PDA

View Full Version : halon- full inhalation

angie1971
July 7th 07, 04:24 AM
Hi there.
Seems to be alot of discussion on the halon dry chem, used in fire
extinguishers.
My unfortunate luck would put me in fornt of an emergency self pull trigger.
It actually is used in the engine compartment where if you have a fire break
out, it is able to self extinguish the area without the human pulling out the
pin. Usu. takes a high temp to do this though.
Back to my bad luck story. I was building luxury, or not, big boats, in
Roseburg, Oregon. Soecifically...Bayliner Marine, of Brunswick, COrp.
LOLOLOL!! I was within no more than 1.5-2" away form the damn thing and
IT WENT OFF!! Yep right into the mouth of mine. Nicely done! Oh this may
have been about 5 yrs ago, but YES still having alot of bronchial porblems
that are too gross to explain. I screamed when it blew, and tried like heck
to cover my mouth and eyes, was wearing a solid silver ring that completely
disappeared like into thin air form the extreme freeeze it put out. I
suffered a major coughing attack and was rushed to Mercy Med Emerg, whrere of
course, just like Bayliner, had no idea about an MSDS sheet or who/what halon
even was!! That's seriously retarded! I cannot figure out later why I got a
write-up when I was no where near the damn thing with another body part,
other than my mouth, and it wasn't like I was sucking on the trigger, or even
would consider doing this retarded act to sponge off the ill-skilled workers
comp insurance!!
Even though this was an accident I am still left without any type of
compensation. I am not a gold digger but dang! I read several different
entries here of the halon comments and stories. They sure did help ease some
of my hysteria for the moment. I know it just sits in the black bottom of
whatever it got into, but think about your lung capacity for a moment. OK
then, what is the trade off where it is sitting... how much of my lungs
really have their true function if they are simply buried in an unknown amout
of halon??
Follow me??
I am certainly concerned for my longevity (life).
ANY SERIOUS HELPFUL HINTS OR TIPS?? I AM KINDA POOP OUT OF LUCK IN EVERY
SINGLE SITE I HAVE POSTED MY QUESTION.

I GRACIOUSLY APPRECIATE EVERY BIT OF HELP I CAN MUSTER, BECAUSE EVERYWHERE
I'VE TURNED HAS LEFT ME WITHOUT A DROP OF INFO, NOT TO MENTION THE WILD GOOSE
CHASE THEY SENT ME ON...

VERY ANXIOUS,
ANGIE BENEDICT

THANKS AGAIN!

Scott[_1_]
July 7th 07, 04:53 AM
Maybe this will help...

http://erd.dli.mt.gov/safetyhealth/brochures/halon.pdf

Scott

--
Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/

Ron Natalie
July 7th 07, 01:00 PM
Actually, absent any actual fire and as long as you don't get so
confined with the flood of Halon that you can't believe, the stuff
is pretty inert. It does like any expanding liquid get very cold.

There are some obnoxious products (HBr, HCl) liberated when the
stuff is interacting with fire, but those are in fairly small
quantities.

Most of my info on Halon comes from a couple of NFPA booklets
on the subject I got back when I was working with the stuff in
the computer industry.

Peter Dohm
July 7th 07, 02:42 PM
"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
m...
> Actually, absent any actual fire and as long as you don't get so
> confined with the flood of Halon that you can't believe, the stuff
> is pretty inert. It does like any expanding liquid get very cold.
>
> There are some obnoxious products (HBr, HCl) liberated when the
> stuff is interacting with fire, but those are in fairly small
> quantities.
>
> Most of my info on Halon comes from a couple of NFPA booklets
> on the subject I got back when I was working with the stuff in
> the computer industry.

That is the same info as I had from the few halon extinguishers to which I
have had access when I worked on electronic equipment, and also when
recently studying for a refrigerant license. There are actually a number of
halons; so that specific information, such as an MSDS, might require a
little information from the label on the extinguisher. With that as a
starting point, the rest is only a Google (or Yahoo) search away.

Peter

Ron Natalie
July 8th 07, 01:39 PM
The two fire fighting ones in user are 1309 and 1211. You
small hand extinguisher probably is 1211.

wright1902glider
July 9th 07, 07:26 PM
Did you have any injuries from the freezing gas? I once made the
mistake of touching the side of a propane tank that was cryogenically
cold. It was an ordinary barbeque cylinder, but I was burning the gas
off at a very high rate through the 'ole Cajun Crawfish Cooker. Well,
before you could say doubble-dog dare, my right hand froze to the side
of the tank. The result: 2nd degree "burns", abscence of fingerprints
for 4 months (scars are smooth), and lingering nerve damage. Some days
it pays to be left-handed.

