PDA

View Full Version : What lense?

john smith[_2_]
July 5th 07, 03:54 PM
I just purchased an Olympus E-510 DSLR.
What lense are most of you using for airshow photography?
Fixed focus or zoom?
Handheld or tripod mounted?

niceguy
July 5th 07, 04:05 PM
What's a "lense"?

john smith[_2_]
July 5th 07, 05:56 PM
"niceguy" > wrote:
> What's a "lense"?

Although the variant spelling ³lense² is listed in some dictionaries,
the standard spelling for those little disks that focus light is ³lens.²

Clairbear
July 5th 07, 06:04 PM
john smith > wrote in news:468d060e$0$4658
:

> I just purchased an Olympus E-510 DSLR.
> What lense are most of you using for airshow photography?
> Fixed focus or zoom?
> Handheld or tripod mounted?

Tamron makes a great 28-300mm zoom I use one on my Canon
as for the tripod It would tend to be an obstruction freely moving aroun
the airshow

Jim Morris[_2_]
July 5th 07, 08:07 PM
"john smith" > wrote in message
>I just purchased an Olympus E-510 DSLR.
> What lense are most of you using for airshow photography?
> Fixed focus or zoom?
> Handheld or tripod mounted?

I use a Sigma 70-300 and I like it with my Canon 400D. No tripod.

Cheers,

Jim Morris

Maple1
July 5th 07, 08:18 PM
john smith wrote:

> I just purchased an Olympus E-510 DSLR.
> What lense are most of you using for airshow photography?
> Fixed focus or zoom?
> Handheld or tripod mounted?

Depends what you can find for that body

About 400mm is best but not fixed

I use the Sigma Bigma 50-500 and my Canon 75-300 for most shots

But I have CAnon bodies

john smith[_2_]
July 5th 07, 09:34 PM
> john smith wrote:
> > I just purchased an Olympus E-510 DSLR.
> > What lense are most of you using for airshow photography?
> > Fixed focus or zoom?
> > Handheld or tripod mounted?

> Maple1 > wrote:
> Depends what you can find for that body
> About 400mm is best but not fixed
> I use the Sigma Bigma 50-500 and my Canon 75-300 for most shots
> But I have CAnon bodies

I purchased the two-lens kit. The lenses included are a 28-84 mm
auto-focus equivalent and an 80-300 mm auto-focus equivalent. They will
have a 140-600 mm auto-focus equivalent available in October.
I am awaiting the delivery of an adaptor that will allow me to use my
existing OM lenses. This will require use of manual setting and focusing
of the E-510.
One of the lenses I have is a 500 mm fixed f8 parabolic mirror. This
will become either a 750 mm or a 1000 mm equivalent lens on the E-510.
I am not yet certain what the conversion factor is for the 4/3 sensor.
Am I correct in believing that everything will be focused at infinity
during an airshow?

I gave serious consideration to a Canon because of the low noise at 800
ISO and above. The ability to use my existing lenses and improvements in
the E-510 over the E-500. became the deciding factors.

®i©ardo
July 5th 07, 09:43 PM
Jim Morris wrote:

> "john smith" > wrote in message
>> I just purchased an Olympus E-510 DSLR.
>> What lense are most of you using for airshow photography?
>> Fixed focus or zoom?
>> Handheld or tripod mounted?
>
> I use a Sigma 70-300 and I like it with my Canon 400D. No tripod.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jim Morris

Hand job, eh?

--
Moving things in still pictures!

Jens Averbeck
July 5th 07, 10:14 PM
Am Thu, 05 Jul 2007 10:54:05 -0400 schrieb john smith:

> I just purchased an Olympus E-510 DSLR. What lense are most of you using
> for airshow photography? Fixed focus or zoom?
> Handheld or tripod mounted?

Hi,

how about a 500mm F/5,6 Maksutov Cassegrain (MTO 500, NOT the MTO 500S),
need an M42 Adapter and its only Manual Focus, but its quite small.

Or try the famous MTO1000 (1000mm F/10 Maksutov Cassegrain) if u need
that much focal length.

As far as i know the E-510 has a crop Factor of 2 which would make a
1000mm of MTO500 and a 2000mm for the MTO 1000.

Btw theres a M42 - Eyepiece adapter for the MTO1000 which makes a
Telescope out of the MTO 1000.

