.htm

It really was the flight of a lifetime. As I was sitting in that
cockpit, leather helmet on, scarf streaming in the wind, perfectly
comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt on a lovely July evening, I
realized that heaven could very well be just like this.... Flying
behind a classic radial engine, with an antique biplane on each
wing...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Orval Fairbairn
July 5th 07, 04:42 PM
In article om>,
Jay Honeck > wrote:

> As promised:
>
> http://www.alexisparkinn.com/biplane_formation_flight.htm
>
> It really was the flight of a lifetime. As I was sitting in that
> cockpit, leather helmet on, scarf streaming in the wind, perfectly
> comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt on a lovely July evening, I
> realized that heaven could very well be just like this.... Flying
> behind a classic radial engine, with an antique biplane on each
> wing...

Great pics, Jay! C'mon, guys, tighten it up!

Is the P-6E full scale? It looks great!

Did you get to meet the SX-300 gang from Spruce Creek there Monday,
Tuesday?

Jay Honeck
July 6th 07, 04:45 AM
> Great pics, Jay! C'mon, guys, tighten it up!

The guy flying the Hawk replica (Keith) has a whopping 10 hours on the
plane. He's not gonna do anything "tight" just yet.

> Is the P-6E full scale? It looks great!

Nope, it's 82%. I've watched it from when it was nothing but a set of
blueprints, all the way to first flight -- it's an amazing process to
observe from start to finish.

> Did you get to meet the SX-300 gang from Spruce Creek there Monday,
> Tuesday?

Nope. Although I DID notice an SX-300 parked in our old United Hangar
-- our buddy Harry said nothing about it to anyone, AFAIK.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Orval Fairbairn
July 6th 07, 05:13 AM
In article om>,
Jay Honeck > wrote:

> > Great pics, Jay! C'mon, guys, tighten it up!
>
> The guy flying the Hawk replica (Keith) has a whopping 10 hours on the
> plane. He's not gonna do anything "tight" just yet.
>
> > Is the P-6E full scale? It looks great!
>
> Nope, it's 82%. I've watched it from when it was nothing but a set of
> blueprints, all the way to first flight -- it's an amazing process to
> observe from start to finish.
>
> > Did you get to meet the SX-300 gang from Spruce Creek there Monday,
> > Tuesday?
>
> Nope. Although I DID notice an SX-300 parked in our old United Hangar
> -- our buddy Harry said nothing about it to anyone, AFAIK.
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Actually, there were three -- Keith, Jim and the Mississippi Gang, plus
Tony in the Egg.

Jay Honeck
July 6th 07, 05:28 AM
> Actually, there were three -- Keith, Jim and the Mississippi Gang, plus
> Tony in the Egg

Dang. Well, they must've been the "Stealth SX-300s, cuz no one seems
to have heard much about them. I never even heard them come in on
Unicom -- but then we left on Tuesday evening, so maybe they arrived
after that?

Too bad -- they are 'bout the coolest planes on the planet. I'd have
loved to have seen them.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Orval Fairbairn
July 6th 07, 08:14 PM
In article om>,
Jay Honeck > wrote:

> > Actually, there were three -- Keith, Jim and the Mississippi Gang, plus
> > Tony in the Egg
>
> Dang. Well, they must've been the "Stealth SX-300s, cuz no one seems
> to have heard much about them. I never even heard them come in on
> Unicom -- but then we left on Tuesday evening, so maybe they arrived
> after that?
>
> Too bad -- they are 'bout the coolest planes on the planet. I'd have
> loved to have seen them.
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

You might have heard, "Red Flight of Four, 2 Mile Initial," followed in
about 30 seconds by, "Red Flight in the Break."

Google