Harry

angie1971 via AviationKB.com
July 13th 07, 10:26 PM
YES! I suffer now from serious lung phlem,choking me out sometimes. I
appologize for the lack of urgency on my part of not replying to you more
quickly.I still am not sure about the long term effects of my inhalation, but
I will say this, I sure never suffered from what I have to deal with now!
Bayliner Marine here in Roseburg, Oregon is where I was working when this
happened, and they aren't and still haven't, helped me out AT ALL with any of
this. No info or med or anything! I have a huge amount of links though, that
you might find usefull, as did I. That's how I ended here with all you very
helpful and real people.
In fact if you do want them leet me know and I will email them to you. But
they are all on HALON. Thank You, by he way for your contacting me on this.
I still don't really know alot about HALON gas. I still can't get any info
from the sites that handle this kind of stuff. Really. They don't even know
about it some of the times I contact them. Funny HuH? Well I will check my
email more often and try to get back to you more quickly. Thanks so much for
your question. Did you suffer any long term effects from the propane?
Normally the two are never combined, as far as I've learned, but the HALON is
in it's own class of gases I guess.
Oh yeah, by the way, propane is very apt to do that, what it did to you.
Very common, heard of a guy that lost his entire hand due to a release of
propane from filling a tank. Scary.
talk later. Angie B.

wright1902glider wrote:
>Did you have any injuries from the freezing gas? I once made the
>mistake of touching the side of a propane tank that was cryogenically
>cold. It was an ordinary barbeque cylinder, but I was burning the gas
>off at a very high rate through the 'ole Cajun Crawfish Cooker. Well,
>before you could say doubble-dog dare, my right hand froze to the side
>of the tank. The result: 2nd degree "burns", abscence of fingerprints
>for 4 months (scars are smooth), and lingering nerve damage. Some days
>it pays to be left-handed.
>
>Harry

angie1971 via AviationKB.com
July 13th 07, 10:28 PM
Ron Natalie wrote:
>The two fire fighting ones in user are 1309 and 1211. You
>small hand extinguisher probably is 1211.

YES I believe that is the same as I experienced. I am trying to find my
notes on it. Ihave about a hundred or so of them. hahaha. but really.

angie1971 via AviationKB.com
July 13th 07, 11:34 PM
Yes I understand that from all of the info I've read that are a few different
numbers that exist for HALON. I believe 1211 is the right one.
What exaclty did you get out of your prior stuff from what you typed here?
Is there anything that you reaad that describes what it does if you inhale it
directly? I have found nothing in all the sites I've gone to that has
anything on my deal...I only found the same for being confined and the
experiments on men and some raats and dogs. nothing I mean nothing on my
same deal. I have alot of sites that were given to me from a guy in the EPA.
He had never even heard of HALON. Go figure. Thanks for getting back to me. I
wish I knew what the effects of it were, because I think I suffer from it. I
would like to know if I had a chance to bring it to the work comp jerks in my
area.
Thaks again for the reply, I appreciate!! Talk later, Angie B.

Peter Dohm wrote:
>> Actually, absent any actual fire and as long as you don't get so
>> confined with the flood of Halon that you can't believe, the stuff
>[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
>> on the subject I got back when I was working with the stuff in
>> the computer industry.
>
>That is the same info as I had from the few halon extinguishers to which I
>have had access when I worked on electronic equipment, and also when
>recently studying for a refrigerant license. There are actually a number of
>halons; so that specific information, such as an MSDS, might require a
>little information from the label on the extinguisher. With that as a
>starting point, the rest is only a Google (or Yahoo) search away.
>
>Peter

Mark Hickey
July 13th 07, 11:44 PM
"angie1971 via AviationKB.com" <u35326@uwe> wrote:

>YES! I suffer now from serious lung phlem,choking me out sometimes. I
>appologize for the lack of urgency on my part of not replying to you more
>quickly.I still am not sure about the long term effects of my inhalation, but
>I will say this, I sure never suffered from what I have to deal with now!
>Bayliner Marine here in Roseburg, Oregon is where I was working when this
>happened, and they aren't and still haven't, helped me out AT ALL with any of
>this. No info or med or anything! I have a huge amount of links though, that
>you might find usefull, as did I. That's how I ended here with all you very
>helpful and real people.
>In fact if you do want them leet me know and I will email them to you. But
>they are all on HALON. Thank You, by he way for your contacting me on this.
>I still don't really know alot about HALON gas. I still can't get any info
>from the sites that handle this kind of stuff. Really. They don't even know
>about it some of the times I contact them. Funny HuH? Well I will check my
>email more often and try to get back to you more quickly. Thanks so much for
>your question. Did you suffer any long term effects from the propane?
>Normally the two are never combined, as far as I've learned, but the HALON is
>in it's own class of gases I guess.
>Oh yeah, by the way, propane is very apt to do that, what it did to you.
>Very common, heard of a guy that lost his entire hand due to a release of
>propane from filling a tank. Scary.
>talk later. Angie B.