Regards
Jens

Ron Monroe
July 5th 07, 10:48 PM
It doesn't matter if it's a digital or film camera, the way you use the
camera is the same. I would think that the only time you would use a tripod,
would be for low light situations where you would need long exposure times,
when you need a steady camera. I could see using one at the museums, where
they generally have low light, but not at an airshow. If you want to shoot a
high speed pass, you don't know how high off the ground he will be in front
of you. He may even climb, so, that would require you to crank up the height
of the camera very quickly, or pickup the tripod while holding on to the
camera. You want to be able to move the camera with the subject in order to
avoid blurring of the image. A tripod doesn't help.

I have a couple of lens, both zoom. The general purpose small zoom will take
care of most of the static close up aircraft. It's an 18-55mm lens. For
flying stuff, I use a 75-300mm. This is large enough for most aircraft I
shoot, and small enough to put in my case. However, there are times I wish I
had the 400mm zoom. or larger, but then, it starts getting expensive. Zooms
allow you to get several focal lengths without carrying a lot of lens around
with you.
Ron

"john smith" > wrote in message
>I just purchased an Olympus E-510 DSLR.
> What lense are most of you using for airshow photography?
> Fixed focus or zoom?
> Handheld or tripod mounted?

Scubabix
July 6th 07, 01:45 AM
"john smith" > wrote in message
>> john smith wrote:
>> > I just purchased an Olympus E-510 DSLR.
>> > What lense are most of you using for airshow photography?
>> > Fixed focus or zoom?
>> > Handheld or tripod mounted?
>
>> Maple1 > wrote:
>> Depends what you can find for that body
>> About 400mm is best but not fixed
>> I use the Sigma Bigma 50-500 and my Canon 75-300 for most shots
>> But I have CAnon bodies
>
> I purchased the two-lens kit. The lenses included are a 28-84 mm
> auto-focus equivalent and an 80-300 mm auto-focus equivalent. They will
> have a 140-600 mm auto-focus equivalent available in October.
> I am awaiting the delivery of an adaptor that will allow me to use my
> existing OM lenses. This will require use of manual setting and focusing
> of the E-510.
> One of the lenses I have is a 500 mm fixed f8 parabolic mirror. This
> will become either a 750 mm or a 1000 mm equivalent lens on the E-510.
> I am not yet certain what the conversion factor is for the 4/3 sensor.
> Am I correct in believing that everything will be focused at infinity
> during an airshow?
>
> I gave serious consideration to a Canon because of the low noise at 800
> ISO and above. The ability to use my existing lenses and improvements in
> the E-510 over the E-500. became the deciding factors.

I'm not sure how fast the auto-focus is on the Olympus, but I've had a
couple guys that shoot a lot of airshows recommend setting it to manual
since the distances you're shooting at will be out at your infinity range
anyway. I haven't shot any since I heard this so I can't relate any
experiences on it. Has anyone else ever done this?
Rob

--
Support www.HonorFlight.org
Show a Vet that you remember.

Lynn in StLou[_2_]
July 6th 07, 02:03 AM
Scubabix wrote:
>>> Maple1 > wrote:
>>> Depends what you can find for that body
>>> About 400mm is best but not fixed
>>> I use the Sigma Bigma 50-500 and my Canon 75-300 for most shots
>>> But I have CAnon bodies
>> I purchased the two-lens kit. The lenses included are a 28-84 mm
>> auto-focus equivalent and an 80-300 mm auto-focus equivalent. They will
>> have a 140-600 mm auto-focus equivalent available in October.
>> I am awaiting the delivery of an adaptor that will allow me to use my
>> existing OM lenses. This will require use of manual setting and focusing
>> of the E-510.
>> One of the lenses I have is a 500 mm fixed f8 parabolic mirror. This
>> will become either a 750 mm or a 1000 mm equivalent lens on the E-510.
>> I am not yet certain what the conversion factor is for the 4/3 sensor.
>> Am I correct in believing that everything will be focused at infinity
>> during an airshow?
>>
>> I gave serious consideration to a Canon because of the low noise at 800
>> ISO and above. The ability to use my existing lenses and improvements in
>> the E-510 over the E-500. became the deciding factors.
>
> I'm not sure how fast the auto-focus is on the Olympus, but I've had a
> couple guys that shoot a lot of airshows recommend setting it to manual
> since the distances you're shooting at will be out at your infinity range
> anyway. I haven't shot any since I heard this so I can't relate any
> experiences on it. Has anyone else ever done this?
> Rob

I would second the manual set to to infinity. I
recently had an opportunity to shoot a shuttle
launch and got only three decent pics because the
autofocus was hunting. Had I left it manual
infinity, I am certain I would have had a good
many more pics. I

--
Lynn in StLou
REMOVETHIS anti-spam measure to reply

john smith[_2_]
July 6th 07, 03:03 AM
Thanks for all the advice.
I am new to this digital autofocus stuff and have not shot airshows with
film for over 15 years. (I am going to have to scan and post some of my
old work.)

Does anyone use the "burst/sequential" mode when they shoot?

Ron Monroe
July 6th 07, 03:18 AM
Sure, sometimes unintentionally. You get a series of shots at different
angles, and sometimes one comes out sharper than the others. It doesn't cost
anything, so, why not? Just keep and extra battery and photo card with your
camera. especially good for something like the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds.
Ron

"john smith" > wrote in message
> Thanks for all the advice.
> I am new to this digital autofocus stuff and have not shot airshows with
> film for over 15 years. (I am going to have to scan and post some of my
> old work.)
>
> Does anyone use the "burst/sequential" mode when they shoot?

Andrew-S
July 6th 07, 05:16 AM
In the air to air roll I use the Canon 17-85IS, the Canon 70-200 4.0L.

For air shows I use the Canon 17-85IS and the Tokina 80-400 ATX.

For static I use the Canon 17-85IS, and the Canon 10-22EFS.

For air to ground I use the Canon 50 1.4, the Sigma 30 1.4. and the Canon
70-200 4.0L

Andrew

"john smith" > wrote in message
>I just purchased an Olympus E-510 DSLR.
> What lense are most of you using for airshow photography?
> Fixed focus or zoom?
> Handheld or tripod mounted?

Bob Harrington
July 6th 07, 11:35 AM

Woody
July 7th 07, 12:00 AM
I have tried shooting some aircraft in the landing approach from my back
deck and find the infinity focus is much further than the planes. I am using
a Canon xti with a 70-300 IS USM lens. Single spot AF seems to work best for
me.

"Lynn in StLou" > wrote in message
t...
> Scubabix wrote:
>>> I purchased the two-lens kit. The lenses included are a 28-84 mm
>>> auto-focus equivalent and an 80-300 mm auto-focus equivalent. They will
>>> have a 140-600 mm auto-focus equivalent available in October.
>>> I am awaiting the delivery of an adaptor that will allow me to use my
>>> existing OM lenses. This will require use of manual setting and focusing
>>> of the E-510.
>>> One of the lenses I have is a 500 mm fixed f8 parabolic mirror. This
>>> will become either a 750 mm or a 1000 mm equivalent lens on the E-510.
>>> I am not yet certain what the conversion factor is for the 4/3 sensor.
>>> Am I correct in believing that everything will be focused at infinity
>>> during an airshow?
>>>
>>> I gave serious consideration to a Canon because of the low noise at 800
>>> ISO and above. The ability to use my existing lenses and improvements in
>>> the E-510 over the E-500. became the deciding factors.
>>
>> I'm not sure how fast the auto-focus is on the Olympus, but I've had a
>> couple guys that shoot a lot of airshows recommend setting it to manual
>> since the distances you're shooting at will be out at your infinity range
>> anyway. I haven't shot any since I heard this so I can't relate any
>> experiences on it. Has anyone else ever done this?
>> Rob
>>

> I would second the manual set to to infinity. I recently had an
> opportunity to shoot a shuttle launch and got only three decent pics
> because the autofocus was hunting. Had I left it manual infinity, I am
> certain I would have had a good many more pics. I
>
> --
> Lynn in StLou
> REMOVETHIS anti-spam measure to reply

E.D.
July 10th 07, 12:33 AM
Nikor 400mm f2.8 ED/IF AF on a Kodak Pro14n with Kenlabs Gyro, Manual focus
and exposure.

"niceguy" > wrote in message
> What's a "lense"?

Google