I'm thinking that the problem very likely isn't that the gas your
lungs were abused with, but the sheer pressure and maybe temperature
of it. I used to scuba dive, and we were drilled relentlessly on
proper technique to come to the surface. Since there's a one
atmosphere change in pressure every 33 feet or so, it's really quite
easy to rupture tissue in your lungs ascending without exhaling. My
SCUBA instructor claimed that you can injure / kill yourself in
relatively shallow water (like a swimming pool) if you take a really
deep breath and surface quickly.

From the description of the incident, it's hard to imagine you didn't
end up with some pretty serious pressurization in your lungs, and if
so, that would have to have ruptured some of the air sacs and other
various bits. You wouldn't have the typical nitrogen narcosis
associated with a diving incident since the there isn't any nitrogen
in a halon bottle (an assumption, however).

You might look up a doctor who's been schooled in treating divers and
see if there's anything they can add.

Mark "lobster hunter" Hickey

Peter Dohm
July 14th 07, 10:58 PM

"angie1971 via AviationKB.com" <u35326@uwe> wrote in message
> Yes I understand that from all of the info I've read that are a few
different
> numbers that exist for HALON. I believe 1211 is the right one.
> What exaclty did you get out of your prior stuff from what you typed here?
> Is there anything that you reaad that describes what it does if you inhale
it
> directly? I have found nothing in all the sites I've gone to that has
> anything on my deal...I only found the same for being confined and the
> experiments on men and some raats and dogs. nothing I mean nothing on my
> same deal. I have alot of sites that were given to me from a guy in the
EPA.
> He had never even heard of HALON. Go figure. Thanks for getting back to
me. I
> wish I knew what the effects of it were, because I think I suffer from it.
> would like to know if I had a chance to bring it to the work comp jerks in
my
> area.
> Thaks again for the reply, I appreciate!! Talk later, Angie B.

The following are the information which I could readily locate, with the aid
of my copy of a study guide for refrigerants--followed by a Google search.

Halon 1301 is another name for Refrigerant 13B1 a/ka/ CBrF3
http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/chemicals/cn/Bromotrifluoromethane.ht
ml
and a related MSDS can be viewed at
http://www.mathesontrigas.com/pdfs/msds/MAT24070.pdf

Halon 1211 is another name for Refrigerant 12B1 a/ka/ CBrClF2
and a related MSDS is available as a halon at
http://www.wfrfire.com/website/msds/halon.htm
and as a refrigerant at
http://www1.boc.com/uk/sds/special/r12b1.pdf

Please bear in mind that both of these chemicals are classified as both
refrigerants and fire suppressants, although the Bromine containing variants
may not receive significant use as refrigerants. In any case, there may be
two versions of the MSDS in each case.

Also, as suggested elsewhere in this thread, there may be similarity between
burns and frostbite--so the personnel at the nearest burn center may be able
to point you in a usefull direction; and in the event that pressure was a
factor, there may also be a decompression center with personnel who have
some usefull information. It is reasonable to suppose that the personnel in
each of those specialties will know the names of the other related
specialties, which certainly exceeds my knowledge, and they amy also be able
to recommend practitioners nearby.

Let us all know of your progress,
Peter

angie1971 via AviationKB.com
July 20th 07, 03:14 AM
WOW! You are certainly awsome! Thank you for all the info. You have supplied
me with so much info that I am more than gracious. Also because others will
read this, more also came from others, as seen in this thread. Thank you all
so much. I am going to investigate the links you gave me here, Thank You
Peter. Talk later. Angie.

Peter Dohm wrote:
>[quoted text clipped - 24 lines]
>> area.
>> Thaks again for the reply, I appreciate!! Talk later, Angie B.
>
>The following are the information which I could readily locate, with the aid
>of my copy of a study guide for refrigerants--followed by a Google search.
>
>Halon 1301 is another name for Refrigerant 13B1 a/ka/ CBrF3
>http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/chemicals/cn/Bromotrifluoromethane.ht
>ml
>and a related MSDS can be viewed at
>http://www.mathesontrigas.com/pdfs/msds/MAT24070.pdf
>
>Halon 1211 is another name for Refrigerant 12B1 a/ka/ CBrClF2
>and a related MSDS is available as a halon at
>http://www.wfrfire.com/website/msds/halon.htm
>and as a refrigerant at
>http://www1.boc.com/uk/sds/special/r12b1.pdf
>
>Please bear in mind that both of these chemicals are classified as both
>refrigerants and fire suppressants, although the Bromine containing variants
>may not receive significant use as refrigerants. In any case, there may be
>two versions of the MSDS in each case.
>
>Also, as suggested elsewhere in this thread, there may be similarity between
>burns and frostbite--so the personnel at the nearest burn center may be able
>to point you in a usefull direction; and in the event that pressure was a
>factor, there may also be a decompression center with personnel who have
>some usefull information. It is reasonable to suppose that the personnel in
>each of those specialties will know the names of the other related
>specialties, which certainly exceeds my knowledge, and they amy also be able
>to recommend practitioners nearby.
>
>Let us all know of your progress,
>Peter

Google